AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-11, 21:22   Link #161
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anyone else love the OP? I thought it was top-notch.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 22:19   Link #162
DaigoMadoka

While the first episode was interesting, the problem I have is because I do photography as a hobby, some of the stuff that Yorito did really didn't seem like someone who takes a lot of pictures would do, or at least things I wouldn't do. Since he takes a lot of pictures of the skies and clouds, I'd expected him taking pictures of the same section of sky with a 1 second+ waiting time, since clouds move and you can end up with tons of different patterns of clouds without even moving the camera.

Was a bit peeved at how he just LEFT his camera and tripod there in the beginning. Even if there was no one there at that time I just don't feel safe leaving equipment like that unattended. Part of me thought that Matsuri was going to steal Yorito's equipment while he was busy as a "serves you right for not paying attention" thing.

But since I didn't see anything close to a shutter in this episode (or it could be because I'm absent minded right now,) it really didn't matter, because character development is MUCH more important than being realistic. It was a good start though, but as with pretty much every anime that's romance based, I know that there may be a big chance I'll be upset at the official couple. But there's always fandom, bless them.

I know it's not an anime that's diving deep into photography, I just suppose I enjoy it enough to spot things that would be good for those who take pictures of the skies.
DaigoMadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 23:59   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm with sorrow-k in this aspect. I was lured in by the romance and mood setting. Action is not what I'm really looking for here so hopefullly that doesn't overshadow everything else (the ratio of action&violence in Karin was okay so I'm not saying it has to be Victorian wardroom drama ).

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-12 at 00:44.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:18   Link #164
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Anyone got a synopsis for this anime because ANN and Animnfo.com doesn't have any.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:31   Link #165
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Small things noted so far: (don't have the names memorized yet)
The girl he 'lives with' has a fish hairtie and situation has a "lamune" flavor to it. His sister seems to be a Yuki prototype ... um.. possibly is on her way to becoming like our mysterious girl in the church?

The children's rhyme seems to point to a 'race' or variant of people who can't tolerate the sun for some reason (the night people).

The OP is a short version of the tune on the audio drama CD ... if you like it, snip that.

The music scoring (or BGM) .. am liking the use of violin against the daily settings. That coupled with the very realistic town (someone already named the reference town I think) gives a sort of Kamichu-"firmly set in reality" feeling so I'm pretty sure we're going to get very strange with that firmly grounded setting.

Okay, thats my babbling for now .... wasn't real fond of the 'vampire hunter' transition there (obviously the writers want us to think she's a vampire but something tells me it isn't that simple).
Old 2007-04-12, 04:43   Link #166
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I was feeling worried about the future of the series until the last 100 seconds. Prior to that, the only interesting element was dressing Shinku in green, which is pretty cute.

I hope that the remainder changes focus from boring dialogues about clouds, toward Rozen Maiden-style action. But then, with a name like *cough* Sora, I'm not sure how likely that will be. The whole photography/sky thing so far seems like a "Let's give the male lead some random interest to which he is passionately dedicated" and could have been drawn out of a hat, like sewing doll clothing or collecting pewter unicorns. At least Jun doesn't talk about his sewing to everyone he sees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaigoMadoka View Post
character development is MUCH more important than being realistic. It was a good start though
It seems to me that the characters, with exception of mystery girl, are "developed". Hospitalized Rei-clone, precocious overpolite loli, utterly stereotypical childhood friend, and cut-and-paste eroge lead who has [defining attribute] = [cares about nothing so much as sky photography]. My fingers are crossed, but I don't really expect much more development from them...

Mystery girl, Shinku, and hunter-killer have a chance at being original or interesting.

Last edited by Saber Cherry; 2007-04-12 at 04:53.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 04:47   Link #167
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I was feeling worried about the future of the series until the last 100 seconds. Prior to that, the only interesting element was dressing Shinku in green, which is pretty cute.

I hope that the remainder changes focus from boring dialogues about clouds, toward Rozen Maiden-style action. But then, with a name like *cough* Sora, I'm not sure how likely that will be. The whole photography/sky thing so far seems like a "Let's give the male lead some random interest to which he is passionately dedicated" and could have been drawn out of a hat, like sewing doll clothing or collecting pewter unicorns. At least Jun doesn't talk about his sewing to everyone he sees.
Actually, if you will notice, there is a valid reason why they talk so much about the sky.

Matsuri is unable to see the blue sky for unknown reasons, so it only makes sense that she would be interested in a guy that has an obsession with taking photos of such material.

That wistful longing is part of her story.

Given the track record of the writer, nothing is going to be "insignificant". Every detail is going to be part of the bigger picture.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 06:47   Link #168
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ Aye, i am with Skane on this one. The whole "sky" thing seems to be an important part of the story. Look how matsuri "danced" while imagining all the types of sky (and shed a tear in the end) while Yorito was telling her about it.

It is not only a "random distinguishing feature" - the sky has a symbolic meaning here, and serves as a reason why Matsuri would take interest in him.

And i certainly hope it doesn't become Rozen-style action. In fact, i hope that action will be rarely seen here. Given the theme and the feeling of the show, i would much rather have "boring dialogues about clouds" than a session of vampire hunting.
Old 2007-04-12, 06:53   Link #169
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I think I'm going to like this series. Vexx and Sorrow-K often share the same tastes as mine.

Just to make sure, I'll watch the first ep in a few hours.

Last edited by physics223; 2007-04-12 at 08:12.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:14   Link #170
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
After every new series this spring, Sola was a breath of fresh air. I had the idea that it's going to be mostly going at a pleasantly slow pace. Nobuhiko Okamoto and Mamiko Noto put in solid voice acting, IMO.

One question (more of speculation, though):
Spoiler:

One more episode of interest and I'd be sold.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:31   Link #171
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Considering that we were given a glimpse into what should be considered Matsuri's past, her condition dates way back. I was wondering whether Aono's reason for staying in the hospital might have something to do with Matsuri's apparent adversion to light, due to her reaction with Yorito trying to draw open the curtains in her room.
I don't think the reasons for their aversion to light are the same. Perhaps Aono has some sort of illness, while Matsuri might as well have a supernatural reason.

I wonder if we are jumping the gun with the speculations about Aono though...maybe she simply didn't want to have the window open just because... given her personality i wouldn't find it strange that she simply didn't want to light the room. (Heck, i also prefer to have the curtains closed in my room for the most time, regardless of weather outside... though this has something to do with sunlight making anything hard to see on the PC screen )

Either way - i don't think their "problem" is the same.

Quote:
One more episode of interest and I'd be sold.
Lies! You are already sold

I agree with Sola being like a dose of fresh air this season... it is rather action packed, so a slower pace show would be very much welcomed.
Old 2007-04-12, 08:32   Link #172
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
The whole "sky" thing seems to be an important part of the story. Look how matsuri "danced" while imagining all the types of sky (and shed a tear in the end) while Yorito was telling her about it.
Well, if Matsuri is what i think she is, she's not able to go out in sunlight --- so it goes perfectly with how much of a Sky Otaku Yorito is. Also, i wouldn't mind knowing whats wrong with his Sister in the hospital.
Old 2007-04-12, 08:36   Link #173
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Well, if Matsuri is what i think she is, she's not able to go out in sunlight --- so it goes perfectly with how much of a Sky Otaku Yorito is. Also, i wouldn't mind knowing whats wrong with his Sister in the hospital.
I am willing to bet she is not what you think she is ...seems too obvious ...i think it is only something the writers want us to believe. Though the fact that she is unable to see the sky herself walk outside while it's bright) is pretty much a given. So yea - it goes perfectly well with our sky-otaku

So...what are the bets that Yorito will "take her in" the next episode ? I think it is quite likely... and she definitely won't be able to stay in the church ...his house should be empty considering that his sister is in the hospital, and i am betting that his parents are not there for one reason or another. (basing this on the fact that he was about to eat supper at Mana's place).
Old 2007-04-12, 08:37   Link #174
Skane
Anime Snark

So nobody else supports my theory that it is Mayuko in the cave and not Matsuri?

Old 2007-04-12, 08:39   Link #175
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I am willing to bet she is not what you think she is ...seems too obvious ...i think it is only something the writers want us to believe. Though the fact that she is unable to see the sky herself walk outside while it's bright) is pretty much a given. So yea - it goes perfectly well with our sky-otaku
Yeah, i do see were you're coming from --- and i am hoping she's not what i'm thinking, but you also have the hunter who used 'bright-light' to his advantage.

Anyway, such a pretty show. I need more.
Old 2007-04-12, 08:47   Link #176
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Either way - i don't think their "problem" is the same.
Maybe both have an inherent fear of the light, though it should be true that the origins of their 'fear' are probably different.

Quote:
Lies! You are already sold
I simply think that not putting too much hopes on it meeting any sort of expectation from me would be wiser-Just as it is when I first saw my favorite anime shows for the first time.

It's kinda interesting how Matsuri got the same photo Yorito took, though.

@Skane: Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who this Mayuko is.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:48   Link #177
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah, i do see were you're coming from --- and i am hoping she's not what i'm thinking, but you also have the hunter who used 'bright-light' to his advantage.

Anyway, such a pretty show. I need more.
Well, she, obviously, needs to avoid light for one reason or another. But i don't think that the hunter is a vampire hunter per se...

Assuming that it was her we saw in the cave during the flashback... perhaps she "lived" in that village... and since she is not the only one like this (reference to the people of the night), we can assume there are more... and perhaps they are not permitted to leave the village (Think some medieval-minded retards who have concluded that these people are teh ewil and can not be allowed to exist outside that village/cave.)

Perhaps she wanted to see the world for once, so she ran away... so maybe the hunter is some zealot who chases her because the village sages said so

So... how far in the left field did i land with this one ? (I'd say pretty far )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
So nobody else supports my theory that it is Mayuko in the cave and not Matsuri
Who is Mayuko ? Unless i missed something
Old 2007-04-12, 08:50   Link #178
Susanou
.Enforcer

Now this is interesting. First episode really got my attention, can't wait for the next one *hyper mode* Of course, there's a lot of stuff to discuss about--most remarkable why Matsuri can't stand light seemingly but stuff about that is already said above. I wonder who the bladeguy at the end is but I guess we'll have to wait to figure that out
Susanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:57   Link #179
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
~ @Skane: Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who this Mayuko is.
Quote:
~ Who is Mayuko ? Unless i missed something
Mayuko is the name of the "Rozen-Loli". I got it from the audio-drama prologue.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 09:18   Link #180
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Ah, i see. Hm...it is a possibility, but why then is she out now? Because she agreed to work with the hunter? Hm... but it did seem almost like she was ordering the guy around And she didn't participate in the battle... what is her purpose of being here then? Hm...

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural