AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-03-24, 02:32   Link #601
Pokaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"The Navy is pulling an M. Night Shyamalan. In a tough fight, rely on a “sixth sense,”
say its mad scientists, not just your reasoning skills. That’s the way to win wars.

Promising “new insights into intuitive decisionmaking,” the futuristic Office of Naval
Research is putting together a new program to turn what it actually calls a “sixth
sense” into a military advantage. “Evidence is accumulating that this capability,
known as intuition or intuitive decision making,” the scientists say in a new
proposal, “enables the rapid detection of patterns in ambiguous, uncertain and time
restricted information contexts.” Mastering with intuition, the Navy says, should help
troops with “Cyberwarfare, Unmanned System Operators, Information Analysts,
Small Unit Leaders and other domains.”"

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012...y-sixth-sense/
I feel that this is too unreliable.
If it can be used during actual combat then sure, I will even applaud them for that. But cyperwarfare and information analysis...? Can you even use your intuition to analyze something?
Pokaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 03:16   Link #602
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokaru View Post
I feel that this is too unreliable.
If it can be used during actual combat then sure, I will even applaud them for that. But cyperwarfare and information analysis...? Can you even use your intuition to analyze something?
Yes. It's what's called "pattern recognition." Intuition is a manifestation of this--seeing patterns, detecting unusual occurrences on a subconscious level without realizing it just yet. In hacking, cryptanalysis, fields where the individuals involved are poring over reams of data, searching for patterns, oddities, anything unusual at all, this sort of thing can be useful.
Old 2012-03-24, 20:41   Link #603
Ryusiangel

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...col;topStories i don't know if anybody posted this but here it goes something about isp to have a policing copyright
Old 2012-03-24, 21:16   Link #604
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryusiangel View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-57...col;topStories i don't know if anybody posted this but here it goes something about isp to have a policing copyright
This has already been talked about I believe... and uh, if you're concerned just use a VPN. Or don't use torrents. They can't figure out what you're downloading unless you use torrents.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:18   Link #605
Ryusiangel

what about using mirc ? i usually just get the new animes but hey i buy them when they are out they should be proud! but not like i'm concern just hope this will make companies release more anime dvds. ( i'm a big anime dvd collector)
Old 2012-03-24, 21:22   Link #606
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
what about using mirc ? i usually just get the new animes but hey i buy them when they are out they should be proud! but not like i'm concern just hope this will make companies release more anime dvds. ( i'm a big anime dvd collector)
I doubt the MPAA gives two shits about unlicensed anime (except for those studios that employ the likes of BayTSP), but if you're concerned, use a VPN.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:24   Link #607
Ryusiangel

may i ask what is a vpn
Old 2012-03-24, 21:26   Link #608
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
may i ask what is a vpn
Virtual private network. It's a method of encrypting a connection to another network over the Internet, and it ensures that the data you send or receive is secure and private.
Old 2012-03-24, 23:23   Link #609
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Virtual private network. It's a method of encrypting a connection to another network over the Internet, and it ensures that the data you send or receive is secure and private.
I take issue with recommending VPN to people who want to anonymize their downloads. Unless they're setting up their own server or using some sort of private server, most VPN services are not designed to dish out a ton of bandwidth and act as download proxies. There are a lot of other good, legitimate uses for VPN, but swamping them with bandwidth-hogging traffic will trouble other users and strain the service.

It's also false security as far as avoiding legal scrutiny. It means that the VPN service will receive the subpoena instead of you, but the VPN service knows who you are. All they have to do is give your true connection's information, and the subpoena will be redirected on to you.
Old 2012-03-25, 00:35   Link #610
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

The deal with the ISPs and the content gatekeepers is not a legal issue. It's a corporate agreement. There's no prosecution involved, and nobody's getting sued or going to jail in this "six strikes" plan. Actually, it's kind of worse--if you keep doing whatever they don't like, under this agreement, the ISP yanks your internet connection and cancels your service.

Plus, they can only legally find you if you use torrents. If you use FTP or cloud storage or any non-P2P methods, they can't find you because deep packet inspections aren't legal.
Old 2012-03-25, 08:08   Link #611
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Usenet/newsgroups are the way to go according to my friend, Ive only used them a couple times so I don't know all that much about them. But they are supposedly quite hard to track (impossible to?). But they arent exactly user friendly to casual downloaders I guess - well maybe now days they are with all these clients for them, but whatev. That an I think you need to be a member of a newsgroup to access the feeds, that means paying or if you're lucky your ISP provides one.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:44   Link #612
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
The deal with the ISPs and the content gatekeepers is not a legal issue. It's a corporate agreement. There's no prosecution involved, and nobody's getting sued or going to jail in this "six strikes" plan. Actually, it's kind of worse--if you keep doing whatever they don't like, under this agreement, the ISP yanks your internet connection and cancels your service.

Plus, they can only legally find you if you use torrents. If you use FTP or cloud storage or any non-P2P methods, they can't find you because deep packet inspections aren't legal.
I didn't read the article before replying - I saw that someone was asking about evasion of getting caught for downloading, and went from there. I haven't been following the specifics of how ISPs will be expected to catch people, either. Regardless, I still maintain that using VPN services for high-banwidth applications (such as downloading) is an abuse of those services as they are. If download-friendly VPN services start to pop up, the fine; but as they are, the services are not designed for these purposes, and their bandwidth reflects that.
Old 2012-03-25, 17:47   Link #613
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I didn't read the article before replying - I saw that someone was asking about evasion of getting caught for downloading, and went from there. I haven't been following the specifics of how ISPs will be expected to catch people, either. Regardless, I still maintain that using VPN services for high-banwidth applications (such as downloading) is an abuse of those services as they are. If download-friendly VPN services start to pop up, the fine; but as they are, the services are not designed for these purposes, and their bandwidth reflects that.
I'm not talking about Tor. I'd never advocate using Tor to warez things or download anime fansubs. Tor exists for a much more important purpose than that--and it's bandwidth should be conserved so that those who live in regressive regimes can avoid censorship and state-sponsored surveillance.

I'm talking about specific VPNs that are specifically marketed for these things. And there are lots of them. I used one myself for a few months--OpenVPN with unlimited bandwidth (though it did cap speed) for $10 per month. The site all but came out and shouted that it was trying to attract people who want to engage in "unauthorized" file-sharing.
Old 2012-03-25, 20:09   Link #614
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I'm not talking about Tor. I'd never advocate using Tor to warez things or download anime fansubs. Tor exists for a much more important purpose than that--and it's bandwidth should be conserved so that those who live in regressive regimes can avoid censorship and state-sponsored surveillance.

I'm talking about specific VPNs that are specifically marketed for these things. And there are lots of them. I used one myself for a few months--OpenVPN with unlimited bandwidth (though it did cap speed) for $10 per month. The site all but came out and shouted that it was trying to attract people who want to engage in "unauthorized" file-sharing.
I wasn't talking about Tor. Back at about five years ago the VPN services that existed were not download-oriented. If that's the way that they've directed their business, then fine - but be aware that as long as their servers have a record of your connection, you're only as anonymous as their willingness not to give up their record.
Old 2012-03-26, 18:10   Link #615
AnimeFan188

Microchipped school uniforms notify parents when kids skip school

"In Vitoria da Conquista, Brazil, 20,000 grade school students have recently started
wearing uniforms embedded with GPS chips similar to those used in pet trackers.
The chips automatically send parents a text message as soon as their children enter
the school grounds, or if their children are late for more than 20 minutes.

The microchip is embedded either under the school's coat of arms or in one of the
sleeves. According to the city's education secretary Coriolano Moraes, the local
government decided to launch the project because parents "would always be
surprised when told of the number times their children skipped class.""

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...GVzdAM-;_ylv=3
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 03:04   Link #616
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Yes. It's what's called "pattern recognition." Intuition is a manifestation of this--seeing patterns, detecting unusual occurrences on a subconscious level without realizing it just yet. In hacking, cryptanalysis, fields where the individuals involved are poring over reams of data, searching for patterns, oddities, anything unusual at all, this sort of thing can be useful.
In other words

Project: Search for Neo.

Quote:
"In Vitoria da Conquista, Brazil, 20,000 grade school students have recently started
wearing uniforms embedded with GPS chips similar to those used in pet trackers.
The chips automatically send parents a text message as soon as their children enter
the school grounds, or if their children are late for more than 20 minutes.

The microchip is embedded either under the school's coat of arms or in one of the
sleeves. According to the city's education secretary Coriolano Moraes, the local
government decided to launch the project because parents "would always be
surprised when told of the number times their children skipped class.""
It seems like this can actually be taken advantage to skip class even more effectively.
Take the chip out, pass to a friend who will take it to school with him.
After you're done, come back to school and recieve the chip back from him, go home.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:01   Link #617
AnimeFan188

Foreign spies 'penetrate' US military networks

"Security experts testifying to the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee said the
penetration was likely so complete that attempts to curb it should stop.

Instead, cyberdefence should be about protecting data not controlling access.

The experts said the US should look into ways to retaliate against nations that
had access to its networks."

See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17486847

=============================================

Has the ‘Cyber Pearl Harbor’ already happened?:

"The Russians are picking our pockets, the Chinese are stealing our most vital
secrets, and there’s nothing we can do about it – and it’s all going to get worse.

That was the basic conclusion after Friday’s Air Force Association cyber-
conference, where speaker after speaker drove home the utter futility and
helplessness of today’s cyber climate, all the while warning that the problem will
only grow.

Richard Bejtlich, chief security officer for the info-security firm Mandiant, said 100
percent of the high-profile intrusions his company tracks were done with “valid
credentials” – meaning the cyber bad-guys had been able to steal a real user’s
login and password, obviating the need for more complex attacks."

"The much-feared “Cyber Pearl Harbor” has already happened, he said. Global
cyber crime is more profitable than the drug trade. America’s onetime
technological advantage is gone; much of its intellectual property secrets have
been stolen.

“People just haven’t realized it yet,” the questioner said."

See:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/ha...eady-happened/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 00:08   Link #618
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
"Security experts testifying to the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee said the
penetration was likely so complete that attempts to curb it should stop.

Instead, cyberdefence should be about protecting data not controlling access.

The experts said the US should look into ways to retaliate against nations that
had access to its networks."

See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17486847

=============================================

Has the ‘Cyber Pearl Harbor’ already happened?:

"The Russians are picking our pockets, the Chinese are stealing our most vital
secrets, and there’s nothing we can do about it – and it’s all going to get worse.

That was the basic conclusion after Friday’s Air Force Association cyber-
conference, where speaker after speaker drove home the utter futility and
helplessness of today’s cyber climate, all the while warning that the problem will
only grow.

Richard Bejtlich, chief security officer for the info-security firm Mandiant, said 100
percent of the high-profile intrusions his company tracks were done with “valid
credentials” – meaning the cyber bad-guys had been able to steal a real user’s
login and password, obviating the need for more complex attacks."

"The much-feared “Cyber Pearl Harbor” has already happened, he said. Global
cyber crime is more profitable than the drug trade. America’s onetime
technological advantage is gone; much of its intellectual property secrets have
been stolen.

“People just haven’t realized it yet,” the questioner said."

See:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/ha...eady-happened/
Quit connecting important shit to the *public* Internet? Over and over again, companies and the government connect shit to the Internet they *never should have* either through laziness or in response to hamstrung budgets. So here we are... duh?
Old 2012-03-28, 05:00   Link #619
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Quit connecting important shit to the *public* Internet? Over and over again, companies and the government connect shit to the Internet they *never should have* either through laziness or in response to hamstrung budgets. So here we are... duh?
I think the only thing that goes through their head is "cloud computing is the in thing to attract new talents".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 07:16   Link #620
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Unreal games engine licensed to FBI and other US agencies

Now i'm interested.