AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-27, 08:40   Link #121
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
no...just the one thing that living macronised not practical:P
Old 2009-01-27, 08:50   Link #122
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Macronization

Given his supposed zent blood (if one goes by the ears), I would give him better odds of success then a pure human like Max.
Old 2009-01-27, 08:51   Link #123
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
no...just the one thing that living macronised not practical:P
True, though it all depends if the zent on island 3 planned to remain macronized when they reached their colony world.
Old 2009-01-27, 08:52   Link #124
Westlo
Lets be reality

IIRC he wasn't zent... I'm sure someone can fill in the proper race.
Old 2009-01-27, 08:53   Link #125
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

You sure? I thought the pointed ears was the canon-clue of zent blood, from M7 onward.
Old 2009-01-27, 16:15   Link #126
magnuskn

I heard he is half Zolan. Which means he should be able to macronize.

As for the practicability of him living this way... the people of Macross Frontier sure didnīt mind the macronized Zentraedi, right? Well, except some bigots, maybe....
Old 2009-01-27, 16:43   Link #127
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

I think not only the Zentraedi able to macronise...just the humans can't find it a good thing...or something like that...
Imagine: You become a 15m high giant...and you must llive in a colosal sized house(with shocking price)...i think it's not convient...
Old 2009-01-27, 16:54   Link #128
magnuskn

Quote:
I think not only the Zentraedi able to macronise...just the humans can't find it a good thing...or something like that...
Imagine: You become a 15m high giant...and you must llive in a colosal sized house(with shocking price)...i think it's not convient...
Well, unless they micronized for the evening, a good number of Zentraedi chose to live that way, and have children that way.
Old 2009-01-27, 17:29   Link #129
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Now let's start a discussion from the "other side": Until then almost always we discussed about the male characters because they're the "slowpokes" in the story and the girls are always in love with them already when they decides.
Now let's discuss the main triangle from the female character's viewpoint: more specificaLY: when they start to have feelings for Alto(i mean Sheryl and Ranka) and when they fallen in love with him?
Old 2009-01-27, 22:04   Link #130
magnuskn

Quote:
Now let's start a discussion from the "other side": Until then almost always we discussed about the male characters because they're the "slowpokes" in the story and the girls are always in love with them already when they decides.
Now let's discuss the main triangle from the female character's viewpoint: more specificaLY: when they start to have feelings for Alto(i mean Sheryl and Ranka) and when they fallen in love with him?
Hmmm.... a good question. Iīve evaluated quite a lot when it was that Alto did begin to be in love with Sheryl ( Iīd say episode 12, when she, being completely feverish, still tries her damned best to give him his present... the shocked look he has at that moment, followed by a very tender expression while looking at the almost comatose Sheryl, is priceless. And beautiful. ). But I had not tried yes to exactly identify that moment from the girls perspective.

Iīll put one category more forward, which is "interest".

Sheryl began to show real interest in Alto as soon as episode five. Her leisure day off with him turned out to be a gateway for her to notice how Alto was a decent guy, and not only because he did not treat her like a celebrity idol.

She started having feelings for him during their chat in episode six, which was the first time they really began to bond. You can notice that she was very worried for him during the concert in episodes six and seven. After those she went back to her playful routine of teasing him and trying to keep him around her, but her worry over him is easy to see during that concert.

The moment she honestly admitted to herself that she loved Alto was after he and Ranka flew off after episode twelve and she was left standing in the Zentraedi basis, still very ill, forlornly looking at the sky. In the episodes which follow, you can notice how her thoughts are, from that point on, very focused on Alto and how signs that Alto cares so much about Ranka take her aback. Although she misinterpreted Altos concern for Rankas safety to be something more intimate.

As for Ranka, her interest in Alto began with episode two, after he saved her from the Vajra.

She began to exhibit overt feelings for him as soon as the end of episode five or the beginning of six, although those didnīt really blossom into something coherent until episode ten, after Sheryl kissed Alto.

And, although that may sound glib, I donīt think that those feelings coalesced into something you really can call love, because, IMO, they stayed at the level of a deep crush. She never really got to know Alto the way that Sheryl did and, never having really loved someone romantically before, made him selfishly the center of her universe... which is why so much bad things happened when that crush came ( no pun intended ) crushing down on her.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2009-01-28 at 05:47.
Old 2009-01-27, 22:18   Link #131
cerrian

Quote:

Interestingly, Ranka's feelings for Alto developed off-screen. We are never really shown the events that lead up to her having romantic feelings for hime. Prior to the Star Date episode, the closest thing we have to confirmation that Ranka has romantic feelings for hime is during the Miss Macross show when she stumbles after recognizing that hime is not in the audience watching her like he said he was when he mailed her.

With Sheryl, it's the complete opposite. We are told in no uncertain terms that Sheryl develops feelings for Alto during the date and final confirmation of this is the kiss on the cheek she gives at the end of the episode. Oddly enough, it is this very same scene that confirms that Ranka has romantic feelings for Alto as well. Unlike Sheryl though, we are not shown the events where Ranka develops her feelings. That occurs off-screen sometime between the point when Ranka and hime have their converstion on the hilltop in ep 3 to the point where Ranka displays shock at Sheryl's kiss in Star Date.

While Ranka's feelings appear to have developed over a significant period of time, Sheryl's romantic feelings pretty much came about during that single day of their date.
Old 2009-01-28, 05:20   Link #132
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
While Ranka's feelings appear to have developed over a significant period of time, Sheryl's romantic feelings pretty much came about during that single day of their date.
As you can see in my last post, I disagree. Real feelings began for Sheryl, IMO, during their heart to heart in episode six.
Old 2009-01-28, 05:25   Link #133
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

I didn't take the little kiss Sheryl gave to Alto in the date episode seriously. I was still convinced Sheryl was just playing around and acting on a whim. Though in that same particular scene, at where Alto cups his cheek and watches Sheryl off with a rather sweet expression, IMO, it signaled Alto's genuine interest in her.

I agree with magnuskn that Sheryl's real feelings sparked in episode 6 when she saw how Alto went to the trouble of delivering her earring and sharing a heart to heart talk.
Old 2009-01-28, 05:51   Link #134
magnuskn

Yeah, I had to modify my first post on this subject to correct that I thought that Alto began to be in love with Sheryl in episode 12.

I also think that he became genuinely attracted to her in episode five, although Iīd put the point of that during the whole episode, where Sheryl turns out to be such a more interesting and complex person than what heīd seen before.

His first interest definitely starts in episode one, during the concert.
Old 2009-01-28, 06:34   Link #135
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Or even earlier...remember how he stared the poster in his hands...
I think Sheryl is got interested in him at ep 5.(tought he would be good to take time while she is in Frontier), From episode 6 he become someone who important to her(a good friend?), then in ep 8 she decided to have some fun with her "boyfriend candidate" and i think at ep 10 she's been in love with him or close to it...no matter how good friends they are a kiss in a japanese anime a kiss even for teasing. And yeah at ep 12 it's quite obvious now(but i don't think that alto been in love with her...or i am a bit unsure...maybe he's already before or he's just attracted to her at that time, if the truth is the later then he may in love with her beetween ep 12-16, because i think he don't say something like that to anone other than the who he loves at ep 16[he was dead worried about Sheryl])

Ranka is another matter:
Her attraction from ep 1-2 when "she saved second time by him"(the first was when he "showed the way for her" to the concert). I from that time she had some kind of crush on him. Then i think she not moved even an inch from that state for a long time. We just see the classical schoolgirl crush sample. She wants to know more about him and acts shy with him and...you know so don't start to describe it eny longer. Then she develops feelings of a deeper crush after ep 10(she have determination at least and growing wantdom of having Alto...don't misunderstood it:P). It's not a love, because it's overly selfish...even when her best friend blasted with a shel she didn't care so much.

Funny note:I think Sheryl and Alto somewhat tsundere :P. They are both denying their feelings and acting cold.
Old 2009-01-28, 07:20   Link #136
gentlewater

don't you think that the more solid proof is when alto crawled back to the mansion to see sheryl? alto in episode 12 wasn't in love with her he didn't even bothered paying attention to sheryl while they were in the plane because he was so amazed by the whole experienced about flying in the real sky.

Last edited by gentlewater; 2009-01-28 at 07:22. Reason: forgotten
Old 2009-01-28, 07:32   Link #137
magnuskn

Quote:
Funny note:I think Sheryl and Alto somewhat tsundere :P. They are both denying their feelings and acting cold.
Thatīs pretty much one of the main things which brought early positive attention to a possible Sheryl X Alto pairing. They play well off each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlewater View Post
don't you think that the more solid proof is when alto crawled back to the mansion to see sheryl? alto in episode 12 wasn't in love with her he didn't even bothered paying attention to sheryl while they were in the plane because he was so amazed by the whole experienced about flying in the real sky.
Actually, his first instinct was to stay by Sheryls side. He had to be guilted by Michael into considering Rankas feelings to fly off with her. Re-watch the end of episode 12, youīll see the scene where that happens.
Old 2009-01-28, 07:35   Link #138
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Ah yeah, I remember that scene. If I remember correctly Michel told Alto not to worry as he'd be the one to look after Sheryl and he told Alto to consider Ranka's feelings as she flew over to Galia for his sake.
Old 2009-01-28, 07:39   Link #139
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Actually, I remember it that way, as well. If not for Michael's comments, he would have probably stayed by Sheryl.

As for the discussion at hand, I'd have to side with Magnus and guess Alto started to show signs of affection towards Sheryl at this point. No clue about Ranka, as I seriously can't see him caring for her out of love and not the deeply ingrained sense of responsibility towards her well-being.

Now, regarding Sheryl, she definitely started to feel very conscious of Alto on their Star Date. Maybe she was still behaving like a coquettish girl then, but there was definitely a blooming kind of feeling, as well. The kiss might have been a game, but it didn't play out like that - episode six just solidified everything for her.

As for Ranka, I'd wager her feelings started to arouse as soon as episode one - the "so pretty" comment comes to mind (no need to get aroused, you Yaoi fangirls, you) - but greatly solidified at the end of episode two.

Old 2009-01-28, 07:56   Link #140
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'll say Sheryl's feelings manifested in episode 5, became more focused in 6 and were pretty much complete in episode 7 with her on stage break down... what was her words.. I might never see him again or something like that?

Ranka had a crush for most of early Frontier but they grew stronger throughout, seeing Sheryl's kisses of Alto in 5 and 10 just made them stronger to the point she flew to Galia IV to save him. (who cares about her "friend" sheryl and other hostages lol)

Quote:
They got pegged as a tsundere relationship pretty early, it gave them great chemistry XD I do wish some of the Ranka fans who wrote essays would realize that Alto's tsundere when they discuss him and Sheryl....
Closed Thread