AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 27 34.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 29.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 20.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 11.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-06, 17:54   Link #41
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msyunie View Post
wonder why Aono her face is strange at the end if she hears matsuri her name/ other girl in house

Like it was said before 16 yo boy + girl in house alone = ecchi.

Wouldn't you be surprised/shocked too that your brother turned your house into a love hotel while you were in the hospital?

*thinks to herself* That's why I didn't get a present today. Gee, didn't he look a little too happy visiting today. I'm being replaced by Matsuri. Noooooooo! Something like that.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-06, 17:58   Link #42
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ matsuri is smart on this one...she specifically said "no ecchi" on the first meeting XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msyunie View Post
wonder why Aono her face is strange at the end if she hears matsuri her name/ other girl in house
ive mentioned this before but this could be a special skill that aono has ~ perhaps she can sense that yorito is in danger and therefore is putting on a painful face >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-06, 19:44   Link #43
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow the first half was breathtaking. Probably showcased the biggest strength of the show for me which is the character interaction...Just lovely.

The second half was more meh to me (hence the 9 rating lol). I guess im just extremely against watching a creature as cute in voice and appearance as matsuri hunted down like some kindof monster. Plus the one part in yorito's room when she had fell down had the most incredibly out of place music...Really messed up the tension for me thats for sure.

But the last bit with aono sure made me look forward to next episode.
Old 2007-05-06, 19:49   Link #44
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areguzanda View Post
don't know what people have against the music in this episode.
I thought especially the music in this episode was good.

(XviD and h246. Version of subs out from LunarAnime)
just following the previous advertisment
I definitely like the music in the series, especially the piano pieces. It was interesting to hear two different paces of music in this episode. The first half was slow and then second half was fast pace.
Old 2007-05-06, 22:25   Link #45
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Lunar Subs are out... I thought this was kinda funny.
Spoiler:

I can't decided how to score this episode. I kinda like it, but there are some technical reasons to mark it down. The artwork does seem problematic, and it's inconsistent: Matsuri stepping into the boat was nice, but them walking on the hill was rough. And the music at the end is annoying.

What this part of the story makes me think of is a musical technique of foreshadowing. (I think there's a specific term musicians use, but I haven't been able to recall it.) In one movement the composer will briefly insert the theme for the next movement, then return to the first theme to finish out. The end of the episode is not the beginning of the intense part of the story, there's still too many things to work through before we can get there. What's Takeshi's backstory? How will Aono react to Matsuri? Will Mana start feeling stronger for Yorito with Matsuri threatening to take him away for her?

This episode is the hook that will hang us in suspense until the climax.
I can describe the technique, itself. It is usually transposing from a Major key to its parallel minor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_key). A good example is Alfredo's song 'Un di, felice, eterea,' from the ACT I in Verdi's La Traviata, when transposition occurs in the line 'Misterioso'. If this isn't what you mean, perhaps you mean leitmotifs: musical themes associated with specific characters, locales, or plot elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Wow the first half was breathtaking. Probably showcased the biggest strength of the show for me which is the character interaction...Just lovely.

The second half was more meh to me (hence the 9 rating lol). I guess im just extremely against watching a creature as cute in voice and appearance as matsuri hunted down like some kindof monster. Plus the one part in yorito's room when she had fell down had the most incredibly out of place music...Really messed up the tension for me thats for sure.

But the last bit with aono sure made me look forward to next episode.
I agree about the poor choice of music here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
I definitely like the music in the series, especially the piano pieces. It was interesting to hear two different paces of music in this episode. The first half was slow and then second half was fast pace.
The piano pieces reminded me of 'ARIA' which is fitting as there was a girl rowing a boat.
Old 2007-05-07, 01:27   Link #46
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Disappointed with this ep, particularly the second half. The action sequence was underwhelming, and I couldn't feel any tension in a sequence that just should have been full of it. I blame a few things (one of which that it's too early for any of the major characters to die, so DEM was inevitably going to save the day), but music was the worst offender. Some of the choice of music during that scene was terrible.

The rest of the episode wasn't great either. There's still too many question marks surrounding the characters, which is probably fair enough, since they'll inevitably be answered, but a bit more information to date would have been more than welcome. However, I think the atmosphere is far too light much of the time for something that has an imminent threat of conflict, and I still have problems with the over-simplicity of a lot of the personalities. Matsuri in particular.

Speaking of Matsuri... holy crap, that ponytail is the most moe thing I've seen this year, I think. I really did almost die when I saw that. If Saimoe really was voted on most moe character and wasn't just a popularity contest, Matsuri would have it in the bag. Nonetheless, she's not putting many steps wrong as far as making a case for that title is concern.

Anyway, so far I'm still not compelled by this series. I'm worried that it's not establishing a solid enough base to set itself up for some enthralling drama down the road. It needs to make a better case for us to care for the characters now, or else when the story finally does step up a gear, it's going to all feel like melodrama.
Old 2007-05-07, 01:51   Link #47
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Disappointed with this ep, particularly the second half. The action sequence was underwhelming, and I couldn't feel any tension in a sequence that just should have been full of it. I blame a few things (one of which that it's too early for any of the major characters to die, so DEM was inevitably going to save the day), but music was the worst offender. Some of the choice of music during that scene was terrible.

The rest of the episode wasn't great either. There's still too many question marks surrounding the characters, which is probably fair enough, since they'll inevitably be answered, but a bit more information to date would have been more than welcome. However, I think the atmosphere is far too light much of the time for something that has an imminent threat of conflict, and I still have problems with the over-simplicity of a lot of the personalities. Matsuri in particular.

Speaking of Matsuri... holy crap, that ponytail is the most moe thing I've seen this year, I think. I really did almost die when I saw that. If Saimoe really was voted on most moe character and wasn't just a popularity contest, Matsuri would have it in the bag. Nonetheless, she's not putting many steps wrong as far as making a case for that title is concern.

Anyway, so far I'm still not compelled by this series. I'm worried that it's not establishing a solid enough base to set itself up for some enthralling drama down the road. It needs to make a better case for us to care for the characters now, or else when the story finally does step up a gear, it's going to all feel like melodrama.
I guess it all comes down to the personal taste.
for my part I love Sola.
the characters, the scenery, the story, the music and the mood.

Old 2007-05-07, 02:30   Link #48
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ive mentioned this before but this could be a special skill that aono has ~ perhaps she can sense that yorito is in danger and therefore is putting on a painful face >.<
Somehow i really doubt this Besides, at that point Yorito was no longer in danger. I am 90% certain she simply has an onii-chan complex (ignoring the fact that Yorito is the younger sibling >.<)
Old 2007-05-07, 02:54   Link #49
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Somehow i really doubt this Besides, at that point Yorito was no longer in danger. I am 90% certain she simply has an onii-chan complex (ignoring the fact that Yorito is the younger sibling >.<)
Spoiler:

By the way it is a bit weird that there is no dedicated thread for manga discussion in this forum, especially since the serialization in Dengeki Daioh has begun long ago.
Old 2007-05-07, 04:09   Link #50
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
By the way it is a bit weird that there is no dedicated thread for manga discussion in this forum, especially since the serialization in Dengeki Daioh has begun long ago.
I've replied here since on this thread it would be off topic.

I gave 10 to this episode, loved it on each individual part. I guess it really goes to personal preferences.

The following are some of my speculations (take them with 1,5 Kg of salt):

Spoiler:

The date scene was amazing and heartwarming. Matsuri is one of the most moe and most delightful creatures ever created for any anime. I'm totally blown away by every little detail of her. And while I was a big fan of Mamiko Noto's Yakumo, I believe her voicing for Matsuri is completely overwhelming the former, at least as far as my ears are concerned.

And whatever the ending of this show will be, I do want a spin-off of this series with Matsuri and Yorito solely!! (Lamune style). I mean, those two together are just utterly romantic and marvellous

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-05-07 at 06:05.
Old 2007-05-07, 04:15   Link #51
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
The date scene was amazing and heartwarming. Matsuri is one of the most moe and most delightful creatures ever created for any anime. I'm totally blown away by every little detail of her. And while I was a big fan of Mamiko Noto's Yakumo, I believe her voicing for Matsuri is completely overwhelming the former, at least as far as my ears are concerned.

And whatever the ending of this show will be, I do want a spin-off of this series with Matsuri and Yorito solely!! (Lamune style). I mean, those two together are just utterly romantic and marvellous
My thoughts exactly!

Old 2007-05-07, 05:17   Link #52
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
you mean otouto complex (dam i cant fool anyone >.<)

Quote:
Some of the choice of music during that scene was terrible.
you mean during the fight scene? well watching the ep again with the subs i cant think why the BGM was bad during that scene...to me it did great in creating a chaotic and sinister mood in which matsuri is literally hunted down like some animal (quite fitting for a metaphor)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-07, 06:02   Link #53
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-07, 06:07   Link #54
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
The following are some of my speculations (take them with 1,5 Kg of salt):

Spoiler:

I've got you on the first three points. It was what I was thinking at that time, for apparently if Takeshi simply wanted revenge, he would have tried to hunt Matsuri down immediately in episode 1 instead of talking to Yorito. Would it be that they will show more of Takeshi's past later on, so that we can get the picture completely. He doesn't seem that bad of a guy, but rather the past moulded his intentions into what they were today.

Of course, informing Yorito about Matsuri's nature can be done in accordance to either one of your speculations about Takeshi's and Mayuko's real intentions for finding Matsuri. But the way I see it there seems to be something deeper than just vengeance. Perhaps she herself is the cure? Perhaps her existence alone makes it impossible for Mayuko to live as a normal person (or that since the body we see her in is temporary before she dies)? Perhaps....

Well, whatever the case, apparently Mana and Aono will probably be dragged into this affair one way or another. That's when she statement will start to haunt him, I guess.
Old 2007-05-07, 07:38   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well... after much spoiler temptations, got my hands on the subs...

review of the week :
  • Blood noise made me shiver... in a bad way (i was actually wondering if it was really blood)
  • The first part was welcomed. similar to episode 4, but with matsuri and yurito, improving their bound. like Telliamed said, the character design wasn't really consistent
  • PONYTAIL
  • I think i will be beaten to death, but Takeshi looked extremely cool and appealing to me ^^. i wasn't really fond of his "evilish" laughter though (not a bad performance, but it was ruining the "cool" image i had of him XD). So far, he is nicely portrayed as a "baddy" only on Matsuri/Yurito POV, but looks really struggling for the sake of Mayuko (can't wait for more backstory about them )
  • Koyori-chan scene is well executed to me (however, i really think the proportions of Matsuri and Koyori, when we see them on a larger plan twice, is COMPLETELY out of the whack. were they saving budget for the next "action" part or what?)
  • Aono sewing a doll... and it isn't the first one. i'm wondering if it has any special meaning for her.
  • Action sequence, the Good : the pace was pretty neat. I pretty much liked how they inserted Yurito scenes, giving contrast between his carefree situation, with matsuri's lifethreatening run.
  • Action sequence, the Bad : the music. while the 2 tracks used at the start were average, fitting somewhat the scene, the second one mutated into "something" extremely horrible (17:40, when takeshi hurls several darts). The track used when matsuri was outside was bad as well (some violins are really too much), and it turned completely worse when takeshi makes his steps towards her. (19:32)
  • Action sequence, the Ugly : the scene when matsuri enters into seed mode. Basically, it is hardly believable that Takeshi could be overpowered by Matsuri like this (even if she got some big strength, i could hardly believe takeshi, struggling without using his left hand, or feet -___- ). Not really any fanboyism here (i prefer matsuri ), but the scene is completely unreal, despite Matsuri's sudden insanity.
  • Aono's reaction is really interesting... is she shocked because she hears a girl's name, or because she knows matsuri? (as i could determine with her surprise and shock, it appears it is the later)
I must admit, the flaws listed above weren't really spotted at first, me getting completely hooked by the execution (especially after the slow ep4).
however, it is hardly possible for me to give a 10 for this ep, considering the amount of unconsistent design, and the musics. (i can hardly believe it is the same composer of ep1...)
thus, the score 9 isn't really solid, but i guess i'm a bit biased... (one word to say : PONY )

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-05-07 at 08:01.
Old 2007-05-07, 08:57   Link #56
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Just watched the Lunar fansub of Sola 05.....

The Pros:

1)
Spoiler for visual representation:

2) VERY good character development on the part of Takeshi. As much as I detest him when he started getting on Matsuri's case again, I can't find it within myself to hate him entirely. It's almost like he's as much a victim of circumstances as Matsuri was....

3) Especially liked the date scene. Unfortunately, I liked it so much, it became a victim of its own success...I'll expound on this in the Cons.

4) On the other hand, I like the Takeshi-Mayuko exchanges almost as much as I like the Yorito-Matsuri exchanges. They're very well-developed characters, that's for sure, not your usual two-bit villain cardboard cutouts.

5) Nice switching of the scenes of Takeshi hunting Matsuri, with those of Yorito waiting idly for the next tram. A fairly standard technique for building up the tension, but hey, it works, yes?

The Cons:

1) The end-game of the Takeshi-Matsuri action scenes. The music sounds like something out of an early, pre-FFVII RPG game; NOT suitable for a 2007 anime. The music for the slice-of-life portions were done well, but if they keep up with this sort of stuff for the action scenes, that's a big cut out of the BGM portion of my Final Critique of Sola, for me.

2) I mentioned the date scene being a con as well as a pro, didn't I? Well, here's why; too bleedin' little of it before we're back to the action stuff. Maybe I just got used to the relaxed pace Kanon 2006 took with its development of relationship between characters, but I really would have given this kind of development the whole episode, instead of just half of it.

3) Matsuri hugging Koyori-chan on the stairs. The proportions just don't look right, no matter how I look at it.....the latter just seems too small.

4) CAUGHT: Animation Error from 09:41-09:42 of the Lunar sub!!! And it's very simple; if Matsuri is standing on the boat, how come she's static while the boat is bobbing up and down on the waves of the lake?!

Nomad is no KyoAni, that's for sure. For one thing, the latter would not have been anywhere near this lazy. Yes, I said lazy. I hardly think this is an oversight as much as it is just the animators not giving a damn.

5) The inconsistency of the Episode 5 action scenes, contrasted with that of Episode 2 & 3. Am I supposed to believe that the light darts lose like 80% of their potency in daytime?! Because it certainly seems that way since Matsuri takes a shitload of light this time around, while she can barely tolerate the power of one dart in Episode 3! And what's the deal with Takeshi freezing once Matsuri grabs his wrist?!

All in all, I'm forced to do this; give one rating for the first half, and another for the second half.

First half: 9/10
Second half: 5/10

Taking the average, it's a 7/10. And I'm someone who tends to give high scores; therefore, a 7/10 indicates some serious problems here.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2007-05-07 at 10:14.
Old 2007-05-07, 09:02   Link #57
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Action sequence, the Ugly : the scene when matsuri enters into seed mode. Basically, it is hardly believable that Takeshi could be overpowered by Matsuri like this (even if she got some big strength, i could hardly believe takeshi, struggling without using his left hand, or feet -___- ). Not really any fanboyism here (i prefer matsuri ), but the scene is completely unreal, despite Matsuri's sudden insanity.

Regarding the yaga v human fight, Matsuri in SEED mode has clearly used much more than brute force when she was trying to inflict harm to Takeshi. After all, the non-SEED Matsuri in ep 2 could turn a two-storey-high metal frame into scrap metal in a matter of seconds, so no one can tell what it is exactly like to be at the receving side of her SEED power outburst.

Perhaps in this fight she was actually draining the the life and energy of Takeshi in a very short time, while making his hand decay at the same time. I think if Matsuri hadn't been mericiful, Takeshi could turn into a pile of ash in 30 seconds . Your complaint is a bit mean to Takeshi and disrespectful to Matsuri.
Old 2007-05-07, 09:33   Link #58
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Perhaps in this fight she was actually draining the the life and energy of Takeshi in a very short time, while making his hand decay at the same time. I think if Matsuri hadn't been mericiful, Takeshi could turn into a pile of ash in 30 seconds . Your complaint is a bit mean to Takeshi and disrespectful to Matsuri.
well, actually, i thought she was draining Takeshi as well.
however, considering how takeshi "collapsed" when Matsuri released his wrist doesn't really confirm the drain thesis.

As far as i can observe the scene again, takeshi was only restrained around his wrist. he wasn't paralized by a plausible "death glare" or something. (i guess the "seed mode" are just a trait showing her mental change)

but even if we speculate that matsuri used a spell which restrain Takeshi, the way how he is struggling, without moving his FREE left arm and both legs is completely silly.

heh, my complaint is merely targeted to Nomad
Old 2007-05-07, 09:53   Link #59
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

I can see where you are coming from. But I still think Takeshi had his power drained away and got paralyzed. As seen from the previous episodes, Matsuri doesn't use her eyes but her hands to use her power. As soon as she got her hand off his arm, the paralyzing effect would have already end, but the physical damage on his arm would still last.

But yea, Nomad should be blamed for not letting Matsuri to lose a piece of flesh or two . Being exposed under such a bright sunlight and with the "ash" flying out of her body for so long, there should at least be some visible damage/decay on her body . Still, a Biohazard-zombie-esque Matsuri is the best for that scene in my opinion, if not a pile of ash.

OT: Seems like it is an anime law that moe characters have to retain their moe apperance even when they are seriously injured or dying.
Old 2007-05-07, 11:02   Link #60
Nemesis2124

Y'know. reading through this topic I think people are getting a little too fixated on the concept of "seed mode". It was pretty clear that it was meant to emphasize a non-emotive state, rather than a simple strength boost. After all, she had him overpowered even before that.

Neat thing is though, after breaking out of her trance, she practically goes on a suicide run outside. It suggests that she has a deep-rooted fear of harming(killing?)people to the point where death seems preferable. Presumably she's been in a similar situation and done something rather awful in the past. Would certainly explain a few things from earlier episodes. Now I can't wait for the next batch of crap to hit the fan.
Closed Thread