AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-10-28, 14:25   Link #281
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Rage is crappy on PC.
The developers themselves admitted that it was a mistake optimizing it for consoles and then port it to PC.

Deus EX and Borderlands run very good on PC. It is easy to identify a port by the amount of graphics options avaiable , this is not always true however.
Drive San Francisco is another PC port, since they even needed to patch it for more display resolutions.
And then, there are AWESOME ports like Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5, and HORRIBLE ports like Devil May Cry 3 and Onimsha 3. In DMC3 you cant even customize your freaking controller and the graphics are ps2-like... while in Dmc4, even a 8600GT can make it look like a Nex-gen game since it's surprisingly light and runs in absolutely any system. Same for RE5.

And these were meant for consoles.

Edit@TJR

Now, we joined at same date, both of our nicknames start with "T", and we just posted at same time... !!!!!
Old 2011-10-28, 14:39   Link #282
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Rage is crappy on PC.
The developers themselves admitted that it was a mistake optimizing it for consoles and then port it to PC.
They've made all kinds of excuses. While it's true that designing a game around the PC would result in a more impressive product, the console port methodology hasn't stopped other developers from producing excellent PC iterations (even if they aren't as fantastic looking as they might potentially be).

It boils down to the program design and the love they put into the port. With RAGE, id made an engine that sounds interesting on paper but is poor in practice. Clearly, they didn't give a damn about the PC version (seemingly tossed out with minimum work and quality assurance) either given all the compatibility issues.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 16:51   Link #283
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
The cpu dedines the system potential and no matter how strong your gpu might be it will be only as strong as your cpu.
That's not entirely true. The whole point of the GPU is to take load off of the CPU, which wasn't designed for graphics processing. The stronger your GPU, the more that can be offloaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
ps360 games these days run at sub and up to 720p with some sort of AA. Furthermore most of them are locked at 30fps. Except for Ridge racer 7, no other retail game has ever reached 1080p@60fps, and that was a launch title. All the other games that claims to be running at 1080p are using tricks like 1280x1080p, see gt5, or are just upscaling. So in a way the HD revolution in console gaming, this gen, is/was a marketing Bullcr@p.
720p is still HD, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
The funny thing is, if it wasn't for the stupid marketing gimmicks, all games in existence should be available on the PC. The only reason for buying consoles is because they get exclusive tittles.
Don't be so arrogant. The game console has its place as a device that was designed for video games, is cheaper to buy, is relevant for a longer time and needs no configuration or installation of any kind (though in recent times some games have been asking for hard drive installations...). Just pop in the game medium and play.
Old 2011-10-28, 17:29   Link #284
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That's not entirely true. The whole point of the GPU is to take load off of the CPU, which wasn't designed for graphics processing. The stronger your GPU, the more that can be offloaded.
Which proves his point;

Your PC will be as strong as your weakest component.
Old 2011-10-28, 18:03   Link #285
Sides

Quote:
720p is still HD, though.
Sure 720p is HD, but most games on the consoles didn't render at that resolution. For example on the ps3 Space Marines was something like 1152x640; El Shaddai 1152x576; Crisis 2 1024x720; Resistance 3 960x704; Dark Souls 1024x720; those CoD games were all sub 720p and Rage dynamically changes from 640x720 to 1280x720. So personally I think that is a scam to market a system being HD, only because it upscales the video output to HD specs.
And I kind of doubt that Skyrim will be render at 720p on the current consoles.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 02:45   Link #286
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh, i didnr intend to derail the thread into a hardware channel but it has been useful. This is just one of those gamea that lure one into hardware upgrades. Up to now my trusty 9600gt has been fine for *most* of the games I play. But Ihave upgraded everything else in the last year and now the card is the laggard in the ayatem. It will continue to serve well in my "anime" box hooked to my tv or in the guest box in the guest room.
Your 9600GT is 44% as powerful as the GTX 260 in the recommended requirements, so yeah, an upgrade is probably in order. And as an Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim should have enough gameplay to make it worthwhile too.

Quote:
When I bought New Vegas for PS3, I instantly returned it. I just couldnt stand:
-Slow loading times
-720p, below average graphics. Probably medium/low settings equivalent to its PC counterpart.
-30 Fps and constant slowdowns.
-Bad controls, you just cant aim that good with an analog stick.
Surprised to hear its that far behind the PC version, I would have guessed a mainstream GPU like Urzu 7's HD5750 to be about 2.5-3X the power of a PS3 GPU (rough calculation, made by looking at comparative performance of 7800gtx/7900gtx, 7900gtx/8800gtx, 8800gtx/5770 and then 5770/5750 because no one directly compares the 7800gtx (which is similar to the PS3 unit) to the 5750 directly) and that the much lower render resolution would make a lot of it up. The extra memory probably makes a huge difference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
It boils down to the program design and the love they put into the port. With RAGE, id made an engine that sounds interesting on paper but is poor in practice. Clearly, they didn't give a damn about the PC version (seemingly tossed out with minimum work and quality assurance) either given all the compatibility issues.
ID Tech 5 is really designed for low latency hardware with little memory - so yes, consoles, but I get the impression the tech would have been more impressive a few years back when PCs didn't tend to have as much graphics RAM and such too. They didn't ship a title based on it nearly fast enough though, likely because taking advantage of IDTech 5's unique features requires investing tons and tons of man-hours in the creation of art assets forthe game.

But yeah, even more than the poor engine design the state of the PC version bugged me. The number of tweaks release within a couple of days suggest that isome of the games' issues on the PC would have been trivial to fix, yet they didn't bother. Shame, since it seems to have turned an awful lot of PC gamers off a game that from what I read is actually one of the better recent FPSes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Sure 720p is HD, but most games on the consoles didn't render at that resolution. For example on the ps3 Space Marines was something like 1152x640; El Shaddai 1152x576; Crisis 2 1024x720; Resistance 3 960x704; Dark Souls 1024x720; those CoD games were all sub 720p and Rage dynamically changes from 640x720 to 1280x720. So personally I think that is a scam to market a system being HD, only because it upscales the video output to HD specs.
And I kind of doubt that Skyrim will be render at 720p on the current consoles.
You can find the render resolutions for a lot of PS3 and 360 games here:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Yes, many don't even use full 720P.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 10:59   Link #287
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Which proves his point;

Your PC will be as strong as your weakest component.
It only proves his point if you read the entire post wrong. A better GPU will make your PC stronger even if the CPU isn't changed because it can process more faster.
Old 2011-10-29, 11:24   Link #288
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Can we take this PC talk into a diffrent topic please?
Old 2011-10-29, 11:40   Link #289
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
It only proves his point if you read the entire post wrong. A better GPU will make your PC stronger even if the CPU isn't changed because it can process more faster.

So, if you had a 570GTX and a E6600@4ghz and needed more perfomance...

Would you get another GTX 570 or 580GTX, or a 2500K/2600K? Remember, the upgrade cost will *almost* be the same(at least around here).
Old 2011-10-30, 09:39   Link #290
Knight Hawk
Lurker

SPOILERS Ahead! INTRO. Xbox version.

Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm1bwa
alt: http://www.megavideo.com/?d=7H0SP6V0
Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm1cv1
alt: http://www.megavideo.com/?d=0VQ0HX2D

Last edited by Knight Hawk; 2011-10-30 at 18:32.
Knight Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 12:59   Link #291
Aqua Knight

Well, that looks wonderful. I wonder how will it look on low/semi-med quality on PC?
Old 2011-10-30, 13:15   Link #292
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Spoiler for tiny spoilers at start:

Spoiler for Dejavu:
Old 2011-10-30, 16:34   Link #293
Aqua Knight

I am happy I got to watch the video before it got removed,yeah
Old 2011-10-30, 20:27   Link #294
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
I am happy I got to watch the video before it got removed,yeah
Lol me too, I was able to catch it just before I went to sleep

The one thing that's slightly disappointing for me is the lack of good facial preset choices... I'm guessing most of the Human races have the same looks so I'll have to experiment on my own... Also, is that a setting for body build? I thought I saw something like that but I can't be sure...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 21:03   Link #295
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I read that he rushed the character to get in the game and record the video, thats why he didnt change the race and anything.
Old 2011-10-31, 05:50   Link #296
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol me too, I was able to catch it just before I went to sleep

The one thing that's slightly disappointing for me is the lack of good facial preset choices... I'm guessing most of the Human races have the same looks so I'll have to experiment on my own... Also, is that a setting for body build? I thought I saw something like that but I can't be sure...
Half the fun is spending 5 hours making your character, only to realize it looks terrible in game and then spending another 5 hours to 'fix' it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 05:58   Link #297
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Why would you care how your character looks like when the game is viewed in first person? Hell, even if you viewed it in third person you can hardly see any of the features your character has, other than the armor and your hair.
Old 2011-10-31, 06:08   Link #298
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Why would you care how your character looks like when the game is viewed in first person? Hell, even if you viewed it in third person you can hardly see any of the features your character has, other than the armor and your hair.
Vanity camera.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:56   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Why do you think I play mages and wear hats instead of helmets?
Old 2011-10-31, 17:22   Link #300
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Why do you think I play mages and wear hats instead of helmets?
Helmets are hot, stuffy, smelly and a breeding ground for diseases since nobody washes anything
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim