AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-28, 10:38   Link #61
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
You got my support. Just hope you are right about it. Still too early to know if this a prequel or sequel or just another different timeline all together of the anime.
Well I posted this theory way back early in the series now with all that's happen I'm not even sure how true this would turn out to be.
Old 2011-04-28, 19:43   Link #62
RDF2050
Superidol

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well I posted this theory way back early in the series now with all that's happen I'm not even sure how true this would turn out to be.
It seems to be a different timeline/universe at this moment. Well, only time will tell what this spin off is: prequel, sequel or just another universe.
Old 2011-04-29, 13:38   Link #63
mols

I think it is something happening before/during the Madoka story.

What I did not like in the last chapter is that Jyuubee actually...smiled?smirked? they aren't supposed to have any emotions,right?
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 13:42   Link #64
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
I think it is something happening before/during the Madoka story.

What I did not like in the last chapter is that Jyuubee actually...smiled?smirked? they aren't supposed to have any emotions,right?
It's possible to smile/smirk without any visible emotion. That said, the whole thing about unchanging facial expressions for the Incubators only applied to the anime; Kyubey had some facial expressions in the manga adaptation of the anime, too.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 13:48   Link #65
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
they aren't supposed to have any emotions,right?
In the anime QB doesn't but in the manga version of Madoka Magica he does you sometimes really wish he didn't
Old 2011-04-29, 13:50   Link #66
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
In the anime QB doesn't but in the manga version of Madoka Magica he does you sometimes really wish he didn't
=/ I was hunting the same pic, but I was delayed by the time it took to appropriately crop it.
Old 2011-04-29, 13:51   Link #67
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
It's possible to smile/smirk without any visible emotion. That said, the whole thing about unchanging facial expressions for the Incubators only applied to the anime; Kyubey had some facial expressions in the manga adaptation of the anime, too.
Oh, really? i haven't read the manga.
But that is kind of worse! Smiling without emotion is something even more complex. It means you are trying to force a smile to hide something, for example. Or, you don't feel like smiling but you feel that you should, to show a sign of appreciation, etc.
Smiling and other facial expressions are important social behaviors.

In the anime kyubee never smiles because he has no emotions and also he never feels he is doing something wrong or that he is deceiving... so why even smile? in the anime he even tells some outrageous things with the same tone and facial expression. Smiling, even without being happy, implies complex emotional processes...
Old 2011-04-29, 13:55   Link #68
Akashin

Quote:
Oh, really? i haven't read the manga.
But that is kind of worse! Smiling without emotion is something even more complex. It means you are trying to force a smile to hide something, for example. Or, you don't feel like smiling but you feel that you should, to show a sign of appreciation, etc.
Smiling and other facial expressions are important social behaviors.

In the anime kyubee never smiles because he has no emotions and also he never feels he is doing something wrong or that he is deceiving... so why even smile? in the anime he even tells some outrageous things with the same tone and facial expression. Smiling, even without being happy, implies complex emotional processes...
Well in the scene totoum and I linked, emotion was necessary. In the anime you have the benefit of being able to tell that, even with his mostly emotionless voice, he was utterly flippant and uncaring. The manga has a tougher time showing that, so a wider range of emotions is needed to compensate. In the same chapter (chapter 8, if you feel like hunting it down for self-reference) you'll notice Sayaka looks noticeably darker, likely for much the same reason--you can't show her empty, emotionless voice in the manga.
Old 2011-04-29, 14:01   Link #69
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
Well in the scene totoum and I linked, emotion was necessary. In the anime you have the benefit of being able to tell that, even with his mostly emotionless voice, he was utterly flippant and uncaring. The manga has a tougher time showing that, so a wider range of emotions is needed to compensate. In the same chapter (chapter 8, if you feel like hunting it down for self-reference) you'll notice Sayaka looks noticeably darker, likely for much the same reason--you can't show her empty, emotionless voice in the manga.
Yep, you are right about that. Those images are more for impact than actual smiling I suppose...and really, quite creepy...
Old 2011-04-30, 12:22   Link #70
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
In the anime, Kyuubey's image is heavily complemented by his evenly nonchalant way of speaking and never moving a face muscle. In the manga, much of this impact is lost, in static pics he just looks like a cute plushie. The artist had to compensate somehow.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 19:12   Link #71
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

The new episode is out. More tragic Puella Magica fate. We get a glimpse of Yuuri's past but somehow I don't really feel myself sympathizing with here. >_<
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 09:11   Link #72
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
more importantly, I wonder if anything is explained about the continuity of the story.
Old 2011-05-30, 00:13   Link #73
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I think we can just say Yuuri's gone off the deep end a long time ago. The bigger surprise is why she hasn't become a witch already...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 01:02   Link #74
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
More than that, it's actually knowing that Yuuri... isn't Yuuri.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-30, 01:42   Link #75
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
I think we can just say Yuuri's gone off the deep end a long time ago. The bigger surprise is why she hasn't become a witch already...
Actually Yuuri...or should I say Airi became a witch already right before we are shown Airi's past.
Old 2011-05-30, 03:48   Link #76
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I meant Airi---she started out with the anger and despair already.
Old 2011-05-30, 10:42   Link #77
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The biggest surprise I had this chapter was Kyubey confirmed as a player in the system. He's the one who turned Airi and Yuuri into MG's. In fact, Jyubey seems very different than Kyubey. He even rushed to purify Yuuri's Soul Gem (unfortunately he was too late and got hurt in the process).

I'm not exactly sympathetic about Airi/Yuuri's fate but it is tragic. This is definitely the equivalent of episode 3 in my eyes.

There's some explaining to do though. Why did the Saints not want Kazumi to know about where Witches came from? Why is Jyubey different from Kyubey? Why didn't the Evil Nut work on Kazumi?
Old 2011-05-30, 15:11   Link #78
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Why didn't the Evil Nut work on Kazumi?
I think the reason why it didn't work is because technically, magical girls ARE witches, just immature. The evil nut seemed to have given Kazumi a power boost instead. But actually, Airi thought it didn't work it at first but for some reason she then stated it worked.

Spoiler for Kazumi:
Old 2011-05-30, 23:00   Link #79
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Kyuubey fills his quotas and Jyuubey fills his--maybe they're competing for the better quota methods--Kyuubey pits Magical Girls against each other, Jyuubey seems to think having them work together is a better idea?

Just a guess.
Old 2011-07-03, 14:08   Link #80
Jimmy C

Chapter 6 has been scanlated. It's looks like the end of this story arc. Are we going to get plot development or episodic stories for this title?
On another matter, either Jyuubei doesn't know as much about the magical girl system or he's outright lying to the girls when he says "sometimes" magical girls turn into witches.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, spin-off