AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-23, 22:52   Link #61
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I like girls who wear skirts because it is cute and not as slutty as they wear those tight pants, minishorts and trousers.

Of course, I wouldn't mind being Dammit (Vexx's cat) when it comes to girls wearing skirts......absolution of all blames. *runs*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-23, 22:59   Link #62
amasposu

I know what you mean. It can be frustrating to shop for clothing that fits a certain body frame. I am an Asian male and I wear the size small. But the American size small is sometimes bigger than I would like. Once in a while, I resort to buying clothes from YesStyle; their clothes are ridiculously expensive. T_T
Old 2012-04-23, 23:16   Link #63
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Go inland about 10 miles and it will be over 80 more often. The valley is like that. (just over the Coastal Range inland, like say Walnut Creek or even Orinda for that matter.)

Those on the Bay itself get colder, to the point were the idea that it is colder in Summer in San Francisco than it is in Winter is not all that far from the truth.
Old 2012-04-24, 00:47   Link #64
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
I know what you mean. It can be frustrating to shop for clothing that fits a certain body frame. I am an Asian male and I wear the size small. But the American size small is sometimes bigger than I would like.
My god I have this problem a lot too. I'm tall and rather skinny, so I tried out the small size jeans to find that they were too short and too tight in the crotch (), so I have to settle for a larger size that hardly fits my belt and without the belt would sag ridiculously.
Old 2012-04-24, 00:58   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The American clothing industry sizing is lying to their customers and inflating clothing sizes -- even the inch measurement clothing is lying more often.

My wife was a "size 4" dress and wore "size 6" shoes when we started dating in the 70s... she's now a "size 0-" dress and "size 4" shoe. She weighs about 5 more pounds than she did then. Functionally, she can no longer shop in the women's departments (even the misleading "Petites" section)... lately, even the Teen section is getting tough to find things in.

Myself, I've started noticing that men's clothing are "inflating" as well... and as LeoXiao points out if you're slim and tall - it can be difficult.

I'm not sure which annoys me more - my fellow "ever-expanding" customers or the failure of the clothing industry to give a fuck about anyone outside a narrow size range.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:15   Link #66
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Sizes I usually don't have issue with. It's cuts and styles that I have issues with. Everything fitted tends to be skin-tight all around and my boobs disappear in non-fitted tees. The kind of top I look best in is fitted around the bust and empire-waisted, then loose and flowy beyond the tops of my jeans. These kind of tops break up the outline and create the illusion of curvature where none exists and just plain look better.

Unfortunately now everything is either loose everywhere (which doesn't look flattering on anything but the skinniest of girls) or tight everywhere (which, again, doesn't look flattering on me). I should be thankful that everything is actually long enough to not show bare midriff all the time... which just doesn't work when you're two years away from thirty. The eighteen year olds always win that battle.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:30   Link #67
HasuMasu
*Artist

This country is warm as hell, but you still don't see any skirts around.

I must educate my fellow countrymen on the glory of skirts.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:33   Link #68
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Walk around a Philippine university and you'll see enough to last you a year.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:35   Link #69
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Walk around SM you will see absolutely none...except maybe one or two lolas in a duster.

Really, it's beyond me why they'd wear jeans over skirts in our...climate.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:40   Link #70
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The American clothing industry sizing is lying to their customers and inflating clothing sizes -- even the inch measurement clothing is lying more often.

My wife was a "size 4" dress and wore "size 6" shoes when we started dating in the 70s... she's now a "size 0-" dress and "size 4" shoe. She weighs about 5 more pounds than she did then. Functionally, she can no longer shop in the women's departments (even the misleading "Petites" section)... lately, even the Teen section is getting tough to find things in.

Myself, I've started noticing that men's clothing are "inflating" as well... and as LeoXiao points out if you're slim and tall - it can be difficult.

I'm not sure which annoys me more - my fellow "ever-expanding" customers or the failure of the clothing industry to give a fuck about anyone outside a narrow size range.
It is called Vanity Sizing. A size 12 in 1950 is now a size 6. It is a marketing scheme designed to make women feel better about themselves and gives the illusion that they are thinner than they really are. Of course, this becomes problematic for women who don't gain weight, like in your wife's case. In a sense, the system rewards women who gain weight, or penalizes women who maintain their weight, again, like in your wife's case. The whole thing makes no sense.
Old 2012-04-24, 01:55   Link #71
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I find it amusing that I have to shop in the plus size section of the Asian fashion site you linked in order to find something that'll fit or isn't one size only. Plus size in America would be like wearing a tent.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:07   Link #72
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

More like a parachute. I remember when the joke about "old lady panties" being so huge was common. People don't laugh about it much anymore.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:17   Link #73
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Really, it's beyond me why they'd wear jeans over skirts in our...climate.
Japan is cold as heck but they still favour short skirts.....

I'll never understand girls.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:21   Link #74
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

I have winter tights and wool OTKs. They're very warm. Plus your legs don't really need to be that warm. As long as your core is kept warm, your extremities can withstand more cold.

There are plenty of guys out here in the Bay Area wearing t-shirts and shorts during the winter--granted it doesn't get really cold here.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:26   Link #75
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was wearing shorts today. Our heater kicked on around noon.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:45   Link #76
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

What do you think leg warmers are for?

:3
Old 2012-04-24, 02:46   Link #77
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
What do you think leg warmers are for?

:3
Too 80s. That decade is best forgotten forever.
Old 2012-04-24, 02:55   Link #78
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This has officially become the most active thread today.

Sticky?
Old 2012-04-24, 03:00   Link #79
sa547
*Author

The first thing came to my mind when first checking out this thread...

Pants are good for women when in need of flexibility and comfort in rough places.

Skirts, however, makes women a lot more special in that they have an endless lot of possibilities for anything to go with a skirt -- socks, stockings, garters, high-heels, loafers, loose socks, and anklets.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-04-24 at 10:53.
Old 2012-04-24, 03:25   Link #80
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This has officially become the most active thread today.

Sticky?
I honestly figured it'd probably die out and fade into obscurity until the ladies of animesuki started sounding off on the subject of skirts. So I added my two cents.

Edit: I do wear pants more often than I wear skirts recently but this is largely because I'm lazy and I don't see a reason to wear anything that fancy/involved if I'm at home or in class all day. I usually do wear skirts/dresses/etc when I go out, and occasionally my lolita... which are all dresses, though.

When it gets warmer I'll probably go barefoot/bare-legged and wear short skirts and tee shirts when at home to beat the heat. Even if the Bay Area doesn't get hot, my bedroom is like a greenhouse during the day...