AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-11-03, 05:54   Link #4341
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

It's a worrying state of affairs that if McCain wins and dies, THIS is what takes his place.

Forrest Gump is a MENSA elite next to this woman.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 06:36   Link #4342
solomon

Im no fan of Palin, but she didnt say anything about like going to war with Iran specifically. She's talking about the "War against Terror/Islamic Extremism" and Iran is in that paradigm.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 07:31   Link #4343
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's a gaffe. I think we're used to those from Palin. At least she's actually putting together complete sentences now.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 09:24   Link #4344
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The most decisive election at the moment could be the race in Minnesota between former Saturday Night Live writer/performer Al Franken and incumbent Republican senator Norm Coleman. The Democrats are close to a "filibuster-proof" majority of sixty seats in the Senate, especially since they're likely to pick up Alaska after the Stevens conviction and oust Liddy Dole from her seat in North Carolina. The MN race is complicated by the presence of a third-party candidate who consistently gets about 10% in polls.

The other important Senate race could be in Georgia, where Republican incumbent Saxbe Chambliss holds a slight lead over his Democratic challenger Jim Martin. Presidential "coattails" could play a role in Georgia where the Obama campaign has mobilized thousands of new voters. These people are probably much less likely to show up in polling data and will almost certainly split in favor of the Democrats.

Any sixty-seat model relies on former Democrat, now "independent," Joe Lieberman from Connecticut. It would be ironic indeed if the man who spoke at the Republican National Convention in favor of John McCain ends up casting the decisive vote with the Democrats to end Republican filibustering of Supreme Court nominees. (I fully expect to see some of the "liberals" on the Court retire if Obama is elected; Stevens and Ginsberg in particular. The conservative wing is relatively much younger and less like to retire if the Democrats hold the Oval Office and the Senate.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 12:29   Link #4345
Daggett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Liberals, anti-americans? I don't think I can sit with this BS.
The poster is more like "Lol Republicans = Fascists!!". Visit the website.

At least this posters (and some of the content of the website) shows that both sides have idiots.
Daggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 12:40   Link #4346
Eggs in a Bottle
Ehh I love suits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Im no fan of Palin, but she didnt say anything about like going to war with Iran specifically. She's talking about the "War against Terror/Islamic Extremism" and Iran is in that paradigm.
"...Stragedies that we need over Iraq and Iran to win these wars", I mean that does sound like Iran is another bad guy like Iraq, and we all know what you do to bad guys, you bomb them.
Eggs in a Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 12:48   Link #4347
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The website that poster was scavenged from is fairly center-left .... but with an extra amount of disdain for the far right loony fringe. The poster art "anti-American" is satirical though a far right loony might look at it and say "looks patriotic to me...."

Though I think he's being optimistic, a lot of this article amplifies my feelings on the situation:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-c..._b_140250.html

And this article matches a lot of my feelings on why McCain is where he is now:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hilary..._b_140388.html

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-03 at 13:55.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 14:40   Link #4348
DarkSide Hero
Hero From the Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
oooohohoho
Those liberals and their damn civil rights!
I miss the good 'ol days.
Spoiler for the good 'ol days:
The woman yelled over her shoulder to her husband watching a game to ask who she was voting for. He responded, "we're votin' for the n***er!" The woman turned back to the canvasser and said matter-of-factly, "we're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury.
DarkSide Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 15:57   Link #4349
solomon

Good ol days I find depends on your race and and income in the past, needless to say. Many middle class whites he grew up in Eisenhower era suburbs look to that time as "the good ol days"

Everyone else, ummm yea.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:28   Link #4350
Seifall

Obama is nearly eleven points ahead of McCain in the polls, if McCain wins this will be a total reconsideration of the US.
If Obama doesn't win now, this implies that he will never be able to do so in four years. Since you can barely imagine worst for the Republican than what we see today, with the economy,the crisis, the war....
The whole world is facing your country now, if the choice is not the one expected, I don't even imagine how long it will take to have this positive image of a prosperous and loved country as it was the case under Clinton.
I really hope it will be what the majority of people here expect, otherwise this image, of open minded American who are able to elect a black man for the White House, that they show endlessly at the news since a while will be completely erased of people's mind coming from the four corners of the earth.
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:53   Link #4351
DarkSide Hero
Hero From the Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Good ol days I find depends on your race and and income in the past, needless to say. Many middle class whites he grew up in Eisenhower era suburbs look to that time as "the good ol days"

Everyone else, ummm yea.
ahhhh the good old days of not having to care what was going on in the rest of the world.
The woman yelled over her shoulder to her husband watching a game to ask who she was voting for. He responded, "we're votin' for the n***er!" The woman turned back to the canvasser and said matter-of-factly, "we're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury.
DarkSide Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 16:53   Link #4352
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not to be paranoid or anything, but if Obama loses, I'm not going to suspect racism. I'm going to suspect fraud...

Kidding. Actually, racism is as good an explanation as any.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 17:41   Link #4353
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not to be paranoid or anything, but if Obama loses, I'm not going to suspect racism. I'm going to suspect fraud...

Kidding. Actually, racism is as good an explanation as any.

Bradley Effect... on the national level.

We'll see on Nov 4.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 17:58   Link #4354
Seifall

You're right, racism is not the only one explanation but it has to be the biggest fraud in the US History to make lose a man who is by 11 points ahead in the polls just before the j day.

If McCain wins, let's all meet at the nearest river next to an election office , you never know.... Kidding...

Anyway we will see what will happen and by how many votes the future president won the election it should answer a lot of questions.
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 17:59   Link #4355
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Bradley Effect... on the national level.
I'd argue that the Bradley effect has long since been on the way down, and in any case I suspect this election is going to be truly historic in terms of voter turnout -- especially minority and youth voter turnout. These voter groups don't have nearly as high a potential for the Bradley Effect thing as the "core" white voter group. There was the Latino-Black contention, but considering Obama made a frickin' Spanish language political ad...

In other words, as "contrary to Democracy" as it may seem to state this, but if John McCain wins the election tomorrow then there is something very wrong somewhere in the system. Oh, and we'll have disillusioned countless millions in one stroke.

And his team shares the blame. Not only was this election going to be historic in terms of the United States realigning itself after the disastrous Bush years, but through their negativity they also made it a grand contest of how America will do politics.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 18:02   Link #4356
mg1942

The second most expensive campaign (and second most important...) in 2008 is California's Proposition 8. Polls indicate that prop 8 is a statistical tie, with few undecided people that could decide the outcodme.

SF Mayor Gavin Newsom said it best...
As California goes, so goes the nation.
Old 2008-11-03, 18:06   Link #4357
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
The second most expensive campaign (and second most important...) in 2008 is California's Proposition 8. Polls indicate that prop 8 is a statistical tie, with few undecided people that could decide the outcodme.

SF Mayor Gavin Newsom said it best...
As California goes, so goes the nation.
...that would've granted Kerry the Presidency in 2004, then?

Oh, and personally, fuck proposition 8. Pass or fail, it *will* get struck down in the Supreme Court if the so-called Highest Court of the Land still has any sense left in it. Social "issues" of the day are one thing, putting the Full Faith and Credit Clause in jeopardy is an entirely different affair.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 18:19   Link #4358
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
...that would've granted Kerry the Presidency in 2004, then?
On legislating laws, not prez elections.

Quote:
Oh, and personally, fuck proposition 8. Pass or fail, it *will* get struck down in the Supreme Court if the so-called Highest Court of the Land still has any sense left in it. Social "issues" of the day are one thing, putting the Full Faith and Credit Clause in jeopardy is an entirely different affair.
Here's how Obama will pick SC judge...

"We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."

So YES Prop 8 is dead-on-arrival... So much money wasted
Old 2008-11-03, 18:43   Link #4359
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
Looks like in the yahoo polls Obama is winning and I'm excited about the election tommorow and so a mimi_girl and my mom:

http://news.yahoo.com/election/2008/dashboard
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 19:09   Link #4360
sikvod00

Obama's grandma dies hours before election. Assuming he does win tomorrow (this Swede hopes so), talk about a bittersweet victory...

sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states