AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Eclipse - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 2 4.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 9.76%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 53.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 24.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 7.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-04, 16:28   Link #21
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Well this episode was quite interesting despite it not being a combat one. We get to see a fair bit of Yuuya's character. Cui is still being a bitch but she does seem to be providing a catalyst for Yui to get her act together.
indeed. The episode itself was pleasing to watch. Seeing the character bond more and grow closer to one another before another chaos erupts without warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is getting a bit tiring to have Cui dragged left and right as a mere plot device for the "romance" aspect of the show, where she hardly had any role past this, and definitely had so little interactions with the whole cast that make her position, claims and all quite... impertinent to say the least. At least her behaviour wasn't as exaggerated as last week, but took a turn of the ridiculously intrusive now.

It was sort of interesting to have few tidbits about Yuuya, although the series is really having hard time to keep focus with what they want to do: it is baffling at this point of a 2cour series to have segmented arcs thrown in such fashion with hardly any good continuity, along with a genre identity crisis still underway (at this point, it looks quite too similarly to soapy high school romance, than really the "daily lives of test pilots for mecha that are the last salvation for mankind" thing).

And for some reason, the quality even managed to drop far more than usual: Vincent and Cryska sure had numerous facial distortions here and there, and Yuuya was quite often in a weird "perpective", making his "layer" cell obviously superposed on the rest.

That's true. Yifei has been overly familiar and meddling. Considering what she said in the episode, maybe she also faced similar problems and experience that Yuuya did like identity crisis or racial discrimination, thus thinks she understand him the most and feels the need to seek a more closer relationship. Her aggressive nature does intensifies her overall approach which isn't exactly good in some cases.

Well, I think its doing fine in actually connecting the events from the previous episodes. Some scenes are raised again to fortify the issue at hand. Its rather slow paced, but within acceptable range. More background story is always good in my book and shows the other concerns of the characters other than the battle with the BETA. Then again, these 26 episodes may just be the first half of TE so its rather too soon to say such things. The lack of scenes with the TSF that they're supposed to be testing is rather disappointing though. Last salvation for mankind? Are we talking about TE here? Hmmm, when was that mentioned?

I definitely agree. The constant changes to the quality of the animation is horrid, but I think last week's was even worse. Its just a matter of getting used to it which isn't exactly easy.

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-11-04 at 20:17.
Old 2012-11-04, 16:39   Link #22
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I thought the episode was pretty good. We finally get a chance to see a bit of Yuuya's past.

It's very common for someone growing up in his environment to have a chip on his shoulder and act like that just to prove something as person and not as an abomination to people's eyes.

Racism plays a big part in his life and it shows the extreme someone would do to get to the top just to silence the critics for recognition, respect, and acceptance from others. Overachieving is the only way to go for him.

On a side note, I did find it pretty interesting that Captain Sven looked a whole lot like Goose. Even the whole court sequence was right off of Top Gun.

Yuuya ends up spilling his back story to Cryska which ends up putting her up a few levels higher than the rest of the ladies. The animation was better than the last episode so less derp faces. I'm not expecting Production I.G. quality.

By the way, Cryska just opened the Yuuya Route.

He even said that he was comfortable talking to her too. Sandek has great plans for Bridges.

Probably to plan out a special date event for the twins or just Cryska while working on blocking any hindrances from other countries that interfere during the "research and development" stage.

The hammer has been dropped for Yui and now she remembers all those times she was trashing Yuuya right after Cui pointed out the concept of relationship building. I can't wait to see how Yui retaliates after this.

We can add Natalie to Yuuya's harem. Dinner it is! I'll have some milk with that shake. < (old school pickup line FTW!)
Old 2012-11-04, 16:47   Link #23
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Dat graphics in bar-scene >.<
Old 2012-11-04, 16:48   Link #24
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
He even said that he was comfortable talking to her too. Sandek has great plans for Bridges.
like having him babysit more "silver" haired russians since he's a useful catalyst? That doesn't sound so bad.
Old 2012-11-04, 17:39   Link #25
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I like the detail that they actually put on a few scenes like when Leon was running with his teammate and placing bandages his ears just to hide his piercings since you can't wear that inside the base when your on duty.
Old 2012-11-04, 17:47   Link #26
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
It really is quite bad that the best this show ever looked was passable and even then only if you set the bar for passable around circa 2001-2002 levels of animation consistency. I didn't think my opinion of Satelight could go much lower after some pretty tepid mecha series of late (mostly story-wise), but this shows definitely proven it's quite possible indeed. Were they really the only ones available to take this project or just the only ones willing or what? I just don't get how the show can look this bad when they were supposedly trying to jump start interest in animated versions of Muv-Luv VN's. Maybe somebody who browses 2ch has some sort of explanation cause I'm genuinely curious as to WTF happened.....
Old 2012-11-04, 17:57   Link #27
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I agree. Just imagine if Production I.G., XEBEC, or Ufotable got their hands on this. Sunrise too.
Old 2012-11-04, 17:59   Link #28
tsunade666

sigh...... its like watching a extra version turn into anime but worse extra is much bearable than this. The drama that is happening is not fun and even the animation is not fun but its so bad you can't help to laugh at it. Its a good show of romance setting with with mecha luv and lets pretend the world is in danger because the non-existent beta is around.

Its also funny when Cui is trying to rile up Yui and its also funny that Sanders is obviously trying to use Yuuya to rile up the sisters. Yuuya gone emo but the news of her mothers death is new to me. I haven't heard of it before which make me think its still alive and he is just a prodigal son that turn rebel but it looks like there is a stupid reason behind it and darn stupid carelessness that leads to the death of their captain. sigh..... and Sharon too being an ex of Yuuya but after he left he goes to Leon.... I don't have good opinion on that type of girl. I hate to say this but I hate those type.

And what's the difference of indifference and hate? from the opposite of Love? I don't understand that part.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:02   Link #29
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The difference is that Hatred still make you "recognize" the presence of the said subject of hatred, even if it is in a bad light.
Indifference is exactly as it implies: there is no recognition of the said person, which can lead to their existence being denied.

The impact of such difference is obviously extremely dependant of the context and the persons subjects to these, as it may plainly be the same in some case.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:15   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
sigh...... its like watching a extra version turn into anime but worse extra is much bearable than this. The drama that is happening is not fun and even the animation is not fun but its so bad you can't help to laugh at it. Its a good show of romance setting with with mecha luv and lets pretend the world is in danger because the non-existent beta is around.
Basically, I honestly don't mind the cast of this show other than Chobi because I can appreciate them in all their campy jingoistic and vaguely racist interactions. The mecha aspect of the plotline could use a lot of work, but honestly at this rate I'm hardly expecting great mecha action and politicking out of a TV mecha series anymore so I'm not terribly worried about that. Frankly though all that said I'm still surprised as anyone that I'm still watching this in spite of the budget (effort?) issues and shoddy storytelling and pacing. I guess it must really be a rare case of camp done right or something...I dunno....
Old 2012-11-04, 18:30   Link #31
Methuselah
Payback is a b*t#8, huh?

This episode was actually really important for character development.

I'm impressed that Cui saw Yui as a selfish woman who only interacts with people only when they are a convenience towards herself. Cui really nailed it: Yui only accepted Yuuya when he changed his ideals about Japan and her leadership - even though she was as reckless as he was about endangering others.

Yui didn't really acknowledge Yuuya for what he was. She still has that mentality like that during the Island Episode where she'll only be doing things as long as it accomplishes the mission. In many ways, she tried to change Yuuya so it'll be "better" for her as a person - her own insecurities.

Have to say: Cui and Cryska earned a lot of points this episode.

Not bad, but that damn Quality still sucks. Why can't they just release it every 2 weeks with better animations than this stuff..
Old 2012-11-04, 18:41   Link #32
tsunade666

character development wise might be good but it just comes out of nowhere if you ask me. Its like the writer decide that lets do some romance because it will look good then they add it and more mecha for the love of mecha fans. RAPTOR SO DARN COOL!!! We also need sad backstory because of an arrogant test pilot -_- okay lets mesh them up for the story.

Well at least Cryska is a good listener and Latrova? (forgot the spelling and her name) is still in Yuuya's memory. Tarisa being Tarisa is fun and even Vincent is good but the others just throws everything into tangent.
Old 2012-11-04, 18:52   Link #33
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

altered fable Sandek evil plan is coming true .... he plan to use Yuuya TSFphile to hostile take over a certain Plamoo company (Tokotobuki) by making every non russian TSF in limited edition ( imagine the raptors and A 10 costing 5 time more the rage !!!"

same can be said about Cui and Yui that Yui forcing Yuuya to change his TSFphile rather than accepting that it his personality and that what makes Yuuya as Yuuya

Inia ..... has just as planned look and smile
Old 2012-11-04, 18:52   Link #34
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Great Episode, and IMO a lot of things that needed to be brought up did....

First off, it was great to finally see why Leon was and still is hostile as a character, and I actually have more respect for him now. He TRIED to be a friend to Yuuya in the beginning, but lets be honest, Yuuya was kind of a dick. You could also tell that the LT. was a father figure for Leon, so it makes sense that he'd be so upset at Yuuya who was indirectly responsible for the death. Doesn't help Yuuya had a very smug remark when confronting him after the court case. This also put a hammer on all the folks who thought Sharon had a chance to join the harem. It's 100% clear now she is Leon's, and I don't see that changing from now til the end of the series. (Personally, I think Yuuya is better off without her anyway. Her character just isn't the right type for him.)

We get some Cryska time. I don't want the Yui fans to get all mad, but the truth is that Cryska is doing pretty damn good in the harem race, and might even topped Yui in this episode. While its true he does seem close to Yui, when a guy says he finds a girl who he finds the easiest to talk to, that's a pretty big deal. Like someone here mentioned though, the funny part is that BOTH of them don't realize they are pretty much clicking with each other on just about every level. Hell, at this point all it would take is one accidental fall on top of the other, them boom, make out session.

Cui pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as Yui's development. In order for Yui and Yuuya to work, they have to see their faults and try to change. Yuuya has spent the past 7-8 episodes doing that, and no longer the arrogant cocky bastard in episode 1. And because of that, a MUCH better person. Now it's Yui's turn. She was a nasty cookie in the beginning too trying to force her ways on others, and Cui called her up on it. I can guess that Yui will try to apologize after realizing she was wrong, and might even change her "Japanese way is the only way" attitude.

And finally, I spent the last 2 weeks thinking the Russians were gonna get in Yuuya's ass for messing aroung with Cryska and Inia, but it seems to be the very OPPOSITE. The general in fact seems to LIKE this progression, why? We don't know yet, but its safe to say he has become a in-universe Cryska shipper. Gonna be interesting to see where this goes...
Old 2012-11-04, 18:52   Link #35
dmaxzero

I have the feeling we wont see anything else of MuvLuv in TV media ever again. The quality is like they are not trying anymore. Honestly, it doesnt really bother me, I am enjoying it, even though some parts of the romance come for granted, without a proper reason to be in the place they are now. Of all the girls Cui is the only one that, in all the possible cliches for romantic heroines anime, seems more coherent with the progress of the story. I suppose the novel does illustrate better how thing reached this point. Sadly I cant read it.

All in all, I am waiting the next episode with enthusiasm.
Old 2012-11-04, 19:11   Link #36
Methuselah
Payback is a b*t#8, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
I have the feeling we wont see anything else of MuvLuv in TV media ever again. The quality is like they are not trying anymore. Honestly, it doesnt really bother me, I am enjoying it, even though some parts of the romance come for granted, without a proper reason to be in the place they are now. Of all the girls Cui is the only one that, in all the possible cliches for romantic heroines anime, seems more coherent with the progress of the story. I suppose the novel does illustrate better how thing reached this point. Sadly I cant read it.

All in all, I am waiting the next episode with enthusiasm.

Yeah, I believe after episode 25, there won't be anymore in production. This is kind of like the Legend of the Legendary Heroes. The English Dub is AMAZING, but it's been 2-3 years and there still haven't been a Season 3.

Old 2012-11-04, 19:15   Link #37
Shungin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Yuuya had a problem

and he chose Cryska to talk to

She's way ahead in the race, and she doesn't know it.

Yui and Cui are fighting for 2nd place, and they don't know it yet.
yea yui and cui fighting for the second place cryska already in there and doesn't know it lol
Old 2012-11-04, 19:31   Link #38
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It really is quite bad that the best this show ever looked was passable and even then only if you set the bar for passable around circa 2001-2002 levels of animation consistency. I didn't think my opinion of Satelight could go much lower after some pretty tepid mecha series of late (mostly story-wise), but this shows definitely proven it's quite possible indeed. Were they really the only ones available to take this project or just the only ones willing or what? I just don't get how the show can look this bad when they were supposedly trying to jump start interest in animated versions of Muv-Luv VN's. Maybe somebody who browses 2ch has some sort of explanation cause I'm genuinely curious as to WTF happened.....
The tl;dr version is that the original director blew most of the limited budget on the first two episodes. Satelight is doing their best, but unfortunately don't have the budget to make everything loook as nice as they want, so they're forced to do triage.

As for budget details etc, it may simply be that not enough sponsors could be found, resulting in this limited budget.

Generally though, I don't seem to have the same problems that other posters seem to have with the animation quality; I merely look at the offmodel, roll my eyes, and continue watching. *shrug*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-11-04, 19:40   Link #39
yankky5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is getting a bit tiring to have Cui dragged left and right as a mere plot device for the "romance" aspect of the show, where she hardly had any role past this, and definitely had so little interactions with the whole cast that make her position, claims and all quite... impertinent to say the least. At least her behaviour wasn't as exaggerated as last week, but took a turn of the ridiculously intrusive now.

It was sort of interesting to have few tidbits about Yuuya, although the series is really having hard time to keep focus with what they want to do: it is baffling at this point of a 2cour series to have segmented arcs thrown in such fashion with hardly any good continuity, along with a genre identity crisis still underway (at this point, it looks quite too similarly to soapy high school romance, than really the "daily lives of test pilots for mecha that are the last salvation for mankind" thing).

And for some reason, the quality even managed to drop far more than usual: Vincent and Cryska sure had numerous facial distortions here and there, and Yuuya was quite often in a weird "perpective", making his "layer" cell obviously superposed on the rest.
ouch! you basically hit all the minus points on this anime. Anyway no point in me complaining now that you said it though :/

Anyway it might be a misunderstanding but is sandek playing cupid?
also we all know whats gonna happen next week. it wont be a japanese anime if it didnt happen
Old 2012-11-04, 20:05   Link #40
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quick thoughts on my part after watching:

1) So it seems the Raptor was also in danger of being cancelled, eh? Interesting.

2) Totally Goose, albeit with a mustache.

3) 2nd time that those Couerl Express trucks have been seen. Something is definitely up. Law of conservation of detail.

4) Yuuya has matured, but Leon will never forgive him, and Yui needs to grow up on her part. Also Chinese Miku seems kinda shallow to me, but she has some good points.

5) Cryska in the lead in the harem race. Unless their ability to talk comfortably with each other leads her to become his Noble Confidant.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-04 at 21:08. Reason: Please do not link to the Muv-Luv Wiki in this thread, as it's full of Muv-Luv spoilers
Closed Thread