AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-07, 16:04   Link #101
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I borrowed this manga from one of friends a year or two ago. Yup, it was a good series. I couldn't put it down and even got scolded by a teacher for reading it in class. XD

If there's one thing Tokyopop is good at, it's writing vulgar and hilarious speech. I love when a company shows that they enjoy their work and goes out of their way to make you laugh. Same thing with dubbing companies.

Like with the scorpion scene....(ROFL)

Keitaro squishes a scorpion which makes Naru happy but then he goofs up of course and she sends him flying.
In Tokyopop's version, she screams, " Scorpion, my ass!"
In the original one she screams, "What are you doing!?"

I prefer the latter...^_^
Old 2006-02-09, 17:41   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
I borrowed this manga from one of friends a year or two ago. Yup, it was a good series. I couldn't put it down and even got scolded by a teacher for reading it in class. XD

If there's one thing Tokyopop is good at, it's writing vulgar and hilarious speech. I love when a company shows that they enjoy their work and goes out of their way to make you laugh. Same thing with dubbing companies.

Like with the scorpion scene....(ROFL)

Keitaro squishes a scorpion which makes Naru happy but then he goofs up of course and she sends him flying.
In Tokyopop's version, she screams, " Scorpion, my ass!"
In the original one she screams, "What are you doing!?"

I prefer the latter...^_^
I don't mind more freewheeling translations like that IF the original spirit of the dialog is retained ... that is, no twist to the original intent.
Yeah.. "scorpion, my ass" sounds much more Naru-ish than the boring literal translation.
Old 2006-06-24, 07:34   Link #103
boris no no
I am Russian bearded men

Send a message via MSN to boris no no
Thumbs up Love Hina

So just finished reading the first manga book (after watching the anime first) and I must say I was laughing so much xD Very funny, rude and silly!
Boobs everywhere and misunderstanding from the newly appointed male manager of a all girls dorm...you know whats gonna happen xDDD
Anyone else read the manga? and what do you think of it?
Old 2006-06-24, 10:48   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is one of the "classics" of harem-style comedy - somewhat reminds me of an old Jerry Lewis comedy where he's the male bellhop/houseboy in an all female boarding house. The series is pretty messy, derails into confusion at various points and you'd like to kick some of the characters at times. But it has some memorable sequences and a few characters who are just unforgettable.

Watch Motoko the sword girl... she gets a substantial amount of character development over the series and remains one of my favorite characters of any anime or manga.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-06-26 at 15:43.
Old 2006-06-26, 15:18   Link #105
boris no no
I am Russian bearded men

Send a message via MSN to boris no no
oh whee xD ta for putting my random thread in where it belongs *waves at mods* ^^
Love Hina awesome!
Old 2006-11-04, 21:46   Link #106
deaconfry
haseo the pk

Send a message via MSN to deaconfry
love hina your thoughts about the manga

ive always liked love hina scence the first manga came out it is a realy funny manga to because of naru and kaolla
Old 2006-11-05, 07:53   Link #107
Mitaan

It was my first manga ever =P

At the beggining I hated it because the title... hum... confused me? xD I had a very wrong idea of it because of the title xD

But... I started to read it a boring afternoon and I really loved it!! It's kinda funny and the characters are great ^^
Old 2006-11-05, 08:27   Link #108
Ji Ji

Send a message via MSN to Ji Ji
I was wondering how does the manga compare to the anime. I haven't started reading the manga yet but i have seen the anime. I know that some anim don't completly follow the manga. So how is the anime different from the manga?
Old 2006-11-05, 08:39   Link #109
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji Ji View Post
I was wondering how does the manga compare to the anime. I haven't started reading the manga yet but i have seen the anime. I know that some anim don't completly follow the manga. So how is the anime different from the manga?
Simple. It doesn't follow it 100%.
About 60-70% perhaps. It's rare to find perfectly animated manga with the right plot.

The TV series follows up to...
Spoiler for those who haven't gotten a long way with the manga:
The Winter Wish OVA happens near the end of the TV series while the Spring Break OVA continues where the TV series gets off...
Spoiler for the same reasons in the above spoiler:
Old 2006-11-05, 09:40   Link #110
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji Ji View Post
Well, Love Hina is one of those anime's that kind of deviates a lot from the manga. Although the general plotline is followed, the anime skips a lot of the details and stories from the manga. In general the manga will be a beefed up version of the anime plotlines. Just as an example, the Spring Special in the anime cut out about half of the original plot (in my opinion, the best part). If you liked the anime I reccomend the manga because then you get the complete story. (there was some original stuff in the anime though).

Besides that, the anime cuts out the end. The farthest the anime got to was Love Hina Again (in a butchered and shortened form), which is manga volume 12. However, there are 14 volumes in Love Hina manga, which means two entire chapters were not animated. So that's the ending to Love Hina which wasn't in the anime.

So is it worth it to see the manga? Yes.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-01-30, 03:09   Link #111
MugenIchiban

Does the manga have the Christmas special they had in the anime?
Old 2007-01-30, 09:43   Link #112
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Actually no. That's one of the original pieces for the anime only. It does have Christmas chapters, but none that really describe what happens in the Christmas Special.
Old 2007-01-30, 20:01   Link #113
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Love Hina was one of my first manga's and it is still one of my favorites but I must admit i liked Mutsumi way more than Naru.
Old 2007-01-30, 20:31   Link #114
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Hey! ME TOO!

Usually everyone on this forum prefers Motoko.

Kitsune and Mutsumi for me, much more fun.
Old 2007-01-30, 20:51   Link #115
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Correct order is:
Kanako
Motoko
Shinobu
Haruka
Kaolla
Sara
Kitsune
Mutsumi
Naru

Of course, 'your mileage may vary' and all that.
Old 2007-01-30, 21:02   Link #116
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Uhh, hey, I like Kanako and Haruka too! (accentuate similarities, downplay differences, check!)
Old 2007-01-30, 22:56   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh, for myself it was Motoko, Haruka, Shinobu, Kanako ... period.

Sometimes I'll reread a book or two.... the lame parts get lamer and the better parts get better, ymmv.
Old 2007-01-31, 00:51   Link #118
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Wow, two other people that don't completely loathe Kanako. And I thought I was the only one
I wonder if her low reputation may be due to the 50cc's of total fail they doped her up on for Love Hina Again
Old 2007-01-31, 02:12   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I always figured it was her actions in the manga (I don't even think about the mess the anime made of her).... she was pretty focused and apparently vindicative to characters we'd all grown attached to. I wasn't really fond of her "mask" trick either. But I liked her core personality and goth-edge.

I'm always surprised when *anyone* mentions Haruka in a fave list.... (having seen Nobue in Ichigo Masimaru.... I suspect she grew up to become Haruka ... heh j/k).

(since we have new readers of the manga, I'm trying not to spill spoilage)
Old 2007-01-31, 07:44   Link #120
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I dunno i always liked Haruka as well but I am old enough to think that most of the girls are underage :P as for Kanako I just can't get over the comon theme in Japan of brother/sister love. I have seen it in a few manga sometimes it is cousins but it happens pretty often and you also see it a lot in bishujo games, example Kana little sister. As for the good parts getting better and the bad ones getting worse, i would add that the wierd parts get wierder. As for a second favorite I like Shinobu, that sort of pure character who always admires the hero no matter how retarded he is appeals to me. Probably why I also like Mutsumi.

Tags
comedy, harem