AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-08-03, 18:21   Link #4521
Nerroth
NePoi!

Some big news MLS-wise: Clint Dempsey is heading to the league, and will most likely be playing for the Seattle Sounders as one of their Designated Players.

(The rules governing certain types of transfers into the league are somewhat arcane, so the Sounders can't come out and say he's going to them until all of the various rounds of horse-trading within the league organization are taken care of.)

There was a bit of a hoopla about this topic earlier in the week, but this latest news is for real.

Also, the Sounders will be giving a "special presentation" at 7.15PM Pacific time, which will be shown here:

I suspect this story and the prior one might not be entirely unrelated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
Could someone please post here something about the EPL? I've always wanted to watch a game of EPL, but I don't know any live stream, or current games. All in youtube are just previews and clips. Thanks! I'm new to football by the way, but I've became interested just recently.
Do you know who has the rights to broadcast that league in your country?

(The EPL hasn't started up again just yet.)

Last edited by Nerroth; 2013-08-03 at 21:08.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 00:13   Link #4522
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i feel bad for dempsey. didn't get the recognition he deserved at sp*ds.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 02:20   Link #4523
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

great sitcom idea.

Jason Sudeikis
An American Coach in London: NBC Sports Premier League Film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_...&feature=share
Old 2013-08-05, 21:10   Link #4524
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Some big news MLS-wise: Clint Dempsey is heading to the league, and will most likely be playing for the Seattle Sounders as one of their Designated Players.

(The rules governing certain types of transfers into the league are somewhat arcane, so the Sounders can't come out and say he's going to them until all of the various rounds of horse-trading within the league organization are taken care of.)

There was a bit of a hoopla about this topic earlier in the week, but this latest news is for real.

Also, the Sounders will be giving a "special presentation" at 7.15PM Pacific time, which will be shown here:

I suspect this story and the prior one might not be entirely unrelated...

Do you know who has the rights to broadcast that league in your country?

(The EPL hasn't started up again just yet.)
I can watch it on ESPN. xD I've tried watching it once, it was Chelsea I guess against Utd. Then later on, got interested watching it on tube. But I've went away from the house and now I'm living without a TV, though I have an internet, so I guess I can watch it live streamed? or replays? I'll be good with any. xD (I was just inspired of this RVP guy who kicks at pinpoint precision, and I don't know how could he curve the ball, it's like the boomerang snake in Prince of Tennis)
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 12:31   Link #4525
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Oh lol Arsenal. Wow. Way to lose your first home game.

No doubt Arsene Wenger will blame the ref, who made several outrageously wrong decisions. But for much of the game, Arsenal did not really have the game under control. There were a few nice passing moves leading to some decent chances, but Aston Villa's youthful energy more than matched them.

Also, Benteke is a terrible penalty taker.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 12:43   Link #4526
Eragon
Still Alive

Arsene is STILL the manager? Wow! Either the club devoutly believes in him or Arsenal is poorer than I thought How the heck have the fans tolerated him for so long?

Oh, and I read that ManC spent 100 million pounds this season on players? WTF?! They already had so many good players.
Old 2013-08-17, 15:50   Link #4527
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

A good first for the David Moyes era with a 4-1 Manchester United win over Swansea City. I must admit that they really surprised me by looking that good considering how the Liberty Stadium is a very hard place to play as the visitors.

Every time I take a look at Arsenal, I still can't believe how tolerant the board and the fans are towards Wenger. I also watched a few glimpses of the match and Aston Villa were by far the more energetic team; there was no way Arsenal could beat Villa today no matter the poor refereeing decisions (the second penalty call was horrible).
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 19:13   Link #4528
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Arsene is STILL the manager? Wow! Either the club devoutly believes in him or Arsenal is poorer than I thought How the heck have the fans tolerated him for so long?
Which fans are going to protest? The dedicated and vocal match going support has been priced out of the stadium a long time ago. I doubt discontent on a few internet forums will intimidate the owners. As long as the company turns a profit, I can't see the board protest too much.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 19:30   Link #4529
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post

Oh, and I read that ManC spent 100 million pounds this season on players? WTF?! They already had so many good players.
Arsenal isn't poor, they have about 120 million pounds that weren't spent on anything. It's like Arsene is saving money for something weird. haha.. Either way, I want him out either, and oh.. Haven't watched anything lately, how's Suarez plan for leaving liverpool?
Old 2013-08-17, 20:48   Link #4530
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Arsenal isn't poor, they have about 120 million pounds that weren't spent on anything. It's like Arsene is saving money for something weird. haha.. Either way, I want him out either, and oh.. Haven't watched anything lately, how's Suarez plan for leaving liverpool?
Their owner came out to say that he is not for sale due to not being able to find replacement this late. Then Suarez seems to back to team training with Liverpool. So will need some amazing thing to happen for Arsenal to get him.

Arsenal got a frustrated defeat. meanwhile Persie is winning game elsewhere. Sometime I do feel Arsene deserve what's coming to him.
Old 2013-08-17, 21:07   Link #4531
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Their owner came out to say that he is not for sale due to not being able to find replacement this late. Then Suarez seems to back to team training with Liverpool. So will need some amazing thing to happen for Arsenal to get him.

Arsenal got a frustrated defeat. meanwhile Persie is winning game elsewhere. Sometime I do feel Arsene deserve what's coming to him.
Well then, Suarez for sure weren't happy for the outcome. He hates England, that's why he wants out of Liverpool. I thought there's some kind a legal action done by Suarez? Or was it just a rumor?
Old 2013-08-17, 21:25   Link #4532
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Well then, Suarez for sure weren't happy for the outcome. He hates England, that's why he wants out of Liverpool. I thought there's some kind a legal action done by Suarez? Or was it just a rumor?
The way i see it, he does not have quite the desire to leave nor stay, and many suspected that it was his agent pushing all along. But when Liverpool start to block his move, he has to choose between playing and hope more interests elsewhere will generate in the future. Or try to push a move that freeze him out of football with little chance of success. He probably chose the former... very practical and individual decision I have to say.

And as mentioned, Arsenal was not his favourite destination anyway. If it was Real Madrid, he would have brought Liverpool to court or refuse to play.
Old 2013-08-17, 21:31   Link #4533
SummeryDreams

Quote:
The way i see it, he does not have quite the desire to leave nor stay, and many suspected that it was his agent pushing all along. But when Liverpool start to block his move, he has to choose between playing and hope more interests elsewhere will generate in the future. Or try to push a move that freeze him out of football with little chance of success. He probably chose the former... very practical and individual decision I have to say.

And as mentioned, Arsenal was not his favourite destination anyway. If it was Real Madrid, he would have brought Liverpool to court or refuse to play.
Make sense, he got a good game on his debut this season though, so I guess it weren't really that much of an issue. The thing is about Arsenal, it seems they really are short of world class players this season which is a pain in their ass. I don't know what placer will they be this season, but I'm speculating they won't reach top four if they can't find any better players. They have the budget, I don't why aren't they doing anything about their team. Arsene is probably not the best for this job I guess.
Old 2013-08-18, 04:41   Link #4534
DarkJak2050

I have a question about something.

What is the Ref's call if the ball hits a defending player (not the Goalkeeper) in the arm/hand and then the ball happens to go into the net?
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 05:14   Link #4535
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Make sense, he got a good game on his debut this season though, so I guess it weren't really that much of an issue. The thing is about Arsenal, it seems they really are short of world class players this season which is a pain in their ass. I don't know what placer will they be this season, but I'm speculating they won't reach top four if they can't find any better players. They have the budget, I don't why aren't they doing anything about their team. Arsene is probably not the best for this job I guess.
The problem is Asene. His football system run so well even without star player, that he still get the results. That's why he ended up not bothering to buy anyone.

The down side is: Arsenal strength is slowly and slowly weakened under his reign. He will still keep Arsenal up to be a decent side, but not gonna be the best. 10 years ago they were the best club in England. 3-4 years ago, they were still a tittle contender. Now staying in top 4 has already been a success for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
I have a question about something.

What is the Ref's call if the ball hits a defending player (not the Goalkeeper) in the arm/hand and then the ball happens to go into the net?
It will still count as a goal, and the defender escape unpunished (may still be penalised for unsporting behavior if he clearly block it, but this rarely happens).

Handball will only be penalised if their team gains anything from the incident. If not, then it is forgiven
Old 2013-08-18, 08:31   Link #4536
Bri

Quote:

I think the Suarez situation, and also Bale's at Tottenham, is a major reason why world class players are hesitant to transfer to teams just below the top in England. Those players are pretty much stuck there without a chance to win anything. Given the transfer fee and wage inflation in the EPL, there is not much chance of one of the continental top teams to sign them unless their contracts have run out.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-08-18 at 11:30.
Old 2013-08-18, 12:27   Link #4537
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I think the Suarez situation, and also Bale's at Tottenham, is a major reason why world class players are hesitant to transfer to teams just below the top in England. Those players are pretty much stuck there without a chance to win anything. Given the transfer fee and wage inflation in the EPL, there is not much chance of one of the continental top teams to sign them unless their contracts have run out.
You don't see much movements toward United either, especially from other league. Only Chelsea and City (and Tottenham this season) seems to be able to splash out the cash and draw in signings...

Maybe EPL is no longer a good destination for top players
Old 2013-08-18, 14:04   Link #4538
Bri

Quote:
You don't see much movements toward United either, especially from other league. Only Chelsea and City (and Tottenham this season) seems to be able to splash out the cash and draw in signings...

Maybe EPL is no longer a good destination for top players
True, top players want CL football, and in England the top 3 are the only safe bets. The new projects in France and the open Serie A offer better options.

United holds a position like Bayern, a national institution and the most attractive team for domestic players. Still, I'm not quite sure why they were so dead set on near impossible targets like Fabregas and Thiago when they could have had Paulinho or Strootman easily and on the cheap.
Old 2013-08-18, 18:28   Link #4539
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Absolutely disgusted with where Arsenal is right now. After celebrating fourth place, we go into the summer trumpeting how much money there is spend, only to not splash any of it for essentially three months and then lose our opening game at home.

There were notable injuries during the pre-season but still, no reinforcements were brought in. More occurred during the first game and now, due to a woeful lack of depth, Wenger's likely going to struggle to field a quality squad against Fenerbahce on Wednesday.

Unbelievable...
Old 2013-08-19, 01:43   Link #4540
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
United holds a position like Bayern, a national institution and the most attractive team for domestic players. Still, I'm not quite sure why they were so dead set on near impossible targets like Fabregas and Thiago when they could have had Paulinho or Strootman easily and on the cheap.
United try hard on Fabregas and Thiago partly because Paul Scholes retired, but also because of the new CEO Ed Woodward trying to make his mark. Personally, I hate this kind of inexperienced guy to be the one working on top and trying to lure players. Furthermore, some people are crying out loud for United to create a new position of director of football for someone with loads of appeal just like Zidane in Madrid and Hoeness/Sammer in Bayern.

United were linked with Strootman, but I guess they deemed that he was not quality considering how no other big club went for him. Paulinho... did great with Brazil, but I've yet to see his progress at Tottenham. Meanwhile, United don't go for a number of English players despite the attractiveness in England simply because English players are mostly overrated and too expensive.

Sometimes, I don't know what kind of business we do on the transfer market. Sometimes, we get marquee signings like Van Persie when we clearly need punch forward, but we look very hesitant when it comes to midfielders.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer