AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-30, 10:16   Link #381
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow Hisoka was pretty awesome. Nice job by Leorio not to runaway even though it was foolish. Like how Gon landed a hit on him. Interesting that that was the first time he felt fear. Wonder if they'll all make it in time.
Old 2011-10-30, 10:23   Link #382
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Nice job by Leorio not to runaway even though it was foolish.
Forgot to touch on this. Far from me to try and ruin your enjoyment of the episode, but that also didn't make as much sense as in the manga/original anime. There Leorio couldn't bring himself to run away because his humanity and sense of justice heavily disapproved of Hisoka's decision to arbitrarily slaughter the other participants, but here Hisoka was just defending himself, in what was basically HxH's version of Star Wars' infamous "Han shot first", so Leorio really didn't have nearly as strong a reason to come back and try to fight him. Hell, here Hisoka even neatly and quickly took care of his attackers, instead of purposefully scaring the shit out of them with crazed screams and laughter before killing them, like he was supposed to.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 10:57   Link #383
Kirarakim

Episode was okay I am most interested in Gon & Killua and there wasn't enough of them together. I admit my bias. I did like Killua concerned about Gon getting back to the test though.

I do like Hisoka in this version but the fight did nothing for me except for two moments when: 1) Gon hit Hisoka with his fishing pole 2) When Hisoka was strangling Gon. The rest of the fight didn't personally interest me all that much. I can't say if that was a problem with the direction or not.
Old 2011-10-30, 11:00   Link #384
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Spoiler for Episode 5:
I think that your complaints are kind of funny. I sometimes feel like complaints against the new series conflict against each other. People complain when it's too close to the manga, and then people criticize when it isn't close enough. People praise the old series for its quiet moments, but then criticize when the new series does the same. Hisoka's fascination with Gon is the exact same as it was in the manga. This episode was actually significantly more violent than the 1999 series too.

The scenario surrounding Hisoka was quite different in this episode from the manga and 1999 anime, but it makes it clear how the series is slightly altering Hisoka's character in order to expose one of HxH's primary themes. He still is a murderer, but he doesn't care about killing weak people/things.

Let me ask you--do you really think that there are actually "good guys" and "bad guys" in Hunter x Hunter? I don't think that exists in this series. People are people.

Anyways, not sure if I'll do any more comparisons here. Somebody neg repped me last week for doing it, so I'm not feeling it. If people want it, then I wouldn't mind.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 11:17   Link #385
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I liked that the new series was close to the manga. I don't like the departure. I don't like that losing the examiner, or getting tricked by the beasts was just a minor threat instead of a quasi-death sentence. I don't like that the pace has gone to a crawl. I don't like the alterations to the Hisoka bit either, but by that time I was too annoyed to care.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 11:46   Link #386
Vicious108

Quote:
I sometimes feel like complaints against the new series conflict against each other. People complain when it's too close to the manga, and then people criticize when it isn't close enough. People praise the old series for its quiet moments, but then criticize when the new series does the same.
Yeah, different people have different viewpoints, who would have thought.
"People" does not equal a single entity. Again, who would have thought?
And yes, context and execution matter, who would have thought!

Quote:
Hisoka's fascination with Gon is the exact same as it was in the manga.
Are you fucking serious? Hell no, it isn't. I reread that chapter a couple of days ago and apparently you really ought to do the same. All Hisoka said in the manga was "What a good boy" and told him he'd passed, he didn't go on and on about how much of a boner he was getting like he did in this episode.

Quote:
The scenario surrounding Hisoka was quite different in this episode from the manga and 1999 anime, but it makes it clear how the series is slightly altering Hisoka's character in order to expose one of HxH's primary themes. He still is a murderer, but he doesn't care about killing weak people/things.

Let me ask you--do you really think that there are actually "good guys" and "bad guys" in Hunter x Hunter? I don't think that exists in this series. People are people.
What does that have to do with any of my criticisms? It seems you've severely misinterpreted my issues with Hisoka's portrayal in this episode. I never complained that they didn't make him look enough of a "bad guy" or whatever. Yeah, he is a person, but a much less interesting and entertaining one with his toned down psychopathy.

Quote:
Anyways, not sure if I'll do any more comparisons here. Somebody neg repped me last week for doing it, so I'm not feeling it. If people want it, then I wouldn't mind.
Not sure why anyone would neg rep those, I always found them pretty interesting to go through. But I can understand if you don't feel like doing them after such ungratefulness.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 11:55   Link #387
noktown

No adaption is perfect i guess,i also didn't like this episode as much.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 12:19   Link #388
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Yeah, different people have different viewpoints, who would have thought.
"People" does not equal a single entity. Again, who would have thought?
And yes, context and execution matter, who would have thought!
I was using you as an example for a generalized opinion and it was unfair to do so. I apologize for that. I came off stronger than I intended to.

Quote:
Are you fucking serious? Hell no, it isn't. I reread that chapter a couple of days ago and apparently you really ought to do the same. All Hisoka said in the manga was "What a good boy" and told him he'd passed, he didn't go on and on about how much of a boner he was getting like he did in this episode.
It's sort of the context. This episode rearranged Hisoka's line saying "That's a nice face"; in the manga and first anime, he says it to Leorio. In the new series, it's moved to when he's choking Gon. But the way the line is written in Japanese is sort of flirtatious and creepy because of it. He doesn't just say "What a good boy"--the nuance is kind of like "Ooh! You're such a good boy! " in the line you're talking about. But it's sort of hard to capture into English.

His face is more twisted than in the manga during that scene, but I didn't find it unnecessary because it's in line with his personality. If I end up doing a comparison, I'll go into more detail.

Quote:
What does that have to do with any of my criticisms? It seems you've severely misinterpreted my issues with Hisoka's portrayal in this episode. I never complained that they didn't make him look enough of a "bad guy" or whatever. Yeah, he is a person, but a much less interesting and entertaining one with his toned down psychopathy.
I think that the psychopathy is still there, but in a different way. I'm not sure I've considered it to be "toned down" because of the way the character is in latter portions of the series.

Remember how there were those rumors that Hisoka was going to be changed into a "brave man"? That was a mistranslation. The line said something like "one who only cares about the strong." So in this incarnation of the series, Hisoka doesn't kill anyone without purpose. I can't really continue without getting into spoiler material, but I'll PM you why I think the change was made.

Quote:
Not sure why anyone would neg rep those, I always found them pretty interesting to go through. But I can understand if you don't feel like doing them after such ungratefulness.
I don't understand either, tbh. It didn't make sense to me that the only reputation I got for that post was a negative one. But if people enjoy reading them, then I'll do them.
Old 2011-10-30, 13:43   Link #389
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post

Your comparisons are a great help. Sorry someone neg rep'd you for them. I hope you continue.
Old 2011-10-30, 14:24   Link #390
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I don't understand either, tbh. It didn't make sense to me that the only reputation I got for that post was a negative one. But if people enjoy reading them, then I'll do them.
I personally would like you to carry on with the comparisons posts. Just ignore the people that neg rep and can't even be bothered to share their own opinion because of it.
Old 2011-10-30, 17:56   Link #391
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The only thing that bothered me this episode was that they edited out all the blood. I mean people are getting freaking impaled by spikes and chewed up by dinosaurs, but there's no blood?

No blood lessens the impact of each scene.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 17:58   Link #392
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The only thing that bothered me this episode was that they edited out all the blood. I mean people are getting freaking impaled by spikes and chewed up by dinosaurs, but there's no blood?

No blood lessens the impact of each scene.
Are you new to JUMP adaptations being censored for a younger audience? It's been happening for years now . To be fair though, there wasn't that much blood in the original manga. Be thankful we were still shown Hisoka's card attacks.
Old 2011-10-30, 19:01   Link #393
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Are you new to JUMP adaptations being censored for a younger audience? It's been happening for years now . To be fair though, there wasn't that much blood in the original manga. Be thankful we were still shown Hisoka's card attacks.
I think same thing happened in Fairy Tale unless I'm mistaken. Didn't like that either.

But things like Naruto don't have this (Unless I'm blind), so I don't know what gives.

I guess you can say it doesn't make me happy to hear this.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 19:04   Link #394
ZODDGUTS

Yeah this episode felt off. Maybe it was the lack of blood but I didn't feel any sort of tension in this episode compared to the original.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 19:18   Link #395
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 5 Comparison:

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2011-10-30 at 19:36.
Old 2011-10-30, 20:16   Link #396
NJZanDatsu

Quote:
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 5 Comparison:
Thanks for posting your comparisons, their very enjoyable to read.
NJZanDatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 21:50   Link #397
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i watched the episode and it wasnt bad but i agree with endless twilight it felt like those animes censored in united states for kids, but trying to make hisoka nicer seems as a bad omen for this sereis to me.
Old 2011-10-31, 02:19   Link #398
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
@Toto y Moi: i disagree with most of your points, but i still like the comparisons, don't give up! It's really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think same thing happened in Fairy Tale unless I'm mistaken. Didn't like that either.

But things like Naruto don't have this (Unless I'm blind), so I don't know what gives.
Gintama, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece still get away with blood and failry mild censoring, but for some reason, newer shonen adaptations are all being toned down. Reborn! and Eyeshield21 started the trend, then there's Toriko, Fairy Tail, Beelzebub....it's probably to make the series easily sellable overseas.

I thought HxH, being such a huge franchise in Japan, would be free of this crappy treatment, but noooo. Now i am kinda glad that they didn't bring Takahashi back to voice Hisoka, since his character will be pretty much ruined. He sounded too crazy for this new Hisoka.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 02:28   Link #399
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks a lot for the comparison post Toto. Great as always.

Seems like i'm one of the rare few that has nothing wrong with this episode, or the series in fact.
Old 2011-10-31, 04:00   Link #400
NJZanDatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Thanks a lot for the comparison post Toto. Great as always.

Seems like i'm one of the rare few that has nothing wrong with this episode, or the series in fact.
I'm loving the new anime, and I haven't disliked a single episode yet.
NJZanDatsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen