AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-15, 08:12   Link #321
dervish_candela
wandering incompetent

I only recently discovered this little gem.
Really got me with the charming ever-curious Yotsuba Erin, although storytelling seems to be unnecessarily non-existent lately. And Erin's characterisitic curiosity about all things alive (she really reminded me of G.Durrell's books where he describes his childhood in Korfu) getting replaced with tons of angst doesn't pass for splendid character development in particular >_>. Maybe I had my expectations too high after Moribito... I'm still having high hopes for the last dozen of episodes, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
If she would make things different they would mate and reproduce in capture which would break lid on they mass-use.
Indeed the main concern of Aowrow code seems to be preventing information about the possibility of touda reproducing in captivity leaking out. It is thought to be impossible even by professional touda breeders (or they wouldn't be hunting for touda eggs), and whatever Soyon did, it served to protect the secret(regardless of whether she actually poisoned them or simply left them to die).
dervish_candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 10:06   Link #322
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish_candela View Post
It is thought to be impossible even by professional touda breeders (or they wouldn't be hunting for touda eggs), and whatever Soyon did, it served to protect the secret(regardless of whether she actually poisoned them or simply left them to die).
Most likely second after all... It's stupid to think that every mating season when breeders have fertile touda some green-eye sneak to poison them. Possible, but stupid. Not like story shown so far.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 17:40   Link #323
dango9

Is it just me or is this whole concept of protecting the secrets/code (eg. Soyon killed...) is confusing/unclear ....
dango9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 02:57   Link #324
dervish_candela
wandering incompetent

How is it confusing exactly? More like frustrating, I'd say.
1) All aspects of Ojuu and Touda (mis-)handling have been codified so nobody would be able to repeat «The Mistake».
a) using the mute whistle on beasts makes actually taming them impossible.
b) using special «beneficial» water actually makes it impossible to breed both Ojuu and Touda in captivity. Most likely Touda die (poor Soyon), and Ojuu become infertile (Erin noticed that in ep.38).
2) Aowrow dedicated their lives to protecting the truth about things with religious fervor.
3) People in Queen's quarter enforce mishandling of Ojuu no less religiously, maintaining the mistaken belief that communication with beasts is impossible.

This is understandable approach. However, useless. Not only it is not quite humane (to both people and animals), it's also ineffective in long-term: because smart and kind people like Soyon and Erin would appear now and then, and history will repeat itself.

Erin herself understands this more than anyone. If they don't start building a new social structure, which would incorporate all four parties (touda, wajaku, ojuu and holon) in tight relationship rather than separating them apart with restrictions, their country is done for. And I guess she'll eventually have to lay the foundation for that new society Although we have yet to see her answer to this problem, especially after what happened in ep.39 :>

Last edited by dervish_candela; 2009-10-16 at 04:07.
Old 2009-10-16, 12:50   Link #325
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango9 View Post
Spoiler for killing touda:
I thought about that too but then I remembered how Soyon's been brought up to obey the laws of her tribe and have been reminded how bad it would be if the Great Sin occurred again - Much greater priority than family members. Then there's also the fact that she took out her life savings and gave them to Saju's family to take good care of Erin too before her execution.

Both details aren't made very clear in the show, only in the novel. Probably because it's a children's show and the director doesn't want to make children think there are things much important than family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervish_candela View Post
I only recently discovered this little gem.
Really got me with the charming ever-curious Yotsuba Erin, although storytelling seems to be unnecessarily non-existent lately. And Erin's characterisitic curiosity about all things alive (she really reminded me of G.Durrell's books where he describes his childhood in Korfu) getting replaced with tons of angst doesn't pass for splendid character development in particular >_>. Maybe I had my expectations too high after Moribito... I'm still having high hopes for the last dozen of episodes, though..
Well, she is traumatised witnessing her mother being devoured alive and having to deal with the actions of her tribe... That's quite a lot to handle for a little girl and growing up means you tend to dwell on thoughts more than when you were younger because you start to know what responsibility is... Well, at least to a certain extent for some people.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 12:57   Link #326
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This show has had me thinking all week. That tells me it's pretty darn good.

I'm amazed at the way the writing makes us feel about what happened in Episode 39. Erin and Lilan wiped out a squad of nameless, faceless bad guys and their nasty monsters, and rescued the queen. In some stories, that would get you a big award ceremony, with Princess Leia putting a medal around your neck while R2D2 and C3PO watched admiringly. Instead, we've been led to see it as a horrible tragedy and the return of a great ancient crime.

After looking at it from several points of view, I've reached the conclusion that it's neither a great triumph nor a great crime. Erin did what she had to do. She wasn't just going to stand there and watch the queen's party be massacred. And Lilan did what comes naturally for a beast-lord to do when touda are around. Erin didn't realize just how instinctive and violent a beast-lord's reaction to touda would be, but neither did anyone else. True, Erin had seen a beast-lord take out three touda in the wild, and the rangers and others who patrol the wild have probably seen something similar, but that's different from what happened on the river. From what we know, I'd guess that no one has seen a beast-lord in that kind of battle situation since the time of Queen Je.

So what happens now? Erin learns the error of her ways and adopts all the techniques of the Beast-Lord Imperatives? A mute whistle for Lilan and special water for the baby? Somehow, I doubt it. The Beast-Lord Imperatives seem like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Je was so horrified by her experience that she took drastic action to keep it from happening again. But ever since Erin met Lilan, she's been looking for a new path, one that doesn't rob the beast-lords of their natural spirit. She's had a setback, but I don't see her giving up the effort.

I think if there's an overall message or theme to this series (so far, at least), it's that human beings need to live and work more in harmony with animals, respecting them as living beings instead of treating them like tools. In Episode 38, everyone is amazed by Erin's ability to "control" Lilan. But it's not really "control" - it's more like "negotiation." If Damiya or anyone else thinks they can turn Lilan into a new super-weapon, they're in for a big surprise. Lilan doesn't work that way, not even for Erin.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 15:01   Link #327
dervish_candela
wandering incompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
you tend to dwell on thoughts more than when you were younger because you start to know what responsibility is...
Of course. Erin will have to cope with the memory of that horrible event through all her life. That's exactly why I feel that dedicating a few episodes for that seems overdone. It is not something to 'overcome'. Weaving this theme into her everyday life would be more adequate (and less boring to watch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Erin did what she had to do.
Indeed she did just that Nobody of us doubted she would do that, right?

Quote:
So what happens now?
That's the most interesting part I can't wait to see what she comes up with. Many shows before came up with complex problems in applied ethics, but actually solving those requires more than Fine Art of Handwaving

Quote:
In Episode 38, everyone is amazed by Erin's ability to "control" Lilan. But it's not really "control" - it's more like "negotiation." If Damiya or anyone else thinks they can turn Lilan into a new super-weapon, they're in for a big surprise. Lilan doesn't work that way, not even for Erin.
Really, funny how almost noone realizes that Erin doesn't "control" or "manipulate" Lilan with some strange abilities, but has the kind of relationship one would have with their dog or horse Maybe Ezal and Tamura do understand. (even Nason seems to be amazed, so he might himself believe normal communication to be impossible)
Old 2009-10-17, 11:46   Link #328
Miles Teg

Novel 2 has been released in France 2 days ago

Like with the first novel the anime follow the source material (as close as possible for a kid show) and add a lot of (good) filler. Episode 39 correspond more or less to the middle of this novel.

If you have question about spoiler or other thing about the difference between novel and anime you can PM me.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 00:29   Link #329
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Spoiler for Episode 40 w/o subs:

And also...

Spoiler for Preview for Episode 41:
Old 2009-10-18, 02:14   Link #330
golthin

Quote:

Spoiler for small details missing from above spoilers:
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 07:57   Link #331
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
His own obviously. Just he doesn't have many choices as of now.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 16:04   Link #332
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Spoiler for small details missing from above spoilers:
Ah, thanks for filling that in.

I didn't think Erin's background, i.e. that her mother was a touda vet, was any kind of a big secret. I just thought it hadn't really come up in conversation.
Old 2009-10-19, 21:37   Link #333
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Finally caught up! And it really seems like everything is coming together now, it has just the workings of an amazing anime. Political intrigue, no completely right side, the heroine that is struggling to find her own correct path, the mystery, just wish more people were into this.

Spoiler for episode 41 preview:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 02:58   Link #334
Gooral
Banned

Why doesn't this awesome show have its own Social Group yet? We should make one, that way if someone enters our profiles it's possible that they would want to know more about anime (especially if the profile belongs to someone that doesn't belong to many social groups).

As for the episode 40.

It's rare for me to watch anime where there is zero action without reverting my eyes even for a second / picking in my nose. This episode somehow managed to completely absorb my attention. This anime makes miracles and almost every time I'm surprised (in a positive way). Even if the next 10 episodes would be crappy (which is impossible) it's gonna be one of my favourite anime for a long time.
Spoiler for ep. 40:
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 00:53   Link #335
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Well, first of all, a big thanks to the moderators around here for creating the "Crunchyroll" designation, which brings this show back into the "fansub" category. I don't subscribe to Crunchyroll, and I don't download anything from the Crunchy-rippers, which means I watch those other subs that we weren't supposed to talk about.

That means I've only seen Episode 41 without subs, and I'm not going to use the spoiler-code to discuss it - most of it was conversation that I could only follow in pieces. There was one event I did understand very clearly, and that was yet another mega-plot twist. If you saw the episode, you know what I'm talking about.

And I'm going to go out on a big limb here - I'm no longer convinced that Damiya is a bad guy. Annoying, yes. Suspicious, yes. He has his own agenda, for sure. But we haven't actually seen him do anything. In my experience, when we're shown things that make us suspicious over and over again, without being shown anything carried to the extent of actually being a bad guy, it means that all the suspicious stuff is a red herring. Besides, it still doesn't make sense that he would have ordered the touda attack on the queen's boat and not found a way to get himself off the boat before it happened. He was in as much danger as anyone, and he was actually injured in the attack. That's not exactly the mark of an evil genius.

I could very easily be wrong, of course - but it's enough to make me wonder.
Old 2009-10-25, 08:55   Link #336
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm no longer convinced that Damiya is a bad guy.
Kirik reported to Damiya as if he was his master, and we know Kirik knew about the Touda attack. That alone is enough to set Damiya as one of the bad guys (if not the main bad guy) imo. But let's wait and see. I got the feeling Damiya is going to reveal his plot next episode. After that big plot twist in episode 41, it is the perfect moment for him to make his move (if he is the bad guy, that is).

Too bad for Erin though. For a moment there it seemed that everything was going to be alright for her. But of course, we can't have that just yet. We need more drama lol.
Old 2009-10-25, 12:16   Link #337
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Kirik reported to Damiya as if he was his master, and we know Kirik knew about the Touda attack.
Yes, that's true, but we don't know what they said to each other. For example, Kirik could be a double-agent sent to infiltrate the rebels - he did kill all the egg thieves, after all - and he could be telling Damiya what the rebels are up to.

It's like a poker game, where some of the cards are on the table but no one has shown their full hand yet. We think we know what we're looking at, but we could be in for a surprise or two. Or not. We just have to wait and see.
Old 2009-10-25, 13:48   Link #338
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Holy guacamole and the plot twists keep coming!
Spoiler for episode 41:

Spoiler for Episode 42 preview:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 11:34   Link #339
bbee

Damn, episode 41 was nothing short of brilliant.
Is there a doubt left in anyone's mind that this is the best show of the year? If they hadn't included the dumb comic relief duo (which wasn't in the novel) this show would have been legendary, right up there with Moribito.

I loved the way Erin was played out against the queen in this ep. She appeared before her to explain herself and confess her guilt, prepared to face the consequences, but she ended up relieved. The beauty is that I get the feeling that her relief came not because she would be forgiven, but because she finally told someone her mother's secret. And not just to anyone, but such a motherly figure as the queen. It must have felt like the end of a long journey to Erin. Too bad the feeling didn't last!

Looks like my theory of what might happen that I posted a while ago still holds. Ofcourse we still don't quite know the full picture about who's working for whom (see discussion a few pages back), but it looks like the battle for the succesor's affections is heating up.

Great show! No matter what happens, I just hope it doesn't end as tragically as it started, and Erin gets to have a future ;_;
Old 2009-10-26, 11:39   Link #340
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Is there a doubt left in anyone's mind that this is the best show of the year?
I'm actually having a hard time deciding whether this or Cross Game are the show of the year, but it is up there as one of the best shows I've seen, and I'm enjoying every sinlge episode.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.