AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-01, 02:39   Link #3501
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It is wonderful having H x H back, and I thought the first half of the ep was fantastic - the contrast between Killua and Gon's situations was beautifully portrayed and I loved the BGM during the firefly reveal. In truth, though, the 2nd half is the first time I've had any real issue with H x H in months, which is testament to how great it's been. There's the simple fact that the "Benny Hill" BGM Madhouse chose for the scene when Gon and Kil were fleeing Palm was atrocious, but that's not a major deal. Believe it or not my bigger problems were with Togashi's choices here.

First, though I get that the elevator definitely doesn't go to the top floor, I was disappointed to see Palm reduced to pure psychopathy so soon after Gon's acceptance of her made her really seem sad and vulnerable. But the bigger problem was that I didn't care for the way Togashi resolved Killua's crisis - unless I misread the situation completely, it seems as if Illumi had physically planted a wire in his head to control his behavior. That just doesn't seem like a Togashi twist to me - it feels almost like a cheap resolution to a complex problem. I also feel that it undercuts some of the pathos of Killua's struggle. I think what the boy was going through was much more interesting when seen as a purely psychological struggle, as his love for Gon forced him to try and overcome the damage his family's conditioning had done to him - an internal war over what sort of boy Killua wanted to be. Chalking all - or most - of it up to a needle in his brain somewhat trivializes the existential drama of the situation for me, and that may very well be a first for me with Togashi.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 03:25   Link #3502
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Excellent performance by Mariya Ise as Killua. I was even more impressed that it finally gave us an explanation of what happened during the hunter exam finals.
I'm fairly sure that the pin was implanted long before the hunter exam.

That said, is there any doubt left that Illumi is a Manipulator now?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 04:16   Link #3503
ookamigirl

I'm still amazed by Palm's transformation. Just wow!
Gon really knows how to make a girl happy ^^
Killua really had some inner issues this time.
It was nice that he finally managed to resist his programming.
After that he was just Wow! Like some brake inside him was released.
Gon is just too innocent and naive for his own good.
I'm glad Killua took him away from the psycho Palm.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 05:01   Link #3504
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I think the needle was just part of it. Killua was raised to be as careful as possible, and the needle was part of this raising, as well as the education. As I wrote in a comment on Enzo's blog, it's also possible that the needle provided some "feedback" for Killua to feel and associate with the feeling of fighting with uncertain odds, so that he would come to dread the very thing with time (and thus develop a psychological block of his own). Once he overcame the psychological block, the feeling stayed, but the now much more experienced (in Nen) and determined Killua was able to isolate it, locate it and remove it.

On another note, sometimes when you overcome your personal limits/barriers it DOES come a bit like a breakthrough - you just accumulate pressure, and then you burst and just say "f**k it" to what's been holding you back. In this case, ripping a needle in your head would be a rather good visual metaphor of the feelings involved in the process. Just saying "ok, Killua had his internal struggle, he suddenly overcame his fears, now he's stronger" would have felt like a power-up out of nothing. In this way you see and feel the physical pain he's gone through - mirroring the inner one. In a sense, it's more effective at communicating the process than being literal about it would have been.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 05:12   Link #3505
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So effectively, as regards Killua's s psyche you're saying that Togashi is using a literal act to make a symbolic point, while the alternative would have been to have a symbolic act prove a literal point? Interesting notion, though I'm not sure I buy it.
Old 2013-09-01, 05:12   Link #3506
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
In this way you see and feel the physical pain he's gone through - mirroring the inner one. In a sense, it's more effective at communicating the process than being literal about it would have been.
To be honest, I don't think I would have completely bought into it if Killua overcame his mental block via sheer internal willpower. (I mean, he did, to be fair, but the act of ripping out the needle made that process so much more visibly active and tangible and concrete.) Adding a physical element to it was what convinced me--otherwise, no matter how well it might have been portrayed, I think part of me would've suspected Killua of having an emotional breakthrough just because he kind of needed to for the sake of the plot.... hardly a step away from a power-of-friendship power-up.

Or to put it another way, the show had built up Killua's mental block to such an overpowering and hopeless extent that it simply didn't seem feasible for him to get past it by gritting his teeth and trying harder. There needed to be a way to show the new depth of his determination--to show what was different about this new rebellion on Killua's part. To me, the revelation about the needle was very satisfying because it explained why Illumi's control of him was so persistent in the face of all his previous desperate attempts to get around it.
Old 2013-09-01, 05:21   Link #3507
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So how is it that Kil figured out what was going on just at the right moment, not to mention how to remove a Nen-infused needle from his brain without leaving himself a vegetable? Don't answer if it's a manga spoiler, obviously, but I think they're the sort of details Togashi normally nails down tight.
Old 2013-09-01, 05:28   Link #3508
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So how is it that Kil figured out what was going on just at the right moment, not to mention how to remove a Nen-infused needle from his brain without leaving himself a vegetable? Don't answer if it's a manga spoiler, obviously, but I think they're the sort of details Togashi normally nails down tight.
I never thought it was in his brain... always kinda figured out it was at skin depth. And my head canon explanation is that when he started realizing that his own brain was willing to fight, yet he still felt an impulse to run, the 'source' of this impulse felt more and more extraneous. He couldn't figure it out while he was afraid himself, because external and internal drives where meld into one. But once they started disagreeing, he could feel there was "something" that was trying to push him no matter how hard he disagreed, and thus was able to fight it back and remove it. That would also be the reason for his paralysis, the conflict between these two different drives. In a sense, this does not diminish the importance of Killua's psychological struggle - he still needed it to realize that not all his fear was of natural origin. Once he removed his inner fear, the induced one appeared to him as an extraneous body, and he expelled it, and the act was the final breakthrough he needed to end his ordeal.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 05:34   Link #3509
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I never thought it was in his brain... always kinda figured out it was at skin depth. And my head canon explanation is that when he started realizing that his own brain was willing to fight, yet he still felt an impulse to run, the 'source' of this impulse felt more and more extraneous. He couldn't figure it out while he was afraid himself, because external and internal drives where meld into one. But once they started disagreeing, he could feel there was "something" that was trying to push him no matter how hard he disagreed, and thus was able to fight it back and remove it. That would also be the reason for his paralysis, the conflict between these two different drives. In a sense, this does not diminish the importance of Killua's psychological struggle - he still needed it to realize that not all his fear was of natural origin. Once he removed his inner fear, the induced one appeared to him as an extraneous body, and he expelled it, and the act was the final breakthrough he needed to end his ordeal.
Well, that's certainly the most convincing explanation I've heard anyone make yet.
Old 2013-09-01, 06:11   Link #3510
noktown

Quote:
I never thought it was in his brain... always kinda figured out it was at skin depth.
Same here,I didn't think it was actually inside of his head,the impression I got from the manga was that his hair was hiding the top of the needle.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 07:30   Link #3511
Hamster

I don't really have a problem with the needle thing. To me Killua's inner turmoil seemed unnaturally powerful for a simple fight or flight mechanism. His latest fight or flight 'clashes' looked overly shounen and melodramatic I was actually relieved it was something else.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 08:15   Link #3512
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I never really gave much thought as to how the pin was embedded. But it's just a pin. Aside from some bleeding there shouldn't really be any lasting damage. And yes, it's possible it wasn't embedded in his brain at all. Manipulatior abilities generally only require contact with the target in general, not a specific part of the target.
Old 2013-09-01, 09:08   Link #3513
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I imagine Killua finally realised that his fear must have been externally enforced after comparing his desire to protect Gon and his fear and realising one was genuine and the other wasn't. Once he figured that out he could identify where it was coming from.

As for how he knew how to pull it out, I suppose it would be natural for us to assume that pulling out a nen-infused needle that's currently interacting with your brain would require a bit more technique than what Killua did, but since we were never really given the specifics and probably won't be in the future, I guess this is just the common method of taking advantage of the ambiguity. For all we know, Killua probably did take a ridiculously huge risk in pulling out that needle but since he was going to be killed anyway if he didn't run, then he might as well try. I like that idea the most since that means in taking the risk, he had enough strength in him all along to take those kind of risks and pulling out the needle is more symbolic, rather than a cop-out of almost DeM proportions. Of course we might not ever find out, but hopefully they'll explain in the next episode.

In the grander scheme of things though, I don't think it's that big of deal. What I'm more curious about is the mechanism of that needle. When Killua pulled it out, he was basically able to one shot Rammot like he was nothing. So why was there any doubt in the first place? I assumed that the needle amplified the doubt he had but apparently it seems to create it, even in situations where Killua would normally know with full confidence that he can take someone out. So then the question is why it wasn't activated pretty much all the time. Maybe it started getting stronger at some point? Hopefully they'll explain that one too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 10:35   Link #3514
Uribatake

I only noticed this when I watched this part of the arc in anime form, and maybe the ones among you who read the manga have already discussed it under spoiler tags months ago, but if Killua had a needle in his brain all along, why wasn't it detected when NGL gave him a full body scan before allowing him to enter the country?
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 11:05   Link #3515
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
I only noticed this when I watched this part of the arc in anime form, and maybe the ones among you who read the manga have already discussed it under spoiler tags months ago, but if Killua had a needle in his brain all along, why wasn't it detected when NGL gave him a full body scan before allowing him to enter the country?
I believe the needle was made by Nen... at least that's what I assume.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 11:05   Link #3516
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
In the grander scheme of things though, I don't think it's that big of deal. What I'm more curious about is the mechanism of that needle. When Killua pulled it out, he was basically able to one shot Rammot like he was nothing. So why was there any doubt in the first place? I assumed that the needle amplified the doubt he had but apparently it seems to create it, even in situations where Killua would normally know with full confidence that he can take someone out. So then the question is why it wasn't activated pretty much all the time. Maybe it started getting stronger at some point? Hopefully they'll explain that one too.
It's been a very long time since I read the manga so I might be wrong but I don't think anything about this needle was ever explained. I think all it did was amplify Killua's instinct (that were pounded into him by his family ) to run away when faced with an enemy he is not sure he can beat. Killua had faced Rammot before and noticed he was already pretty tough, now this same Rammot came back with nen... there was room for him to think Rammot was now stronger than him. His previous encounter with Pitou probably also played a part. It engraved a deep fear of ants possessing nen inside his heart.

I have a bigger problem with Killua being able to one-shot Rammot. There's no way Rammot was that weak. This is the guy who survived Gon and Killua's strongest attacks and he didn't even have nen to protect himself back then. The fight ended this way solely to make Killua look cool.

Quote:
I only noticed this when I watched this arc in anime form (I've yet to re-read the manga), and maybe you guys have already discussed it under spoiler tags, but if Killua had a needle in his brain all along, why wasn't it detected when NGL gave him a full body scan before allowing him to enter the country?
It's not too far-fetched to think Izumi's nen hid it.
Old 2013-09-01, 11:41   Link #3517
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Either that or the pin wasn't made of metal. Or perhaps more likely: The writer just didn't think of that.
Old 2013-09-01, 12:12   Link #3518
HandofFate

argh, I get it that they have to put it in for a sake of an accurate adaptation, but I hate this yandere girl.

Worst yandere girl ever, and she takes way too much screentime.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 13:20   Link #3519
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 94-

Spoiler for Part 1:

---------

Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 14:27   Link #3520
AnimeFan188

Quote:
During that episode, there's a brief scene where Killua looked like he was pointing at
something on his brain scan. Maybe that was his first clue about what his brother
did to him.

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2013-09-01 at 18:45.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen