AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-05-24, 04:01   Link #2261
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Then... don't do it at all? What you said, makes no sense - considering what happened there.
Um, it's a little thing called a "question" or "asking about it," hence the whole point of why I posted it at all. I don't recall saying or even trying to say anything concrete there.....
Old 2011-05-24, 06:38   Link #2262
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I keep reading about there being *volunteer* shortages in Japan... argh, I could arrange the time to get over there to help but its a question of funding and who to even talk to.
What makes you think that the people managing the funding would even listen?

There are hundreds of accredited nuclear researchers and engineers in Japan, and they end up doing research for Minovsky particles instead of advising the management because those nuts at TEPCO wouldn't even listen to them. Similarly to the world of economics and finance, there are trading bloggers around writing sensible stuff but people still buy the IPO from Linkedin and Facebook.

I am more inclined to think that it is an ego issue at the middle-top level management - having climbed so high they refused to think they did something wrong by cutting costs so as to trickle some of that savings into their pay.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 20:04   Link #2263
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

There are hundreds of accredited nuclear researchers and engineers in Japan, and they end up doing research for Minovsky particles instead of advising the management because those nuts at TEPCO wouldn't even listen to them. Similarly to the world of economics and finance, there are trading bloggers around writing sensible stuff but people still buy the IPO from Linkedin and Facebook.

I am more inclined to think that it is an ego issue at the middle-top level management - having climbed so high they refused to think they did something wrong by cutting costs so as to trickle some of that savings into their pay.
Well said ! Well Said !
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 16:51   Link #2264
Solafighter
Hige

I have been wondering, if anybody of you heard of this:

(sry, its in Japanese)
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/new...1260009-n1.htm

I heard that from a friend from Japan, just now. I cant belive it...

EDIT(2 minutes after writing the previous text:
He just sent me another link, this time also in english:
http://www.niproid.com/2011/05/monju...hine-from.html
Old 2011-06-03, 21:03   Link #2265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Actually, my idea was to volunteer for basic things... like helping people recover their belongings from debris or just helping a town sort out its existence.
Old 2011-06-05, 23:09   Link #2266
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting phenomenon that many may not know about - inner ear problems survivors experience after major earthquakes and aftershocks, when there are tremors.

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/90075.php
Old 2011-06-06, 00:10   Link #2267
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you like your japanese green tea, hope you stocked up... I suspect this will rattle Japanese to the core:

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...esh-tea-oolong
summary: Japan may face a shortage of green tea as radiation leaking from the crippled Fukushima Dai-Ichi power station tainted leaves, spurring the government to restrict shipments from four prefectures.
Old 2011-06-06, 03:09   Link #2268
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
I have been wondering, if anybody of you heard of this:

(sry, its in Japanese)
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/new...1260009-n1.htm

I heard that from a friend from Japan, just now. I cant belive it...

EDIT(2 minutes after writing the previous text:
He just sent me another link, this time also in english:
http://www.niproid.com/2011/05/monju...hine-from.html
I suppose they are not going to exchange critical components in a breeder thats gone critical (online). So, appart from the ongoing series of breakdowns (that lead to at least one critical accident), I think there is no reason for immediate concern. However, on the long run its better to shut down this particular type of reactor. At the moment I'ld rate it the "potentially most dangerous" reactor in Japan.
Old 2011-06-07, 01:43   Link #2269
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Interesting phenomenon that many may not know about - inner ear problems survivors experience after major earthquakes and aftershocks, when there are tremors.

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/90075.php
Quote:
Ushio had experienced a mysterious condition known here as jishin-yoi, or "earthquake drunk," an illness in which people feel as if they are swaying, as though moved by a phantom temblor.

Medical experts aren't sure whether the phenomenon stems from a brain-inner ear disconnect or a psychosomatic form of earthquake phobia that causes sufferers to become hyper-alert, awaiting the next unsettling moment.
This is interesting given how badly we were shaken, I remember swaying as I walked to the point I couldn't tell where the x-aixs was anymore.
(Well technically the entire world plate was at an angle)
I can imagine the power of a M8 or M9 messing up our sense of balance within our ears or something, M7.3 was bad enough...

But I wouldn't totally give into that diagnosis on the phobia note, because I have turned super sensitive to quakes, that I sense the small tremors before natives catch on when by the time it increases in stregnth and to this point, have yet to be mistaken. I also can sense (on Japanese scale) what level we're feeling by the sound the earth makes or the way the foundations of a building creak, I think it's just human survival instincts getting kicked up a notch. (or 100)

And in case people are unsure of what they're feeling, there's always the T-Rex effect that I rely on ever since March 11th to confirm my suspcions:

Only need to check out the first 25 secs to get what I mean...
Spoiler:

On other random news which you all may have already heard, the PM just about survived a vote of 'no confidence' but he'll resign pretty soon

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 03:30   Link #2270
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
On other random news which you all may have already heard, the PM just about survived a vote of 'no confidence' but he'll resign pretty soon
With that, I am pretty encouraged by the fact that we Asians are descended from a collective of recessive genes inhibiting lateral and critical thinking - how would forcing him to resign fix this goddamn problem? The Diet needs to work together to solve that issue, not mudsling each other for being incompetent.

The citizens are angry for a reason, angry that their government aren't taking steps to efficiently getting a forecast and workplan out, leaving that to the halfwits from various news agencies to disseminate questionable information. And the biggest reason to why the government isn't working is because they aren't working together; all of them seem to want a slice of power without exercising responsibility.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-07, 07:52   Link #2271
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to start calling Japan the "Eastern Italy" at this rate.... you resign when you've done something that prevents you from doing good service. He's resigning pretty much just to resign (modern version of political suicide). This solves nothing and only contributes to chaos and nothing getting done.

As far as I can tell... the bureaucracy in Japan has full control rather than elected politicians and is totally incapable/ineffective (years of mental inbreeding?).
Old 2011-06-07, 08:24   Link #2272
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I'm going to start calling Japan the "Eastern Italy" at this rate.... you resign when you've done something that prevents you from doing good service. He's resigning pretty much just to resign (modern version of political suicide). This solves nothing and only contributes to chaos and nothing getting done.

As far as I can tell... the bureaucracy in Japan has full control rather than elected politicians and is totally incapable/ineffective (years of mental inbreeding?).
I think it is more of a case of "Asian Mental Hereditary Stupidity" that prevents us from analytical thinking - we will just "respect the authority or bigger power", or be forced to do so, even if there is something hugely wrong with it.

Old 2011-06-07, 10:34   Link #2273
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
With that, I am pretty encouraged by the fact that we Asians are descended from a collective of recessive genes inhibiting lateral and critical thinking - how would forcing him to resign fix this goddamn problem? The Diet needs to work together to solve that issue, not mudsling each other for being incompetent.
That's another term of saying "the inmates are running the asylum"
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 12:32   Link #2274
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

A theory is that the Prime-minister of Japan isn't that powerful these days, so they can't really do all that much. And when things go wrong the party basically sacrifices the PM, blames everything on him, and replaces him to please the voters. But that wouldn't get anything done in the long run.
Old 2011-06-07, 18:53   Link #2275
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
I think it is more of a case of "Asian Mental Hereditary Stupidity" that prevents us from analytical thinking - we will just "respect the authority or bigger power", or be forced to do so, even if there is something hugely wrong with it.
I thought confucious was to blame for that and not genetics
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 19:07   Link #2276
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
First time I have looked in on this thread, but some of my friends in Japan have mentioned to me that one of the things they are most worried about is the oncoming summer in Northern Tokyo.

In light of the power plants having problems there is a need to conserve electricity, and with the summer coming on (last year was one of the hottest on record) there is worry that in Tokyo proper some people may not be able to get electricity for AC and such. They are especially worried about heat stroke in the case of the elderly living by themselves - although I assume hospitals and the like would be at the top of the list for rationed power.

Some years back there were fires nearby that were endangering a power plant and the decision was to shut the plant down. Unfortunately this was in the midst of an extremely hot summer, and because of that some of the elderly had to later be hospitalized (heat stroke).

Anyway, has anyone else heard of this at all?
Old 2011-06-07, 19:52   Link #2277
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
First time I have looked in on this thread, but some of my friends in Japan have mentioned to me that one of the things they are most worried about is the oncoming summer in Northern Tokyo.

In light of the power plants having problems there is a need to conserve electricity, and with the summer coming on (last year was one of the hottest on record) there is worry that in Tokyo proper some people may not be able to get electricity for AC and such. They are especially worried about heat stroke in the case of the elderly living by themselves - although I assume hospitals and the like would be at the top of the list for rationed power.

Some years back there were fires nearby that were endangering a power plant and the decision was to shut the plant down. Unfortunately this was in the midst of an extremely hot summer, and because of that some of the elderly had to later be hospitalized (heat stroke).

*is using AC atm*
You know, I'll be able to kinda sacrifice this AFTER rainy season, since the UK has hot dry days but we don't have a complex AC system like Japan does.
I was wondering about that. The trains are now using AC daily cause humidty is rising every damn day, it's gonna get wet, but if Tokyoites have to forgo it for a bit over July/Aug, we'll survive.
(Just not June) >.>

Moreover, disease from the mozzies, bugs, flies and the heat is the next issue for the smashed places up there. Everything was soaked intially for months, so how they'll be able to avoid outbreaks of anything serious is an issue.
From the voices over at ground zero, one thing they gotta deal with is the awful smell of rot, something none of us can imagine or have to deal with, so concern is mainly up there, I doubt the heat will help much...

Here's hoping we don't get anything crazy like last year though, it lasted until November, we all pretty much died :\
(The year was the hottest on record. This year we get a record quake and typhoon hitting us in May/June for the 1st time in history, it's all going to Hell...)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 20:08   Link #2278
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
*is using AC atm*

You know, I'll be able to kinda sacrifice this AFTER rainy season, since the UK has hot dry days but we don't have a complex AC system like Japan does.

I was wondering about that. The trains are now using AC daily cause humidty is rising every damn day, it's gonna get wet, but if Tokyoites have to forgo it for a bit over July/Aug, we'll survive.

(Just not June) >.>

Moreover, disease from the mozzies, bugs, flies and the heat is the next issue for the smashed places up there. Everything was soaked intially for months, so how they'll be able to avoid outbreaks of anything serious is an issue.

From the voices over at ground zero, one thing they gotta deal with is the awful smell of rot, something none of us can imagine or have to deal with, so concern is mainly up there, I doubt the heat will help much...

Here's hoping we don't get anything crazy like last year though, it lasted until November, we all pretty much died :\

(The year was the hottest on record. This year we get a record quake and typhoon hitting us in May/June for the 1st time in history, it's all going to Hell...)
Ah ha ... thank you very much for the feedback and providing a little more context with what I heard.

After reading your post I went back and looked over the emails again (friends live in Nagoya) and realized that they also said it was THE hottest record on year.

Yeah ... from all I heard it has been a tough year for the Japanese in the upper half of Honshu especially.

I visited Japan for the month of April last year, so I just barely snuck in before things started getting difficult....

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 2011-06-08, 00:21   Link #2279
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

That's something I have been thinking about for a while, as I was born in a similar climate and know that AC is often essential. It's why I have been arguing that Japan needs to have affordable electricity, even if that means more fission plants at least for now.
It doesn't matter what one might feel about nuclear safety, the fact is Japan doesn't have many options to get more power from. If you don't get enough power, there will be suffering. I know there is a knee jerk reaction right now about not making more power plants, but reality will catch up eventually. High density apartments heat up like mad in most Asian major cities, you need AC to survive.
Old 2011-06-08, 12:17   Link #2280
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's something I have been thinking about for a while, as I was born in a similar climate and know that AC is often essential. It's why I have been arguing that Japan needs to have affordable electricity, even if that means more fission plants at least for now.
It doesn't matter what one might feel about nuclear safety, the fact is Japan doesn't have many options to get more power from. If you don't get enough power, there will be suffering. I know there is a knee jerk reaction right now about not making more power plants, but reality will catch up eventually. High density apartments heat up like mad in most Asian major cities, you need AC to survive.
Growing up in the US South... I was always dumbfounded by the trends in architecture away from naturally cooling buildings/schools/homes to ones that simply did not function without massive air conditioning units. The question "what do you when the electricity fails, you can't open the windows and there's no breezeway porch" was always met with blank stares.

People have lived in hot climates for eons... they just need to stop building things that don't work with the local climate.

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami