AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-07, 02:33   Link #761
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Actually GPS satellites are in medium orbit, not geostationary. The system works by using the speed of light to calculate the distance to the satellites rather than relying on fixed points.
Oh damn, why did I have this in my head? I blame it on my geography high school professor. :P I even went ahead and calculated the lunastationary orbit (which is at ~ 86,719.6 km). Hm, gotta do more research. Japanese put KAGUYA into the Moon's low orbit. I wonder how high you can actually put satellites around the Moon.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 02:40   Link #762
Gooral
Banned

@NaweG
You are wrong. Horizontal motion and free fall have a lot in common actually. The time of the fall is the same and you can calculate it using the h=a*t*t/2 equation. What would change would be the horizontal distance they would travel (in free fall it's 0, in horizontal motion it's the initial speed times the time it took to fall which you can determine from the equation above) but that didn't interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
(...) they should have kept arcing up for a while before starting down
How did you figure that? If the ridge was levelled (and from what I see it was) he would certainly not go up.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 19:58   Link #763
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay that OP was nothing less than pure bizarre yet creative brilliance from one of the books that helped inspire manned spaceflight.

Nasuda and Murasaki may be out of their minds sometimes, but their intro speeches were slightly bitter yet completely realistic: the astronauts are really a privileged bunch that, for the most part, they have an extensive support crew that works to get them there and back again safe and sound while they themselves get all the fame and glory. It does indeed make you all the more appreciative of the efforts the people in the background do for you.

And... that damn cliffhanger. Shit just hit the fan...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 20:02   Link #764
kitten320

That was a surprising ending of the series, I actually like it. Good to see that not everything is that smooth.

Wonder how they'll get out.
Old 2013-01-08, 10:50   Link #765
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Wonder how they'll get out.
I'm looking for a rescue by aliens, myself.

Their inability to navigate bothered me as well. I just can't see NASA sending them off to some vaguely defined location without a clear route to get there.

I thought the Director carried off his speech with aplomb. He's always portrayed as a fundamentally silly character, so it was nice to see him act as the director for once.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 15:08   Link #766
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Great cliffhangar. Still really enjoying this series. For all the series that get a tiny little smattering of episodes I'm totally spoiled by this massive outpouring of content. Bravo!
Old 2013-01-08, 18:20   Link #767
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Japanese put KAGUYA into the Moon's low orbit. I wonder how high you can actually put satellites around the Moon.
NASA's twin GRAIL satellites, "Ebb" and "Flow," orbited the Moon at an altitude of 34 miles during their primary mission, and then were lowered to only 14 miles during their extended mission.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 19:52   Link #768
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
@NaweG
You are wrong. Horizontal motion and free fall have a lot in common actually. The time of the fall is the same and you can calculate it using the h=a*t*t/2 equation. What would change would be the horizontal distance they would travel (in free fall it's 0, in horizontal motion it's the initial speed times the time it took to fall which you can determine from the equation above) but that didn't interest me.

How did you figure that? If the ridge was levelled (and from what I see it was) he would certainly not go up.
Again, this is the moon, not earth. 1/6th gravity on a surface that is much smaller - which is what led to the problem gauging distances in the first place. On the moon going "straight" at that velocity is almost like taking off. Not escape velocity taking off of course, but with the surface being a little less than 1/4 the diameter...

Put another way, let's scale to the earth. Lunar Rover was probably doing 20 miles per hour (or so). Given the shorter surface (which means it curves away from you more quickly), and the lower gravitational pull, it would be like crossing your average river basin at closer to 100 mph. In that case, odds are you are not going to fall in (unless we're talking the Mississippi or such).

They would have cleared the rille in real life, or worst case impacted the other side. Falling conveniently in is only possible if you think that you are following earth rules. Of course then we suspend them because otherwise they would have crashed hard enough to be severely injured.

I understand the author wanted a realistic situation where he could have his character on the moon, out of radio contact, and with a certain amount of danger thrown in. It just seems a bit lazy to do it this way.
Old 2013-01-09, 00:52   Link #769
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It certainly wasn't a surprise when they went over. You'd think after that close call both of them would be more cautious. How many accidents are caused on Earth by people picking up something they dropped in the car, or looking down to change the radio, etc? Maybe if they didn't have the close call it'd be a bit better. But I figured they'd have their eyes peeled after nearly dying.

Talk about a terrible lecture though. Think that guy is bound to get canned. I mean sure has to be boring material to read, but mumbling the entire thing just makes it even more pointless.
Old 2013-01-09, 03:25   Link #770
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Put another way, let's scale to the earth. Lunar Rover was probably doing 20 miles per hour (or so). Given the shorter surface (which means it curves away from you more quickly), and the lower gravitational pull, it would be like crossing your average river basin at closer to 100 mph. In that case, odds are you are not going to fall in (unless we're talking the Mississippi or such).
Sorry, but that's a bit silly. This isn't the planet from The Little Prince. Integrating spherically will still produce a ratio of incline that's negligable when calculating horizontal throw. Given your estimations (20 mph), the vehicle would still fall quite rapidly. If we go by Apollo 17's Lunar Roving Vehicle's specs and take that the vehicle was about 3 meters long and estimate from that that it traveled 20 to 30 meters horizontally by the end of the scene, we'd get the following results:

20 meters => 4.05815 meter drop
25 meters => 6.34086 meter drop
30 meters => 9.13084 meter drop

This was done using the calculation for horizontal throw at zero degrees. The animators did a surprisingly accurate job, if we take into account these calculations are based on subjective assessments. Here's a graph for comparison with Earth (taken that it has no atmosphere) I calculated in Wolfram Mathematica (if anyone wants the .nb, send a PM):

Last edited by cyth; 2013-01-09 at 03:36.
Old 2013-01-12, 23:34   Link #771
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Two dramatic cliffhangers featuring actual cliffs in a row? Oh my...
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 00:47   Link #772
Utsuro no Hako

So after forty episodes we finally get some serious space adventuring. Also Hiroaki Hirata got a day off.

I expect in the next episode we'll get a flashback to Brian Jay taking Nanba aside and saying something to the effect of, "Real astronauts don't need no stinkin' manual."
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 02:28   Link #773
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep40:
Old 2013-01-13, 05:11   Link #774
cyth
Banned

Damn, this was excellent. Absolutely no filler, no time wasted on, loved it.
Old 2013-01-13, 09:51   Link #775
ookamigirl

That little fall on the moon was nerve wrecking.
Back story about Hibito was nice to watch though.
Hibito was lucky that he wasn't injured.
He also managed to find Gibson. Hibito got lucky with that one.
Looks like Damian was not as lucky.
Very intense episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 11:22   Link #776
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The voice actor known only as Kenn finally had a chance to show his stuff in this episode. He got the chance to do some dramatic work rather than just the usual happy-go-lucky Hibito of past episodes and pulled it off quite well. I see from his ANN bio that most of his work has been on shows for younger audiences like Pretty Cure and Jewelpet.
Spoiler for future events:
Old 2013-01-13, 11:43   Link #777
Gooral
Banned

Yeah, superb episode, even better than the last one. Space Brothers wins in every category, even thriller one .

BTW, I've found a goof. You can hear Hibito's footsteps (e.g. when he approached Damian) even though on the moon there is a very low pressure (basically a vacuum) so the sound can't propagate. Unless we're hearing it from Hibito's/Damian's perspective and they can somehow pick up the mechanical vibrations but that's very doubtful (footsteps are too soft).
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:01   Link #778
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Terrific episode - I'm really loving the series even as bleak as things seem to be at this point.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:06   Link #779
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One thing I wondered was why Hibito and Damien didn't simply touch their helmets together to converse. I thought that was a common solution to lack of radio contact in situations like this, using the reverberations of one helmet to transmit the sound waves to the other.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:33   Link #780
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One thing I wondered was why Hibito and Damien didn't simply touch their helmets together to converse. I thought that was a common solution to lack of radio contact in situations like this, using the reverberations of one helmet to transmit the sound waves to the other.
I thought of this too, but then they gave us a clever technological solution. Evidently future voice-to-text can recognize commas and capitalization?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen