Old 2008-06-18, 04:14   Link #7581
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
CRAP! I just realized that I never did d/l it *cries*

I was too busy linking to the YT clip on every forum I was on LOL (AND my Blog)

I do need to get it before it gets pulled; I'd die if I missed out on it. Just awesome awesomeness, especially if you've seen both Haibane and KgNE. Best AMV EVAR (Thanks for turning me onto it, btw )
Oh you'll never have to worry about that since I have all of everything I ever put onto YouTube in my computer. It would be stupid if I don't, since that would mean I'd rather have some crappy streamed flash video instead of a good quality avi video.

And yeah, the AMV is great, although instead of especially, you should replace that with "only." Oh what a sad dream you've fallen into this time, dear Rakka.

@Ithekro:

I seriously can't wait for the "good parts" of LS to come because apparently I hated the first four episodes back then. The first two were kinda funny now that I'm re-watching it, but nothing that would make me love it. We'll see how it will make me laugh. What I want to know is, can you guys list the shows that LS references the most? For example, I haven't watched any Gundam series, so I guess I'm at a lost there. You guys probably know that I watched all KyoAni series (including FMP and SHnY), but I can't imagine a parody of Air and/or Kanon. I also only watched like a maximum of 5 series that aired before 1998, so I'm pretty much at a lost if they're doing an entire episode on one series that I don't know about. Remember that HnG episode that happened all inside a game? Yeah I didn't get that at all, since it's apparently a parody of a game I never played. I just hope that LS doesn't pull many of those.
Old 2008-06-18, 04:24   Link #7582
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I forgot that I had joined AMV.org Just got the avi My life is (near) complete

Quote:
What I want to know is, can you guys list the shows that LS references the most?
Can't do 'em all, but there are several Kanon references, one is here:

"Episode 4 also references Kanon, the second time when Konata is late to school, and explains the scene where Yuuichi first meets Ayu. The teacher's next line starts with "Uguu""

That's from the ANN trivia page for L*S, but beware... there are 271 entries and they're out of order, so spoileriific. It is here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...d=7222&page=22
Old 2008-06-18, 04:36   Link #7583
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know all the parodies and references used in Lucky Star. Some are fairly small.

All KyoAni series up to that point are referenced at least once. Air and Kanon included. (technically they reference Clannad as well once...Kagami is "Kyou")

Some classics are referenced, especially during the ending credits for the first 12 episodes.

Keroro Gunso is referenced a lot.

Gundam a few times, but most they even say its Gundam (bleeped, but it is there)

Initial D

Da Capo

Strawberry Panic

Pani Poni Dash (once)

I'd almost swear there was an Azumanga reference in there someplace.

Several others I don't know off hand.

Most are small references and even if you don't know them it won't detract from the scene (or are background references for sharp eyes or ears). It is mostly an extra thing (as second joke for those that might know what it is). The KyoAni ones are the largest because they are the easiest for the company to make (since they own it all already). FMP and Haruhi are very evident (Bonta-kun is popular)

There are also several non-anime references. Some I don't get. (or got latter because I wanted to know, such as the SRW game parody using FMP!, which does exist).

Also:
Anime Tenchou (Meito Anisawa) gets to be a character again. He is voiced by the same actor as FMP's Sagara Sousuke.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-06-18 at 04:51.
Old 2008-06-18, 04:39   Link #7584
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
good quality avi video.
lol.
Quote:
For example, I haven't watched any Gundam series, so I guess I'm at a lost there.
It's probably just as the Wandering Jew said; I remember them saying G***** several times, and expect some Gundam models, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
Ah, it's similar to Hayate in this way, I remember them bleeping out P***mon or Ch*****rd or something and several other things.
Quote:
You guys probably know that I watched all KyoAni series (including FMP and SHnY), but I can't imagine a parody of Air and/or Kanon.
uguu~
Taiyaki.
More that I forget.

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei episode... 10 or 11 had a parody of Air. 'twas the Goal scene.
Quote:
I also only watched like a maximum of 5 series that aired before 1998, so I'm pretty much at a lost if they're doing an entire episode on one series that I don't know about.
They never do an entire episode on anything.
Maybe a full five minutes.
Quote:
Remember that HnG episode that happened all inside a game? Yeah I didn't get that at all, since it's apparently a parody of a game I never played. I just hope that LS doesn't pull many of those.
Was it?

Well, I wasn't in the know.
Quote:
That's from the ANN trivia page for L*S, but beware... there are 271 entries and they're out of order, so spoileriific. It is here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...d=7222&page=22
Yeah, I'd stay away from that for now, you don't want to have the story spoiled for you.

Since I still have it on my copy clipboard thing, I'll paste this for you because I need to copy something else - do with it what you will:

Oh, and you remember the minute long parody of Da Capo I showed you on some other completely unrelated thread, right?
You should watch the OP of the first Da Capo so you can get it. Absolutely nothing happens and it's rather boring, but you can get a feel for the characters and the song.
Epic streaming .avi to .flv quality!
Old 2008-06-18, 04:48   Link #7585
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Oh please, do you know that the best way to export from Adobe Premiere is through an avi container? I exported my Innocence AMV in avi and it was over 6 gigabytes. Don't tell me that's not good quality.

Since I've never heard of Keroro Gunso and never watched Initial D, Da Capo, Stawberry Panic, and Gundam, that's not really a good sign. Well, if you're saying it won't detract from the show but is just a "bonus," then I probably won't mind it. Hinagiku no Gotoku though, was pretty much horrible if you don't get the references, and same with Pani Poni Dash!

Wait, you're saying reading through that will spoil me? I thought LS didn't have a plot? What? Lol.

HOW THE HELL CAN SOMEONE PARODY THE FREAKING GOAL SCENE?

What the fuck.

@Ahasuerus: So yeah, if you want the avi with hard subtitles, tell me so I can upload it.

EDIT: More importantly, why is qtip still awake?
Old 2008-06-18, 04:55   Link #7586
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Quote:
EDIT: More importantly, why is qtip still awake?
Do you really want to know? *Shivers in fear*
Old 2008-06-18, 04:58   Link #7587
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's staff like to mess with people?

The Lucky Star references (pretty much every one you mentioned not seeing) I didn't know either, it didn't matter. Only the Haruhi ones are need to know for the most part.

The Air references in Lucky Star are "tasteful".

Oh there is also one Galaxy Express 999 reference that I got and alot of other people really didn't at first. Very old anime now. It is in the same episode as the Air references. (one is a visual color swap reference that you would only notice if you've seen Air. The other is voice actor work that they pretty much tell you from the start they are doing).

Plot? In Lucky Star? ???
I think the spoiler thing is so you don't get told the jokes early.
Old 2008-06-18, 05:10   Link #7588
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

@Ithecro:
Quote:
Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's staff like to mess with people?
Yes. Yes, they do In fact, I wore my arm out from having to constantly pause SZS so I could read every blackboard grafitti LOL

@KholdStare:
Quote:
Wait, you're saying reading through that will spoil me? I thought LS didn't have a plot? What? Lol.
Well, there are just a couple of surprises that arise later in the series that you won't want spoiled Most of the series do seem to be older ones though. But as Ithecro says, they won't get in the way if you don't get them; it didn't bug me too much. I just moved along, as you don't really get time to wonder about them LOL

Quote:
@Ahasuerus: So yeah, if you want the avi with hard subtitles, tell me so I can upload it.
I haven't watched what I just got yet, but I assumed that the subs came with it? I'll check tomorrow, must collapse now

@qtip:
Quote:
Since I still have it on my copy clipboard thing, I'll paste this for you because I need to copy something else - do with it what you will:
Oh shit. *SAVED* Will try and make wallpapers out of these for damn sure 'Twas from 5cm, right? Beautiful...
Old 2008-06-18, 05:12   Link #7589
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
The Gundam Seed refs are scattered throughout and come fast; usually they've been bleeped/censored, and the subtitles always look like "G*****". Why, I don't know. There were probably five or six, IIRC.
SEED? Far more UC Gundam than SEED references from my memory. Just call it "Gundam" and all is good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Some I don't get. (or got latter because I wanted to know, such as the SRW game parody using FMP!, which does exist).
SRW J, yes.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested to just look at the ASuki threads for individual LS eps. WinD were also doing a good job but never went beyond ep 4. Incidentally, reason why LS gets better after Ep 4? Because of a Director change.

But yeah, LS is a tame Lore Check show. It's perfectly enjoyable without much knowledge, though to me, half the fun was in seeing how much I could recognise (certainly not 100% but a decent fraction). I love PPD much more though, for being 100% Crack and Lore/Notice Check. It felt good to recognise weird old stuff like Mazinger and Zambot 3.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2008-06-18, 05:25   Link #7590
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

@ KholdStare:
Quote:
101 times now LOL

Right, while beautifully HUGE, the .avi doesn't come with subtitles How may I attain the full glorious version with the words? It's funny how obsessive I am about sharing this But Mushi is the only other person I know who's seen both anime, so now I've gotta tell him about it and will point him to where you make it available, if he's still responsive

@Psieye:
Quote:
SEED? Far more UC Gundam than SEED references from my memory. Just call it "Gundam" and all is good though.
Will do. Not having seen any of it I couldn't tell one from the other. A friend was trying to turn me onto it, but rare are the "robot shows" I like and there's SO MUCH GUNDAM LOL
Old 2008-06-18, 05:46   Link #7591
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
A friend was trying to turn me onto it, but rare are the "robot shows" I like and there's SO MUCH GUNDAM LOL
Mmm yeah, it's interesting how the anime industry creates 'genetic offsprings' of popular Archetypes (hello Ayanami Rei and Hoshino Ruri) for everything else, but has no compunction with rehashing the entire series when it comes to certain Real-type Mech shows. Gundam is the best known of course (they realised there's only so much you can do with one universe so they started spawning alternate universes) but Macross is subject to this too.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2008-06-18, 06:22   Link #7592
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I must have missed this, Kiri looks like another person now oO
As for the pictures I believe that Ryou, Rena and Tamao (though I havent really seen Strawberry Panic) need a major boost while some slight quality improvement for Mikuru, Louise, Tsuruya wouldnt hurt either.

That said I got no clue in graphic processes.
Old 2008-06-18, 06:52   Link #7593
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
most of the humour didn't stem from references.
Depends how one defines humour, but yes, there was plenty humour without having to resort to references in PPD. Having said that, few things were more hilarious to me than e.g. PPD 13 where I was clutching my head and mentally screaming "OMFG SUPER-TYPE ZAKU VS MAZINGER BANCHOU HAHAHAHA" which then adds to the 'finishing move' Becky pulled off. You don't need to have watched stuff to get references though - simply being aware of them (through pictures and/or reading) is enough. Indeed, VA Mojo references are much more about being aware of them than having watched all their shows.

Hmm, a Lore Check show is interesting. Some say stuffing references/memes all over your work is degrading it since people will be reacting to other people's works not yours. If carelessly used I'd say that's true, but there seems to be some peculiar methods where I am crediting the show itself for pulling off references in particular ways instead of crediting what they are referencing.

Old 2008-06-18, 08:30   Link #7594
chaosprophet

My votes:
Spoiler for Sapphire 8:

Now quoting ISML fornt page:

Quote:
Evangeline is ranked in the top 16 now, but this may be the last time. She is the only contestant in the top 16 whose vote differential hasn't reached 1000 and whose total votes haven't reached 7000, and her numbers are in a very bad slump. And worst of all, she has yet to meet Kyou, Nanoha, Rika and Shana on the battlfield, not to mention probably the toughest Diamond schedule as of this year. Not exactly a good time to see Nagisa, who is looking to bounce back after her loss to Yuki and is looking to stay in the top 16. Will Evangeline see defeat here or will the sun give a vampire an actual miracle?
A vampire only hope is the sun... she's doomed.
Old 2008-06-18, 11:29   Link #7595
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Good god, you people will discuss anything here.

Anything happened last week? My computer is pretty much dead now, so bye bye leisurely surfing the internet.
Old 2008-06-18, 12:52   Link #7596
FiREwing

Yah I didn't even read it all because it felt all like lucky star talking and something about quality.

I'll probably never finish Lucky Star where as I might finish Haruhi. Just because I rather talk about something random than watch people talk about something random.
Old 2008-06-18, 13:58   Link #7597
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well considering that one of the points of Saimoe is to get people to watch anime they've not watched (and Kholdstare did ask), the conversation is at least semi-on topic.

As for random or referential comedy, I tend to like those as I grew up with a lot of Mel Brooks films, Monty Python, and Gallagher, as my humor development sets.
Old 2008-06-18, 14:24   Link #7598
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Votes:

Spoiler for Sapphire 8 votes::
Old 2008-06-18, 16:09   Link #7599
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Awesome news: I finally located a Japanese Translator.
Old 2008-06-18, 16:09   Link #7600
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
Depends how one defines humour, but yes, there was plenty humour without having to resort to references in PPD. Having said that, few things were more hilarious to me than e.g. PPD 13 where I was clutching my head and mentally screaming "OMFG SUPER-TYPE ZAKU VS MAZINGER BANCHOU HAHAHAHA" which then adds to the 'finishing move' Becky pulled off. You don't need to have watched stuff to get references though - simply being aware of them (through pictures and/or reading) is enough. Indeed, VA Mojo references are much more about being aware of them than having watched all their shows.
Yeah, Pani Poni was one of the first comedy anime series I watched, and I got very, very few of the references, but it was still epic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Good god, you people will discuss anything here.
I thought you'd been around long enough to know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
Anything happened last week? My computer is pretty much dead now, so bye bye leisurely surfing the internet.
Uh, Fate beat Tomoyo, and I came very largely but got a warning because it was a ~4MB gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiREwing View Post
Yah I didn't even read it all because it felt all like lucky star talking and something about quality.

I'll probably never finish Lucky Star where as I might finish Haruhi. Just because I rather talk about something random than watch people talk about something random.
You don't really need to read our stuff anymore. Minhtam learned about 5000 posts ago to ignore our off-topic posts.
Quote:
Well considering that one of the points of Saimoe is to get people to watch anime they've not watched (and Kholdstare did ask), the conversation is at least semi-on topic.
Yeah, while KholdSecks has watched three or four anime series for Saimoe, I have two episodes of one under my belt.
Quote:
As for random or referential comedy, I tend to like those as I grew up with a lot of Mel Brooks films, Monty Python, and Gallagher, as my humor development sets.
You know, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" was the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place.

And as I submit my votes (hopefully for the first time), I just want to randomly say that I was never really a big fan of Kotoko.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Awesome news: I finally located a Japanese Translator.
I LOVE YOUU.

EDIT: New Yurie thing does not work. Avatar can't be profile picture.

We're still looking for Chikaru and Suiseiseki submissions, so if you're interested, you can also do Yurie.

And Minhtam, expect a relatively large batch sometime later today.
Closed Thread

Tags
i-moe, i-saimoe, isml, saimoe