AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 20:59   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Man, I felt as if Peter Sellers was going to show up any second.

I was unsure if Okada's style would mesh with this franchise, but so far so good. It was a very stylish, snappy and sexy opener.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 22:06   Link #82
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This seems way more adult then the original one
Old 2012-04-05, 23:43   Link #83
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Never really been a fan of Lupin (yeah, shoot me), but that was pretty interesting. Will give this a shot.
Old 2012-04-06, 00:15   Link #84
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
That's Takeshi Koike for you. I'd almost argue that this would be worth watching just for the visual experience, but then again I'm still pretty concerned about what Mari Okada might do for a story. This is her chance to show me that she's worthy of her recent omni-presence and the praise she gets cause so far she's done very little to impress me with her scripts and ideas.
Well I heard somewhere they planned to make this episodic, so I think bad writing can be less concern if its just episodic anime with usual Lupin feel (crazy adventure, character centric arc, etc).
Old 2012-04-06, 14:56   Link #85
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Yamakan doesn't understand the praise Lupin III is getting,thinks style isn't important to anime.

Quote:
It's futile to expect anything from anime. That goes both for the creators and the viewers.
Well I guess he isn't about to work with Okada again

Anyone know anything about the studio "po10tial" credited with the animation production along with TMS?

Last edited by totoum; 2012-04-06 at 15:09.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 16:54   Link #86
solomon

I'm guessing that Po10tial is a new outfit that's doing a lot of the heavy lifting on the animation and stuff. TMS is probably more of a rights holder/producer type role here.

Yea for our European viewers who may or not have seen Lupin back in the day, this will be something else because Lupin was (at the very beginning) made for adults. However, much like the first Gundam in Japan it was way too ahead of it's time and failed at first but got huge in reruns.

Newer shows generally are more mindful of younger viewers although I would say Lupin is at least 10 and up in his more tame fare.

This is more back to basics dirty sexy type Lupin of the Manga (and most of) the first TV series.

The first series is actually gonna be released in America in the summer. I'm sure if we have any Italian friends here, they wont have trouble finding Lupin media.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 06:37   Link #87
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

That was great. And, man, Miyuki Sawashiro as Mine. I think I'm in love.

Though, I wonder, how this has a shot in hell of doing well in Japan.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 08:30   Link #88
Somnus
Eh?

I've never experienced anything from the Lupin III universe, only read about tidbits here and there. This however, was superb. Everything about the first ep convinced me to follow this from beginning to end.

Also, Fujiko Mine is one hell of a woman. That being said, Lupin III is downright awesome. The guy just takes everything in stride and overcomes it with relative ease. He kind of reminds me of Spike Spiegel (just...more easygoing), though most likely Spike should remind me of Lupin.
Old 2012-04-07, 09:27   Link #89
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Yamakan doesn't understand the praise Lupin III is getting,thinks style isn't important to anime.

Well I guess he isn't about to work with Okada again

Anyone know anything about the studio "po10tial" credited with the animation production along with TMS?
He's got a cheek to talk about anything given Fractale was a load of creeper pretending to be a Ghibli Film.

When I watch anime, I don't expect gynaecology to play any part of it except for maybe a tastefully done bowel cancer plot (which, given the medium is probably not likely any time soon)
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:15   Link #90
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

It's whack, it's gratuitous, it's visual overload.

Yet...those are good things.

Meh, it's hard to deny there's fun to be had here. And Fujiko getting more of the focus is intriguing. Seeing things from her perspective rather than Lupin's does offer something novel. Naruyoshi Kikuchi's jazz is also rather immersive. And Miyuki Sawashiro - one of my fave seiyuus of late - doing Fujiko - power to her. It's a role with a lot of reverence and one that would have a lot of pressure to go with it. She's nailing it thus far. And yes, Fujiko's naked body is quite alluring. Been a fair while since I've seen a genuinely good nude in a series.

If Fujiko is allowed to retain enough class and roam like a free spirit for the greater part, this will be worth it. For now, I'm in. Hopefully things continue to amuse and thrill without needing to rely on anything too outrageous. Okada is always capable of it.

Hopefully it gets some people to check out Lupin titles of years gone by as well. Because those 70s titles - for their time - were quite good. Hearing the 70s series 1 will be available to buy later this year is good news indeed.
Old 2012-04-07, 12:48   Link #91
hikarihikari

oh my lord.... music produce SHINICHIROU WATANABE!
god...
the music sense of 1st ep makes me orgasm!
the art style and animation are superb!
I got this show!
hikarihikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 12:52   Link #92
Shadow5YA

So how much longer until Fujiko develops the springy boxing glove to counter the Lupin dive?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 16:36   Link #93
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

From Anime Boston: Funimation has the streaming rights to the show.
Old 2012-04-07, 17:26   Link #94
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
From Anime Boston: Funimation has the streaming rights to the show.
That probably won't matter to most of us here unless you just want to watch it simulcast. Not to mention Funi's translations and subbing are sub-par. I'd rather have an experienced fansub group than Funi any day.

As for the show I'm very much impressed with it. TBH I was a lil bit skeptical at first. But when I found out Takeshi Koike was the art director it brought my hopes up. And after watching it I was not disappointed. I love the idea that Fujiko is now in the spotlight for this iteration of the series and not merely a supporting character. Not to say Jigen and Goemon weren't great supporting characters themselves. But Fujiko presents a different perspective since she doesn't tag along Lupin most of the time. I'm very looking forward to the next episodes.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2012-04-07 at 17:38.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 11:30   Link #95
sa547
*Author

This is how old-school rocks the house. First episode and... a perfect blend of past and present techniques, plus very good writing.

And found myself laughing at the end. Favorited.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:26   Link #96
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'm wondering,has Wuthering Heights been mentioned in the franchise before?
There's two references to it here.
One is the opening monologue that goes "It's a sensual life of nothing but stealing,like heathcliff in Wuthering Heights"

There's also the title of the OP song "New Wuthering Heights".

Is this just a reference for fun or should we expect some plot similarity because according to wiki here's the plot of that novel:

Quote:
The narrative centres on the all-encompassing, passionate, but ultimately doomed love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and the people around them.
Sounds way to darn tragic for a Fujico/Lupin premise.
Still the reference has me intrigued.
Old 2012-04-08, 23:51   Link #97
Sol Falling

The opening monologue is the OP. It's a single reference.

It probably won't have anything to do with the plot. I happened to have read Wuthering Heights some time ago, and the reason the love between Catherine and Heathcliff was "doomed" was because Catherine was the daughter of a high society family whereas Heathcliff was an abandoned orphan who Catherine's father took in out of kindness (the father later having died). Heathcliff in the novel was described as a "wild child" who, having lost the protective influence of Catherine's father, is generally perceived as a dangerous, interloping element in the family who threatens to tear down the established order/structure of their status and high society.

In the context of being a description of Fujiko, you can probably interpret "New Wuthering Heights" as drawing a parallel between Fujiko and her love for stealing with Catherine's (destructive?) attraction to Heathcliff. I think drawing a parallel between Catherine/Heathcliff and Fujiko/Lupin themselves would probably be extremely inaccurate.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-04-09 at 04:59.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 02:58   Link #98
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Yamakan is a moron. This was incredible. I liked Fractale but it was a deeply flawed work, and it wasn't just the poorly paced plot. The series had no soul.

This on the other hand oozes style, sexuality, and fun. The animation is colorful, clean, nicely updated retro and smooth. The music....omg that jazz. I haven't heard jazz this good in anime in a long time. Not to mention the other tracks that felt lifted right from the 60's without feeling cheesy or outdated. The writing is top notch, with no problems in pacing, dialog, character development, or contrived plot developments. The characters ooze the same style and swagger as the rest of the elements and are a pleasure to watch in action.

Fanservice? No. This isn't fanservice. This is art. This is a celebration of the female form, with all of the nuances and worship of its sexuality.

I'm gushing...but this was just awesome.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:36   Link #99
sa547
*Author

Quote:
The heck he is, Uwe Boll? Yamakan's a joke because of Fractale, then he tries to troll. Man, he should improve himself first before trying to hit on legendary works.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:50   Link #100
duckroll
綺羅星★!

We have information about the upcoming episodes thanks to this month's anime magazines. The guy taking photos of his mag didn't seem to care about this show, so I only have the info for ep2-4 and ep6 for now.

Spoiler:

Last edited by duckroll; 2012-04-09 at 10:01.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote