AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-02-13, 20:28   Link #621
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I looked at activity monitor while transcoding. The QT process never used more than 100% of the CPU which means it was only using a single CPU.
Old 2008-02-21, 22:05   Link #622
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

And MPlayer remains the best movie player on Mac... Perian 1.1 can't recognize the sound in one of my MKVs apparently. And it somehow manages far worse H264 performance when using the same codec.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2008-02-26 at 20:11.
Old 2008-02-22, 00:06   Link #623
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
And MPlayer remains the best movie player on Mac... Perian 1.1 can't recognize the sound in one of my MKVs apparently. And it sonehow manages far worse H264 performance when using the same codec.
What's the sound encoded in?
Old 2008-02-22, 02:32   Link #624
Frohike

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for this thread. It saved me so much headache with the overlapping subtitles! VLC was a mess with this, and when the subs did show up, they looked extremely fugly.

This Mplayer build is light years ahead of the crappy Sourceforge version I was using up until now too.
Old 2008-02-23, 00:21   Link #625
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
And MPlayer remains the best movie player on Mac... Perian 1.1 can't recognize the sound in one of my MKVs apparently. And it sonehow manages far worse H264 performance when using the same codec.
Both of these are Apple's bugs. If your file is HE-AAC they'll hopefully both be fixed soon; I'm waiting to see if they fix their dev tools bugs along with the iPhone SDK before making an update. Otherwise get me the file and I'll fix it.
Old 2008-02-23, 04:32   Link #626
sk3

Am i the only one with problems with Mplayer + wireless?

On tiger i could sucessfully view a MKV file via wireless without any problems, lately on Leopard i've noticed that i can't do the same thing again... i don't remember if i could do it with 10.5 but i'm almost sure that 10.5.1 couldn't.

Anyone got the same problem?
Old 2008-02-24, 11:26   Link #627
FTV

What's an rmvb and how does one play it?
Old 2008-02-24, 11:41   Link #628
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

It's Real Media's format. If you have an Intel mac, MPlayer should be able to do it with the aid of a windows DLL. If you've got a PPC Mac, I... am not sure but you might have to download Real's own player (highly evil).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-02-24, 21:50   Link #629
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Realplayer on OS X isn't evil. It just kind of sucks. The beta of 11 isn't horrible.
Old 2008-02-25, 05:23   Link #630
bchan009

Realplayer on Mac is actually really awesome. It's just a player - nothing more, nothing less. Unlike the windows version, which proceeds to tentacle rape your system and lay eggs the minute you install the damn thing.
Old 2008-02-25, 14:53   Link #631
ichobi

Does any body who use 2.1 speakers have problem with video that comes in 6.1 channel?

On my machine (macbook C2D and 2 speakers system), the main sounds (voice) just comes out only on my left speaker (just like center speaker on 5.1 system), and the right speakers will only give background sound which works (like a rear speaker in the 5.1 system.) How can I change this back to normal 2.1 channel? I know one can change this easily in VLC.
Old 2008-02-25, 17:57   Link #632
TheFluff

Try:
Code:
-channels 2
If you really insist on 2.1 you need to use -af channels but that's not for the faint of heart (read the manpage if you want to get your brain tied into a pretzel).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-02-25, 23:13   Link #633
ichobi

Hey thanks, that's a bit better. I have no problem with 5.1 sounds, just 6.1. So I won't use this command that often!
Old 2008-02-26, 06:57   Link #634
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ sk3

What kind of wireless link are we talking about here? 802.11n, I hope? I know that Leopard has had some major issues (read: kernel panics) with sustained high bandwidth wifi transfers, so I wonder if you're running into something nasty in the networking stack. That aside, are you having issues with other data transfers across your network?

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-26, 20:24   Link #635
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
What's the sound encoded in?
Quote:
Both of these are Apple's bugs. If your file is HE-AAC they'll hopefully both be fixed soon; I'm waiting to see if they fix their dev tools bugs along with the iPhone SDK before making an update. Otherwise get me the file and I'll fix it.
H.264 video (avc1) and AAC audio (mp4a). As for sending you the file, the video isn't exactly legal to distribute to others since it's a backup for one of my DVDs. Thanks for the offer, though. If this is on Apple's side, hopefully their next update will fix it.
Old 2008-02-27, 21:31   Link #636
TheFluff

Quote:
the video isn't exactly legal to distribute to others since it's a backup for one of my DVDs.
Does not compute, you're on a forum whose very existence is based on people distributing files to each other in a highly illegal fashion. If you can't be assed to upload it, just say so, it's OK to be lazy.

(by the way I'm quite sure that at least in the US, distributing a backup copy to only one other person is akin to lending them the DVD or something and falls under fair use)

Old 2008-02-27, 22:46   Link #637
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Does not compute, you're on a forum whose very existence is based on people distributing files to each other in a highly illegal fashion. If you can't be assed to upload it, just say so, it's OK to be lazy.

(by the way I'm quite sure that at least in the US, distributing a backup copy to only one other person is akin to lending them the DVD or something and falls under fair use)
This forum's printed rules seem to disagree with your statement. I'd hardly call following those rules being lazy. It's not like getting a Megaupload or something similar takes more than a minute to set up, so I'm not sure where this jumped-to conclusion and this hostility are coming from.
Old 2008-02-28, 10:01   Link #638
TheFluff

Quote:
This forum's printed rules seem to disagree with your statement. I'd hardly call following those rules being lazy. It's not like getting a Megaupload or something similar takes more than a minute to set up, so I'm not sure where this jumped-to conclusion and this hostility are coming from.
The forum rules say "all Messages requesting, providing, or otherwise discussing information about the use of illegally obtained media, or any service that aids in the illegal acquisition of such media, is expressly forbidden" which does not conflict with PM'ing MrVacBob a link to a legal backup copy of a legally obtained DVD. There's also the fact that you're not trying to distribute the file but to get a software bug fixed; I have a hard time seeing why the mods would infract you for that.
Incidentally, citing the rules for this is kind of shaky ground to stand on, because said rules contradict themselves (all fansubs are most definitely illegally obtained and distributing them is most definitely illegal). Contradictions and hypocrisy is the traditional Fansub Way. That's offtopic though.

Old 2008-02-28, 12:31   Link #639
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
The first few MB is enough, anyway.
Plus if you can run mkvinfo, and the codec name is in the list in http://trac.perian.org/changeset/811, I already fixed it!
Old 2008-02-28, 17:20   Link #640
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr VacBob View Post
The first few MB is enough, anyway.
Plus if you can run mkvinfo, and the codec name is in the list in http://trac.perian.org/changeset/811, I already fixed it!
Thanks, the codec is indeed in that list (A_AAC/MPEG2/LC/SBR). You guys are really on top of things!

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate