AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-18, 19:15   Link #1
Qwazar

Anything GOOD left?

Seems that every anime I come across nowadays is too... anime-y. I don't watch anime to see a 14-17 year old guy mysteriously gaining attention of every woman he knows. I don't care much about some normal guy suddenly finding out that he's a superhero.

I am so god damned tired of it. Looking for something like Mushishi, Honey and Clover/ Nodame Cantabile (NOT just a random slice of life. Something really REALLY good.), hell even anything with really good, high quality humour. The Girl that LEapt through time was reasonably good in example.

I don't mind action, but I strongly doubt I haven't seen every action anime worth seeing (and far too many not worth seeing.)

I guess, in a word, I am looking for EXTREMELY good anime, say one of your favorites, BUT it also has to be different. No beach filler episodes, no harems, hell, I don't even think I want to see any more fanservice.

TL;DR: Looking for an anime for a person that's tired of anime. Make it good.
Old 2008-11-18, 19:38   Link #2
jedinat

Juuni Kokuki - a great fantasy anime, epic in every sense of the word
Haibane Renmei - a great fanciful slice-of-life/emotional/psychological/drama/whatever you want to call it
Kino no Tabi - a nice traveling anime sort of like but completely unlike Mushishi
Aria the Animation/Natural/Origination - really good slice-of-life, especially starting with Natural
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu - really good humor... zany, hilarious, weird.

If you've missed any of those, I think you've got a long way to go before you lump all anime in with Bleach and Kanokan.
Old 2008-11-18, 19:41   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
I am so god damned tired of it. Looking for something like Mushishi, Honey and Clover/ Nodame Cantabile (NOT just a random slice of life. Something really REALLY good.), hell even anything with really good, high quality humour. The Girl that LEapt through time was reasonably good in example.
You remind me of....myself. A lot.

Anyways, if you haven't already, Studio Ghibli films are spectacular and definitely not run of the mill. For slice of life, Whisper of the Heart is my personal favourite. But almost all of them are far better than run of the mill anime which are so popular these days.

For series, a personal favourite of mine is Maison Ikkoku. It is a classic, but very long. Also, at times, it contains elements of the undesirable traits you mentioned, however, in the end, it is a very satisfying, mature anime that you won't find much like these days if you stick with it until it hits its stride. If you're tired of anime, look towards the classics, that's what I did.

Otherwise...I also heavily dislike the repetitive anime formula as well, so I will list some anime that I find worth watching:
Kare Kano (School romance, the only one that I really enjoy)
Saikano (tragic sort, feels melodramatic at times but it is effective)
Haibane Reinmei
"Now and the, Here and There"
AIR TV
Elfen Lied (unfortunately has a lot of fanservice, though some would argue on that one, but it is quite good)
Old 2008-11-18, 20:17   Link #4
Qwazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
You remind me of....myself. A lot.

Anyways, if you haven't already, Studio Ghibli films are spectacular and definitely not run of the mill. For slice of life, Whisper of the Heart is my personal favourite. But almost all of them are far better than run of the mill anime which are so popular these days.

For series, a personal favourite of mine is Maison Ikkoku. It is a classic, but very long. Also, at times, it contains elements of the undesirable traits you mentioned, however, in the end, it is a very satisfying, mature anime that you won't find much like these days if you stick with it until it hits its stride. If you're tired of anime, look towards the classics, that's what I did.

Otherwise...I also heavily dislike the repetitive anime formula as well, so I will list some anime that I find worth watching:
Kare Kano (School romance, the only one that I really enjoy)
Saikano (tragic sort, feels melodramatic at times but it is effective)
Haibane Reinmei
"Now and the, Here and There"
AIR TV
Elfen Lied (unfortunately has a lot of fanservice, though some would argue on that one, but it is quite good)
Haha, seen ALL of the animes you suggested, some of them my favorites. Looking into jedinat's suggestions.
Old 2008-11-18, 20:20   Link #5
Croix

Here are my recommendations of the most recent anime that has fallen into my favorite category...

-Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden (Strongly recommended)
-Casshern SINS

Recommendations of the more classical ones perhaps you might find some liking...

-Genocyber
-M.D. Geist I & II
-Ergo Proxy
-Cybernectic Guardian
-Demon City Shinjuku
-Devilman
-Violent Jack
-Macross series
Old 2008-11-18, 20:22   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

Make it good, huh? This is going to be tough, but I will try...

Aria the Origination: slice of life
True Tears: romance + slice of life

If looking for action-packed..

Black Lagoon: better to watch both seasons
Blood+: from Okinawa to Europe on issues related to man-made vampires
Persona: Trinity Soul: best watched when audience have no previous knowledge of the games
Real Drive: sci-fi without mecha and centralizes on a slice of life theme
Shigofumi: another slice of life with relations to the supernatural
Yakushiji Ryoko: the protagonist's perspective is mainly against the Defense Ministry of Japan and also "amakudari" bureaucrats, but the anime is more sci-fi than political

These few anime are worth your time, but it is actually quite long..
Old 2008-11-18, 22:25   Link #7
LeoXiao
思想工作

Aha! You have have a very good request! A normal anime-viewer would not be able to come up with such a question!

Watch: Monster (74-episodes but superb), and Ghost in the Shell (though you've prolly already seen it)
Old 2008-11-18, 22:57   Link #8
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Haha, seen ALL of the animes you suggested, some of them my favorites.
In that case...I second the "True Tears" recommendation. It isn't groundbreaking in any way, but it is much better than the usual stuff you see....;

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-11-18, 23:43   Link #9
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I guess, in a word, I am looking for EXTREMELY good anime, say one of your favorites, BUT it also has to be different. No beach filler episodes, no harems, hell, I don't even think I want to see any more fanservice.
Perhaps you could start by telling us what you've seen before. Saves us the trouble of recommending something you've already watched.

Older anime that aren't run-of-the-mill include:

1) Wolf's Rain

2) Texhnolyze

3) Red Garden

4) Kemonozume

More recent ones (as of 2007 onwards) include:

5) Seirei no Moribito
Spoiler for Spear fighting:

6) Dennou Coil

7) Mononoke

8) Moyashimon
Spoiler for Cute germs:

9) Kurenai
Spoiler for Broadway gone very wrong:

10) Kaiba
Spoiler for Guy with a hole in his chest:

In short, there are quite a few hidden gems out there. If everyone knew about them, they wouldn't be "hidden", now would they?
Old 2008-11-19, 00:24   Link #10
anime543211

welcome to nhk - very well done. funny and brutal at the same time.

nana - id say this is one of the best adult drama/comedies ever that noone mentions (its quite sad so be warned)
Old 2008-11-19, 04:14   Link #11
signorRossi

From the animes mentioned I can second without hesitation Mononoke and its' predecessor Ayakashi (cannot recommend this enough lately it seems), Denno Coil (anime about school children, but besides not being childish at all has production/story-flow/consistency qualities that most latest even good rated animes don't care about all), Kemonozume (once you get used to the animation the atmosphere it creates is great), Seirei no Moribito (nice folk-tale inspired story and good execution) and finally Monster (how the hell is it possible that you don't get bored by a 74 episode anime?).
I liked Juuni Kokuki a lot too, but it is incomplete and that somehow can be a big let-down to others.
Then you could try some of the Satoshi Kon works too, with Tokyo Godfathers very, very funny and Millennium Actress well suited for a movie freak. My last recommendation will be Jin Roh, a very dark and in some scenes very shocking anime, just don't try to interpret to many things into it.
Oh my, forgot one of my fav funny animes, namely the 1978 classic Lupin and the Castle of Cagliostro, which is really well done.

SignorRossi.
Old 2008-11-19, 05:33   Link #12
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

I have the same problems you have. One really good anime that went above and beyond for me in greatness was Welcome to the NHK

It is a anime about a man in his early twenties that really had no friends in HS and blew all him extra ciricular time in the "Litterature club" after school playing cards with the litterature club owner, a female who was also bored. Wont get to in depth but it takes place in his twenties, obviously after graduation, and he has become a "NEET" or "Hikkimouri" Aka: Recluse. And has some issues in fearing "A conspiracy" And the entire show is cleverly wrapped around his mysters and how he even began to think the way he did.

Overall the touching is amazingly funny at parts, and touching in others, there is a pretty good romance that goes on in it, and you dont half to worry about whether you watch in english dubs or jap subs, both are good. The english voice actor for the main character is the guy who plays sasuke in FMP, which many people like. The anime is great, and it has alot of humor, but at the same time, it touches base with alot of problems some people suffer through in reality.

Not to mention the art direction and character design in pretty unique and a nice change of pace from your typical "KAWAI EXPLOSION OD OVERKILL-DESU NESS" fruity rainbow color animation.

Also if you dont like robot/sport mix anime things. I used to personally think it was kinda weird and didnt watch it when i first heard about it on toonami. But then i looked it up a few years later on the net, and its so unique that you cant help but love it. The anime is called Immortal Grand Prix, or IGPX
Old 2008-11-19, 08:30   Link #13
Coruja

Well, you also have
Minami-ke (one of my favourite slice-of-life anime ever)
Even if you don't like the superhero thing, and I don't like that either, you should check out (if you haven't already) Death Note, it deals with supernatural powers but it's a pretty intelligent thriller first and foremost.
Old 2008-11-20, 02:33   Link #14
mit7059

Sounds like exactly what I'm going through, after Honey & Clover I just can't watch most of the stereotypical series. I would suggest:
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad - very good, rather upbeat and leaves you with a great taste in your mouth. I ended up watching the entire series in one day.
Ookiku Furikabutte: Don't dismiss it because it's sports, it's excellent and it doesn't have any of the ridiculous power up crap that dominates most sports stories. It's actually very realistic and delves deeply in the players doubts and relationships. Please go check it out - you won't be disappointed.
Planetes - sorta reminds me of Honey & Clover in a way, certainly not a stereotypical anime romance
True Tears- seconding this, as said above nothing groundbreaking just very well done

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2008-11-20, 18:30   Link #15
Qwazar

Thanks for the suggestions! Seen most of them, but think I'll be able to scramble up something good.
Old 2008-11-21, 22:25   Link #16
Troilism

Oh Edo Rocket!
Noein
Kamichu!
Amatsuki
Natsume Yuujinchou
XXXholic (both seasons, though season 2 is the better one imo)
Real Drive

Just a couple from the top of my head. ALL of these are good titles to check out. Warning on Natsume though, it takes an episode or 2 to get started. The stories are all very good and touching though.

Real Drive is also a bit slow I guess, but imo it was paced pretty well. I like slow moving series' and this one has some very interesting characters and an interesting premise....episode 13 was just godly good.

If you want me to pick out something you NEED to see out of all that though...Probably either Noein or Amatsuki. Amatsuki is AMAZING. The only problem is that it NEEDS a second season. The final episode is one of the only final episodes that leaves things on a cliffhanger, but still manages to be awesome.
Old 2008-11-22, 00:01   Link #17
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

xam'd: lost memories sucks me in, it is still continuing, go watch it
Old 2008-11-22, 00:43   Link #18
Ermes Marana

Ten of the best, not typical anime:

Future Boy Conan
Master Keaton
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Princess Tutu
Kaleido Star
Tsukikage Ran
Monster
Kare Kano
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue
Old 2008-11-22, 01:42   Link #19
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazar View Post
TL;DR: Looking for an anime for a person that's tired of anime. Make it good.
Series I remember as my anime survival kit, beside some already mentioned:

Samurai Champloo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Gintama
Cromartie High School
Hanada Shonen-shi

They all contain specific humor, or humor of their own, ranging from crazy comedy to bizarre parody

(Well, you already have pretty nice suggestions if these do not work for you).
Old 2008-11-22, 02:14   Link #20
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Now and Then,Here and There

Bokurano

Genshiken

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Closed Thread