AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Old 2014-11-11, 18:13   Link #81
Darthtabby

Funimation bought the rights to Mai-HiME? Maybe I should have waited until they started streaming the show before trying to do an event like this.

The possibility of a third season is interesting, but do you think you could move that discussion to the General Discussion Thread or maybe the What would you want in the third Mai series? thread? I know this thread isn't very active but I would like to try to keep it on topic. Thanks.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-11, 20:57   Link #82
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Well DT we have a little problem,the thread is closed due a long time ago. So yeah,you may have to ask the mods that we could a new thread going for 3rd Mai-series once again.
Old 2014-11-12, 13:58   Link #83
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Its not just that thread, its every thread save for three. If you want some life breathed into this one DT, you might want to tolerate some off-topic discussions that will almost inevitably occur.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2014-11-12 at 18:02.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-12, 18:17   Link #84
Darthtabby

I recognize that general discussion on HiME can be helpful so I don't want to discourage it, but I'm also worried that letting things go off topic for very long may drown out on topic conversation. That's why I'd like to move the speculation about a third season to a more appropriate thread.

Since the "What would you like to see in a third season" Thread is closed, maybe the general discussion thread would be our best bet for Season Three speculation?
Old 2014-11-18, 00:00   Link #85
Darthtabby

Episode 8: Precious Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Magazine Interview with Masakazu Ohara
This episode will have a lasting effect on the entire series as the new enemy is revealed. It becomes clear what the real purpose of the HiME’s existence is and through what happens to Mai and Akane, we see the consequences of possessing the HiME power and how it can affect those around them.
This is the series' first big "wham" episode. I don't think its actually correct to say that the real purpose of the HiME's existence is revealed this episode, but what was revealed certainly has pretty serious implications -especially in light of the later reveal about what the purpose of the HiME's existence is.

It's kind of funny how silly and light hearted the beginning of this episode is considering how serious it turns later on. But then that's probably part of the reason what happens later in the episode is so shocking.

One thing I'm not sure I really appreciated about this series the first time I watched it is the misdirection that was carried out over the past few episodes. Viewers are given the impression that Akane is scared of poor socially awkward Miyu because she saw Miyu using HiME powers. But in reality, Akane is scared of Miyu because Miyu saw Akane using her own HiME powers. Granted, Akane was portrayed in a fairly sympathetic light in the past few episodes, but still the show gave the impression people should be sympathizing with Miyu when the one who really deserved that sympathy was Akane.
Old 2014-11-19, 00:38   Link #86
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

This was definitely the 'toe in the water' episode. But it was done so very well.

Akira and Takumi's friendship... :3 "Just let her baby you, you siscon." That was a great line.

The fact that this was so sudden, and that we saw the true price of the HiME in such a way that was even outside the plans of virtually everyone, even that little bastard Nagi... The fact really hit home with his own reactions to Akane's Child disappearing and that he dropped his usual act and pretense to go to her. Sure, he was trying to find out what happened but it was a nice touch that he was oddly respectful of Akane's loss. I should do a more in-depth analysis of him later on but he's quite the character.

As for Miyu, her general deadpanned expressions and obvious lack of life really didn't peg me for being sympathetic for her at all. First with Harry growling like that - anyone who owns a dog knows what that sort of growling means in that situation.

Reito, you sly dog, even Shizuru called you out - wow. Which is why he responded in kind to her, which was great.

And to think, the one who caught Mikoto was Natsuki. "Tell the owner of this animal to put a leash on her or put it in a cage!" Good times, Natsuki-neesan. Good times. You can tell she likes her.
Old 2014-11-19, 19:09   Link #87
Tak

Mai Hime really started to go from good to excellent in the following episode.

Although, guess what? I still think their problems could have been avoided by better communication.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2014-11-20, 00:06   Link #88
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
As for Miyu, her general deadpanned expressions and obvious lack of life really didn't peg me for being sympathetic for her at all. First with Harry growling like that - anyone who owns a dog knows what that sort of growling means in that situation.
I'm not sure I was paying enough attention to be properly misdirected the first time I watched the series. But it still seems to me that the series was trying to lead viewers into thinking that Miyu was some heroic but socially awkward girl whose powers led to her being feared by one of the very people she used those powers to save. (Plus the series gave her a pet the dog moment at the end of the last episode when she was watching Alyssa sing.)

Quote:
And to think, the one who caught Mikoto was Natsuki. "Tell the owner of this animal to put a leash on her or put it in a cage!" Good times, Natsuki-neesan. Good times. You can tell she likes her.
I know Natsuki is rather tsundere (is it okay to use that word in a non romantic sense?), but I wouldn't have thought she'd have much fondness for Mikoto at this point in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I still think their problems could have been avoided by better communication.
In that sense, I think the series is remarkably like real life.
Old 2014-11-20, 00:26   Link #89
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm not sure I was paying enough attention to be properly misdirected the first time I watched the series. But it still seems to me that the series was trying to lead viewers into thinking that Miyu was some heroic but socially awkward girl whose powers led to her being feared by one of the very people she used those powers to save. (Plus the series gave her a pet the dog moment at the end of the last episode when she was watching Alyssa sing.)

I know Natsuki is rather tsundere (is it okay to use that word in a non romantic sense?), but I wouldn't have thought she'd have much fondness for Mikoto at this point in the story.
I was already jaded by other anime to have fallen for that with Miyu. Her tone and her word choice, even courtesy of the subs just seemed 'off' initially. No one is that aloof without some weird reason. Besides, we had another aloof girl in Natsuki prior and the story would be slightly off balance with two stoic and mysterious girls. Although, episode four kinda helped to dispel that 'untouchable' aura that Natsuki had going for her.

As for Natsuki being tsundere in general - yes. As for her liking Mikoto, she tolerates her for Mai's sake. (P.S. I'm an old, diehard MaiNat guy and I know I'm delusional about it )
Old 2014-11-21, 00:59   Link #90
Darthtabby

But you can at least see how I think the series was trying to misdirect people with Miyu, right?

Mai/Natsuki certainly has its appeal, but I've tended to go for more canonical couplings. I do really like the grudging friendship that develops between the two of them though.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2014-11-21 at 01:43.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:27   Link #91
Tak

I am just waiting for Shizuru to finally act. I remember last time that happened, my brain creamed with orgasmic glee.

That being said... Mai/Nat feels extremely weird in a number of ways to me, personally.

- Tak

Old 2014-11-21, 17:36   Link #92
kitten320

Possible season 3? Bring it on! Especially if it is a HiME sequel!

Oh so we got to episode 8? Personally am waiting for episode 16 since that's where real shit goes down

But yeh, episode 8 was definitely an eye opener to what is to come. Had this "oh shit" moment when Nagi revealed meaning behind the deal.
Old 2014-11-25, 00:02   Link #93
Darthtabby

Episode 9: "The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret"

Quote:
The past two episodes were obviously getting serious, so we went with a fan service episode for this one. I didn’t have a favorite character myself, but taking the tastes of the Japanese fans into account, I think Mai’s the most popular. Of course, most of those fans also like it when the girls are embarrassed about wearing certain swimsuits in public.
Bit of an odd quote this week, considering that none of the girls seem the least bit embarrassed about their choice in swimwear.

This is a good example of a beach episode that is more than just a beach episode. It develops character relationships and reveals the motivation of one of the main heroines. It's also very entertaining. One of the things I find most impressive about HiME is how the early episodes are used to lay the groundwork for later events yet are also entertaining in their own right.

Memorable comedic moments in this episode include both scenes of Natsuki getting humiliated. I think part of the reason why Natsuki is the butt of so much of the series humor is because she takes things so seriously and tries so hard to be cool and aloof. It makes her a perfect target.

Also, apparently Aoi is not only a shotacon, but a lolicon as well.

There are a few issues with this episode though. One of the biggest ones is that:
Spoiler:
Old 2014-11-25, 17:30   Link #94
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Possible season 3? Bring it on! Especially if it is a HiME sequel!

Oh so we got to episode 8? Personally am waiting for episode 16 since that's where real shit goes down

But yeh, episode 8 was definitely an eye opener to what is to come. Had this "oh shit" moment when Nagi revealed meaning behind the deal.
If Funi announces HiME/Otome blu-rays then Sunrise may announce new HiME project on that season. Both parties should know this is a smart executive decision at best.
Old 2014-12-02, 00:00   Link #95
Darthtabby

Episode 10: "Cake Wars"

Quote:
We found the time to do another comedy episode, and, well, the fans liked it. The scene where we used “Ninja Gama” is a parody of a classic traditional movie but no one noticed that it was a parody.
I've generally regarded this as the fluffiest episode of Mai-HiME, but there are actually a few significant developments. Akira is revealed to be a HiME, and we find out that Alyssa and Father Greer are in league with Miyu -who now knows that Mai, Natsuki, and Mikoto are HiME. Perhaps this episode is a little more intriguing for first time viewers? (I may have mentioned this before but I really don't remember the first time I watched the series all that well.)

Some fans figured out that Akira was a girl prior to this episode, but apparently whoever did the casting for the German dub of the series wasn't one of them since they cast a really manly sounding guy in the role.

I like watching Natsuki and Nao go at each other. Supposedly their voice actresses are friends in real life -either that or people are reading too much into the two of them having formed a singing duo for a while.
Old 2014-12-04, 19:14   Link #96
kitten320

Ah, episode 10... even though it is pretty silly, it still cracks me up. One of fave parts is Shizuru just casually sipping tea and "If you pick it in 5 seconds we can still it" she didn't even try to save the cake
Old 2014-12-09, 00:03   Link #97
Darthtabby

Episode 11: "Dance of Light and Darkness"

Quote:
In this episode and the next, we wanted to show the connection between Alyssa and Miyu. They have this beautiful relationship but in the middle of this Orphan incident, we reveal they also have some sinister plans for the HiME.
Apparently the idea of a robot with a soul is relatively easy for Japanese people to accept because Shintoism and Buddhism teach that the soul is everywhere. I also seem to remember that there's a Japanese superstition that if you own something for long enough it will take on a life of its own.

It's interesting to note how timid Alyssa is around strangers
Spoiler:

In addition to the Alyssa/Miyu stuff we also had some focus on Sister Yukariko. Her storyline is pretty important but I can't say it's one of my favorites.

Mikoto was a real brat this episode, what with her acting all jealous of the attention Mai was giving Alyssa. Mai spoils her too much. The scene with her catching the frisbee in her mouth was pretty funny though. Mikoto is often seen as cat-like, but in some ways I think she's a bit more like a dog than a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagi
"But to think they'd go with vampires of all things. Makes you question their tastes."
Yeah, really. I get the logic to Greer's method of searching for HiME, but it's kind of creepy. This episode made me feel a bit uncomfortable at times.

Speaking of tastes, what on earth was Mai wearing during her little expedition with Mikoto? It's nice when anime acknowledges that the characters have more than one outfit but Mai's taste here is certainly a bit questionable.
Old 2014-12-16, 00:00   Link #98
Darthtabby

*Note*: Due to low activity I am strongly considering ending this after it reaches the halfway point next week.

Episode 12: "The Smile of an Angel"

This episode and the previous one seem to share a quote in the Wizard Magazine interview. Personally, I think the director could have commented on Yukino and her devotion to Haruka here since this is the first episode where that really comes to the fore.

It seems strange that Mai didn't get in trouble for being out after the curfew when she showed up at the scene where Aoi was attacked. Also she didn't seem to make any attempt to help defend Yukariko against the accusations against her.

Speaking of Yukariko I really wonder what Shizuru said/did when she had a word alone with her.

Spoiler:

A notable development this episode is Yukariko's faith (understandably) beginning to waver and Ishigami stepping in.

Also, I believe this is the first episode to feature Natsuki bondage.
Old 2014-12-19, 00:12   Link #99
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Miyu. Three words: Creepy F'n Child. I think for me, she was the first one that really creeped me out back in the day. I hate kids like that.

As for Shizuru talking with Yukariko...I'm inclined to agree with you. I had researched it years ago and I was positive that she did reveal her status to Yukariko but all the sites and info that I had before are gone and/or buried.
Old 2014-12-20, 15:41   Link #100
Darthtabby

But she's so adorable! (BTW, I think you mean Alyssa, not Miyu.)

As a side note regarding Shizuru:

Spoiler: