AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-04-29, 17:40   Link #1
ss_goku4
Perverted Teacher

Send a message via MSN to ss_goku4
Final Fantasy XI Online - Just temporary?

Does anyone else see things in the same way I do. Online games are great and all, but aren't all online games kinda set for only a certain amount of time. It kinda sucks. Say, you love playing Final Fantasy XI and you one day "pass " the game. You most likely would move on to the next game. But years later, you remember what a great game it was, and you want to play it again. Only this time, either no one is on anymore cuz they could care less of the game, or there aren't any servers. That would really suck. I love playing online games, and I know they have a higher replay value than those that are not, but I also think they have a shorter life-span. Nowadays, you can easily go back to the classic systems and play your old games, but online games,such as FFXI, will eventually die over quicker than any other FF. Enjoy it while it lasts.
ss_goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 22:07   Link #2
Soulfang
Inactive Member

As long as people pay the bucks, people will play FFXI. And I don't think they're gonna stop for a long, long time.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 23:52   Link #3
Sh1ka9on

Send a message via MSN to Sh1ka9on
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4
Does anyone else see things in the same way I do. Online games are great and all, but aren't all online games kinda set for only a certain amount of time. It kinda sucks. Say, you love playing Final Fantasy XI and you one day "pass " the game. You most likely would move on to the next game. But years later, you remember what a great game it was, and you want to play it again. Only this time, either no one is on anymore cuz they could care less of the game, or there aren't any servers. That would really suck. I love playing online games, and I know they have a higher replay value than those that are not, but I also think they have a shorter life-span. Nowadays, you can easily go back to the classic systems and play your old games, but online games,such as FFXI, will eventually die over quicker than any other FF. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I pretty much agree, being a player, but i guess that's what makes playing it right now extra special.. , along with the anticipation of the new stuff that Square is gonna add to the game. I guess that's what keeps me going.
Old 2004-04-30, 00:18   Link #4
Griffith

You can't actually pass/complete the game, since FFXI, like other MMORPG's (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) has no ending. It's a persistant world, and things continue to happen and change whether you're logged in or not. The game has been out two years or so in Japan, and it's really successful, so I doubt they will be shutting it down anytime soon.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 02:52   Link #5
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffith
You can't actually pass/complete the game, since FFXI, like other MMORPG's (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) has no ending. It's a persistant world, and things continue to happen and change whether you're logged in or not. The game has been out two years or so in Japan, and it's really successful, so I doubt they will be shutting it down anytime soon.

Look at Everquest, the most popular US MMORPG by far, along with Ultima. EQ has been around for 5 years or so... and within in the next year (predicted) Everquest 2 will comeout. And how will SOE thank all those players who've been playing for the last 5 years, buying the expansions as they come out, buring their hard earned money for their game? Give them shiny new weapons and armor when they keep their EQ account active, while paying awhole another 15-20 bucks for EQ2. Lets not forget those people who have EQ Legends, and the extra dough they're gonna shell out for the new EQ. Way to go SOE at bleeding your customers dry. I don't think EQ2 is even part of their "Ultimate Access" bundle pack either...

So basically within maybe 2-3 years, EQ will probably be the next PSO and get their plug pulled soon. I just hope SquareEnix doesn't pull that on you guys in the next few years.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 05:09   Link #6
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Yup I think it's a temporary game too, but depend on the popularity being temporary could mean spand between 1 to 10 years. But I just cannot imagine anyone can play the same game over and over more than 5 years.

What I'm guessing is if game like FFXI or EQ loosing popularity, they will just reduce the server and merge the players in there. Probably gona keep 1-3 servers, until no more people play at all. There is a reason why they have that montly fee, it's for server maintanance, so as long as there are people playing, they'll keep the server up. And from my experience, no matter how old an MMORPG is, there are stil people playing it, just like in Ragnarok Online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
So basically within maybe 2-3 years, EQ will probably be the next PSO and get their plug pulled soon. I just hope SquareEnix doesn't pull that on you guys in the next few years.
PSO is a bad example btw, because PSO basically more along Diablo, which has a stronger single player feature, even if you don't have internet connection at all, you can stil play the game and enjoy most of it's content. The online feature is entirely optional.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 21:59   Link #7
rEkKaShInObI
LiFe Of ReVeNgE

Send a message via AIM to rEkKaShInObI Send a message via Yahoo to rEkKaShInObI
not so sure what to think, i think the less people play, the prices will go down. SO START QUITTING!
rEkKaShInObI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-04, 18:05   Link #8
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEkKaShInObI
not so sure what to think, i think the less people play, the prices will go down. SO START QUITTING!
I dont agree. Well atleast with big companies like S-E. They would never lower the price. They would just add alot more content to attract new players.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 17:00   Link #9
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
Well i think differently, the larger MMORPGS are definatly living a long long time... a few examples:

Ragnarok Online is probably the most known one , it is 3 years in BETA status now, it hasn't even reached completion and has been around for 3 years ... and it had alpha stages before too so heck ... 3 years, that alot of time...

Fung Wan Online: Has been around for like 2 years now, the chinese beta started earlier, the chinese is 4 years now i think

Anarchy Online: 2-3 Years

PristonTale: ~2 Years

So yeah, they are around pretty long, and i don't see any of them ending anytime soon ...
there are even games not that well known that are around for a long time ... DragonRaja, to name one... so yeah ...

And no, the prices won't go down, they only will make special offers to attrackt new people ...

So yeah, and the bigger things even save the characters... i played Anarchy Online for serveral months like 1 year ago, and they recently send me a mail that i could start again for cheap with my old characters... even if it is advertising, i found it sorta nice that they dont delete the chars right away ... ^^

So i think MMORPG's are worth it ...

But i dislike it if you have to *BUY* it and then pay *MONTHLY*
They should do it like RO - you can download it for free but have to pay monthly ... *sighs* oh well ^^;
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 17:13   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
So yeah, and the bigger things even save the characters... i played Anarchy Online for serveral months like 1 year ago, and they recently send me a mail that i could start again for cheap with my old characters... even if it is advertising, i found it sorta nice that they dont delete the chars right away ... ^^
Hey that hapen to me too, but it was on EQ, I quit like for a year, and then I called them and they actually stil has it saved, and activate it for me. It was exactly as it was left it a year ago.

But I know Diablo erased your characters if you are inactive for a long time.

Maybe that's the different between paid and free MMORPG.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 01:01   Link #11
Ghost_Rider
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4

Yeah your right i have Final Fantasy Online and i play it all the time the price is HUGE! just for that game but its worth it . but i hope people will still play it after a year or so. cause i didn't waste all that money for nothing i want to enjoy that game as long as i can
Ghost_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 01:13   Link #12
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
I'm not going to hate on FFXI (well not a lot)...but they have the stupid setup possible. If you cancel your account, you have 3 months be4 your account gets erased, you can reactivate i that timeframe of course. No big deal there, it's the same as Diablo II except you pay for it. Then to make it even better, after 3 months, you need to buy a new FFXI game all together if you want to play again. Now I can see some reasoning in this, they are cheap and want to get more money out of you...
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 07:55   Link #13
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou
I'm not going to hate on FFXI (well not a lot)...but they have the stupid setup possible. If you cancel your account, you have 3 months be4 your account gets erased, you can reactivate i that timeframe of course. No big deal there, it's the same as Diablo II except you pay for it. Then to make it even better, after 3 months, you need to buy a new FFXI game all together if you want to play again. Now I can see some reasoning in this, they are cheap and want to get more money out of you...
There is a way around that. The POL account by itself is free. Just unsubscribe from all content IDs and you can keep your account forever without having to buy a new copy.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 18:41   Link #14
navi432001
Completely Unproductive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou
ahh after 3 months you have to buy a new game? thanks I'm going to reactivate that thing now
navi432001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 00:39   Link #15
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4 View Post
FFXI has been around since 2002 and seems to be going strong still. As long as they keep releasing expansions, I doubt the game will ever die. Only way I see it dying anytime soon is if Square releases a better MMO. Everyone that I knew that had quit the game ended up playing it again. It''s addictive.

It's hard to pass the game since there's so much to do in MMO's. Its the ultimate time sink that can go on for a very long time.

Speaking from my experience of playing FFXI for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi432001 View Post
ahh after 3 months you have to buy a new game? thanks I'm going to reactivate that thing now
I don't think you have to buy a new game. You just "lose" your character but they always have those come back to Vana diel specials where you get it back no matter how long you've been out of it.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 01:10   Link #16
-Kh-
ポルカ

FFXI lasted nearly 5 years for me, jsut finally managed to quit 2 months ago, so I have to say all that time has been the best time wasted I have ever had.

Now I don't really want to play a MMORPG again, although I'm looking forward to the next SE MMO, but I don't know how I'm going to manage with the time and stuff, it is just not possible anymore, college days are long gone.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 08:33   Link #17
Lesca

I can't see it dying out anytime soon, even most people that quit do end up being pulled back into it, because of friends on there and the game itself. I've heard stories of people who have full merits on every job, best gear you can get, etc and still enjoy playing it.
The RMT will be peeved if it does
Old 2008-11-19, 20:37   Link #18
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

MMOs take a loooooong time to die out.
Proof? Everquest is still around. STILL. STTIIIIILLLLLL.
*cough*

Sorry. But basically if an MMO is popular and it gets updated often enough it'll last for years... Even decades maybe.
Old 2008-11-26, 01:27   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

um... people? Ya'll are responding to a 4 year old thread that a spammer idiot revived from the dead.

The proof of the pudding against the OP's thesis is that all those MMOs mentioned 4 yrs ago are still around.