AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-23, 11:46   Link #41
A Lamer
あほぉ&

I've been reading the Omanga/Hawks translation for a while now, and I was also disappointed with the first episode. Not only was the 3d rather unnecessary, as well as unimpressive, but the half a dozen NEW SCENES and material which had 0 relevence at all to the story.

Oh, and I was also disappointed gantz didnt speak leet, I guess I grew accustomed to the Omanga/Hawks crew translating it like that (unless it was actually like that, but I doubt they could do leet in kanji, and if they did it in english most japanese people would be even more confused by it)

"Dog

0 points

n0 5killz
+00 mvch t0nGv3 w4gg1ng
+00 mvch t41l w4gg1ng"
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 11:51   Link #42
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

there's of course no leet in kanji, gantz just speaks in a very humiliating way.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 15:55   Link #43
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdie
I haven't read the manga but I really didn't like this as an anime. What the hell with the awful timing in that train scene. It looked like they we're trying to get killed on purpose, why didn't they climb out in the first place. He was already halfway. This really was terrible. Not to mention the schoolgilr with the brown face??????? and the yakuza guy trying to you know what. What the heel was that all about. Arggggh, kicking it off my hard drive. Oh and Gonzo aren't getting any better that's for sure. Did they fire the last exile team or what. ?????!!
IMO in the manga it looked like they easily could have climbed up as well.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 16:46   Link #44
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdie
I haven't read the manga but I really didn't like this as an anime. What the hell with the awful timing in that train scene. It looked like they we're trying to get killed on purpose, why didn't they climb out in the first place. He was already halfway. This really was terrible. Not to mention the schoolgilr with the brown face??????? and the yakuza guy trying to you know what. What the heel was that all about. Arggggh, kicking it off my hard drive. Oh and Gonzo aren't getting any better that's for sure. Did they fire the last exile team or what. ?????!!
In gantz there are losers, cowards, heros, stupid people, sluts etc etc. It isn't a feel good anime if that is what you were hoping for. The lead character is a horny teenager who doesn't give a shit about anyone but you can understand that in a world where drunk idiots fall onto train tracks and yakuza are ready to kill if you intefere with them. The main theme in the manga is facing your fears and living though them. As the anime evolves you'll realize not everyone can do it
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 17:50   Link #45
FlyByNite

first episode reminds me of the Canadian low-budget movie "Cube" where random people found themselves in this place which resembled rooms in a cube.

Just from the whole randomness of those selected.

Although I guess a plot arc will kick in and explain why they were selected.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 17:55   Link #46
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I just finished watching the first episode and it left me pretty interesting (though from the sound of how episode 2 goes, it'll be short-lived). I thought how it showed everyone's thoughts was pretty original, but they stopped doing it for some reason after they went into "the room". I was somewhat disappointed that they stopped using that element that made the first half of the episode so interesting.

I also want to say that that was the worst anime intro I've seen since Dear Boys.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 21:12   Link #47
Spooky-Electric

As a fan of the manga I've very dissapointed in the anime version. It just seems like a mess. Oh well..
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 22:08   Link #48
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
As a fan of the manga I've very dissapointed in the anime version. It just seems like a mess. Oh well..
Well there is a DVD version, hopefully someone will sub it. But in the end I still prefer the manga. There's nothing like the original. My excitement has gone down after watching ep 2. Its all about that damn DVD version. Maybe its just me, but I cant picture GANTZ being licensed.
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 22:25   Link #49
LinChoiSin

i've just seen the first episode and i really like it ,it gave me the desire to read the manga .I really like dark animes and there aren't much anime of this kind so i'm very pleased with Gantz so far.
LinChoiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 06:48   Link #50
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave
Well there is a DVD version, hopefully someone will sub it. But in the end I still prefer the manga. There's nothing like the original. My excitement has gone down after watching ep 2. Its all about that damn DVD version. Maybe its just me, but I cant picture GANTZ being licensed.
Hmmm...sex and violence...the chances of it being licensed are quite high IMO.

I just watched episode 1. There were some very obvious edits for TV, like:

- I'm sure you were supposed to see the picture that girl took of their flying heads at the train station
- The girl's nudity.
- The girl's organs and stuff when she's teleported into the room.

Most of those scenes were covered up by blantantly pasting still shots over them. Other than the edits it was good though. Can't wait for the Japanese DVD release.
Old 2004-04-24, 12:22   Link #51
The Xenos

Yeah, I got the wrong CRC one when I first got ep one from [AonE] off Direct Connect (someone had a fast as hell connection and happened to have it), it started kinda odd. I then read the manga and noticed an entire first section left out. Then I got the right one off Anime Suki and it seems that one off DC was te second ep.

the right ep 1 was labeled (and now on anime suki as) [AonE]_GANTZ_-_01_[1E004619]
what looked to be ep 2 was labeled [AonE]_GANTZ_-_01_[41446AFE]

Anyway, I like the story. Gonzo's doing an OK job. I'm not a big fan of the CG. Some areas it works OK, some it doesn't.

As for the manga and story itself, I like it. I like messed up ones. A number of mangas I like are translated by groups like Omanga and Hawks and they get some of the more messed up ones like Freesia and Berserk (which I am buying as they come out too). So I expected such a messed up story.

Yeah, there's some fanservice in it, but not bad or goofy. The chaperleads are pinups of teh main girl, but again not bad compared to others I'm sure. Plus someone said there was "animal sex" but it was really jsut a dog sniffing the crotch. Also the gore I find intereesting, at least the teleport gore since I find anatomy interesting and it's like a cat scan or something. Heck the most diturbing thing to me was that (spoiler?) she cut her wrists.

Also, one thing I really liked about the anime was the music. I want the OST as soon as I can find it.

-Xenos
The Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 12:30   Link #52
The Xenos

Oh and I second the hope for them to uncensor it for DVD.

And also wanna say an interesting note that the manga had CG rendered backgrounds, but at least those blended well. I couldn't even tell until a 'making of' segment in back of Vol 1. The Gonzo ones go from tolerable to jsut crappy and sticking out like a sore thumb. This is especially noticeable in the running scenes like on the tracks.

-Xenos
The Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 14:21   Link #53
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Hmmm...sex and violence...the chances of it being licensed are quite high IMO.

I just watched episode 1. There were some very obvious edits for TV, like:

- I'm sure you were supposed to see the picture that girl took of their flying heads at the train station
- The girl's nudity.
- The girl's organs and stuff when she's teleported into the room.

Most of those scenes were covered up by blantantly pasting still shots over them. Other than the edits it was good though. Can't wait for the Japanese DVD release.
Have u read vol. 1-11 (Manga)? I'll just say it's not pretty. (I dont want to spoil) Yes there's sex, violence and also death plus MORE! Some scenes are pretty dramatic/shocking! I'll just say its too HARDCORE for it to be licensed!

I could be wrong since maybe GANTZ TV will not be quite like the manga. I only watched episode 2 so far and I think its pretty close to the manga, but minus the cut scenes. I really want to see the damn DVD version just to compare though. >_<
darkwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:31   Link #54
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Have u read vol. 1-11 (Manga)? I'll just say it's not pretty. (I dont want to spoil) Yes there's sex, violence and also death plus MORE! Some scenes are pretty dramatic/shocking! I'll just say its too HARDCORE for it to be licensed!

I could be wrong since maybe GANTZ TV will not be quite like the manga. I only watched episode 2 so far and I think its pretty close to the manga, but minus the cut scenes. I really want to see the damn DVD version just to compare though. >_<
Part of me thinks that Gantz is indeed too hardcore to ever be licensed, or at least be licensed anytime soon, however another part of me looks at Berserk and see's that it's licensed and that can get pretty brutal too. That has extreme violence, sex, homosexuality, pedophilia, rape, you name it.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:42   Link #55
ShikaShika
無罪

Haven't read the manga but I really liked ep 1. Too bad about the cuts/dvd versions, but I guess I'll continue watching it and hopefully someone subs the dvds as they come along.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 15:53   Link #56
Sethi
StormRider

Well i liked ep. 1, seems that this anime is pretty different from the others that are being released and i also like this kind of dark and more realistic themes, so the first episode got me interested, waiting for the others now to see in which direction will the anime go.
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 16:19   Link #57
Evan
天使我爱你

Damn!I've DL the 1st ep raw and almost everything was censored!
I think I'll stick with the manga....
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 17:01   Link #58
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

yeah, I think this is getting too hard of a rap- I JUST started reading the manga last night after watching the first episodes. Yes, there are glaring differences, but I think they managed to account well for things they couldn't show on tv. They covered around 3 chapters of the manga, which is pretty good progress. Just thinking about what they'll have to cover in ep. 2 (haven't seen the raw), I can understand why a lot would have to be censored. I actually PREFER the nudity to be censored atleast.

I think it is interesting how they are shifting things around to account for narrative difficulties
Spoiler:
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 17:13   Link #59
A Lamer
あほぉ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Spoiler:
I still dont get why they didnt include that. It was hilarious, and much better than the filler crap they added with him in class.
A Lamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-24, 18:18   Link #60
a_nevels666

Quote:

Yes, I've read the Gantz manga.

But look at some of the other things that have been licensed like the Berserk manga. That's easily as violent as the Gantz manga. Just because it's licensed doesn't mean it will be aired on TV, it would almost certainly only be released on DVD.

Tags
science fiction, seinen