AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-10-14, 11:48   Link #101
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Usually there is a re-release because the game sold well enough to warrant it. Otherwise it would be ruled that the potential market isn't big enough.

The Japanese pay more attention to the overseas market now, but they still hold Japanese sales dear to their heart. Unfortunately.

Indeed, a wad of cash for Tales of Vesperia on Xbox 360. So the install base isn't the only criteria.
Old 2009-10-14, 12:32   Link #102
Sides

Some news on the pre-order bonus on andriasang. I'm wondering if ToG will be using WiiShopChannel for its DLC or some kind of own system. There was a scan posted on some sites showing an odd interface screen, with the nintendo Wi-Fi logo next to it.
You can also find the pre-order bonus info on the official homepage, under spec.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 13:08   Link #103
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

80 dollars?! *gasp*... I hope that's not the price when it gets localized...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 13:16   Link #104
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Ueh.......... 80...
I want to import it... But maybe I'll settle with LA3.............

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 13:51   Link #105
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ueh.......... 80...
I want to import it... But maybe I'll settle with LA3.............
It's actually 82 and some change, and if you're importing theres a chance that the price would be jacked up too =_=...
Old 2009-10-14, 13:54   Link #106
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Some news on the pre-order bonus on andriasang. I'm wondering if ToG will be using WiiShopChannel for its DLC or some kind of own system. There was a scan posted on some sites showing an odd interface screen, with the nintendo Wi-Fi logo next to it.
You can also find the pre-order bonus info on the official homepage, under spec.
I can suspect its own system, similar to FFIV:tAY. There was an in-game DLC screen, which increased in content every month, even showing you how many Wii points you had. If a WiiWare game can do it, I'm sure a main game can.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 17:40   Link #107
Sides

Quote:
Where did you get the price from? I paid $73.80 using a $5 voucher at Play-asia. But yup, importing japanese games is much more expensive than it used to be. I just had a look some games on PA, some cost up to 60% more than their localised version, NTSC-U.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 17:45   Link #108
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Where did you get the price from? I paid $73.80 using a $5 voucher at Play-asia. But yup, importing japanese games is much more expensive than it used to be. I just had a look some games on PA, some cost up to 60% more than their localised version, NTSC-U.
7,329 yen is roughly 80 U.S dollars. I'm just going by what the article you posted says.
Old 2009-10-14, 17:47   Link #109
Excorsism

Spoiler for DLC:

Old 2009-10-15, 08:17   Link #110
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

In Japan, game prices are much more flexible. The retail price of $80 for big RPGs is not unheard of.
Old 2009-10-15, 15:30   Link #111
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
No of course not. It'll be either $59.99 or 69.99. Probably the latter since it's a localization.

Quote:
Tales of Destiny II - 517k
Tales of Rebirth - 385k
Abyss - 378k
Destiny R - 265k
Vesperia PS3 - 225k
Symphonia - 179k
Vesperia - 175k
You know this doesn't surprise me seeing as how Destiny is easily the most generic of the franchises and this is the market that holds Dragon Quest as the king of all RPG franchises. Granted Destiny II has the equivalent of mount everest over plain old Destiny, but it's still pretty weaksauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Some of us liked the cheese.... I agree with you on the rest though.
One of my favourite lol scenes in TOS is still the whole "Here it's Hot Coffee.....no it's really Iced Coffee......I LIED IT'S ACTUALLY HOT!!!!!" thing where Lloyd is trying to see how messed up Collette's senses have become, partially because Lloyd sounds so much like a surfer dude trying to sound intense. I inserted my own dramatic "DUH DUH" organ noise into the scene when he found out the truth. It's just such an awesomely over dramatic and roundabout way of going about it, but it is reasonably creative just the same.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-10-15 at 15:45.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 17:04   Link #112
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

You're talking as if Dragon Quest is generic, when it's more original than Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy, now that's generic.
Old 2009-10-15, 18:50   Link #113
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
You're talking as if Dragon Quest is generic, when it's more original than Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy, now that's generic.
Okay well let me just go over a checklist of why I find DQ generic and then you can do one of FF:

- Exact same monster cast throughout each game except for the bosses
- Same overall graphical style since the beginning beyond the transition to 3D maps with VIII
- Same battle system that kind of went out of style in the 80's.
- Same overall premise of story. Evil threatens the land, heroes set out to defeat evil, gain new spells, level up, get new equipment, beat evil, find out there's an even greater power behind the evil and then defeat said evil after about another 1/3 of the game.
- Character designs by Akira Toriyama who as much as he's a legend can only draw in one style and item creation system that was developed 8 years before it's time.

It leaves one with the feeling of a franchise that hasn't evolved at all with time and is still stuck trudging the same ground as it's forebearer which came over 23 years ago. I'll just say that Final Fantasy feels like the opposite, always evolving and/or changing with each iteration and trying new things with it's gameplay system (some gimmicky, some revolutionary) for better or worse. Of course some of the oldfags would argue it's changed so much so as to resemble it's earlier titles in name only and that that's not a good thing. It's up for debate.

Tales of Phantasia when it first came out with it's Linear Battle System was hugely revolutionary though. Nothing like it had ever been seen before on a console and even the ATB created for FFIV seemed hands off by comparison. Not to mention it also had a full length intro with vocals that required a legendary tricking out of the SNES' SPC sound chip's 64 KB sample limit (which despite that shortcoming I still say was the best pre-redbook audio sound processor of all time with it's awesome reverb effect) . Of course it had the drawback of only being able to control Cless directly, which would would be remedied with later games in the franchise which would ultimately give the player even more control over the battle and participating characters.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 19:00   Link #114
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Let's make it short, when an ordinary people can't tell the differences between 9 games of the franchise, one should have questioned that is the game really original, or just plain generic.
Old 2009-10-17, 14:11   Link #115
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

• Final Fantasy's story almost always involves protecting crystals, along with a crazy but poor story told since FFVII through tons of cut-scenes.
  • The same battle system in the entire series. Sure, there were small improvements, but the base mechanic is the same old turn-based combat.
  • Full of JRPG cliches.
  • Big dungeons that don't make sense, all the time.
Final Fantasy is everything that's wrong with JRPGs today. Dragon Quest is original because of its stories.
  • Dragon Quest IV is divided in chapters that tell each character's story, with their own motivations, battle theme, and sometimes even gameplay. At the end they join. During the game the dungeons make sense. Example: castles aren't the non-sensical mazes. There are guards on every corner, and a treasure room where the loot is.
  • Dragon Quest V starts you as a kid who follows his father. The kid grows up, marries with the woman of your choice, and has children who go on an adventure with their father when they grow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
Let's make it short, when an ordinary people can't tell the differences between 9 games of the franchise, one should have questioned that is the game really original, or just plain generic.
I think it's more likely that they're stupid or forgetful, considering the fact that there are clear differences.
Old 2009-10-17, 15:00   Link #116
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
That's a poor generalization. "Ordinary people" won't be able to tell ANY JRPGs apart, regardless of whether they're FF or DQ or Tales. And any non-FF fan won't be able to tell which FF is which seeing as how they all have the same androgynous characters, or non-Tales fan won't be able to tell the games apart because they are all generic anime cliched stuff.

Fact is, if you're not a fan of a series, they are all going to look the same to you. DQ has its own fair share of innovations over the years, so while its not trying to constantly reinvent itself like FF is, it always features a distinctive style and charm that is unique amongst Japanese pop culture and should certainly not be considered "generic".
Old 2009-10-17, 16:37   Link #117
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

This is FF vs Tales basically is: Men that look like they came from fashion Catalog magazines V.S Anime characters.
Old 2009-10-17, 19:11   Link #118
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
  • Final Fantasy's story almost always involves protecting crystals, along with a crazy but poor story told since FFVII through tons of cut-scenes.
  • The same battle system in the entire series. Sure, there were small improvements, but the base mechanic is the same old turn-based combat.
  • Full of JRPG cliches.
  • Big dungeons that don't make sense, all the time.
Final Fantasy is everything that's wrong with JRPGs today. Dragon Quest is original because of its stories.
  • Dragon Quest IV is divided in chapters that tell each character's story, with their own motivations, battle theme, and sometimes even gameplay. At the end they join. During the game the dungeons make sense. Example: castles aren't the non-sensical mazes. There are guards on every corner, and a treasure room where the loot is.
  • Dragon Quest V starts you as a kid who follows his father. The kid grows up, marries with the woman of your choice, and has children who go on an adventure with their father when they grow up.

I think it's more likely that they're stupid or forgetful, considering the fact that there are clear differences.
Oh my, I take a look to see if there's something new about ToG but instead there's a ranting FF-hater.

- Same battlesystem. Okay, and then what? Should each FF had a completely different system or something? If it works, it's fine.
- Full of JRPG clichés. Sure, because all the other JRPGs DONT have that, of course.
- Originality doesnt immediately make something good. Sure, FF might have mostly been mostly about taking over the world and light/darkness but they made it enjoyable.
- Also, if FF is everything that's wrong with JRPG's, then it's a bit odd how popular it still is today and made it up to part 14. Surely they must be doing SOMETHING right. (:

And that's about it.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:17   Link #119
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
- Also, if FF is everything that's wrong with JRPG's, then it's a bit odd how popular it still is today and made it up to part 14. Surely they must be doing SOMETHING right. (:
To be fair, that probably has a lot to do with the lack of stigma FF has is in Western countries compared to other JRPGs [mostly because it uses CG instead of drawn animation]. Not to belittle its other aspects, of course. I haven't played enough FF games to comment on its story or gameplay, except I couldn't stand FF12's gameplay.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 19:56   Link #120
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I lost my patience for Turn Based RPGs a long time ago. The only TB game I'll play is a turned based strategy rpg.

Adding to the fact that FF games are turned based, I don't like the art, and the stories are mostly like a cheesy sci-fi romance novel.

Tags
game, games, rpg