AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-10-31, 18:14   Link #781
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
If anyone might find this useful, there seems to be some bug when you install Intrepid over an existing installation (ie upgrade) with the NetworkManager where it keeps saying that the network is umanaged (in my case it was wireless, but seems like wired can get the same issue as well), or smt like that, open /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf for editing, and change "managed=false" to "managed=true" and restart. Hope it may be of help to some people...
The same problem appear with wired network (with Ubuntu or Kubuntu). But since I don't care/use the NetworkManager I haven't really look for a solution before Thanks a lot
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 18:19   Link #782
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Argh... My Xubuntu died on upgrade and locks at boot ... -_-' ... Guess it's reinstall now... Ah well, no worries anyway, it's through Wubi on my laptop. But I didn't expect it to fail that terribly...
Old 2008-10-31, 18:47   Link #783
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I do find the one-CD approach of Ubuntu a bit of a pain. I don't really understand why they don't distribute DVDs with all or most of the packages the way Fedora does. I'm constantly having to install things over the network like nfs-server or even Firefox and Thunderbird because they're not defaults with Kubuntu. The most obvious omission is openssh-server which is something I use every day on almost every Linux machine I manage.
Actually, the have distributed DVD images in the past, and I don't doubt they'll do it again.

Though I prefer using the network because I prefer to download ONLY what I want to install, though I somewhat sympathize with what you're saying. I just don't like systems which install EVERY DAMNED THING in the known world (Red Hat has been notorious for that in the past). Plus since I have several Ubuntu boxen locally, I have one machine running Squid with settings tweaked so that even the biggest of the big-ass .deb files I'm likely to use are cached with no problem.

Quote:
Still I might end up sticking with Ubuntu for a while after this release, at least on the desktop. I doubt I'll stop using CentOS on servers, though.
I have tried Centos myself, I didn't get much further past the filesystem selection (I tend to use XFS on all my installs). Though that's not the real reason. The net install CD expects me to already know where something is instead of offering me a choice from a list as well as a blank, even over the Internet. Fedora Core does as well. This has completely turned me off any recent Red Hat-based distro ever made. RPM does a great job of doing this as well.

All my deployed production Linux servers are Ubuntu servers. They used to be Debian, but I got tired of the long dev cycles and all the needless politicking. I have had only one major issue in all that time and that was when I upgraded an external server from Gutsy to Hardy. However, going from Hardy to Intrepid was a breeze. And I'm glad I did it early; the repos are SLASHDOTTINGLY SWAMPED right now.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-31, 23:58   Link #784
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
Actually, the have distributed DVD images in the past, and I don't doubt they'll do it again.
I thought I'd seen them with prior releases.

Quote:
The net install CD expects me to already know where something is instead of offering me a choice from a list as well as a blank, even over the Internet. Fedora Core does as well. This has completely turned me off any recent Red Hat-based distro ever made. RPM does a great job of doing this as well.
I've always just downloaded the CD images to a directory on my server that was visible with NFS. I always found installations over the network trivially easy with that method. As for RPM, I don't have strong opinions about packaging methods. Yum has made RPMs pretty manageable. I will say that apt-get seems faster at resolving dependencies though. But then I like those big-ass installations so dependencies are less of an issue
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 00:44   Link #785
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Buenos Aires 8.10 Release Party pictures! Whee!

Spoiler for So many people:

Spoiler for The organizing team, which I'm proud to have been part of:

Spoiler for Laughs and chatter during the presentation:

Spoiler for I'm a very happy guy :D:

Spoiler for Awesome banner:

Spoiler for We had all sorts of attendees:

Spoiler for Relaxed chatting outside the bar:

Spoiler for Final group picture:

As you can clearly see in the pictures, the fact that I was laughing and smiling in all of them means I had a hell of a great time. I'm very proud to be part of this community, and I give thanks to Linux and all the Free Software community for having given me the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-11-01 at 00:56.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-01, 19:19   Link #786
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Glad to see you still have the hair... there's so few of us LOTR escapees left

I went ahead and ordered my disks .... going to see how my little goblin band of computers deal with it since I'm rebuilding my home network anyway.
Old 2008-11-01, 20:13   Link #787
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Gah... Kubuntu 8.10 is made of fail. Adept 3.0 sucks so terribly it's insane it's in a normal release. First kernel update made Kubuntu unbootable... O_o Ok, is it me or do Ubuntu people hate KDE or something? I'm probably going to downgrade to Xubuntu 8.04 on my laptop cause there's something wrong with the dual monitor configuration in Xubuntu 8.10 which was ok in 8.04 (or if it's supposedly fixed now, I want the old behavior back).

Only thing that actually works mostly is Ubuntu 8.10, which does feel like an improvement. Oh well...
Old 2008-11-01, 20:17   Link #788
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've always just downloaded the CD images to a directory on my server that was visible with NFS. I always found installations over the network trivially easy with that method.
I find nothing trivial about downloading six CD images' worth of stuff for a distribution I'm only going to use very briefly to test something.

In the case of what I was working on, I got done what I needed to do with Fedora. The next thing I'm doing with the drive that has the install on it is to wipe it.

Quote:
As for RPM, I don't have strong opinions about packaging methods. Yum has made RPMs pretty manageable. I will say that apt-get seems faster at resolving dependencies though. But then I like those big-ass installations so dependencies are less of an issue :)
I, on the other hand, do have some opinions. I find RPM to be the most useless format out there.

In an emergency, RPM files cannot be broken open with "regular" Unix tools (and in this context, RPM does NOT count, not even rpm2cpio). With .deb files, all you need is ar(1) (from binutils), tar(1) and gzip(1). That helped enormously when I had a problem with the box which needed upgrading.

As for YUM, I found it annoyingly slow, and apt-rpm, while it made dealing with my Fedora setup easier, was not much better. APT on an Ubuntu system was a lot faster on even a Pentium III 600, the machine I used as a hackbox.

When I was doing some testing on NetBSD's pkgsrc collection, I installed Fedora solely to isolate whether there were any distribution-related problems. The netinstall was amazingly frustrating. I had to know beforehand a URL for a Fedora mirror to enter into a blank. I was never even given a helping hand, like a preset repository, like what Debian and Ubuntu have or even a format suggestion.

Once I got THAT working, I told Anaconda NOT to install X and GNOME during the initial setup when I booted the CD. What happened was it installed X and GNOME anyway. I wanted a text-only install, and I only wanted text-only stuff. I got that and more stuff I never wanted.

The first boot, it runs the first-run part, verifying basic settings, like network and such. After the first boot finishes running, I find that the network wasn't working right. The ethernet interface was configured up, but there was no default route. One reboot later, the network setup was NOT working at all, not even turned up. However, an /etc/init.d/network start fixed that.

This entire process happened not only once but TWICE (two different installs; the second on a drive that was bigger to accommodate more RPMs for an apt-get upgrade or a yum update or whatever it is; I never did the upgrade; it kept throwing errors, so I'm not even going to bother diagnosing it because the drive's getting wiped anyway).

In summary, I am very frustrated with Fedora and the way I wanted to try installing and using it. I somehow feel that CentOS and RHEL will be no different. I have never liked Red Hat's propensity to install just about EVERYTHING and more that I don't want or need. And I do not like the fact that Red Hat continues to use Sendmail as its default MTA, something I find to be even more distressing, given Sendmail's long, illustrious and, might I add, notoriously bad security track record.

Not to mention, I don't like dealing with RPM to begin with, which alone drives me away from a LOT of distributions.

On a more positive note, Red Hat has finally gotten its act together, turning off most services which do not need to be on for an initial install (they had been on in the past, opening the machine up to a wide variety of exploits). That alone is a major improvement.

Put very simply, my recent experience with Fedora has reinforced the fact that I intensely dislike working on Red Hat and Red Hat-based systems. All of my experiences have been very bad. Maybe I don't understand the design philosophy, though one thing is certain: I do not AGREE with it.

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: Please bear in mind that I'm only stating my opinion. I'm just saying what does or does not work for me. As the old cliche goes, Your Mileage May Vary(R).

--Ian.

Last edited by IRJustman; 2008-11-01 at 21:00.
Old 2008-11-01, 21:25   Link #789
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds like nothing has changed since I went jogging away from Fedora/Redhat some years ago (sigh) for many of the same reasons.

I'll certainly admit I've gotten lazy in that Ubuntu just works for me...(course, I've not gotten 8.10 yet.... :P)
Old 2008-11-04, 02:08   Link #790
mg1942

Does anyone here use BCWipe on linux/ubuntu?

Ubuntu is good so far, but I can't use this OS if there's no 3rd party software that *securely shreds* files, free disk space, Swap File, Empty Directory Entries, and (Wipe) File Slacks, etc.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 02:40   Link #791
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might browse Sourceforge .... the only tools I have are for blasting entire hard drives or flash drives.
Old 2008-11-04, 07:55   Link #792
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

@martino - for networking check that the file

/etc/network/interfaces

only contains the loopback lines ie:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Just found a slight issue with my install, my Syntek webcam no longer works *sniffle*
Old 2008-11-04, 19:19   Link #793
mg1942

Does current linux/ubuntu support SSD drives? If I'm gonna go 100% ubuntu, my main internal storage will be SSD.
Old 2008-11-04, 21:17   Link #794
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
@martino - for networking check that the file

/etc/network/interfaces

only contains the loopback lines ie:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Just found a slight issue with my install, my Syntek webcam no longer works *sniffle*
Hmmm... It doesn't, although after the latest software update I've no longer been getting disconnects with WLAN. I probably won't try to touch anything, unless it stops working again at some point.

Anyone else tried the wobbly windows effect in KDE4? I'm finding it rather addictive, even though I've never been a big fan of eyecandy effects. It also makes me feel dizzy after a while... I think I'll have to switch it off for productivity and health reasons.
Old 2008-11-05, 08:57   Link #795
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Anyone else tried the wobbly windows effect in KDE4? I'm finding it rather addictive, even though I've never been a big fan of eyecandy effects. It also makes me feel dizzy after a while... I think I'll have to switch it off for productivity and health reasons.
The two main things (in gnome, but I am pretty sure they work in kde too) to install for eyecandyness is:

compizconfig-settings-manager
this allows you to customise compiz

fusion-icon
this slaps a icon in the notification area and allows you to turn it on and off, you can also turn it on and off at the cli using:
metacity --replace <- you will need to replace metacity with the kde equivalent
compiz --replace gconf

@mg1942
I'm using 8.10 (also 8.04 and 7.10) with my EeePC 901 using its slow ssd and it works fine
Old 2008-11-05, 10:35   Link #796
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

In KDE 4, kwin comes integrated with composite effects... so theoretically Compiz isn't necessary (unless you want more flashy effects).

Old 2008-11-07, 14:38   Link #797
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Does current linux/ubuntu support SSD drives? If I'm gonna go 100% ubuntu, my main internal storage will be SSD.
If they are IDE or Serial ATA devices, then yes, you should use them just fine. System sees it as just another fixed disk drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
In KDE 4, kwin comes integrated with composite effects... so theoretically Compiz isn't necessary (unless you want more flashy effects).
Is there a way to turn those off? I really dislike eye candy. My machine needs to WORK first and foremost, not look pretty. (On XP and Vista installs, first thing I do is set the "Windows Classic" theme because XP's default theme looks goofy, while Vista's looks like someone threw up on it, and I think Aero is a complete waste of system resources.)

--Ian.
Old 2008-11-07, 20:14   Link #798
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Is there a way to turn those off? I really dislike eye candy.
Yeah (I dislike eye candy, too), but it's kinda hidden among the preferences. You would think it's under "Appearance" but it's actually under "Desktop" in the system settings app.

Old 2008-11-11, 19:16   Link #799
mg1942

Just tinkered with ubuntu. I highly recommend using this with (Windows) Vista fonts!
Old 2008-11-13, 22:04   Link #800
mg1942

My desktop font is lookin' good with vista fonts, but fonts in firefox linux looks terrible! I tried to change it but it's too small and somewhat blurry.

Tags
linux, ubuntu