AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-02-05, 12:29   Link #21
M.Marangio

Apparently, the movie will start July 17, 2010.

Links:
http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/...etty_roadshow/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pen-on-july-17
http://www.karigurashi.jp/

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2010-02-06 at 09:46. Reason: added link
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 16:13   Link #22
Kunagisa

As we're edging ever so closely to the air date, I've only found this teaser while hunting for a trailer. Me want watch on big tv.

Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 16:34   Link #23
Nijuu
Please don't hate me

Wow, that's really pretty!
But will it be focused on children or more like Sen to Chihiro? I miss works like Mimi wo Sumaseba.
Nijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 16:35   Link #24
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Wait and see…
Jill-Jênn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:41   Link #25
TCman

Hi,

I am really excited about this new Studio Ghibli's movie; I have watched several trailers.

Perhaps this is the best trailer for this movie so far - more footage, more scenes from the upcoming movie:

The theme song by Cécile Corbel is so beautiful and fits this anime movie so well!
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 20:48   Link #26
Theowne
耳をすませば

It looks beautiful as always. I'm still not a huge fan of the song, but it works pretty well. I hope this film surpasses expectations - Ghibli adaptations of Western novels (Earthsea, Howl) have not really been well received, by me at least.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-07-05 at 23:14.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 23:11   Link #27
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Earthsea and Howl were not good adaptations at all...

This has more of a ghibli feel to it. The song is really beautiful as well
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 23:13   Link #28
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Earthsea and Howl were not good adaptations at all..
Yes, I agree. But they were also not very good as movies, compared to the old Ghibli stuff either, objectively speaking. It does seem like this film might break that expectation, but maybe I'm just too excited to see the trailer.

Old 2010-07-09, 13:46   Link #29
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
It looks beautiful as always. I'm still not a huge fan of the song, but it works pretty well. I hope this film surpasses expectations - Ghibli adaptations of Western novels (Earthsea, Howl) have not really been well received, by me at least.
The good thing though is this film gives me vibes of Kiki's Delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart (two of my favorite Ghibli films). I hope I am right because I have been disappointed in the last couple Ghibli films.

Although personally I love the song. The music is what drew me in right away. It's just very whimsical and takes you to a far away place.
Old 2010-07-09, 15:41   Link #30
Kunagisa

For me personally, best Ghibli films for me are still Laputa and (especially Laputa) because of the atmosphere that drew me in. The world in those films is alluring in the sense that you feel the wonders, excitment, and the awe that completely drew you into those world. The feeling is truly magical in every sense of that word.

I haven't felt that way with Ghibli films since Spirited Away. I probably won't get that feeling again with this movie, but I am really hoping that this one would be like Ocean Waves and My Neighbor Totoro, both of which I enjoyed immensely as well and might be the best comparison to this movie (I could be wrong since I've never read the original work). As long as KnA does not disappoint me like Earthsea (Howl was barely passable still), I will still be able to enjoy the movie somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Although personally I love the song. The music is what drew me in right away. It's just very whimsical and takes you to a far away place.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The music in previous Ghibli works have certain charm to them that rhythmatically allure you to the fantasy world, which is what I felt from the trailer that TCman linked for us. I truly hope this does not disappoint.
Old 2010-07-09, 15:48   Link #31
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I haven't felt that way with Ghibli films since Spirited Away.
Yes, I feel the same. I've always felt that Spirited Away was the last true masterpiece from Ghibli. The newer ones have their charms, but none of them have had that lasting feel of a classic that I got from Totoro, Mononoke, and others.

I guess we're all hoping that Arrietty will break the chain.

Old 2010-07-09, 21:11   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Ponyo is very underrated, and in the long-run will be remembered as an extraordinarily fine Ghibli. While there are moments where it loses steam in the third act, it's as good a hybrid of sophisticated writing and pure childrens entertainment as you'll find. That might seem easy to do, but it's unbelievably hard.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 21:53   Link #33
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
it's as good a hybrid of sophisticated writing and pure childrens entertainment as you'll find
I don't know - I still think My Neighbor Totoro is far superior when it comes to this particular category (which I call "films for anyone who is or has been a child at any point"). I consider it pretty much a perfect film, whereas similar to what you said, I thought Ponyo dragged on a bit at points.

Of course, I personally think even the worst Ghibli is still pretty damn good. I just had a hard time mustering as much enthusiasm for Ponyo or Howl as compared to Laputa, Totoro, Nausicaa, and the other "classics" looming above.

Old 2010-07-09, 22:21   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Howl is a weak effort by Ghibli standards, I agree. But we disagree on Ponyo - it's orders of magnitude better.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 11:09   Link #35
Kirarakim

I liked Ponyo more than Howl's Moving Castle but definitely enjoyed Totoro more than Ponyo.

I definitely liked the non-CG animation of Ponyo and the childhood whimsy of it but there was still something missing for me. Or maybe I just didn't like that Miyazaki had to put in an environmental message in the movie. It's not that I mind subtle messages but it felt forced and the ending didn't work for me completely either. It was the same with the anti-war message in Howl's.
Old 2010-07-10, 16:39   Link #36
OpenDoors

New-ish trailer, too bad its only 30 sec =(
It is supposedly the 30sec cut of the final trailer.

OpenDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 03:56   Link #37
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDoors View Post
New-ish trailer, too bad its only 30 sec =(
It is supposedly the 30sec cut of the final trailer.

Wow, that looks awesome! When I was a kid, I used to hide under table and stack chairs around it to make it look like a fortress , this somehow reminds me VERY much of those times. The music is also soothing too, man this just gets me even more excited.
Old 2010-07-13, 22:37   Link #38
Siegel Clyne

I've spent hundreds of dollars on Ghibli animation videos. I hope to eventually add this to my collection.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 11:14   Link #39
Theowne
耳をすませば

An english review of Arriety has been posted by the trusty Mark Schilling (reviewer for the Japan Times).

Quote:
More importantly for this Ghibli fan, however, the film gave me hope that when Miyazaki lays down his pencil for good, the studio will have at least one worthy successor. Sure, Yonebayashi is no Miyazaki — but who is?

Old 2010-07-18, 13:37   Link #40
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I wish Ghibli will do more serious stuff like Fireflies. But hey, that is just me.

Tags
ghibli