AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-16, 22:59   Link #2381
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

February 2010 Newtype.

Sheryl at #7 surrounded by moeblobs including Ranka at #9, and Alto actually makes the dood list at #10.

Old 2011-01-16, 23:03   Link #2382
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

And Macross F has fallen from #4 to #16 on the series list...
Old 2011-01-17, 11:38   Link #2383
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Still no Lacus

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-01-18, 02:46   Link #2384
moncikoma

she always at number 7....same picture...also
Old 2011-01-18, 20:21   Link #2385
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Still no Lacus

- Tak
seriously. wtf.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-02-07, 08:54   Link #2386
winter91

Anyone knows whats the name of that orange heart thing with the butterfly sheryl has as her emblem ? XD ive been looking for that pic of the butterfly/heart thing but cant seems to find it <3<3<3 Sheryl FTW ! XD
Old 2011-02-07, 23:25   Link #2387
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter91 View Post
Anyone knows whats the name of that orange heart thing with the butterfly sheryl has as her emblem ? XD ive been looking for that pic of the butterfly/heart thing but cant seems to find it <3<3<3 Sheryl FTW ! XD
"totsugeki love hearto!!", said ozma
Old 2011-02-17, 18:25   Link #2388
Darthtabby

I'd recently been reminded of a Sheryl related issue I thought might be worth discussing.

I really like Sheryl, but there's something about her storyline that bugs me, and that's her relationship with Grace. Supposedly Grace picked Sheryl up on the streets of Galaxy when she was very young. Presumably she was also heavily involved in Sheryl's upbringing. Problem is, the two of them don't interact as if that's the case. Even if it wasn't a close relationship I'd think there ought to be some reflection of the fact that there was one. (And while I don't know how accurate TV Tropes is, supposedly the drama CDs indicate that Grace ended up being fond enough of Sheryl that she had to rewrite her personality to delete those feelings.)
Old 2011-02-17, 18:51   Link #2389
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'd recently been reminded of a Sheryl related issue I thought might be worth discussing.

I really like Sheryl, but there's something about her storyline that bugs me, and that's her relationship with Grace. Supposedly Grace picked Sheryl up on the streets of Galaxy when she was very young. Presumably she was also heavily involved in Sheryl's upbringing. Problem is, the two of them don't interact as if that's the case. Even if it wasn't a close relationship I'd think there ought to be some reflection of the fact that there was one. (And while I don't know how accurate TV Tropes is, supposedly the drama CDs indicate that Grace ended up being fond enough of Sheryl that she had to rewrite her personality to delete those feelings.)
Well, my point of view:

Grace's intended to use Sheryl as a tool to begin with, so naturally she would keep her distance and avert getting too personal. Inevitably, with whatever little humanity Grace has remaining, she eventually developed some feelings for Sheryl (though to what extent we do not know), which Grace thought was a hinderance to her plans. Thus Grace thought the obvious course of action was to delete those feelings.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-02-17, 23:21   Link #2390
Darthtabby

Oh I get that part. The problem I have is more how Sheryl acts around Grace. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions in thinking that Grace basically raised Sheryl, perhaps that task was given to someone else. But someone obviously had to take care of her because at that age she wasn't in a position to do it herself (at least not properly). So it kind of bothers me that Sheryl doesn't really act like Grace is someone who was involved in her upbringing. I would think even if it was a very distant relationship there would be some indication in the way they interact.

On a vaguely related note, TV Tropes also indicates that Grace manipulated events to put Sheryl in the position she was in when Grace picked her up in the first place. Again, don't know if what it said was one hundred percent accurate but it's certainly an interesting take on events.
Old 2011-02-18, 01:05   Link #2391
inyang86

Quote:
Oh I get that part. The problem I have is more how Sheryl acts around Grace. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions in thinking that Grace basically raised Sheryl, perhaps that task was given to someone else. But someone obviously had to take care of her because at that age she wasn't in a position to do it herself (at least not properly). So it kind of bothers me that Sheryl doesn't really act like Grace is someone who was involved in her upbringing. I would think even if it was a very distant relationship there would be some indication in the way they interact.

On a vaguely related note, TV Tropes also indicates that Grace manipulated events to put Sheryl in the position she was in when Grace picked her up in the first place. Again, don't know if what it said was one hundred percent accurate but it's certainly an interesting take on events.

Actually, I think the relationship between Sheryl and Grace is very profound. Not as evident as Sheryl and Alto, but once you catch the nuance it's very hard to ignore...
We have this typical parent-child relationship with Ozma and Ranka. Ozma protects Ranka, he loves her, cuddles her, spoils her. But it's different with Sheryl and Grace. You can't imagine Grace spoliling Sheryl, can you? Grace might have provided Sheryl with shelter, clothing and food. But I don't think Grace gave her parental love. I mean, she's basically a mad scientist, capable of sacrificing almost anything for her research. Grace isn't the type to love, make family and raise children. The bond between Sheryl and Grace is more of a sisterhood thing. Grace is the big sister, competent and hard working, very focused on her goals.... yes she's a villian, but I think Grace was kind of a role model for Sheryl while growing up. Sheryl is the little sister who respect her big sister, following the way Grace holds herself, picking up the way how Grace puts on her make-up, maybe wearing her perfume secretly from time to time, things like that.
So, Sheryl doesn't think Grace as her parent, nor does she act as such. She's cheeky from time to time, causing Grace troubles, but there's always faith underneath that her big sister will just laugh it out. Like how Grace came to Sheryl's aid just in time in episode 3, and the way they smiled at each other.(Or how Sheryl smiled at Grace...)
Old 2011-02-18, 04:00   Link #2392
magnuskn

Quote:
Well, I see where you are coming from. My thought is that Grace raised Sheryl with some emotional distance, which played itself out in the somewhat professional air the two were treating each other. Sheryls work ethos may have come a lot from how Grace treated her since picking her up from the streets. In the beginning of the series, we know that Sheryl was quite arrogant with her own success, so she treated Grace as more of an employee... after years of being managed by her, that could easily be explained as some sort of pushback reaction.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was in the light novels or one of the audio thingamabobs, but, yes, it is made clear somewhere that Grace was a member of the cabal for a long time and they had Sheryls parents murdered. I am not 100% sure if Grace made that decision, but given how crazy she was and how much she wanted revenge against Ranshe and Mao, I think it is pretty likely that she did indeed give the orders.
Old 2011-02-19, 02:45   Link #2393
Darthtabby

Interesting theories guys. I'm not sure at this point if I necessarily agree with them, but I definitely find them worth considering.
Old 2011-02-27, 06:33   Link #2394
raimuz

Spoiler for major movie 2 spoilers...:

Last edited by james0246; 2011-02-27 at 10:04.
Old 2011-02-27, 06:55   Link #2395
magnuskn

Spoiler for spoiler:

You might want to spoilerize that up, unless you fancy getting your own head bitten off very soon.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:26   Link #2396
moncikoma

agree....and .i am the VICTIM here...twice!
so any luck finding the newtype pool?

i hope sheryl raise on top this year
please o please! ... she already hurt so much...it would be cruel not to let her on a top...at least..2nd...
same goes with the missing guy
Old 2011-03-05, 15:41   Link #2397
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Any new Newtype polls been posted for March or April?
Old 2011-03-05, 16:40   Link #2398
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Any new Newtype polls been posted for March or April?
March Polls

1. Saber
2. Hirasawa Yui
3. Akiyama Mio
4. Sheryl Nome
5. Ryogi Shiki
6. Misaka Mikoto
7. Kuroneko
8. Ranka Lee
9. Ika Musume
10. Kosaka Kirino
Old 2011-03-05, 17:08   Link #2399
Thess

Saber is winning! I'm pleased.

But it disappoints me to see Ranka on 8, she should be behind Sheryl.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-06, 00:27   Link #2400
MisaHayase

MACROSS ACE

TOP 5

There is no reference to publication of the magazine, the forum where it was posted.
The news was posted in early February/2011

Tags
characters