AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 08:44   Link #21
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I hate baseball. I've certainly heard plenty of good things about Cross Game....but I hate baseball. Now, I have enjoyed anime that involved baseball, but it's a rare thing. But, I'll think about it.
I'll quote Sackett's sig:"Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. "

Cross game isn't really about baseball,it's more used as a setting to tell a romance/drama story but there's been plenty of people that have enjoyed it without even bothering to learn the rules.

The main character doesn't even really like baseball and has no ambition in ever becoming a professional player (even if he has the talent to), he has other personal motives for playing it.
Old 2012-11-09, 13:28   Link #22
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'll raise you Hotarubi no Mori e. It's written by the author of Natsume Yuujinchou and has the same staff working on it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 23:10   Link #23
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I feel like my watched list would proclaim very loudly that I would have no interest in Rosario + Vampire, and I dropped SAO as I have no interest in incest-love-triangles (nor do I find anything else about the second arc compelling, though I did enjoy the first 14 episodes). That said, thanks for your suggestion.

I've seen Basilisk. Great show.

Shonen Onmyoji was average at best.

Box of Goblins looks interesting, and I've never heard of it. Thanks.

Shows like Mononoke I enjoy in very small doses. We'll see.

Seen Seto no Hanayome. Disposable comedy.

Emma is great.

Himitsu - Top Secret looks a bit...let's be polite and say girly?

Unless I'm missing something, Shura no Toki looks like a generic fighting anime.

Sword of the Stranger was alright. Again, I generally don't care for short stories, which I fit movies into (compared to the story a 13-26 episode anime tells). Same is true for Hotarubi no Mori e. We'll see.

I've got 339 shows (before I update it with missing shows from above) that I scored an 8 or better. Saying I mostly like Gonzo shows seems a tad...simplified?

Maybe I'll give Cross Game a shot.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 23:37   Link #24
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Another vote for Saiunkoku Monogatari here....

I notice you don't have Showa Monogatari there, and don't see Dog Days or Dog Days'. Also noticed you don't have any of the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series and that you considered giving them a shot - most liked seasons 1 and 2 but disliked 3 I have heard [I liked all three seasons], Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Skygirls, Kobato, Petopeto-san, Shuffle!, Sora no Woto, The Idolm@ster, The Twelve Kingdoms, the Shinigami no Ballad OVA's, Xam'd: Lost Memories, Angelic Layer, Moshidora, the Aria trilogy or Sketchbook Full Colors.

How about the Ghibli movies or the World Masterpiece Theatre works?

These are the most immediate that spring to mind....
Old 2012-11-09, 23:46   Link #25
gsilver

I don't see Mind Game anywhere on your list, and I see Kaiba, Kemonozume, and The Tatami Galaxy all with high ratings.

...So that's my pick and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, what's with the Japanese titles... There were a few instances where I thought "Oh, he hasn't seen this!" then I think to google the Japanese title, and see that it is indeed there. I should feel lucky that I didn't see a listing for Maindo Gēmu.
Old 2012-11-09, 23:58   Link #26
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Showa Monogatari is one of those things that I'm almost certainly going to enjoy, but will have to watch it all at once, when in a particular mood. I put it on hold while it was ongoing.

Unless there is something incredibly hidden beneath the surface, I can't fathom why in the world I'd be interested in Dog Days.

When it was airing, I didn't have the stomach for the sheer amount of cuteness of Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. It's an ebb and flow.

Skygirls? Um, no.

It's an incredibly rare Clamp show that I enjoy, and I have extreme doubts Kobato bucks that trend.

PetoPeto-san looks like it could be amusing.

Shuffle is about as opposite of the shows I've rated a 9-10 as it can get.

I should mention I rate K-On eyes about as highly as I rate panty-flashes.

12 Kingdoms is already on my list. As a 9.

Xam'd is on my list as a 9 already.

Ghibli movies are enjoyable in the presence of a particular type of girl I happen to be dating. On my own? Meh.

Aria put me to sleep.

I remember starting to watch Moshidora when it aired. No memory of why I never finished, which is usually not a good sign. Maybe I'll rewatch an episode or two to refresh my memory.

Ooooh. Mind Game is the first suggestion that I find very, very, compelling. Two helpings of cookies for you, gsilver.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-10, 01:18   Link #27
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

You seen almost everything that I liked. The only anime I can recommend that is not on the list, Initial D series which might be a little old and Oda Nobuna no Yabou which finished airing recently.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 01:24   Link #28
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
You seen almost everything that I liked. The only anime I can recommend that is not on the list, Initial D series which might be a little old and Oda Nobuna no Yabou which finished airing recently.
I tried getting into Initial D and just couldn't do it.

Oda Nobuna no Yabou is one of those shows I hate admitting I've watched, but I did, and it was mildly amusing, with a few deeply lol moments.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-10, 04:20   Link #29
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I see a lack of Sengoku Basara. Sure, the anime is rather over-the-top, but that also is what makes it so awesome IMO

Looks like you've seen a ton of stuff, so recommendations might be a bit tough to get. Also, it's an older anime and I'm not sure how much you've enjoy it, but I found Legend of Lemnear to be rather good. I also highly recommend Gall Force (didn't see it on the list) OVAs, and the original Dirty Pair OVAs are pretty good

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:51   Link #30
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I see a lack of Sengoku Basara. Sure, the anime is rather over-the-top, but that also is what makes it so awesome IMO

Looks like you've seen a ton of stuff, so recommendations might be a bit tough to get. Also, it's an older anime and I'm not sure how much you've enjoy it, but I found Legend of Lemnear to be rather good. I also highly recommend Gall Force (didn't see it on the list) OVAs, and the original Dirty Pair OVAs are pretty good
Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio in Romeo and Juliet, or Samurai Champaloo are good examples of what I consider Sengoku Basara strived towards. It just failed to reach the same highs (though I suspect I'd find Romeo and Juliet nauseating today). TL;DR: I forgot to add it to my list.

I've never been able to finish Dirty Pair (the original series). Not sure why.

I've meant to watch the Gall Force OVAs, but never got around to it. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Never heard of Legend of Lemnear. At only 45 minutes, it seems a little short, but I also like old stuff, so maybe.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:15   Link #31
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Based on your enjoyment of Bokurano you should definitely check out Narutaru

Based on your enjoyment of Excel Saga you should check out Ninja Nonsense

Based on your general enjoyment of sad things you should check out Chrono Crusade

EDIT

As for manga there are a ton I could recommend but I'll just start by saying that Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa: Of the Valley of the Wind is required reading for all manga fans.

Many, me included, would say this is the greatest manga ever drawn.