AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-07-19, 11:50   Link #41
Awataurus

Omfg! Fun animation dont Cuted any think Opening no editet any think just like japanese version

By the way I buyed Dvd in Usa shop Its good continent in english
Awataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 17:55   Link #42
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awataurus View Post
Omfg! Fun animation dont Cuted any think Opening no editet any think just like japanese version

By the way I buyed Dvd in Usa shop Its good continent in english
...Yeah, that's kinda what "UNCUT" means, you know. And by the way, you should seriously work on your spelling.

...Though technically, they DID edit the opening (they changed the logo) and episode-title-screens, but seeing how all they did was to translate them directly into english, it's no big deal. Though I stand by my opinion that if they removed those two minor edits, their release would be perfect.
Old 2008-10-02, 19:28   Link #43
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
The voice acting's pretty good, and it seems to be getting better. I particularly like Mihawk's VA, his deliverance is spot-on. Zeff is another of my personal favorites: the second I heard it I immediately pictured his face in place of Chef Boyardee. Again, the VA has nice deliverance.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 22:59   Link #44
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I didnt see a more recent one, and I think just making a new thread is just as bad, right?

Anyways, I watched Episodes 144-156 dubbed awhile ago, I liked all of the VAs and such.

Is anyone else here excited about Season 3 voyage 2 (episodes 157-169) coming out on Tuesday?
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 23:24   Link #45
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirou Emiya View Post
Sorry for necroing this thread, but I didnt see a more recent one, and I think just making a new thread is just as bad, right?

Anyways, I watched Episodes 144-156 dubbed awhile ago, I liked all of the VAs and such.

Is anyone else here excited about Season 3 voyage 2 (episodes 157-169) coming out on Tuesday?
Based on your other posts I take it you're not a fan of subtitles huh?

Anyway, yeah I have all the Funimation box-sets up till now and the 8th movie. I'm planning on having a look at the one store my local mall that sells anime on Tuesday to see if they'll have Season 3 2nd Voyage.
Old 2010-08-29, 23:33   Link #46
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Based on your other posts I take it you're not a fan of subtitles huh?

Anyway, yeah I have all the Funimation box-sets up till now and the 8th movie. I'm planning on having a look at the one store my local mall that sells anime on Tuesday to see if they'll have Season 3 2nd Voyage.
I almost always prefer dubs over subs, most of the time anyways.

That doesn't mean I don't watch some anime subbed though, I usually only watch an anime subbed if it doesn't have an english dub.

Anyways, good to know you buy the official FUNimation releases, I just rent the DVDs from Netflix or watch the dub at funimation's video site.

By the way, I am further ahead in the manga (thanks to viz), I'm currently at the beginning at impel down manga wise.
Old 2010-08-30, 03:12   Link #47
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
I almost always prefer dubs over subs, most of the time anyways.

That doesn't mean I don't watch some anime subbed though, I usually only watch an anime subbed if it doesn't have an english dub.

Anyways, good to know you buy the official FUNimation releases, I just rent the DVDs from Netflix or watch the dub at funimation's video site.

By the way, I am further ahead in the manga (thanks to viz), I'm currently at the beginning at impel down manga wise.
After VIZ changed God Eneru to Kami Eneru, they can pretty much go to hell for all I care. I know it's not story breaking, but it was censorship on some kind of religious values. Why is saying "god" was so offensive? That's six volumes of edits. For the manga, I only use scanlations and boycott all VIZ products.
They renamed the CP-9's moves. Soru is called "shave" Tekkai is called "Iron Body" Shigan is called "Finger Pistol". It sounds silly as hell. Did you know in Naruto they renamed Rock Lee's "Drunken Fist" to the "Potion Punch"? I'm not even going to mention how the butchered Detective Conan.
Their censorship wouldn't be so bad if they offered an unaltered version. The way they did with Dragon Ball years ago.

That's why I'm sooo happy FUNimation has the aniime. When it comes to the anime, FUNimaiton is doing a pretty darn good job. I'm loving their site. Since I started using their site. I haven't been on a fansb site in six months. Only thing I can wish for is that they fill in the gap between Skypiea arc and Sabaody Archipelago a bit faster than two episodes a week.

Now, if only FUNimation would announce they are going to release Strong World on Blu-ray. I really want to buy that.

I find the dub cast is a bit hit or miss. Luffy is lacking that innocence in the voice. Though, they should be given a medal for getting rid of that Southern accent 4Kids gave Robin.

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2010-08-30 at 05:20.
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:39   Link #48
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

To each their own, I don't mind the viz edits, and I'll never read the fan scans unless viz drops the manga, which I hardly doubt will happen =/.

Anyways.....hopefully I'll get Season 3 Second Voyage in the mail on Tuesday.
Old 2010-08-30, 08:55   Link #49
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
They renamed the CP-9's moves. Soru is called "shave" Tekkai is called "Iron Body" Shigan is called "Finger Pistol". It sounds silly as hell.
To be fair, they did not "rename" the moves, they just translated them, which IS part of what they are supposed to do.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 16:28   Link #50
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
To be fair, they did not "rename" the moves, they just translated them, which IS part of what they are supposed to do.
Actually is what they choose to do. I take note that Funi loves translating Japanese material
Old 2010-08-30, 16:59   Link #51
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
What VIZ did is a form of over translating. Even FUNimation was originally calling Haki "Ambition", but they realized how strange that was and now FUNimation is calling it "Haki".
Old 2010-08-31, 03:33   Link #52
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
They renamed the CP-9's moves. Soru is called "shave" Tekkai is called "Iron Body" Shigan is called "Finger Pistol". It sounds silly as hell.
I think the CP-9 translations are ok.

Potion punch isn't though...=/
Old 2010-08-31, 05:46   Link #53
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I think the CP-9 translations are ok.

Potion punch isn't though...=/
Sounds like a Kool Aid flavor, doesn't it? I don't see why people don't make more of an outrage about these things. VIZ is behaving the same way 4Kids did with One Piece.

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2010-08-31 at 08:00.
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 07:41   Link #54
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

It's not Viz Media's fault, they're being ordered to make those edits by Toei Japan, from what I have heard.
Old 2010-08-31, 08:00   Link #55
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
It's not Viz Media's fault, they're being ordered to make those edits by Toei Japan, from what I have heard.
I seriously doubt they are being ordered to make those edits. It sounds more like an excuse to make it seem as if VIZ isn't at fault. They are at fault.

Also, Toei is the anime. So, your excuse for those bastards at VIZ doesn't apply.
Does "Shueisha" approve these alterations? More than likely, but this is also the same company that approved the alterations that 4Kids made. They will approve anything.

The One Piece animes produced by FUNimation call Eneru "God" on the DVD release. So, if the Japanese companies are ordering these changes be made. Why aren't they the same thing? The answer is that VIZ 'chose' to make the change. VIZ Media is a &@%# poor publisher that shouldn't be supported until they start offering alternatives to their alterations.

Years ago, they also edited and censored Dragon Ball. The fans revolted and forced VIZ to publish an unedited version. We wont get the series ever done right and without this Politically Correct BS if we are supporting what they are doing. If they don't want us to use scanlations. They need to look to be more accurate.
If FUNimation can be more accurate, why can't VIZ?
Old 2010-08-31, 08:11   Link #56
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I didn't say I believed in what I heard, just saying what I heard.
Old 2010-08-31, 10:28   Link #57
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Even FUNimation was originally calling Haki "Ambition", but they realized how strange that was and now FUNimation is calling it "Haki".
Wrong. Toei literarily forced FUNi to call it Haki. There is a certain forum which I can't mention here, where one of FUNi's translators is a member (and I can confirm that he's real due to the fact that he's occasionally given us some info on the dub before it came out) and he said that he was going to translate it as "Ambition" or "Ambition Energy" depending on the context of the scenes, but Toei changed it. (Rather sloppily too, as I seem to recall the simulcast referring to it as "Haki Energy" once...)
Old 2010-08-31, 16:26   Link #58
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Wrong. Toei literarily forced FUNi to call it Haki. There is a certain forum which I can't mention here, where one of FUNi's translators is a member (and I can confirm that he's real due to the fact that he's occasionally given us some info on the dub before it came out) and he said that he was going to translate it as "Ambition" or "Ambition Energy" depending on the context of the scenes, but Toei changed it. (Rather sloppily too, as I seem to recall the simulcast referring to it as "Haki Energy" once...)
That's still no excuse for how the FUNimation dubs and subs kept Eneru as "God", but VIZ changed it all to "Kami". If these changes were coming from the Japanese copyright holders. They should be consistent.
Old 2010-08-31, 16:29   Link #59
secretzfan
*Fansubber

Quote:
That's still no excuse for how the FUNimation dubs and subs kept Eneru as "God", but VIZ changed it all to "Kami". If these changes were coming from the Japanese copyright holders. They should be consistent.
In reality they don't have to be. Funi like to dub things why Viz likes to sub them, but then not like Funi kept Gom Gom the same
Old 2010-09-01, 05:12   Link #60
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
In reality they don't have to be. Funi like to dub things why Viz likes to sub them, but then not like Funi kept Gom Gom the same
There is no valid excuse why the FINimation dubs can use the word God, but the manga refused to.

It follows the narrative that VIZ constantly makes oversensitive alterations to their series. One example being the Rock Lee's Drunken Fist being changed to the "Potion Punch". He got that way my drinking Tsunade's "private potion". Somehow, Kimimaro seemed to know Lee had drank this "private potion" and was "loopy".

This censorship wouldn't be that big a deal if they offered a more authentic alternative. The way they released Dragon Ball in both edited and unedited forms. Though, this edited and childish version is the only one they release. It shouldn't be purchased or supported by anyone. They don't want us to use scanlations, but refuse to put out a product that equals the authenticity of the scanlations.

I do think that FUNimation is doing a lot better job than VIZ on One Piece. Though they at times make alterations. They offer the subtitles unaltered as an alternative. FUNimation provided options to their consumers. VIZ offers no alternatives.

One of the more ridiculous changes from VIZ. Their Naruto manga calls all the teacher "Master", but the VIZ anime of Naruto uses "Sensei". They aren't even consistent within their own company.