AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-05-30, 19:42   Link #1881
krln99

Has anyone noticed Kagami's motherly nature? Not just in relation to her younger sister, but to Konata as well. I would argue that Kagami is probably the closest thing Kona has to a mom. Behind her combative nature, she really does love her friends (especially Konata!)
krln99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 20:13   Link #1882
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I used to help catalog Animaniacs references. People loved the show though they completely missed all the vaudeville, Marx Brothers, Bob Hope, 80s references... why? Because it was still funny.
So true. I used to watch it when I was too young to understand ANY of the references... yet it was my favorite cartoon. In the past couple of weeks I've been watching bits and pieces of Animaniacs on YouTube and have found that it's a completely different experience for me now that I'm older (I actually get references now, though there's no way I'm catching all of them).... and I love the 'toon even more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
Has anyone noticed Kagami's motherly nature? Not just in relation to her younger sister, but to Konata as well. I would argue that Kagami is probably the closest thing Kona has to a mom. Behind her combative nature, she really does love her friends (especially Konata!)
Yes, definitely... Kagami does love her friends even if she'll never admit it. Randomness: at this point I can't say that I think Kona misses having a mom though (as she seems so content with life... except during baseball season).
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 20:23   Link #1883
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Hell, the first 3 seconds of the first episode was a joke referencing to the 80s Fujiko Fujio's Kaibutsu-kun anime intro (at which point I spewed my coffee out, even before the insane dancing OP ), and not a single person in AS forums seems to notice or mention it.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1589

Too bad Kagami doesn't say "Urusai!"
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 01:43   Link #1884
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Are we talking mostly english speakers blogs and such?
This show has so much in-jokes that non-Japanese would have very hard time even "getting" it.
For that matter, how many Japanese viewers even catch all the references?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Too bad Kagami doesn't say "Urusai!"
I think she's said it a few times. Or do you just mean in the intro?
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 02:12   Link #1885
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
For that matter, how many Japanese viewers even catch all the references?
Well, stuff like the Top o Nerae! Gunbuster references, and the Star cruiser Yamato joke in ep4 are probably not gonna go well with everyone, especially the younger crowd.
And the heavily otaku-oriented jokes like the Kanon joke, and the Tsuyo-kiss kani fan are gonna be lost to most people in general.

However, aforementioned Kaibutsu-kun intro is too much of a "national icon" (like all the other Fujiko Fujio kids cartoon like Paaman, Ninja Hattori-kun, Doraemon, Kiteretsu, etc), that it's hard to believe any Japanese over the age of 20 to not be familiar with it.
The Crayon Shin-chan impersonation goes in this category as well.

Imagine an american who's never heard of the Loony Toons and Simpsons theme song. It's very unlikely.

Also, it's not just the parodies and references... Talk about common Japanese every-day life consists most of the show, very much like Azumanga daioh. While both LS and Azumanga are fairly popular among american fans for many reasons, a lot of the humor and atmosphere are lost to those not familiar with it.
I'm just mentioning these as contributing factor to certain reviews that aren't showing much interest in the show.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-05-31 at 02:28.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 07:11   Link #1886
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
does anyone know what the figurines in konata's room are?

btw...
Quote:
Well, stuff like the Top o Nerae! Gunbuster references, and the Star cruiser Yamato joke in ep4 are probably not gonna go well with everyone, especially the younger crowd.
when was there a gunbuster reference? me didnt notice...

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2007-05-31 at 07:31.
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 09:16   Link #1887
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I think she's said it a few times. Or do you just mean in the intro?
In the intro. In the Kaibutsu-kun intro, after the banter, "Urasai!" is yelled out and then the theme song starts.
Old 2007-05-31, 09:20   Link #1888
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
does anyone know what the figurines in konata's room are?
It's been speculated that the one with the club is Kooh from the game PangYa.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1833
Old 2007-05-31, 12:21   Link #1889
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
when was there a gunbuster reference? me didnt notice...
The "dandandandandan" drum sound that plays every time the Comptique festival is mentioned is the music lifted from Gunbuster's entrance in episode 4 of Top of Nerae!, and they also play the OP "Fly high!" of the show when Konata imagines the dentist with cute nurse and Exelion in the background.
Old 2007-05-31, 12:56   Link #1890
JediNight
キズランダム

Anyone whose interested, if it hasn't been mentioned yet:
http://lantis-net.com/rakisuta/backnumber/radio.html

Link to the Lucky Channel radio show. I couldn't get it working atm, but it may just be a problem on my end. Anyone else able to play them, or do they block anyone outside of Japan maybe?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 14:49   Link #1891
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Anyone whose interested, if it hasn't been mentioned yet:
http://lantis-net.com/rakisuta/backnumber/radio.html

Link to the Lucky Channel radio show. I couldn't get it working atm, but it may just be a problem on my end. Anyone else able to play them, or do they block anyone outside of Japan maybe?
I doubt they block anyone outside of Japan... I mean, how many people overseas are even aware they have radio shows for popular anime? And how many people who are interested in the shows are able to understand what they're saying?

(Actually, I don't understand much, but I've been downloading segments of the Utawarerumono radio show... good stuff, good stuff. "MOU!!" )

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-31 at 19:08.
Old 2007-05-31, 16:55   Link #1892
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're not blocking.. but they're using some damned DRM crap on the WMP side that breaks it because their license server isn't answering before it times out.

Perhaps the Real side works better. Stupid DRM crap ... makes no sense to DRM a radio show for the sake of Shoggoth.
Old 2007-05-31, 22:03   Link #1893
aorta

the realplayer version works fine for me (in the US)
Old 2007-06-03, 15:12   Link #1894
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Started watching WinD's subs... IMO, they're well worth the wait. I like the style of the subs and the color (they're nice and easy to read), and I really like that they tuck translation notes neatly at the top without being over-excessive about them. They don't grab too much attention or distract from the actual episode itself... I also like that they're not translating words that don't *really* translate, like "gochisousama", for example. It's obvious they do a ton of research, too.

My only real complaint is that the text is kind of floating far up from the bottom... it's not a problem during Lucky Channel, but it is during parts such as this one. I know no matter what the sub group, with the way L*S is, subtitles are inevitably going to cover some key parts, but it feels like WinD's is a bit *too* high.

I'm also a little confused at the inconsistency of the translations when Kona is mumbling while playing her game during Golden Week... if I remember right, one group didn't translate it at all, another group mentioned her obtaining a loincloth, and now... there's no mention of her obtaining anything in WinD's version (I was really looking for the loincloth bit ).

What's got me squirming with delight right now is their note in episode 2 about Tsukasa's grade....

I've also been keeping track of the number of times we see each of the girls with something in their mouths... will get back to that once I'm caught up, keke.
Old 2007-06-03, 18:38   Link #1895
aorta

One of the problems with any subs on the bottom is that they end up covering Konata's head in some shots.
Old 2007-06-03, 21:12   Link #1896
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

This week`s Lucky Channel was just fucking scary...

Spoiler:
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 21:20   Link #1897
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-03, 21:34   Link #1898
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post

Spoiler:
Actually, her extreme "habit" was hinted at within the first three LCs, though I am not sure which one...
Old 2007-06-05, 11:08   Link #1899
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Though really loved the adorable sequence in the actual episode where:
Spoiler:
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-05, 12:08   Link #1900
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Started watching WinD's subs... IMO, they're well worth the wait. I like the style of the subs and the color (they're nice and easy to read), and I really like that they tuck translation notes neatly at the top without being over-excessive about them. They don't grab too much attention or distract from the actual episode itself... I also like that they're not translating words that don't *really* translate, like "gochisousama", for example. It's obvious they do a ton of research, too.

My only real complaint is that the text is kind of floating far up from the bottom... it's not a problem during Lucky Channel, but it is during parts such as this one. I know no matter what the sub group, with the way L*S is, subtitles are inevitably going to cover some key parts, but it feels like WinD's is a bit *too* high.

I'm also a little confused at the inconsistency of the translations when Kona is mumbling while playing her game during Golden Week... if I remember right, one group didn't translate it at all, another group mentioned her obtaining a loincloth, and now... there's no mention of her obtaining anything in WinD's version (I was really looking for the loincloth bit ).

What's got me squirming with delight right now is their note in episode 2 about Tsukasa's grade....

I've also been keeping track of the number of times we see each of the girls with something in their mouths... will get back to that once I'm caught up, keke.
Kagami definitely spends a lot of time with something in her mouth (pocky, pens, chopstix, etc). I suppose one could psycho-analyze that...

The variance in translations is problematic to me. Usually I'm mulling over the *shading* of a phrase or the choice of an idiomatic bit or a slang term ... not wholesale differences in dialog. I end up listening to a sequence repeatedly and then consulting the manga to see what was originally intended. I'll grant translating the show isn't easy at all (particularly the Konata mumbles) but the often total lack of consensus leaves me wondering if I'm watching Lucky*Star humor or "fansub team" humor at times.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen