AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-31, 19:27   Link #201
GDB

Hrmm, they keep calling Heroic Spirits "Legendary Souls". Not sure if that bodes well for the translation or not.

*edit* My order from Gamestop.com just shipped. Used up all my credit, and ended up paying less than $4.00 for it afterward. Which is great, since odds are I won't ever need to buy from Gamestop again, so was glad to use up that credit.

Last edited by GDB; 2011-10-31 at 20:41.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 11:58   Link #202
Twi

I used a bunch of Amazon gift cards I got from Swagbucks and got it cheap. Still waiting for it to be delivered though.
Old 2011-11-01, 14:07   Link #203
Nerroth
NePoi!

My local store here in Canada are still waiting for the game to arrive (hopefully later this week) but they did let me have my copy of the Fate/the Fact booklet.
Old 2011-11-01, 18:37   Link #204
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The question is... should I get the limited edition? Hmm... opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hrmm, they keep calling Heroic Spirits "Legendary Souls". Not sure if that bodes well for the translation or not.
Well, it isn't a wrong translation.. just that someone didn't do any research. I expect every key term to be different since the translator is not familiar with the series.
Old 2011-11-01, 18:48   Link #205
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, it isn't a wrong translation.. just that someone didn't do any research. I expect every key term to be different since the translator is not familiar with the series.
Except they kept touting in interviews that they had a "tenth degree TypeMoon blackbelt" in the office who was consulted, or something along those lines.
Old 2011-11-01, 21:08   Link #206
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Except they kept touting in interviews that they had a "tenth degree TypeMoon blackbelt" in the office who was consulted, or something along those lines.
Really? Man, they should have contracted TakaJun to translate everything Type-Moon, from the anime to this.
Old 2011-11-02, 00:13   Link #207
Nerroth
NePoi!

If you want the limited soundtrack and a few pictures in what amounts to the CD case, the LE isn't a bad option; if not, probably not.

What I would suggest, though, is trying to get a hold of the separate Fate/the Fact booklet; it helps give a little "real-world" context to the "virtual" campaign you play through in the game proper.
Old 2011-11-02, 03:18   Link #208
Twi

Quote:
I bet they'll earn it for real after the complaints they'll get.

@ Nerroth: What is the book of which you speak and where can I retrieve it?
Old 2011-11-02, 16:22   Link #209
GDB

Order arrived already. That was fast. Now I just need a PSP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I bet they'll earn it for real after the complaints they'll get.
Well, it was the #1 PSP pre-order at Gamestop, so there's probably a high chance that they'll try and get the sequel. And as long as they don't fuck up anything too bad, I can get past things like "Legendary Soul" and just pass it off as being the "virtual equivalent" of a Heroic Spirit.

Quote:
@ Nerroth: What is the book of which you speak and where can I retrieve it?
It was the pre-order bonus for ordering online at Gamestop. Not sure how else to get them at the moment.
Old 2011-11-02, 18:18   Link #210
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I just ordered mine from Amazon, the limited edition. I'll get around to playing sometime next year, lol.
Old 2011-11-02, 21:59   Link #211
Qaenyin

Quote:
Nasu prefers Legendary Souls to Heroic Spirits, or so I hear, actually.

It's an accurate translation, regardless. They translate Rin's last name as Tousaka in Extra which, again, is accurate, just different from Mirror Moon's standard.

Just because one translation group likes a particular translation for a term doesn't mean that term is canon. It's not like Mirror Moon is officially endorsed by Type Moon.

I'm admittedly only in the 2nd servant battle so far but at this point I haven't seen any inaccurate phrases, just alternate(and equally accurate both in and out of context) translations.

In fact Legendary Souls is probably more accurate than Heroic Spirits, since many Servants summoned through the Grail Wars have been villains(Bluebeard is a good example, as is both Fate/Zero's Assassin and F/SN's True Assassin).

Also, just because they didn't use MM's translations doesn't mean they aren't aware of them and are not well versed in them. They just as easily could have chosen to translate things differently due to feeling their choice was more accurate, see: Heroic Spirits vs Legendary Souls.
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:12   Link #212
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaenyin View Post
In fact Legendary Souls is probably more accurate than Heroic Spirits, since many Servants summoned through the Grail Wars have been villains(Bluebeard is a good example, as is both Fate/Zero's Assassin and F/SN's True Assassin).
As an offhand note, while "Heroic Spirits" aren't necessarily the best term for Eirei, this line of reasoning is entirely wrong.

Anyway, I'm surprised that the battle system isn't all too bad for a glorified rock paper scissors contest.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 01:30   Link #213
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I just ordered mine from Amazon, the limited edition. I'll get around to playing sometime next year, lol.
Whoops! Didn't see this the first time I scrolled down. Hopefully you'll enjoy the limited edition content. As for me I think I'll choose Caster for my first servant. That smile practically burns itself into my soul~ I hope she calls me "master". Oh... Oh no... HNNNGH.

Also for anyone without a PSP: Wait. Simply because if you wait awhile longer the PS Vita will be made available in the United States. Which would be an investment since you'd avoid buying the soon-to-be obsolete PSP as well as the Vita. Vita can play PSP games similar to how a PS3 can play PS2 games.

Last edited by Stiletto; 2011-11-03 at 01:32. Reason: missed a post.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 04:55   Link #214
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Also for anyone without a PSP: Wait. Simply because if you wait awhile longer the PS Vita will be made available in the United States. Which would be an investment since you'd avoid buying the soon-to-be obsolete PSP as well as the Vita. Vita can play PSP games similar to how a PS3 can play PS2 games.
Vita doesn't play physical copies. Since there are games I plan on importing, which are not available as digital copies (Weiss Schwarz Portable, for instance), the Vita is useless.

Just going to buy one on Black Friday. Probably be <$100 then.
Old 2011-11-03, 15:32   Link #215
Yondaime
4th Hokage 四代目火影

I just saw a tweet by Aksys that they're now selling Fate/EXTRA LE & SE bundled with the Fate/the Fact book in limited quantities on their online store

http://li.brari.us/fatestore

I guess if you didn't have the chance to grab it before, now would be your best chance to get the game and the booklet :3

- Umineko no naku koro ni
Yondaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 16:38   Link #216
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Vita doesn't play physical copies. Since there are games I plan on importing, which are not available as digital copies (Weiss Schwarz Portable, for instance), the Vita is useless.

Just going to buy one on Black Friday. Probably be <$100 then.
Oh-ho. So I see. Thank you. I appreciate that since I thought The vita would remain largely the same. Never quite that easy. Sincerely, thank you.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 20:06   Link #217
Qaenyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
As an offhand note, while "Heroic Spirits" aren't necessarily the best term for Eirei, this line of reasoning is entirely wrong.
Just because Heroic Spirits is closer to a textbook definition of Eirei doesn't mean Legendary Souls isn't at least as accurate(if not moreso) for this specific usage of the term.

Localization has to take some liberties. I've seen more than a couple translations of Eirei. Guardian Spirit for example. But that doesn't mean it conveys the image of exactly what the Servants are manifested from.

Though really I have no idea what definition of Eirei would include Bluebeard. He specifically seems totally uncongruous with the term. At least antiheroes like Extra's Rider and the playable Saber are heroes "from someone's perspective".

Admittedly my grasp of japanese is somewhat lacking but is 英 not just a character for some sense of "greatness"? Legendary is certainly a level of Greatness, as is the status of Hero. Certainly the term "Eirei" has a lot of connotations associated with it(though WW2 saw a lot of changes to the nuances of the term), but those aren't necessarily going to convey to an english audience.
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 20:48   Link #218
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

To be honest, I like "Legendary Spirits" the best. Not every Servant was a hero and soul carries many meanings depending on the context and such. But we are used to Heroic Spirit, so that's what should be used. Like I said, TakaJun should have been contracted to do it all.
Old 2011-11-05, 05:21   Link #219
Bloodseeker

If anyone's looking to buy it and has a memory card with over a gigabyte on it, its available on PSN for $25.

That's apparently a little cheaper than what the hard copies are going for.

And if you're stuck with delivery, its faster, too.

I kinda wish that I had a box to display, though...

I want my first playthrough to be Caster, but I see a fair amount of people bitching about how crippled she is with her low HP and attack, so I dunno. I'm still undecided. (even though I have a file with Seiba selected; it'd only take me like 10 minutes to get back there if I ran through and skipped text)
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 09:08   Link #220
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
If anyone's looking to buy it and has a memory card with over a gigabyte on it, its available on PSN for $25.

That's apparently a little cheaper than what the hard copies are going for.

And if you're stuck with delivery, its faster, too.

I kinda wish that I had a box to display, though...

I want my first playthrough to be Caster, but I see a fair amount of people bitching about how crippled she is with her low HP and attack, so I dunno. I'm still undecided. (even though I have a file with Seiba selected; it'd only take me like 10 minutes to get back there if I ran through and skipped text)
That's because experienced players are needed for her.

Saber = Easy Mode
Archer = Normal Mode
Caster = Hard Mode

Tags
ps vita, psp