Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-04, 13:14   Link #1
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Unexpected moments of epicness in anime (suggestions)

So, I was watching the last episode of Tokimei Memorial - Only Love, the usual ending with the guy chasing the girl. But, it was during the chase sequence that I was in awe of a little yellow chick, kicking ass and being all 'epic' like (or he was during so the whole series). Really unexpected at how an animal mascot could be that....awesome.

I'm looking for epicness in anime whch you don't see often. Enough said!
Old 2010-01-04, 13:30   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

One word: Higepiyo.

All bow to the samurai chick - voiced by Paku Romi no less...
Old 2010-01-04, 13:47   Link #3
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The first thought is Code Geass. I define that series as epic.

My second thought is Claymore.
Old 2010-01-04, 17:15   Link #4
Boduar

If your going with gar then Gurren Lagann wins hands down. If your epicness is romance-only or something else like that then this might not be a good fit. But yeah Gurren Lagann wins at tragedy and action moments of OMFG WTF.
Old 2010-01-04, 17:20   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The first thought is Code Geass. I define that series as epic.
Second that it was epic.
MAL
Old 2010-01-04, 17:29   Link #6
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The point is that it has to be unexpected. Code Geass was made by Sunrise and by a very particular director (from Infinite Ryvius fame), while Gurren Lagan was made by Gainax. No amount of so-called epicness would be enough to surprise with those credentials.
Old 2010-01-04, 17:37   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't know if I'd call Nyanko-sensei in Natsume Yuujinchou "epic," but he's probably my favorite animal familiar in an anime.

Another vote for Higepiyo as well.
Old 2010-01-04, 19:57   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The point is that it has to be unexpected. Code Geass was made by Sunrise and by a very particular director (from Infinite Ryvius fame), while Gurren Lagan was made by Gainax. No amount of so-called epicness would be enough to surprise with those credentials.
Exactly - if straight-up GAR was all you wanted, TTGL would be a no-brainer. I assume the OP wants the surprise element.
Old 2010-01-04, 21:46   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
First time I saw The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya the epic nature of a few episodes took me by surprise.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-01-05, 00:07   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For a more on-topic reply, the opening sequence of Seirei no Moribito was unexpectedly "epic" for me. It wasn't just the visuals, but the richness of Andou Mabuki's voice, the children singing the Nahji song, and many other devices that located you the Moribito world and connected you immediately to Balsa. When Andou speaks the line about Balsa being almost thirty, you hear her (deserved) world-weariness tinted with a touch of self-deprecating humor, as she knows thirty is both "old" and yet still young.

I approached the show with some expectations, but that whole first episode soared far above them.
Old 2010-01-05, 01:10   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not to mention, there really isn't anything to prepare you for the epic fight scene in 03. I've seen more than one reviewer call it the greatest combat scene in anime.
Old 2010-01-05, 08:14   Link #12
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
For a more on-topic reply, the opening sequence of Seirei no Moribito was unexpectedly "epic" for me. It wasn't just the visuals, but the richness of Andou Mabuki's voice, the children singing the Nahji song, and many other devices that located you the Moribito world and connected you immediately to Balsa. When Andou speaks the line about Balsa being almost thirty, you hear her (deserved) world-weariness tinted with a touch of self-deprecating humor, as she knows thirty is both "old" and yet still young.

I approached the show with some expectations, but that whole first episode soared far above them.
Yeah, definitely have to add that to list. It was a great series to look at and had a great story and cast of characters.
Old 2010-01-05, 08:21   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well if Moribito is recommended then i would have to recommend Sword of the Stranger. The story isn't as good the the action is better (well it is a film).
Old 2010-01-05, 08:22   Link #14
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well if Moribito is recommended then i would have to recommend Sword of the Stranger. The story isn't as good the the action is better (well it is a film).
I thought the story was great. It couldn't be as complex because it was a movie and had limited time. But all in all it is a great movie.
Old 2010-01-05, 09:27   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Unexpected moments of epicness. You're talking about Shin Mazinger Z.

No one expected it to be even more epic than Gurren Lagann, especially with a very puzzling 1st episode. By the end of the series, the word 'epic' is already inadequate, because 'epic' is not enough to describe it, especially when we're using the term to describe every single episode.

Every character in the show is badass, down to the nameless extras. And they're not doing it the ridiculous way.

And when you're thinking its going to be epic as in explosions, no. Its epic because the scientists are playing mind games with each other risking life and death of everyone.

The most badass character in the show? Kouji, the main character was badass, but his mother and his rival , a monster that couldn't even be classified as a hermaphrodite, were even more badass than him.

'Epic', 'badass', these words are used so much, they lose meaning and don't even seem to be able to properly describe the show. Yes, it was so unexpectedly epic.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2010-01-06, 17:41   Link #16
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i second Seirei no Moribito and add Berserk.
Also Hajime no ippo:new challenger (Takamura vs Hawk if that isnt epic i dont know what is)
Closed Thread