cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Low on Manga- help please!

I seem to have run into a manga dry spell recently. I'm finished with:
Chobits
Psychic academy
Full metal panic overload
Ragnarok
and caught up with Chibi Vampire (I pre-ordered #4). I really hated buying Psychic academy because of all the fanservice, but the story line was good when it wasn't perverted ( although buying number eleven was awkward ) and don't let chobits fool you, I'm not a fan of romance, but that was Ok, because of Hideki's awkwardness. I'm also borrowing death note and Sakura Taisen from friends. Again, I'm NOT a fan of romance or drama (or hentai in manga), but I can tolerate it in small amounts. Any suggestions?
Old 2007-03-31, 00:39   Link #2
jedinat

Ranma 1/2 - classic gender bending silliness
Battle Angel Alita - sci-fi action
Rurouni Kenshin - shounen samurai action
Inuyasha - quite good up until the point you get sick of it

Edit:
The ending of Alita sucks very bad. Some crap romantic junk if I remember correctly. (I'm all for romance... but not in a manga like Alita, with such a protagonist) Anyways, the sequel series, Last Order, completely throws out that ending. So don't let it discourage you if you decide to read it.

These are some common manga that I see available for purchase in english. There are a lot of scanlated ones I enjoy, but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by jedinat; 2007-03-31 at 00:54.
Old 2007-03-31, 22:58   Link #3
Biswa

I'm not sure exactly what kind of manga you're looking for, but there are a few manga that i have read and can suggest: To make it simple, im only going to suggest complete ones so you don't go crazy.

20th Century Boys - A pretty cool mystery type of manga (by the guy who made Monster, if you know about it). If you like Death Note, you'll like this
Monster - err I should have mentioned this first, but im too lazy to move this text up. hahahahah
Black Cat -- good action manga, with pretty interesting characters. The only thing is it has the many combined features of cliched characters/situations.
and
GTO manga - funny, wouldn't be surprised if you've read/seen it already.

These are just the more popular ones, since you didn't really specify a genre. And I actually haven't really read a lot of the manga you've listed. Hahahha uh oh, maybe i shouldn't be suggesting huh?
Old 2007-03-31, 23:56   Link #4
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biswa View Post
I'm not sure exactly what kind of manga you're looking for, but there are a few manga that i have read and can suggest: To make it simple, im only going to suggest complete ones so you don't go crazy.

20th Century Boys
Monster- err I should have mentioned this first, but im too lazy to move this text up. hahahahah
Black Cat-- good action manga, with pretty interesting characters. The only thing is it has the many combined features of cliched characters/situations.
and
GTO manga - funny, wouldn't be surprised if you've read/seen it already.

These are just the more popular ones, since you didn't really specify a genre. And I actually haven't really read a lot of the manga you've listed. Hahahha uh oh, maybe i shouldn't be suggesting huh?
You hit on some good stuff there, Biswa. I saw the GTO anime and loved it, but the manga is almost as long as freakin' Inuyasha (I like 'em good and short). I had planned on buying te Black Cat anime when they finish dubbing it, so is the manga any different? And as for Monster, the mature age rating makes me nervous; I still feel burned after Psychic Academy, and that was only rated teen... Except for the last one . But, for not having read the manga I have, you still managed to hit the nail on the head. thanks.

And I guess I should give a genre too: Action, and comedy are what I normally go for.
Closed Thread