AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-12, 04:45   Link #321
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I definitely know what you mean. If we find out that Chloe "followed" them or something lame like that, I might just drop the series outright. The story is supposed to be about them as a duo.
Constant third-party interference = do not want. I'll feel much more comfortable if we don't see Chloe at all, at least for 2-3 more episodes.
I'm sure that we won't be seeing her that soon. I don't expect to see her for quite a long period too seen as she is an anime original character - she can't butt into the story too much when it is going by the original story that only includes horo and lawrence. For later she can add a nice twist to the story but it's still too early for that now. I'll continue to follow this series unless something really horrible happens

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 04:53   Link #322
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
Now that I think about it, what we see of the interplay between the old pagan rites and the new "one true religion" reminds me of the dichotomy between the pagan religion and Christianity in the 1973 version of The Wicker Man. While there's obvious differences between the two works, the way the old and the new don't mesh very well feels very similar, and it adds a nice touch of flavor to Spice and Wolf. I also suspect that this will play a larger role in the overall story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer
The guard seemed baffled at the idea of trading in general, to my eyes. Sort of a "Wait, you drive around the country selling or bartering stuff to people in small towns, never settling down anywhere? What sort of idiot are you?" kind of reaction.
It would seem that, in this world, a travelling merchant does not just trade goods and produce. Ideas are exchanged during his travels as well. And ideas have a tendency for destabilising some communities, particularly the isolated ones.

That is a fairly relevant theme for Spice and Wolf. I hope the story unfolds that way.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 05:48   Link #323
Westlo
Lets be reality

To all the people who don't want a 3rd party I would be more worried about the other woman, Norah (Mai Nakahara ftw) than Chloe... all I know is that she's a novel character unlike Chloe.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 06:34   Link #324
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
So certainly it seems like Lawrence is a solid merchant trading in things that make sense. Curious what kinds of items we'll see him working with as the series moves along.
Spices, Iron [both needles/pins and bar stock] and Wool come to mind as possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I'm sure that we won't be seeing her that soon. I don't expect to see her for quite a long period too seen as she is an anime original character - she can't butt into the story too much when it is going by the original story that only includes horo and lawrence.
She is a drop in replacement for a bloke by the name of Yarei, so if he turns up again in the novels she's likely to sub for him again.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 07:14   Link #325
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I'm sure that we won't be seeing her that soon. I don't expect to see her for quite a long period too seen as she is an anime original character - she can't butt into the story too much when it is going by the original story that only includes horo and lawrence. For later she can add a nice twist to the story but it's still too early for that now. I'll continue to follow this series unless something really horrible happens
Since the series is short, I doubt they'll waste her on cameos. I have the feeling she had such a prominent role (and thus slightly changed the adaptation) in the first episode because she is important. I think further evidence is the final moments of the episode.

We'll probably get the merchant episode next week (since we seem to be moving a chapter an episode), but it will be interesting to see how closely they follow things. While I really liked the first episode, flukes happen and the real test will be episode two to see if they can keep the flow going.

I can't say I agree with Chloe being in the series but at the same time while the journey is about Lawrence and Horo it's also about the people they meet while traveling. I really doubt we'll get the love triangle thing going but I'm sure Chloe won't be too happy to find out she got "dumped".

Should be fun.
Old 2008-01-12, 07:46   Link #326
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Before I go to work this morning I felt I ought to upload the OP and ED I ripped from episode 1 to rapidshare so you guys could listen to them without starting up your favorite vidya-playin' app. Here you go.

http://rapidshare.com/files/83200413...___ED.rar.html
Old 2008-01-12, 08:31   Link #327
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But NeoSam said that it's shounen here.

I don't think that it's the count. Chloe is still a peasant after all and that guy had a sad look on his face. A count would send a minion for her. The OP also shows her being carted off somewhere (1:03). Maybe that person is from the Church. There is another lady similarly dressed like that guy in the cart too.

Maybe we get to see the Church smackdown from Chloe's perspective.
I have been pretty busy and I just read the discussion about the target readership (shounen/seinen).

Lets go one step at a time:

1) What label is Ookami to Koushinryou light novels published under?

Dengeki Bunko

2) What's the target gender of this label?

Males

3) Target age of this label?

hmm... something between teenage boys to men in their twenties.

Don't be amazed, but that's the target readership of most of what many japanese sites refer to as 少年向けライトノベルレーベル --> light novel label for shounen (boy).

Shounen light novel labels that are mentioned here are aimed at that readership (teenage boys to men in their twenties).

Many great light novels came from these labels like these three male oriented labels:

Dengeki Bunko brought us: Allison, Baccano!, Shinigami no Ballad, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Inukami!, Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu, Kino no Tabi, Lillia and Treize, Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo!, Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, Ookami to Koushinryou, Shakugan no SHANA, Shigofumi ~Stories of Last Letter~, Starship Operators, Wagaya no Oinari-sama.

Sneaker Bunko brought us: Suzumiya Haruhi, Trinity Blood, Mushi-Uta, Rental Magica

MF Bunko J brought us: Zero no Tsukaima, Kamisama Kazoku, Kage Kara Mamoru!

Above I only mentioned three male oriented labels with some of their light novels that got animated. There are many great light novel labels for males that have lots of great light novels published under them , many of them not animated yet. oh please god, an anime adaptation of Toradora! (please please please LOL).

That's it. as for the manga, Dengeki Maoh is definitely a seinen manga magazine.

Anyway, hopefully this post clarifies the target readership of the Ookami to Koushinryou light novels.

Ahh also thanks CrowKenobi for those images
Old 2008-01-12, 08:40   Link #328
JediNight
キズランダム

I liked how Lawrence was bringing salt up to the mountains and taking hides back down with him. Salt is a primary ingredient in natural hide preservation. Sorta like how salting meat makes it last longer as well. So it makes sense he would do a trade that way.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 12:02   Link #329
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I won't be worrying a large amount about Chloe. Unless she's planning on going for a spring and jumping into the cart. Maybe the business she was getting involved with could have repercussions, but not sure that she will get involved with Horo and Lawrence.

She worked fine for the first episode. Don't think they'd use her to mess with the main plot as the travels begin.

Nice that Ayako joined the subbing for this series.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2008-01-12 at 12:13.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 12:08   Link #330
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I liked how Lawrence was bringing salt up to the mountains and taking hides back down with him. Salt is a primary ingredient in natural hide preservation. Sorta like how salting meat makes it last longer as well. So it makes sense he would do a trade that way.
so, we know that the animator/scriptwriters have done their homework.

*puts another tick on his "Best 2008 Spring Anime series" check list*

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2008-01-12 at 13:06.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 12:35   Link #331
james84562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Indeed. I think it's good to have at least two to compare. I like the BSS one with the phrasing and grammar: everything flows smoothly. Infinite-Zero's, however, rephrases things in ways that are, at certain points, easier to understand. Like the little bit in the beginning about the wheat and the wolves, before the show proper starts. Having at least two subs available means we have two chances to figure out what something means rather than just one.

Anyway. I like the first episode enough that I'll stick with this for a little while, at least. See where it goes.

Thank you!!!
finally found someone reasonable here about the correctness of the subs
I haven't watched the other sub groups
but the opening you were talking about for BSS is completely wrong= =

it should be something like:
"once upon a time, people would describe the abundant wheat swaying in the wind as a wolf running through it. wheat that fell due to the wind would be said to be trampled on by the wolf. when the harvest wasn't good they would say the wheat was eaten by the wolf"
I might not be a good writer but at least thats kinda what it means. anyways, its just an old saying that has been passed on for hundreds of year by the villagers.

I mentioned this on some other anime forum and they said this is only some "minor" mistake and removed my topic orz

by the way, do you know which other sub groups are making Ookami now?
I kinda want to get a hold of them too
james84562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 12:39   Link #332
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
so, the we know that the animator/scriptwriters have done their homework.

*puts another tick on his "Best 2008 Spring Anime series" check list*

after watching first ep, I have to agree wholeheartedly, just love it!!

YAY to HORO!!!
Old 2008-01-12, 12:56   Link #333
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james84562 View Post
by the way, do you know which other sub groups are making Ookami now?
I kinda want to get a hold of them too
You can go to Animsuki's main site and do a search for "Spice and Wolf." That should list everyone who put out anything in the series. There were four groups who've done episode 1, last I checked. Ayako, BSS, Infinite-Zero, and Studio ADTRW. I've only seen BSS's and I-Z's.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 13:20   Link #334
Khaos

Wink

Just watched the first episode and fell in love with Horo instantly, so sweet and shrewd and I don't know which is more moe, the ears or the tail.
Generally I like the character designs, Chloe also is lovely, the story seems to be entertaining and the ending song and animation is great.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 13:23   Link #335
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
There were four groups who've done episode 1, last I checked. Ayako, BSS, Infinite-Zero, and Studio ADTRW. I've only seen BSS's and I-Z's.
AnimeLink also did a version of episode 1.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 16:34   Link #336
X207
Gamyūsa

it seems quite a few are joining in.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 17:58   Link #337
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
it seems quite a few are joining in.
yeha, seems like the new century will be the era of the inugirl.

move over nekogirl, theirs a new furry in erm...town.

Old 2008-01-12, 18:23   Link #338
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

And a wonderful new age it is too . Long live the reign of Horo!
Old 2008-01-12, 18:52   Link #339
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:

Hold on...did you forget about inukami? neko mimi has been away from town long ago

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 19:04   Link #340
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Hold on...did you forget about inukami? neko mimi has been away from town long ago
Well, let's just hope Horo doesn't teleport Lawrence into the streets naked. *has nightmares of crudely drawn blue elephant*
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen