AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

View Poll Results: Infinite Stratos - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 12 15.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 12.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 31.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 25.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 11.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.50%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-21, 07:48   Link #21
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Rin turned out more likeable than I've expected, Cecilia quick change I'm going to assume she has some super secret plan after all the girls did say she was putting up some good acting skills, wolf in sheep's clothing I believe

But I think they overdid the tsun -> dere -> tsun expressions and reactions throughout the episode for all three girls. It's not that they were bad, but too much of a good thing will become...

...Still, despite that somehow I had this stupid grin on my face the whole time so... That's a good thing right ?
Old 2011-01-21, 07:50   Link #22
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...Still, despite that somehow I had this stupid grin on my face the whole time so... That's a good thing right ?
yes, it is. same here...
Old 2011-01-21, 07:51   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This is probably the worst episode of the series so far, and I wholeheartedly hope there won't be any episode any worse than this one.

I'm all good with transitions between IS training/competitions/real fights and romance/comedy school life.
However, this episode was reaching the peak of tedious content:
As I was afraid of, they made Cecilia going through a 180° change. Although I welcome it as a development so she will be less annoying, it is however way too steep, and her gunning for him that much isn't really convincing to say the least. Considering her pride and characterization in Episode 1 and 2, it is basically flipping a switch.

Meanwhile, Houki definitely lost of a lot of points. Props that she actually thanks and apologizes in due time. However, I believe her reactions are way too extreme, and because of the lack of slapstick effect on it (the usual over-the-top-reaction-attack-that-deal-lethal-looking-damage), it definitely bring questions to what she was thinking when she was picking her shinai (as a Kendoka, I understand full well that you should -never- swing your shinai without the purpose of practicing kendo. Venting your rage or attacking someone with it is ridiculous, and that kind of straight "Men" might leave a serious bruise if it did hit Rin).
I personally have no idea what they are trying to do with Houki: she doesn't have to follow textbook the tsundere archtype reaction pattern, but frankly she is so unpredictable that it is just going further in the annoying treshold.

But the noticeable issue was probably Ichika. Aside of his sudden collapse of performance in IS piloting, I must say that the characterization and interactions he had hardly flatter him. I won't question the convenient setup he had when he activated that IS (no trespass sign? who cares?), but the level of denseness is so incredibly high that it isn't even a character issue but a convulated plot device.
I do not expect such kind of character to realize the harem members feelings, but frankly, the lack of reactions and attempts of toning down the situation is nearly astonishing.

The only saving grace of this episode is perhaps Rin's characterization and interactions, although the start was scaring me for a second ("a new challenger appears" syndrome).
Truth to be told, I was wondering why the author decided to make TWO tsundere as osananajimi but at least, Rin is by far less extreme. That being said, I still have hard time to consider her seiyuu as a good choice (no matter how I watch this episode, I have a incompatibility feeling when Rin's speaking).
At least, her straight attitude and punchlines are welcome. I daresay she might actually lead to interesting situations for the whole group, so long Ichika stops being as clueless as the deepest darkest depth of oblivion.
Old 2011-01-21, 08:03   Link #24
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Rin is owning...
Ha ha ha, nice seeing how Houki and Cecilia being jealous...

Houki got a serious competitor...
And i never see a series where male protagonis have 2 childhood friend, yet those childhood friend never met each other. So convinient heh...
This show is oozing with "convenient" things, but I like Rin quite a bit in fact much more than the other two girls

Cecelia's character swung too fast and went from one "typical" to another "typical" which made me hate her on two ends.

Ichika on the other hand...is a grade AA derp, further proven by his past explanation. His thickness is beyond dense and simply irritating. A plot device as above poster said.

Houki I'm not so sure about right now, she can be random and unduly violent (outside of comedic violence it seems) but she can also reflect and apologize which is a definite plus.
Old 2011-01-21, 08:25   Link #25
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

180 degree Ojou-sama turnaround. Ultra tsun childhood friend. Ultra loli childhood friend. How many more do we need to complete the list?

*groan*

I literally had to force myself not to roll my eyes all the way back while watching this. Ichika is seriously losing points for me and reverting back to the usual dull harem lead standard of near-idiotic denseness.
Old 2011-01-21, 08:27   Link #26
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Ultra loli childhood friend.
As much as Rin may look petite, she is definitely not a loli, and does have curves
Old 2011-01-21, 08:32   Link #27
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My definition of loli is chest dependent, and she certainly fits that description.
Old 2011-01-21, 08:42   Link #28
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well... she is "normal looking" for a 15-16 years old girl (as seen here and there), unlike Houki and Cecilia being the ones above the norm...
Old 2011-01-21, 08:45   Link #29
ZeKeR
Superbad

inb4 mangatron and himeji take her into the twintail fold... one thing is for sure though, that most are ragin at the sudden u-turn of cecilia...

that leaves the girl with the eye- *gets shot in the arm by a mod* oww...
teh other girl who comes from f- *censored*
Old 2011-01-21, 08:47   Link #30
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

But in anime, Houki and Cecilia ARE the norm, which makes Rin look underdeveloped by comparison, hence she is practically loli by contextual definition. Also jebus I have become a Boob Sommelier ala Battler. Someone please shoot me.

Joking aside in my four years of unofficial hospital work I have never seen anyone in the age group have massive Tanner V breasts anime women have.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:01   Link #31
ZeKeR
Superbad

can anyone make a bust size comparison?!
while on that swimsuit carapace (most power armor parts refer to the suit inside as carapace) houki's were BIG...
Old 2011-01-21, 09:11   Link #32
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Well Rin is cute but she's not a loli in my point of view. She's from China but isn't very China-like isn't she?
Old 2011-01-21, 09:14   Link #33
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
can anyone make a bust size comparison?!
while on that swimsuit carapace (most power armor parts refer to the suit inside as carapace) houki's were BIG...
Someone had already brought that up before... Without any names that the anime haven't revealed yet,

1. Houki
2. Cecilia (Just by a little)
3. ??? (Average)
4. Rin + ??? (Erm, below average)
Old 2011-01-21, 09:15   Link #34
Sixth
Hu Tao

And people say that Ichika can handle harem.....which he is not capable.

He completely exhausted when he is dealing with 2 girls. Adding another 3 girls will kill him instantly.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:16   Link #35
paladinenvec

To tell you the truth i found strange at first that Cecilia had a 180 degree change from tsun tsun she goes to dere dere and well... she dont have the tsun anymore ^^u, i think that they made the decision to change Cecilia's behaviour more because a third tsundere character would be annoying, Houki tsundere (with homicide reactions) and Rin tsundere were too much for me, so in this chapter the most likeable character to me was Cecilia,(nice fan service in this episode from her btw).
Old 2011-01-21, 09:27   Link #36
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Jelly-ness : The Episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinenvec View Post
To tell you the truth i found strange at first that Cecilia had a 180 degree change from tsun tsun she goes to dere dere and well... she dont have the tsun anymore ^^u, i think that they made the decision to change Cecilia's behaviour more because a third tsundere character would be annoying, Houki tsundere (with homicide reactions) and Rin tsundere were too much for me, so in this chapter the most likeable character to me was Cecilia,(nice fan service in this episode from her btw).
I think Cecilia's haughty attitude was born from the preconception that 'men = the suck' and since even among girls, she was outstanding , and thus she wasn't receptive that a lesser being ( a man ) was in a position of undeserved showboating. ( in her opinion )

It's not like she lost her arrogance and confident stature.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2011-01-21, 09:59   Link #37
Sixth
Hu Tao

Who think it is funny when Ichika said " She is number and you are number 2" to Rin?

It is somewhat indirectly tell Rin that Houki is wife and she is mistress.
Old 2011-01-21, 10:12   Link #38
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

gave a 6 just a plot device episode.

Notes

-I guess that Ichika has no really basic training IS's ( It like a telling a beginner to assemble a pistol/rifle)

- Cecilia Fan service

- New Girl Rin

- Face palms at Ichika's denseness (Well at least he not some rat bastard or manipulative assh*le that F**k every girl that has feeling him so he forgivable in my book.)
Old 2011-01-21, 10:55   Link #39
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Funny things in this ep

Spoiler for ep 3:

well i guess i wouldv'e given it a better score looking at the english subs but idk why it takes a day later to sub it.

Despite the fact the story may seem cliche harem-wise i think im gonna like these battles.
Old 2011-01-21, 11:15   Link #40
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

My god ichika is so bloody annoying just you guys wait i bet all three of them will confess to him later and he'll be like.......i wonder what they were trying to say to me........

honestly i almost hate him as much as Sasuke....almost.