AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-13, 13:46   Link #21
camathalion

comic viewer rocks!

thx Tsu
Old 2006-05-13, 15:24   Link #22
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

100% Authentic japanese? O.o Ya know right to lefttt.
Old 2006-05-13, 17:42   Link #23
camathalion

lol, Kotori i think he meant using wat computer program to read mangas
Old 2006-08-20, 01:28   Link #24
Venti

A new manga reading program

I don't really consider this an advertizement, it's free and open source so no viral marketing scheme here.

Finding CDisplay to be abit lacking and alternate offerings not even coming close, I started to wonder, how hard could it be to make a program for this? Well it turns out, not that hard. So I made this little python script that tries to best CDisplay, and called it PDisplay (I know, I know...) and here it is, converted to win32 exe with py2exe for your convenience.

New version 0.02 released 15.10.2006 !
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=179133

Features that I found lacking from CDisplay that I added are, among other things
-Opening images within nested archives (like .jpg inside .zip inside .rar)
-Doesn't stop you from going forward even if next page isn't loaded yet
-Changing the size and zoom of magnifying glass
-Dragging and dropping folders or multiple archives
-Stuff

Other
-Buffering, I think it works kinda well
-Support for some pretty exotic image formats, some of them disabled though for py2exe, these should work ['.bmp', '.gif', '.jpg', '.jpe', '.jpeg', '.png', '.tif', '.tiff', '.pbm', '.pgm', '.ppm']
-Support for .zip and with 7zip installed, ['.zip', '.rar', '.cbz', '.cbr', '.7z', '.tar', '.bz2', '.cab', '.arj', '.lzh', '.gzip', '.bzip2', '.z']
More is better, right?
-History thingie

It's supposed to be fast and lightweight, and I think it is, atleast if you turn down the buffering abit. Storing 2 copies of 15 large images in memory isn't lean. But memory is there to be used. The program it self takes about 22MB

I'd like your feedback on these things
-Does it work? I've tested this only on a couple different computers and have occasionally ran into problems. (.dll's could be missing, maybe something wrong with 7zip, old version, local deity hates my program)
-Is it any good? Needed?
-Is Lack of scrollbars really that big of a deal? I think setting magnifyin glass to full screen is pretty much to identical to scrollbars if thats your thing. (update: fit to width/height will be added in near future)
-Does it go bananas on multicore systems?

If it doesn't work... umm... please post any errors and educated guesses here. And maybe some relevant information, like version of Windows.

Last edited by Venti; 2006-10-15 at 15:57.
Old 2006-08-20, 01:39   Link #25
arias

I'll try it out in abit.. Playing FFTactics now ; ) Will edit this post once I've tried it.

Thanks anyways, I'm using only Picwalker but it has problems with RAR files. It's completely satisfactory apart from that though. On second thought, I'm a little paranoid that there's spyware contained in this : o You're a new member and this is your first post as well.. I guess I'll wait for the feedback of others : p

You should put up screenshots if you can though.
Old 2006-08-20, 05:18   Link #26
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

book form
right to left , top to bottom.
no scanlations for me
too difficult for the eyes.
Old 2006-08-20, 07:40   Link #27
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

it took me a bit to get used to scans. I have to say though that I rather read it in book format.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-08-20, 08:38   Link #28
Venti

Well... someone deleted all the accounts. I only posted with it once though.

Last edited by Venti; 2006-10-07 at 04:35.
Old 2006-08-20, 15:57   Link #29
Sandai
The one

Hey ppl i ..... u see i got little bit problem in lithuania (it is in europe near poland) Where is NOOOO MANGA STORE!! !!!! so about 1 guy in 1000ppl knows wat means manga so i need to read it online . so ok i read manga in msn group or i download ir with bit torent and read it with hm........ i press button (to the right in window) view as slide show and hmmmm so in lithuania where is no mangas so maybe u can offer me some cool mangas i can read?
Old 2006-08-20, 16:36   Link #30
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandai
Hey ppl i ..... u see i got little bit problem in lithuania (it is in europe near poland) Where is NOOOO MANGA STORE!! !!!! so about 1 guy in 1000ppl knows wat means manga so i need to read it online . so ok i read manga in msn group or i download ir with bit torent and read it with hm........ i press button (to the right in window) view as slide show and hmmmm so in lithuania where is no mangas so maybe u can offer me some cool mangas i can read?
My god, THAT is a desperate call.

Though I'd like to know what you mean by offering you manga.
Well, make friends here, and we'll see if someone can ship you some stuff.
Then, you should check online stores (though I never tried myself...).

Good luck.
Old 2006-08-20, 16:57   Link #31
Sandai
The one

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
My god, THAT is a desperate call.

Though I'd like to know what you mean by offering you manga.
Well, make friends here, and we'll see if someone can ship you some stuff.
Then, you should check online stores (though I never tried myself...).

Good luck.
offering manga i mean wat cool mangas like naruto , one piece i want to read more cool mangas
Old 2006-08-23, 15:38   Link #32
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Well, I have the japanese version of the Fushigi Yuugi comic books. don't think it is in Japanese, it isn't . I just read it in the Japanese way Same with my sister .
Old 2006-08-23, 17:56   Link #33
Ji Ji

Send a message via MSN to Ji Ji
Well, it depends really. I'll read like like the book was made. Sometimes I read in the Japanese backwards version and sometimes the American version.
Old 2006-08-24, 04:54   Link #34
Mr.Minou

picwalker for me
Old 2006-08-24, 09:40   Link #35
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

I used Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I don't know how I got it but it was already installed onto my computer...
Old 2006-08-24, 15:45   Link #36
doink-chan
Hajimari no Kaze

Send a message via AIM to doink-chan Send a message via Yahoo to doink-chan
doinkies generally downloads scanlations of unlicensed manga only (and buys both English and Japanese releases in book form as well ^^), but I only use the default Windows Picture and Fax Viewer for scanlations...If I like a manga that I've read through scanlations doinkies will buy the English release or the Japanese release if the manga isn't licensed or the English version turned out doinky or something.
Old 2006-08-24, 15:51   Link #37
Samourai
Le samouraï est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
i buy all mine, i like to collect them.
Old 2006-08-24, 16:47   Link #38
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samourai
i buy all mine, i like to collect them.
Oh I love to collect manga as well.. but when you have a collection burgeoning to four, five hundred books then it becomes troublesome. Especially when you have to move My horror experience came when two hundred + of my manga were absolutely DRENCHED when the house was flooded in heavy rain.

Took me hours to set them out in the sun to dry, occasionally flipping pages.. and even then, ending up with crumpled books Digital manga definitely has its plusses, especially for portability and conservation of space, which is dang useful when you're a college student. Right now I still collect some manga, I have the whole set of Nausicaa and am planning to acquire Planetes. : 3
Old 2006-08-24, 17:04   Link #39
Samourai
Le samouraï est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Oh I love to collect manga as well.. but when you have a collection burgeoning to four, five hundred books then it becomes troublesome. Especially when you have to move My horror experience came when two hundred + of my manga were absolutely DRENCHED when the house was flooded in heavy rain.

Took me hours to set them out in the sun to dry, occasionally flipping pages.. and even then, ending up with crumpled books Digital manga definitely has its plusses, especially for portability and conservation of space, which is dang useful when you're a college student. Right now I still collect some manga, I have the whole set of Nausicaa and am planning to acquire Planetes. : 3

that sucks to bad that happend.

i just dont get the same satisfaction unless i own it, maybe its just me.
Old 2006-08-24, 20:55   Link #40
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
well im satisfied just reading, usually i prefer the ones you can hold in the hand, and take in the car on trips and planes, but i found that reading D.N.Angel I kinda would have prefered in on the computer.

is that loco?
Closed Thread