Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-12, 02:45   Link #61
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Why don't you use Open Office? O_o
I'm running Mac OS. A recent announcement between the OpenOffice team and Sun indicates that OpenOffice will be ported to Mac OS, which is good news. There is already an OpenOffice fork that was made for Mac OS (I forgot the name), but it sounds like it's not really stable. The website even advocates using Microsoft Office if you need a really dependable solution - doesn't inspire much confidence. People have recommended it, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't feel like "obtaining" MS Office if I can help it here, either.

But even on my desktop with Linux, I'd still keep Windows around for Microsoft Office. I've heard that OpenOffice has some odd quirks every now and then. And worse (but no surprise) occasionally you get a MS Office document that just opens in a completely weird manner, messed up formatting and all.

I do have Kubuntu as a virtual machine too, though, so I'll try to experiment a bit more with it as well. I plan to keep my desktop system running OpenSUSE for now, though.
Old 2007-05-12, 02:58   Link #62
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
My dad's wife uses MS Office in her iMac, and as far as I know, she's never had any trouble with it.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 03:07   Link #63
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
My dad's wife uses MS Office in her iMac, and as far as I know, she's never had any trouble with it.
I wouldn't expect any trouble, I just don't want it on my system. So I keep the Windows version confined in my virtual machine for Windows.

System stability/security and a virtual sandbox and all that... (and a desire to keep legal)
Old 2007-05-12, 04:16   Link #64
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Leather chair, guys... Leather chair... o.O

And yep, I'm dual-booting. I was considering looking into VMWare and then there's Wine. So, I'm going to look into what will really work with me before I start installing.

I still haven't worked on repairing Windows' side, but I'm sure I'll get to it this weekend, now that I get my two days off.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 06:53   Link #65
toru310

Ermm since I posted my problem here before I'll be needing help again..It's no fire but just need some information about this site http://www.dluxproductions.com/games/(Don't click if not sure) well made a google and my McAfee siteadvisor is all green meaning no threats what so ever. Well I was curious because I was visiting friendster and I looked at some of my classmates testimonials and It got a game with his picture(face) on it well I guess my former classmate did it..well anyway I clicked it and played a little and after I won the short game my mozilla clicked..you know when it says pop up block..So I'm asking is it one of does annoying ads that you see in some websites..? Sorry for the flood..don't know if I should make another thread..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 12:39   Link #66
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, I resolved the problem as to why I couldn't use my browsers on Windows XP's normal mode. I can't believe I missed the simplest things. It's good to have a second pair of eyes sometimes, right? It seems that I had removed the culprit that was causing the root of all the problems from the very beginning already, but my expired Norton had reacted violently after uninstalling some portions of SystemWorks that it's firewall blocked port 80. Having disabled the firewall, I thought that would do the trick, but Norton was so persistent that it kept running...somehow. A quick and full uninstall did the trick and now, I'm using Kerio Firewall and Symantec's Corporate Edition Anti-Virus.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 13:28   Link #67
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I had a similar experience with Norton once. The whole Norton security pack seemed too intrusive and performance hungry in my opinion, which is why I changed my security package.
Old 2007-05-18, 14:31   Link #68
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Norton and McAfee are horrible to remove. But you have to be careful with security software no matter who it comes from. I remember doing some activity once - I feel like it was upgrading from WinME to WinXP - and an error occurred over Kerio. Kerio had some module loading that was interfering with the process. Funny thing was, the install process had already completed far enough that I couldn't get back into Windows ME (not even under safe mode), but I couldn't access Windows XP. No way of shutting that module off... I forgot how I came through with it, but that was a fun one.
Old 2007-05-19, 09:46   Link #69
arcadeplayer987

I use Nod32 + Zone Alarm Firewall and I never had any problems with virus
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote