AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-25, 14:36   Link #1521
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Scholastic has already announced that's it for the translations.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 22:59   Link #1522
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
RightStuf is selling the "Wal-Mart Edition" of Moribito for just $25. This version has all eight disks on a common spindle from what I've read, so you might want to repackage them after the set arrives. The "premium" box set sells for $91!

Erin Finnegan at ANN suggests this week that Media Blasters might be on its last legs. Even more reason to buy a copy of Moribito as soon as possible. (MB also licenses two other favorites of mine, Twelve Kingdoms and Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu, aka "Tweeny Witches.")
Latest Rightstuff price of Moribito is $19.99 (just ordered it). I already have Tweeny Witches on my library shelf.
Old 2010-11-26, 07:54   Link #1523
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Latest Rightstuff price of Moribito is $19.99 (just ordered it). I already have Tweeny Witches on my library shelf.
Maybe they're trying to move the DVDs in anticipation of the Blu-ray release in early 2011.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 04:35   Link #1524
tion

Just a hopefully helpful post to non-Japanese speaking folks who are wondering like crazy on whether or not Balsa and Tanda end up together (for realz!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by itis View Post
If people are curious if something happens between Balsa and Tanda

Spoiler for balsa and tanda:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
The final novel brings their subplot to a close, and if I'm not mistaken...

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
At the end of the tenth novel,
Spoiler for At the end of the tenth novel:
Also adding my theory that
Spoiler for Balsa and Tanda's ages:
tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 23:14   Link #1525
Tri-ring

Just finished the last 3 volume arc, Ten to Chi no Moribito and the only thing I can say is WOW.
Real dramatic events happening.

Spoiler for Events:

A true epic with various elements you'll find in Greek Myths, Shakespeare and other bold tales of a young boy turning into a true man molded by hardship and the heavy burden to save his people that lies on his shoulders.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 06:07   Link #1526
BiZz
God ?

Hey ! I watched Serei no Morobito recently and I really enjoyed it !

Are there animes like Serei no Moribito or 12 Kingdoms ?
You know, with a great background, characters, something mature without all the fanservice (I can't bare that)

Thanks
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 08:24   Link #1527
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The most obvious choices would be:

Kemono no Sou-ja Erin - Like Moribito, Erin is based on a novel by Uehashi Nahoko. It tells the story of a young girl who wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to mystical beasts. She becomes involved in a political struggle when it is discovered she has some unique powers. Intended perhaps for a slightly younger audience than Moribito, but still compelling for this adult. Erin was one of Crunchyroll's early projects, and the translation is not the best. Look for the subs, which are definitely superior.

Saiunkoku Monongatari - Impoverished princess Kou Shurrei is offered the position of Imperial Consort to a newly-crowned young emperor who is thought to be a homosexual. Smart and ambitious Shurrei wants to become the Empire of Saiunkoku's first female official. Two seasons of 39 episodes each.

Two entirely unrelated shows I'll add are "Bakeneko" and Mononoke. These are a set of short stories about a travelling medicine seller who slays demons. You can watch Mononoke, which is unlicensed, without watching its precedessor, but you'll have a better understanding of events in the latter show if you watch Bakeneko first.

Aoi Bungaku is an anthology of adaptations of famous Japanese novels. Mouryou no Hako concerns some detectives trying to solve a set of horrific murders of teen-aged girls. Japanese culture and mores play a role in both shows.

Subs for these shows exist but are hard to find except on one tracker I cannot link to here because it also has licensed content. Google for "mouryou no hako torrents" and you'll find it.

Finally, while it has no connection to Asian cultures like the shows above, I'll suggest you watch Monster. It's set in Germany and Eastern Europe just after the fall of the Berlin Wall. A Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany saves the life of a young boy who lster becomes a mass murderer.
Old 2012-09-15, 11:44   Link #1528
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Believe it or not, I'd recommend Hikaru no Go. It has incredibly complex characters, a well-conceived plot, emotional honesty and an amazingly realistic vibe to it. The characters change both physically and emotionally, and there's even a bit of magical realism.
Old 2012-09-16, 05:06   Link #1529
BiZz
God ?

Thanks to you !
I'll check those animes
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 11:43   Link #1530
gopackgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tion View Post
Just a hopefully helpful post to non-Japanese speaking folks who are wondering like crazy on whether or not Balsa and Tanda end up together (for realz!).

Also adding my theory that
Spoiler for Balsa and Tanda's ages:
If I'm correct in one of the volumes doesn't Tanda ask Balsa to settle down with him. She never gives him a direct answer and leaves for a few years on one of her adventures.
gopackgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 09:15   Link #1531
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Moribito has mysteriously disappeared from Crunchyroll without a trace. I can't find any news about this event either.

Still, you can currently buy the DVDs for just $13 at RightStuf!
Old 2014-03-25, 19:27   Link #1532
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A nice honor for Uehashi-sensei.

I wasn't aware Viz had purchased the rights and was re-releasing Moribito on BD and DVD. Hopefully Scholastic will change their mind and translate the rest of the novels.
Old 2014-04-11, 00:53   Link #1533
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Is there anywhere where you can get a legal streaming for Seirei no Moribito now that Crunchyroll is no longer hosting it?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 01:06   Link #1534
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

VIZ was carrying it on its Neon Alley service, but I don't see it there now. Their rather stupid effort to build a "linear" online service unsurprisingly ended in failure. It looks like some of the shows are over on vizanime.com, but not Moribito. VIZ also now owns the home video rights as well.

You can still buy the stack-pack set originally distributed by Media Blasters.
Old 2014-04-11, 01:09   Link #1535
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I wanted to show it to a friend but I couldn't find a legal stream anywhere. Guess I'll have to buy the physical media.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 13:46   Link #1536
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Second Moribito novel to get manga adaptation

And maybe an anime version, too, perhaps?
Old 2014-04-17, 01:26   Link #1537
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Second Moribito novel to get manga adaptation

And maybe an anime version, too, perhaps?
Seiji, I'll slap you so hard for getting my hopes up. Intellectually, I know there isn't a chance in hell.
Old 2014-05-31, 08:17   Link #1538
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I just finished a rewatch of Cross Game this evening, and my solace for finishing that was knowing I was going to start a rewatch of Moribito afterwards (perhaps my fourth?). And my God, it's amazing how transportive an experience it is - the show absolutely hasn't lost a step.

There are many anime that have moved me profoundly through their story - Cross Game among the elite. But Seirei no Moribito is really the only one that can move me so much simply through my awe at how perfect and magnificent it is.
Old 2014-05-31, 10:04   Link #1539
Blaat

What coincidence I recently watched Moribito as well (third time for me though) and it's definitely as good if not better than I'd remember. Weird part is I give up a lot on rewatches but this one sucked me right in and I couldn't let go until I finished it.

Still want to see the sequels animated though.
Old 2014-05-31, 18:57   Link #1540
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've completely given up hope on that - money speaks too loudly. I'd be thrilled if they all get manga treatments. There may be a small chance that a studio would do a live-action film of the second book (or who knows, maybe even the first one) someday, but the anime ship sailed to the Undying Lands long ago.

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.