AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

View Poll Results: Accel World - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 14.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 33.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 19.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 11.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-21, 21:04   Link #101
Calca
Expressionless

From now on, people who I don't like don't just suck. They Giga-Suck.

Also, I wouldn't mind turning Noumi into a fine swiss cheese.
Old 2012-07-21, 21:12   Link #102
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's a few things I'll say in Haru's defense, even though I myself got slightly annoyed with him this episode.
Good points all-around, you raised some ideas that I'd never considered myself. I hope I'm not coming across as completely unreasonable or as though I'm going to jump on anyone who faults Haru; you and thundrakkon both voiced some issues with him, but I don't have any problems with either of your posts at all.

What bothers me is the extremity with which he's been beaten down in this thread. There is absolutely no way in Hell he deserves to be torn to shreds and treated as though he's a total waste of oxygen. Many of the posters in this thread honestly just baffle me. Why is the person that trained himself to become tougher by downloading an illegal program that stimulates being shot by real bullets (A patched version that removes the feature where you're logged out soon as you're hit, at that!), that refused to let Taku throw a bunch of matches against to farm points because he thought that sounded dishonorable, that fought Nomi to protect Chiyu both in the Accel World and more importantly the real world, a spineless loser? Why is someone that immediately forgives a friend that spend the past two years deeply betraying him, that is almost unfailingly sweet and polite to people, that never fails to support Kuroyukihime whenever she's feeling depressed (Or any other friend for that matter), that reached out to a girl who he had every reason to believe was a complete deranged sociopath sure to betray them, and in general has never been anything except a supportive, loyal, faithful friend an ungrateful jerk that doesn't deserve any of his friends? What, is the fact that he slapped Chiyu's food away in the first episode really that big a deal? Saying or doing something you regret in the heat of the moment isn't exactly unprecedented, everyone does it once or twice.

Speaking of which, everyone else does worse things than Haru, but they don't receive the third degree like Haru has. Yukihime killed a perfectly nice guy that was completely off his guard (And is still depressed two years later! The nerve of that girl, how dare she have emotions!), where's the people getting on her case? What about Chiyu, who strings Taku along, shamelessly flirts with Haru in his presence, and dated a guy in love with her for whom she had no feelings simply to keep the boat from rocking? Or what about dear old Taku, who spied on his girlfriend for two years, actually did betray his friends, that jumped to conclusions this episode and accused Haru of something rather insulting, and attacked a girl who was in a fucking coma? Oh, that's right; none of them committed the cardinal sin of whining a bit, something that most people have zero patience for. Silly me.

I sincerely hope that you lot have more compassion and understanding for real human beings than you do for Haru, and that this stunning display of emotional retardation (Sorry, it's the most apt description I can think of) isn't the norm. If Haru's behavior here is completely inexcusable, I find it hard to imagine that you would all have any tolerance for anyone except those who are completely stoic, completely rational, completely devoid of any sort of angst or weakness or inner conflict at all, completely immune to those oh-so-irritating-and-intolerable basic human emotions Haru displays. I can't believe that so many people are being so hard on the poor kid simply for being depressed and bummed out for half a day. Jesus christ.
Old 2012-07-21, 21:27   Link #103
steven3242

speaking of avatar based on your most emotional/trauma feeling.

i wonder what make ash to have a motorcycle? did he have trauma against anything that has more than 2 wheels?

noumi really need to be swiss cheesed, rider kick by crow, stab by cyan pile and slash to pieces by KYH and thats probably still not enough.

sky laker really got my interest, closest to flying avatar? now retired? cant wait to see next episode.

but, i never realized that a physical disability would also affect your avatar in brain burst, cant walk in real life? you also cant walk in brain burst eh?
Old 2012-07-21, 22:28   Link #104
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I've been away for the last few days, so a bit late to the party on this episode.

From my perspective, I really liked the first half of this episode a lot. I think Haru's descent into despair was really well portrayed, and the emotions on display felt very real for me. Haru's self-esteem issues displayed early in the show have never actually healed, and that's why this sort of episode was so necessary to develop his character. The way he lashed out irrationally at Taku is just what happens when you're in that twisted state of mind. It's not exactly fun to see him in that state, but I think it's important and necessary. It wasn't for exactly the same reasons, but I've been where Haru is, and I know what that looks like. When he recovers from this setback, he'll be a much stronger person than he was before.

As for Ash Roller... I thought the transition here was a bit awkward, but it did speak something of the sense of camaraderie that can develop between people play the game, even if they're competitors. At the end of the day, they give it their all in the fight, but most of them could still be friends. I think this angle hasn't been shown too much to this point in the show, so I think it's valuable.

This may seem like a stupid and obvious statement, but it wasn't until Sky Raker called Haru "Karasu-san" that I realized the obvious metaphor at the center of this work (and certainly this arc). As they alluded to in the preview, Haru will fly again, with or without his "wings".

Edit: Also, I am a bit taken aback by the amount of people in this thread who claim that Haru's behaviour in this episode represents some sort of unexpected regression of character development. I personally didn't find that to be the case at all. His self-confidence was built upon circumstance, and he is slowly having the Jenga blocks pulled out from all sides until his resolve crumbles. And in such a situation, someone with low self-esteem naturally reverts to a destructive state. His world was only okay because things were going well -- he was using everything around him as a crutch. But left on his own to his own devices, without the elements that built him up, he still believes he has nothing. So yeah... for myself, I thought this was actually smart and well-considered character development, and perfectly consistent with what I expected. If anything, I thought it felt remarkably realistic, which is perhaps why I could relate to it so much. Of course, I can understand why some would find this frustrating to watch as well.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-21 at 22:43.
Old 2012-07-22, 00:30   Link #105
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...in all honesty...i find haru annoying...weak character...but thats probably cause im not 13 anymore...
...considering the fact thats hes a short fat 13 year old kid i say the way he acts is understandable...
...thinking back...i was bullied when i was in elenmentary school...being the only asian kid and being short i was pretty wimpy...it wasnt until i hit 12-13 that i became taller than most classmates and fought back...eventually becoming quite an angry and vengeful person...
>_>!

...hope haru quickly gains his abilities back and kick seji's @ss asap...then takes seji's hands as exchange for taking his wings...and i mean his real hands...he doesnt need them for burst link anyways...
...but thats just my crazy self talking now...
Old 2012-07-22, 00:41   Link #106
supermegasonic

i think it was a good decision to join this forum. its kinda amazing how so many ppl here have so many different and well thought out (ok most of the time) theories and opinions on this, its actually a bit hard for me to decide how i feel about this.

for the people who are hating on haru (not bashing you) some people in the real world have absolutely no goal's or reasons or any motivation whatsoever to live. and i dont mean the whole emo thing, i mean legit they dont know what their purpose in life is. that stuff can really destroy your self-esteem and worth.

haru is like that.
ofcourse when you finally find something, anything to help you get out of that crappy situation, anything to make you feel better, that object/person will be of the utmost importance. its the reason their feeling better.

haru's whole life was on that flying ability. take that away and were left with a shell. ofcourse he's gonna be like that.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:34   Link #107
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I've been away for the last few days, so a bit late to the party on this episode.

From my perspective, I really liked the first half of this episode a lot. I think Haru's descent into despair was really well portrayed, and the emotions on display felt very real for me. Haru's self-esteem issues displayed early in the show have never actually healed, and that's why this sort of episode was so necessary to develop his character. The way he lashed out irrationally at Taku is just what happens when you're in that twisted state of mind. It's not exactly fun to see him in that state, but I think it's important and necessary. It wasn't for exactly the same reasons, but I've been where Haru is, and I know what that looks like. When he recovers from this setback, he'll be a much stronger person than he was before.

As for Ash Roller... I thought the transition here was a bit awkward, but it did speak something of the sense of camaraderie that can develop between people play the game, even if they're competitors. At the end of the day, they give it their all in the fight, but most of them could still be friends. I think this angle hasn't been shown too much to this point in the show, so I think it's valuable.

This may seem like a stupid and obvious statement, but it wasn't until Sky Raker called Haru "Karasu-san" that I realized the obvious metaphor at the center of this work (and certainly this arc). As they alluded to in the preview, Haru will fly again, with or without his "wings".

Edit: Also, I am a bit taken aback by the amount of people in this thread who claim that Haru's behaviour in this episode represents some sort of unexpected regression of character development. I personally didn't find that to be the case at all. His self-confidence was built upon circumstance, and he is slowly having the Jenga blocks pulled out from all sides until his resolve crumbles. And in such a situation, someone with low self-esteem naturally reverts to a destructive state. His world was only okay because things were going well -- he was using everything around him as a crutch. But left on his own to his own devices, without the elements that built him up, he still believes he has nothing. So yeah... for myself, I thought this was actually smart and well-considered character development, and perfectly consistent with what I expected. If anything, I thought it felt remarkably realistic, which is perhaps why I could relate to it so much. Of course, I can understand why some would find this frustrating to watch as well.
Thank you for this post. Haru really needed this to grow as a person. As it stands, his self-confidence that was built up before was just flimsily built. He needs to have firm self-esteem that was built from overcoming trials with mostly his own power. Look at it this way. He hit rock bottom. So, there is only one way to go: Up.

Regarding Ash, he really shows that this game is all about competition but it doesn't mean you can't be friends at the end of a match.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:00   Link #108
steven3242

after watching this episode soo many times, i found it less annoyed by haru act, in fact it kind of remind me of my self when i was kid

iam adult now (28) and in real world i hate kids , but looking back when i was 12-14 i think i do have sad moment like haru. i think its the year when mini car racing is a big hit (tamiya, RC etc), i have 1 backthen but later got destroyed which i forget how and why but, i still remember i cry so hard to the point i dont want to go home because my parents bought it (obviously) and i break it down.

i always forgot that kids dont think like adults/teenage, when they find something they like (game/toys etc) they got hooked soo much that they though its the end of the world if its something happen to it, unlike teen or adult where they are pretty much "oh well, on the next game lol"

the only good thing from haru right now is BB game as in his avatar, his flying ability to be precise. take that out and what is he? nothing more than just a "pig".

i always spend almost 6-9 hours browsing internet/playing online game everyday, take the internet out then what of me? friend? yes i have like... 4? and thats only for "hangout" no activity nothing, i probably got bored to death before reaching mental breakdown like haru
Old 2012-07-22, 04:14   Link #109
redflame

Hey, this episode wasn't as bad as I thought.

Hmm.. Haru did annoy me a little, but I sense that there's something wrong with him. But who cares? He's just really sad, angry and confused. The fight with Dusk Taker.. Haru has definitely gotten stronger

After Haru lost his wings, the emotions were very well conveyed by both Haru and Chiyu to make the audience deeply feel sorry for them and to also hate Dusk Taker even more.

Nawww and Ash Roller can see his depression and he's becoming a friend. And LOL Ash roller flipped Haru and it was all blurred out XD Hehe, he so cool

Sky Raker seemed very nice

Screw you Dusk Taker, selfish people like you are gonna get pwned by the protagonists soon. It happens to almost all characters like you.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:20   Link #110
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

It just seems that after all the character development Haruyuki went threw, he just regressed back into what he was in the beginning of the anime. It's just weird.
Old 2012-07-22, 05:03   Link #111
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
It just seems that after all the character development Haruyuki went threw, he just regressed back into what he was in the beginning of the anime. It's just weird.
False sense of security for Haru in his wings.
Old 2012-07-22, 05:36   Link #112
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
From now on, people who I don't like don't just suck. They Giga-Suck.

Also, I wouldn't mind turning Noumi into a fine swiss cheese.
His Duel Avatar says a lot about him after all....bloody shitter...

Anyway, Ash wins this ep. Engrish and....something else... FTW
Old 2012-07-22, 05:51   Link #113
TJP1600
小桃姑娘

Ash Roller saved this episode lol. Without him would the episode have "Terra sucked"?

"VERY YES"
Old 2012-07-22, 08:07   Link #114
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I wonder if we will ever found out Ash's identity. And his guardian's, of course.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:42   Link #115
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Well, at the very least, the Opening Song shows a girl overlapped with the image of Sky Raker. So I think it is a pretty safe bet that we learn her RL identity.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:26   Link #116
Skane
Anime Snark

It puzzles me why Sky Raker is in a wheelchair? She dreams of being disabled? It would have made sense if her RL-self was in one too, but the OP seems to suggest that she's a walker. Too lazy to walk?

Eh?
Old 2012-07-22, 11:52   Link #117
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
It puzzles me why Sky Raker is in a wheelchair? She dreams of being disabled? It would have made sense if her RL-self was in one too, but the OP seems to suggest that she's a walker. Too lazy to walk?

Eh?
Spoiler for Legs:
Old 2012-07-22, 14:08   Link #118
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Regarding Haru's character, I can't say I hate the guy but I have been extremely apathetic to his woes, probably because the supposed hopelessness of the situation that's the source of angst is just too contrived for me to take and probably because it seems like he goes through these ups and downs of self esteem in almost every arc so it's kinda becoming a bit redundant. So I can't say I hate Haru's character. Rather I think it's more appropriate to say his character simply hasn't been done justice thanks to the poor writing. Accel World is a pretty plot driven story so the plot acts as the catalyst for the characterization. If plot developments aren't fully believably then the characterization that arises will inevitably fall short. So it's not really Haru's character that's the flaw here: It's the plot. At least that's how I see it.
Old 2012-07-22, 14:43   Link #119
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Ah, yes. The hate for Noumi rises. Good.
The beginning of the fight against Dusk Taker was great, Silver Crow did some awesome combos that cut down DT's HP a lot.

But after that, it went bad. Bad luck, Silver Crow got pinned down and DT took the chance, stealing Silver Crow's wings.

Now, Noumi says he'll return them...but will he keep his word? I seriously doubt it.

I mean, DT's left arm was something he stole from another Linker, and probably the right arm's equipment too. And we all know just how useful Flying ability is.

I'd say that "even now", Noumi keeps blackmailing the Linkers that he trapped before entering to Umesato and is still leeching points off them.

...it's only a theory, but quite possible.

Also, awesome Ash BROller in this ep His awful english is hilarious.
Old 2012-07-22, 18:38   Link #120
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Regarding Haru's character, I can't say I hate the guy but I have been extremely apathetic to his woes, probably because the supposed hopelessness of the situation that's the source of angst is just too contrived for me to take and probably because it seems like he goes through these ups and downs of self esteem in almost every arc so it's kinda becoming a bit redundant. So I can't say I hate Haru's character. Rather I think it's more appropriate to say his character simply hasn't been done justice thanks to the poor writing. Accel World is a pretty plot driven story so the plot acts as the catalyst for the characterization. If plot developments aren't fully believably then the characterization that arises will inevitably fall short. So it's not really Haru's character that's the flaw here: It's the plot. At least that's how I see it.
I don't know... back when I was a teenager, it didn't take too much for me to get angsty, particularly when it involved girls I liked. To that point, note that in his little flashback sequence, he tied his loss of his wings to the relationships he had with all the girls in his life. When he got mad at Taku, it was all about Chiyu and Kuroyukihime. Basically, he saw his success in the Accelerated World as being his only chance with the ladies, because his poor self-esteem causes him to believe that the girls only like him because of his "skills". This isn't true, but you have to think from his perspective that the series of events do seem to be correlated to some degree.

So I don't know... "poor writing"? I guess I don't really understand what you mean by the plot developments not being fully believable (makes sense to me, given the age and context of the characters), but even setting that aside, I think the characterization that resulted seems quite reasonable to me. Was I the only angsty teen with self-esteem issues growing up?