AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2006-11-02, 18:55   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Sousei no Aquarion: Uragiri no Tsubasa (OVA, Wings of Betrayal)

While Aquarion OVA has not been licensed yet, it is produced by MFI, therefore we won't be listing fansubs here on AnimeSuki. See Removal of Media Factory Inc. Works for details.

Since it is "restricted", the following posts are no longer allowed.
  • Asking where you can find Aquarion OVA downloads or torrents.
  • Asking for help downloading Aquarion OVA.
  • Asking for playback help for Aquarion OVA episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

You still are allowed to discuss the anime, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story. End of edit by Mod (xris)

Production Company: ??

Genre: Mecha related comedy that makes fun of melodrama and angst so easily found in any Gundam esque show. How is this for naming Genre?

Expected Release Date: January 2007

I'm not much of a fan of mecha shows, so when someone told me that I might like Aquarion, I was skeptical. My skepticism was for naught! This was a perfect show for me for exactly the reason, I don't like mecha shows. The news of a sequel makes me giddy! Wonder if the same group will be involved in subbing the sequel as well. Synopsis in the following is from the first season for those who have yet to watch it as posted in AniDB:
Holy Genesis Era. Year 0011. Mankind has lost 2/3 of its population. The Great Catastrophe, which ruined the planet 11 years ago, caused the ice of Antarctica to melt.

In the Lost Atlantis, which was believed to be destroyed 12000 years ago, the winged race of Shadow Angels resurrected. They sent their bio-mechanical `mythical beasts` to harvest the life energy
`Purana` of humans in the few remaining cities.

Humanity tries to hold off the onslought when the `Godspeed Magician` Fudo Gen excavated in the sea near Crete the so-called vector machines, legendary machines which gave new hope. With these 3 new weapons, Mars, Luna and Sol, piloted by gifted pilots who posess the `element` to activate them, the legendary `Mechanical Angel Aquarion` can be united from the 3 `vectors`...

The `elements` who needed to have pure souls and sharp senses, finally start off the fight and the time of uniting humanity`s hopes into the legendary Aquarion has come.

*adapted by mahou from official site*
Watch the first season if you haven't already. You don't even have to be mecha-hater to like this show.

Last edited by xris; 2007-06-10 at 03:15.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-02, 21:18   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ooooh, yeah! I can't wait to see more Aquarion. It was an hysterical parody of all things gattai and most things mecha. Was I the one who suggested that you watch Aquarion?

Now we have to wait for some basic information, like: Is this a sequel, prequel or alternate? If it is a sequel, does it happen 1000 years later? Who are the characters? Is there any relation to the first series at all?! Since this is Aquarion they might come up with some unusual answers to those questions.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 05:43   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The first one was quite fun. Now you have to think in 3D! ^_^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 07:38   Link #4
wao
OK.

Pardon the really obvious and embarassing fangirling that follows, but lately I have totally drowned in fangirl-mode (I'm sure it's easy to guess what) and anyway, what the hell - this is the kind of show that is calling for that sort of behaviour so...

OMG! I can't wait for this, if it'll be as so incredibly fun as its predecessor! That was just LMFAO and "" and simply wonderful silliness in bucketloads. Truckloads, even. Aquarionloads.

And I'm REALLY excited to see the older versions of Apollo and Silvia I can see goosebumps...
Especially seeing some of the pictures on the official blog. You can't see anything clearly, but there is one picture with genga (key animation) papers lying around, including some yellow ones (those have been corrected by the animation director). And there's Apollo and Silvia on them. Apollo looks so cool and grown-up, and Silvia looks great with that long hair. And I'm sure you can see their pose in the small version of that poster....

I'm really looking forward to this Let's hope it'll be another show of (edit: Satelight's) power since I think the staff there enjoyed it tremendously...

Last edited by wao; 2006-11-03 at 09:56.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 09:41   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I liked Aquarion. For all it's intent and purposes, it really delivers it's intentionally fun parts well without being drowned into bad story-telling and character development, even if some of them are a bit of the cliche side....What the hell am I talking about, it's awesome because it IS hysterically cliche.

Frankly, it would be totally freakin awesome if this series gets it's art direction totally revamped into a more artisticly mute, water-brush feel. Though judging from the pic above, it seems like they're retaining the original feel. Not it's bad, mind anyone.

wao-dono....what do you mean by Sunrise's power? Unless my mind is skewed with a fork recently, I don't think Sunrise had anything to do with Aquarion. at. all.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 09:55   Link #6
wao
OK.

Absolutely sorry. I'm sorry, that was a really stupid miss on my part. Satelight's power is what I meant to say. (Look at me, way too much Iroha... -___-)

I get the feeling Satelight can do amazing wonders only if it wants to (Macross Zero, Aquarion, Noein) - and part of that includes the capability of hte director. The director just needs to be able to get teh right people together, and Satelight's production can actually bring their various talents together very well, since they are receptive to a great amount of styles. And from what I saw in the three shows I mentioned there, they can be pretty damn amazing when it comes to putting digital effects, 2D and 3D animation all together into one beautiful film. Especially end of Noein episode 7 - that was just gobsmacking beautiful!

EDIT: Regarding art styles, I would be flipping over in delight if they adopted the style of illustrations that the original character designer, Eiji Kaneda, uses... I love the artwork for Aquarion I've seen from him in various places; at the very least it would be nice if we got some designs or even just one episode with that sort of taste.
Old 2006-11-03, 10:52   Link #7
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I think that the series would have done without the comic fillers that were episode 17, 18, and 19.

The last arc started at episode 20 until the end of the series.

I'm not complaining that the first Aquarion was either bad or mediocre. Quite on the contrary, I enjoyed it very much.

It's just that it would have been better had the staff introduced the last arc from episode 17.

I just wonder what kind of connection the second Aquarion will follow from the first one in terms of the storyline.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 11:49   Link #8
Zappster

No way! I loved those episodes. Particularly the one where they were each roleplaying a different character, can't remember the episode number but I thought it was hilarious. I'd hate to have seen those episodes removed/not created at all. Maybe come to some compromise like make them DVD only episodes or something.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 12:25   Link #9
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
EDIT: Regarding art styles, I would be flipping over in delight if they adopted the style of illustrations that the original character designer, Eiji Kaneda, uses... I love the artwork for Aquarion I've seen from him in various places; at the very least it would be nice if we got some designs or even just one episode with that sort of taste.
Agreed. I have the Aquarion's artbook, containing all the artworks done by Eiji Kaneda and they're truly beautiful. It would be really interesting to see atleast one episode portrayed with the same look and flavour.

Anyway... is this new Aquarion a sequel? A prequel? Is it going to be a movie, a tv serie or what? I'm kinda lacking informations on this side.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 13:14   Link #10
SDM

I loved aquarion. One of the reasons being the soundtrack, wich was great.

Let`s hope the second season has a great one too.
SDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 14:03   Link #11
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Ooooh, yeah! I can't wait to see more Aquarion. It was an hysterical parody of all things gattai and most things mecha. Was I the one who suggested that you watch Aquarion?
Yes! One more friend also recommended it but I couldn't take another fan of Gundam that seriously. Then I read a lot of these exuberant posts including yours, Dreamless, Wao, and a few others who don't frequent the forum as much as they used to. Plus, the fansubber who were subbing this, was also subbing Tsukiyomi Moon Phase at the time. For obvious reason I had to give them the benefit of the doubt that they won't pick up a bad show. So, I gave it a shot.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 15:08   Link #12
wao
OK.

Squinting at that small poster it looks as if it's a grown up version of Apollo and Silvia. But I'm wondering how that connects to the end of the first season (or maybe they'll just not give a damn about it )

Although it's possible they'll go into Apollonius and Celiane's story since it's more relevant to the title: "Uragiri no Tsubasa" (Wings of Betrayal)...

But when I see that pic on the official blog with those genga papers, it looks more like Silvia than anything. Unless it's Celiane before she had a haircut.
Old 2006-11-03, 15:29   Link #13
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Could it be that it's actually a 'remake/spin-off' rather than a sequel or a prequel?
Old 2006-11-03, 16:40   Link #14
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM View Post
I loved aquarion. One of the reasons being the soundtrack, wich was great.

Let`s hope the second season has a great one too.
ahh I was a big fan of the ending song. It was very addictive. ^_^;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 18:17   Link #15
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Could it be that it's actually a 'remake/spin-off' rather than a sequel or a prequel?
That's what I was wondering. Granted it might be kinda soon to do that but perhaps. Maybe it's a film version of the series. Is there any information save for the image?
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 21:26   Link #16
eggplant
Eggplant

Quote:
Anyway... is this new Aquarion a sequel? A prequel? Is it going to be a movie, a tv serie or what? I'm kinda lacking informations on this side.
According to the website of the sound studio involved, looks like it will be an OVA series.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 00:47   Link #17
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Entirely possible that this will be "Aquarion Alternate." We desperately need information.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 03:32   Link #18
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
According to the website of the sound studio involved, looks like it will be an OVA series.
hmm, an OVA. Well that sort of increases the possiblity that it could really be a spin-off. If that's the case, this new Aquarion might probably have a more serious tone and look than the previous one. In any case we really need more informations. Shame on me for being too lazy to get myself to learn how to read japanese.
Old 2006-11-04, 03:57   Link #19
KBTKaiser

Indeed we need more info!
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-23, 01:55   Link #20
w1zkid

Ok now im confused.... is there going to be a OVA with 2-3 new episodes or a whole new 26episode 2nd season for aquarion.... or is it both... please tell me its a new season...
w1zkid is offline   Reply With Quote