AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-11, 07:53   Link #8921
Grey

Naze's spit-take made the chapter for me. And...she gave up because she didn't want the bite to leave a mark? Didn't feel like just stabbing him in the face? That's pretty funny.

Wait...can Zenkichi turn his devil style off or something? Winning from that bite seems a little too convenient.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 08:07   Link #8922
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

This was me last week: "Oh look, Zen's gonna fight...wonder how fucked up he'll be by the end of it."
And this week: "Yeeeeeep...all cut up..."

Anyway, really enjoyed this chapter.
Zenkichi actually looks good with black hair (still prefer his usual colour but this is good too)
Zenkichi developing Alter God mode...interesting. Most interesting was (as we knew already from the spoilers) that Shiranui's Big Eater had a hand in it. Since we don't know what BE can actually do, we can assume that she either traded Parasite Seeing for Alter God Mode or actually helped developing it from scratch. Considering the other Shiranui is capable of actually creating skills it can go either way.
I find it funny how Zenkichi keeps saying he's the weakest, yet it was stated a couple of times that he'd be the only person capable of matching Medaka in a physical fight xD

As for our lovely Crazy Undead Sword Dere Girl...or CUSDG...I REALLY love her now.
Her sword style is actually pretty original and cool "What only two hands!? Screw it *stab*" makes perfect sense!!!
Her Deredere mode...I was expecting her to say the "Stop or it'll leave a scar" because of Zenkichi's wounds as some spoilers pointed to...but it was still lovely to see her Deredere face!
It saddnes me that she's not only the weakest but was previously defeated by the Jokers...though it considering the rules and how she was perfectly fine, it might not have been in a fight.

What else...
Loved Naze's face after CUSDG's dere moment.
I really liked that little MedakaxZen flashback, gave me a smile.
However...my ZenxHarem support seems to be growing stronger every day.

Overall...loved the chapter (though I did ruin it a bit with my hunger for spoilers...oh well)
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 08:15   Link #8923
DawnEmperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
I don't really think he's being at all serious when he refers to himself as 'the weakest' in the council. Similar to how Medaka used to say that she can't do anything without friends, or how Kumagawa calls himself the weakest person in the world.
Well, as good a fighter as he is, Zenkichi's main strength hasn't really been fighting so much as negotiating(bar his earliest encounters with Kanoya and Hyuga) and befriending. He's pretty good as a leader, and considering the spectacular abilities seen in the series, having him fight probably isn't as efficient.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 08:56   Link #8924
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

*chuckles*

I find it interesting that Medaka trusts Zenkichi to cut her hair... Maybe all of those Gardening classes with his mom come in handy for that? Interesting tidbit he threw in there with Medaka and Zen.
Old 2012-05-11, 10:10   Link #8925
MD84

Wow that was kind of graphic. Zenkichi being cut to pieces, an opponent who stabs swords into herself, and a victory through biting a person's collarbone? Yeesh.
MD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 10:28   Link #8926
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Oh and...after she stabbed her arms up...was anyone else get a Monty Python flashback?
"Tis but a scratch! I've had worst! Just a flesh wound!"
Old 2012-05-11, 10:31   Link #8927
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamont View Post
Clearly, I'm not going to convince you that it was very much possible any more than you're going to convince me it was impossible. Like I said from the very start, once you get into the realm of could haves and maybes... And since I already said I will shut up now and let you guys enjoy your fan service, I will. Still, it's been...entertaining to hear your ardent defense of your beloved Zenkichi. Thanks, Tenchi.
I think your bias is showing, to be honest.

You're surprised she chose to live instead of dieing? And you're ignoring she must've been in the most intense pain of her life because she was struck with a blunt blade? Blunt sword pain, as in her weakness? Given she felt not pain to anything else?

You feel underwhelmed from someone exploiting the enemies weakness to win? Especially when Zenkichi is weaker than said enemy? And because he can actually die given Devil Style?

That's just stupid.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 10:45   Link #8928
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
I think your bias is showing, to be honest.

You're surprised she chose to live instead of dieing? And you're ignoring she must've been in the most intense pain of her life because she was struck with a blunt blade? Blunt sword pain, as in her weakness? Given she felt not pain to anything else?

You feel underwhelmed from someone exploiting the enemies weakness to win? Especially when Zenkichi is weaker than said enemy? And because he can actually die given Devil Style?

That's just stupid.
Everyone has their way of viewing things Wolfy, just let it go ^^
No point in wasting time with discussions based on personal opinions.
Old 2012-05-11, 10:54   Link #8929
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Clearly, I'm not going to convince you that it was very much possible any more than you're going to convince me it was impossible. Like I said from the very start, once you get into the realm of could haves and maybes... And since I already said I will shut up now and let you guys enjoy your fan service, I will. Still, it's been...entertaining to hear your ardent defense of your beloved Zenkichi. Thanks, Tenchi.
Lol I could give a shit if it was physically possible or not, if it was easily done and a blatant plot hole I'd be the first to call it out as such regardless of the character. I tend not to defend that sort of crap even with characters I enjoy, but aiming a sword to cut someone on your left shoulder with the sword in the left hand while being unable to see said person is not an easy feat to especially if you mess up you either end up killing yourself or missing your target and they end up killing you.

I'm talking about these logistics which you for some stupid reason have ignored because of my supposed character bias when their really isn't any in this sort of situation as I could honestly not give a fuck.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 11:08   Link #8930
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Everyone has their way of viewing things Wolfy, just let it go ^^
No point in wasting time with discussions based on personal opinions.
I guess so. Apologies for derailing the thread.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 17:52   Link #8931
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Lol I could give a shit if it was physically possible or not, if it was easily done and a blatant plot hole I'd be the first to call it out as such regardless of the character. I tend not to defend that sort of crap even with characters I enjoy, but aiming a sword to cut someone on your left shoulder with the sword in the left hand while being unable to see said person is not an easy feat to especially if you mess up you either end up killing yourself or missing your target and they end up killing you.

I'm talking about these logistics which you for some stupid reason have ignored because of my supposed character bias when their really isn't any in this sort of situation as I could honestly not give a fuck.
Hmmm...really? Ok fine. At this point I really don't actually care any more whether the battle was underwhelming or not. Let's just pretend that I think it was a beautiful victory, the best thing since sliced bread, a heroic triumph, the inevitable result of careful planning and maneuvering...whatever you want to label it and just discuss these "logistics" of yours.

Ok, I'll pretend that she did not just willingly stab herself with 6 swords. I'll even pretend that two of those swords were not stabbed through her wrists where major arteries are located. I'll ignore all these so called "shonen crap" that you mentioned. Yep, Medaka Box is real life. In this situation, Zenkichi's bite is the only thing that matters. It was not just pain and fear of scarring, her life was really in danger. Right.

With that out of the way...He's clamping down hard on her collarbone. To do the kind of fatal damage you mentioned, he'll have to keep clamping down. In other words, his head is not moving. And you're saying that it's impossible for her, a master swordsman to stab a stationary object the size of her head located roughly over her right shoulder?

Ok, so to elaborate...say you have a stationary object located over your right shoulder. Say...place a melon at the crook of your neck and shoulder. Maybe apply some pressure by tilting you head a little to keep it in place. That should be an approximate match of the position Zenkichi's head was in. So you're trying to tell me that it's absolutely impossible for you to just hold a knife in either hand an stab it through the melon? Or, in a simpler example, just glue a balloon to your right shoulder. It's just not humanly possible to pop the balloon yourself with a sharp pointy object, right?

Is that what you're trying to tell me? Help me out here, because I'm starting to feel that there's been a serious miscommunication of some kind.

A simple yes or no would be sufficient. Whatever your reply, this will be my last post on the matter. I really don't wish to pursue this topic any further.
telamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 18:25   Link #8932
telamont

On another note, the dere moment of CUSDG (mind if I borrow the term Randrak? ) totally made the chapter for me. So unexpected, lol.

But what does it mean though? Just showing that she has a soft side or has Zen's vampiric charm awoken some latent S&M tendencies in CUSDG and turned the girl into the Bella to Zen's Edward Cullen?

If it's the later, then who cares really how ugly or unsightly the battle was. It's all good. Harem member acquired. One down, six to go.

The thought of Zen single mindedly chasing after an oblivious Medaka while 9 crazy, unstable girls chase after him is just so hilariously awesome. Ah, the sheer potential for chaos...I'll be cheering for that development with all my heart.

Last edited by telamont; 2012-05-11 at 18:38.
Old 2012-05-11, 18:39   Link #8933
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe Devil Style is gone whether Ajimu or Shiranui took it. It completely erases coincidence so meeting "the weakest one first" isn't supposed to happen. Even worse is that we are likely to see the other suitors come up in ascending order as well. The thing completely erased the plot of a person he never even met before when she came to their school so something like this isn't supposed to happen. Granted I'm fine with that, he wanted it specifically to beat Medaka anyway. Zenkichi progressing as a character is a good thing and moving past some of his earlier flaws is welcomed in my book.

Really curious about what is going on with Medaka in the North Pole. That and which of the suitors will be up next.
Old 2012-05-11, 19:23   Link #8934
Sol Falling

Quote:
Hmmm...really? Ok fine. At this point I really don't actually care any more whether the battle was underwhelming or not. Let's just pretend that I think it was a beautiful victory, the best thing since sliced bread, a heroic triumph, the inevitable result of careful planning and maneuvering...whatever you want to label it and just discuss these "logistics" of yours.

Ok, I'll pretend that she did not just willingly stab herself with 6 swords. I'll even pretend that two of those swords were not stabbed through her wrists where major arteries are located. I'll ignore all these so called "shonen crap" that you mentioned. Yep, Medaka Box is real life. In this situation, Zenkichi's bite is the only thing that matters. It was not just pain and fear of scarring, her life was really in danger. Right.

With that out of the way...He's clamping down hard on her collarbone. To do the kind of fatal damage you mentioned, he'll have to keep clamping down. In other words, his head is not moving. And you're saying that it's impossible for her, a master swordsman to stab a stationary object the size of her head located roughly over her right shoulder?

Ok, so to elaborate...say you have a stationary object located over your right shoulder. Say...place a melon at the crook of your neck and shoulder. Maybe apply some pressure by tilting you head a little to keep it in place. That should be an approximate match of the position Zenkichi's head was in. So you're trying to tell me that it's absolutely impossible for you to just hold a knife in either hand an stab it through the melon? Or, in a simpler example, just glue a balloon to your right shoulder. It's just not humanly possible to pop the balloon yourself with a sharp pointy object, right?

Is that what you're trying to tell me? Help me out here, because I'm starting to feel that there's been a serious miscommunication of some kind.

A simple yes or no would be sufficient. Whatever your reply, this will be my last post on the matter. I really don't wish to pursue this topic any further.
As far as Zenkichi's victory, as other's have said I figure it's just down to Namanie's weakpoint (she's unable to take pain/doesn't want scars). I don't think there's any real suggestion that Zenkichi's attack would've been lethal.

As far as whether there was anything Namanie could've done to retaliate if she hadn't been incapacitated by the pain of Zenkichi biting her, both of you guys seem to have forgotten about Namanie's six other swords. With them sticking out of her arms like that, it would've been easy for her to make any kind of attack at something behind her. The surprise/reveal however was that hey, Namanie's still a weak/fragile girl after all, so she was unable to take the prolonged agony of somebody biting her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe Devil Style is gone whether Ajimu or Shiranui took it. It completely erases coincidence so meeting "the weakest one first" isn't supposed to happen. Even worse is that we are likely to see the other suitors come up in ascending order as well. The thing completely erased the plot of a person he never even met before when she came to their school so something like this isn't supposed to happen. Granted I'm fine with that, he wanted it specifically to beat Medaka anyway. Zenkichi progressing as a character is a good thing and moving past some of his earlier flaws is welcomed in my book.

Really curious about what is going on with Medaka in the North Pole. That and which of the suitors will be up next.
I'm not willing to make any assumptions about Devil Style yet. The thing is that Namanie being "weakest" is still reasonably viable given that this isn't a tournament (at least from Zenkichi's perspective). The actual competition is going on between Medaka's Jokers and the rest of the Suitor group; Namanie, whom Zenkichi just fought, was just the leftovers. In the scheme of the final outcome, the question of "who/whether Medaka will marry" is still more in the hands of Medaka's group than Zenkichi's pursuers.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 19:51   Link #8935
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As far as Zenkichi's victory, as other's have said I figure it's just down to Namanie's weakpoint (she's unable to take pain/doesn't want scars). I don't think there's any real suggestion that Zenkichi's attack would've been lethal.

As far as whether there was anything Namanie could've done to retaliate if she hadn't been incapacitated by the pain of Zenkichi biting her, both of you guys seem to have forgotten about Namanie's six other swords. With them sticking out of her arms like that, it would've been easy for her to make any kind of attack at something behind her. The surprise/reveal however was that hey, Namanie's still a weak/fragile girl after all, so she was unable to take the prolonged agony of somebody biting her.
Thank you. Somewhere along the way, I think I got side tracked, but I believe we agree on the basic points actually.

1. Nanamie basically gave up because she disliked pain, and scarring.

2. If she had the will, getting out of that situation was definitely possible.

Add to that the fact that Zenkichi jumped her from behind and won by biting, it was not the prettiest victory. Of course, it's over and done with. Harem member acquired (maybe) . So it's all good I guess.

Really, that was all I was saying. Then along comes Tenchi with his assertions that Nanamie would have died had she not given up. And that escape was impossible. Had me really scratching my head there. Where exactly was that suggested in the chapter again?

Well, it is Tenchi though. He and and kentjr always manage to keep things...interesting in these forums. I should not have gotten into a debate with the guy in the first place.
Old 2012-05-11, 19:55   Link #8936
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post

I'm not willing to make any assumptions about Devil Style yet. The thing is that Namanie being "weakest" is still reasonably viable given that this isn't a tournament (at least from Zenkichi's perspective). The actual competition is going on between Medaka's Jokers and the rest of the Suitor group; Namanie, whom Zenkichi just fought, was just the leftovers. In the scheme of the final outcome, the question of "who/whether Medaka will marry" is still more in the hands of Medaka's group than Zenkichi's pursuers.
Zenkichi's battle with Namanie has coincidences too(the last blades he was able to use just so happen to be what she had no tolerance against) which can also double for "when all is lost you won't come up with a strategy to turn the tables" bit by using his teeth as blades.

I do agree with you about the actual competition being between Medaka's Joker and the remaining suitors though. How long it stays that way remains to be seen but for another fight or two I expect a similar path.
Old 2012-05-11, 19:58   Link #8937
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Thank you. Somewhere along the way, I think I got side tracked, but I believe we agree on the basic points actually.

1. Nanamie basically gave up because she disliked pain, and scarring.

2. If she had the will, getting out of that situation was definitely possible.

Add to that the fact that Zenkichi jumped her from behind and won by biting, it was not the prettiest victory. Of course, it's over and done with. Harem member acquired (maybe) . So it's all good I guess.

Really, that was all I was saying. Then along comes Tenchi with his assertions that Nanamie would have died had she not given up. And that escape was impossible. Had me really scratching my head there. Where exactly was that suggested in the chapter again?

Well, it is Tenchi though. He and and kentjr always manage to keep things...interesting in these forums.
Your not exactly the most subtle with your insults are you?

However I think this fight is good in a Zen like way. Zen always wins through the skin of his teeth and by taking advantage of a opponents weakness. It's not really a bad fight.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 20:27   Link #8938
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Your not exactly the most subtle with your insults are you?

However I think this fight is good in a Zen like way. Zen always wins through the skin of his teeth and by taking advantage of a opponents weakness. It's not really a bad fight.
Hey, I think it's fine as long as I keep it fairly civilized and don't resort to outright cursing or name calling or randomly flinging around words like "stupid" or "moronic". If you take subtlety to the point where no one even notices it, then why even bother?

Still, you're right though. In light of Zen's usual fare, it's not really a bad fight. The problem was with my expectations. After his training with Ajimu, his showing up like a boss with a...heh, "harem" (damn you, Randrak ) and his performance the previous chapter, my expectations were a bit too high.

But hey, that 's part of the fun, right? If I did not have such high expectations and then got disappointed, I certainly wouldn't have been able to have this discussion.
Old 2012-05-11, 20:38   Link #8939
novalysis

I really wonder whether some of the suitors had their attitudes and their minds subtly altered for the duration of the Wedding feast. To make them more ruthless, more agressive, more hostile, etc.

If that's the case, that might partly also explain how Zenkichi won. He successfully over-rid whatever compulsions turned Nienami into an usually homicidal maniac.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 20:50   Link #8940
yuzen003

Real world fact but human bite wounds that puncture the skin can lead to infections, scarring and damage to tendons and joints. Human mouths have a lot of bacteria so their bites are more prone to infection than animal bites. Since Zenkichi did draw blood that bite in all likelihood should leave a permanant scar.
yuzen003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council