AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-05-20, 19:18   Link #11281
kazzuya

Rudy should really have a very mixed feelings about this wedding. After all just imagine yourself as an elementary student and you have a teacher you admire and respect and then after along time he will tell you that he is marrying your younger sister.
kazzuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 04:17   Link #11282
ththth13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTurtleOm View Post
Now that the translations have reached the end:

Mushoku Tensei sounds like a crappy series from its synopsis, and any descriptions I could possibly give of it. Even if I described the ending, it sounds like a pretty shitty ending. (MC dies of old age, encounters main antagonist in the afterlife, is told that the antagonist will go after his family and friends now that MC is dead.) Despite that, I think it's actually the best Japanese web/light novel series that I've read, and even with all the loose ends, the ending was immensely satisfying, which seems to be a trouble area for most series regardless of origin or media.

It's to the degree where I wonder if I'm somehow deluding myself into thinking the series was better than it actually was, but I don't think I am. I guess that's because the story isn't so much about the major worldchanging conflict in Rudy's life, but how he chose to approach those conflicts and his life as a whole. It's not really a story about an hero saving the world, just someone making the most out of a second chance.

On a mostly unrelated note: is there a story about this truck driver who keeps running over all these people yet? I'm imagining that's it's the same truck/truck driver across all these series.
I feel same about this story. I have read a lot of fantasy and light novels, and this is one of the best. This story has emotional maturity which is very rare in fantasy. MC feels very human, and never becomes any great hero, or even antihero. Yet he is very likeable and believable character.

We are spared most of light novel cliches, and there is also not many fantasy cliches. No great propechies or saving the world. Just the one guy doing his best to live his second change in life.

The main villain was really great. He was mysterious and dangerous. Yet in the end, he was not even that important. MC did not really hate him, and he did not worry about the world and his relatives anymore. He had done his part.

He had really lived and loved, fought and struggled. He was simply satisfied with his life, and moved on without clinging to anything. That ending was really great, and it bought everything to the full circle. His wish was completely fulfilled, and at the same time he managed to change many lives for the better. That's really best you can hope from the life.
ththth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 06:46   Link #11283
hound297

Looks like Rudy has given his seal of approval to bald loli. Next chapter should be the wedding ceremony.
hound297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 06:53   Link #11284
Breimoon

>Next Ch Never
When is it supposed to come out?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 11:01   Link #11285
dim1
God of Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTurtleOm View Post
Now that the translations have reached the end:

Mushoku Tensei sounds like a crappy series from its synopsis, and any descriptions I could possibly give of it. Even if I described the ending, it sounds like a pretty shitty ending. (MC dies of old age, encounters main antagonist in the afterlife, is told that the antagonist will go after his family and friends now that MC is dead.) Despite that, I think it's actually the best Japanese web/light novel series that I've read, and even with all the loose ends, the ending was immensely satisfying, which seems to be a trouble area for most series regardless of origin or media.

It's to the degree where I wonder if I'm somehow deluding myself into thinking the series was better than it actually was, but I don't think I am. I guess that's because the story isn't so much about the major worldchanging conflict in Rudy's life, but how he chose to approach those conflicts and his life as a whole. It's not really a story about an hero saving the world, just someone making the most out of a second chance.

On a mostly unrelated note: is there a story about this truck driver who keeps running over all these people yet? I'm imagining that's it's the same truck/truck driver across all these series.
The reason why a story is great is never because the conflict is great or the ending is so perfect with a fix for everything, if so it would have been cheesy and corny with all of us in awe of just the conflict and obsessed with the battle, if the scale mattered then the slice of life genre or small scale stories would have died out a long time ago, the reason this story is great in my opinion is because we have an MC who was generally bad overall in his past life and we see him from the start taking advantage of his past life knowledge, and see him grow into a person not what he once was but into something truly admirable in many ways.

We have a fully realized world built in MT so we are actually attached to it because we can understand it on multiple levels of civilization, society, and geography.

We have characters from different walks of life and social levels interacting and changing with the story like the MC they aren't just fixed in their ways and cliches till the end what happens in the story changes their lives as well, which creates a unique dynamic which most stories lack, I've seen 100s of stories where the side characters never change at all they stick to their preset settings like robots and react the same always, it isn't bad because they aren't the focus of the story but because they don't change the story loses some impact.

Finally we have the conflict, and reason why Rudy fights isn't for some crappy reason of truth or justice or even just plain selfishness or hatred, but out of a good reason: protect his family, I know I would do the same, and most people would if they loved their families would fight at any cost. The sides of the conflict aren't clear cut good and evil just one side wanting to defeat the other for their reasons not to save the world, not to destroy the world (maybe?) but because Hitogami killed the Orsted's father out of fear and Orsted wants revenge.

Anyway time to wrap up my long list of praise, and throw in some flaws, the ending of course isn't an ending but we have hope of a final ending with the sequel so I'll reserve my judgement on that. The characters held depth but some of them were strange, and if I had to apply modern values to them I would be running to call the cops on many of their actions, Well since the series ended I'm still happy with the series so I can't get angry with any of it, except the arcs had ranging extremes of tensions which was a little off putting if you read it all in one go? Well whatever loved the series my reasons are above but anyway I don't think you are holding this series too highly it was just one of the good ones.

On a side not the truck driver gets run over with a truck and reincarnates!

“T-the truth? What was that?”

Having a bad feeling about it, Shia asked while her cheeks twitched, and Kam smiled while confidently declaring.

“90% of this world’s problems can be solved with violence”
dim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 11:02   Link #11286
hound297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
>Next Ch Never
When is it supposed to come out?
Soon ? there should be a Norn's marriage chapter (上).
Old 2015-05-21, 20:41   Link #11287
Jyazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound297 View Post
Looks like Rudy has given his seal of approval to bald loli. Next chapter should be the wedding ceremony.
Don't you mean bald lolicon?

Poor Rudy, Orsted dropped a bomb on him.
Jyazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 04:29   Link #11288
electronicwatermelon
fruit

where i can read the raw side story dear???

you all make me curious
electronicwatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 04:42   Link #11289
SlendermanHD
青竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicwatermelon View Post
where i can read the raw side story dear???

you all make me curious
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n4251cr/
SlendermanHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 04:52   Link #11290
electronicwatermelon
fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlendermanHD View Post
terima kasih
electronicwatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 05:29   Link #11291
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim1 View Post
Anyway time to wrap up my long list of praise, and throw in some flaws, the ending of course isn't an ending but we have hope of a final ending with the sequel so I'll reserve my judgement on that. The characters held depth but some of them were strange, and if I had to apply modern values to them I would be running to call the cops on many of their actions, Well since the series ended I'm still happy with the series so I can't get angry with any of it, except the arcs had ranging extremes of tensions which was a little off putting if you read it all in one go? Well whatever loved the series my reasons are above but anyway I don't think you are holding this series too highly it was just one of the good ones.
im sure many people will disagree but i want to see rudy becoming reincarnated again because his soul was different than that of the others...
seeing him reincarated 100 years in the future in a reality where laplace was still not defeated would be awesome, he would grow up while training, and instead of a loving family he will be a orphan and see the world from the "bottom of society", and while he trains to become strong, he will even be a slave,
this could be really awesome, the whole story
but i dont mind, the story was great the way it is, even if this is the final end

for the bolded part: YES!!!! agree to all your reasons...
i cant say if this story is great or a "once in a lifetime"-experience, but im sure that i LIKE thos story, nothing more nothing less, i never found a story THAT pleasing as this one,
i dont really know why i like it, the chars are ok, they have flaws, the interactions between rudy and the other ones had some downpoints but i dont know, all of the story, even the "flaws" are simply awesome
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 05:39   Link #11292
Starlightz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
im sure many people will disagree but i want to see rudy becoming reincarnated again because his soul was different than that of the others...
seeing him reincarated 100 years in the future in a reality where laplace was still not defeated would be awesome, he would grow up while training, and instead of a loving family he will be a orphan and see the world from the "bottom of society", and while he trains to become strong, he will even be a slave,
this could be really awesome, the whole story
but i dont mind, the story was great the way it is, even if this is the final end
Too bad, roughly ~40 years from Rudi's death, if Laplace is still alive (= Hitogami is not accessible), the world get reset, so there isn't any "100 years in the future where laplace was still not defeated" =P
Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 07:02   Link #11293
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer

Just read the last chapter of Norn's marriage.

Aaah, one's end is another's beginning...a very emotional chapter filled with tears of joy. First half was from Norn's perspective before the wedding & the second returns to Rudy's POV.

Some tidbits
Spoiler:

Also, apparently the reason Rudy never tasted Norn's cooking despite all those years was because she was practicing somewhere else (like school).
Old 2015-05-22, 07:32   Link #11294
Unknown1950
Mysterious Existence

New chapter is now making me wonder, who the heck will be Aisha husband.
Spoiler for Meh:
Old 2015-05-22, 07:46   Link #11295
Breimoon

I am more interested in the beast girls
Spoiler for raw:
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 08:32   Link #11296
Ladiusman

Did the Holy Trinity show in Norn's PoV?
Ladiusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 08:52   Link #11297
Unknown1950
Mysterious Existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladiusman View Post
Did the Holy Trinity show in Norn's PoV?
Only for the three holy advice about love, war, and knowledge.
Old 2015-05-22, 09:00   Link #11298
yulinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown1950 View Post
New chapter is now making me wonder, who the heck will be Aisha husband.
Spoiler for Meh:
Spoiler for spec:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
I am more interested in the beast girls
Spoiler for raw:
Spoiler for beastie:

Last edited by yulinard; 2015-05-22 at 09:20.
yulinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-22, 19:55   Link #11299
hound297

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulinard View Post
Spoiler for beastie:
Humans need not apply then.
Old 2015-05-24, 01:45   Link #11300
yulinard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound297 View Post
I keep wondering why when the word slave was used they always revered to sex slaves. I just came back from batoto after reading himekishi classmate, then check the wn and wonder why:

1- Slave always refer to sex slave.
2- Is mars x Venus relation went realy bad in Japan to polularize that wn in instant?

I can see how all of this comming. Unlike the rest of the world Japan culture development is unique. After Waring state period, people are banned from traveling outside their domain so there are less urbanization and less workforce absorbtion in industrialized area. The best example of slavery you can find in this period is peasant farmer selling their daughter to red light district. Then the meiji Era where Japan enter industrial age in a flash with alot of help from west, without thousand years of pain suffered by other civilizations. So I can understand why alot of wn/ln always turn slaves into sex slave.

In other civilization slaves mainly used as labor. They are unreliable as soldiers other than cannon fooder. And civilization with slave driven economy usualy does not operate red light district. So it always bother me if I read ln/wn with slavery but their economy are not slave driven and those slaves are often sex slaves. Mt are somewhat more consistent than other wn/ln although I still wonder why Sharia thrive from slave trade although their economy are run by academy graduates and not at war.

For second question, it always in my mind after watching youtube video about syntethic relationship. Is mars x venus relation really went bad right there?
yulinard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate world, fantasy, gods, harem, incest, og isekai, polygamy, reincarnation, seinen, time travel, true harem, webnovel