AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-16, 10:03   Link #201
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Ugh, I would hate to be posting on two different boards once moe contest season starts. Pretty much what I would say in one moe thread would be the same as the other, and the only difference would be who I would be voting for.

Thus, count me as one who would prefer to keep the main saimoe contests discussion, whether it be k-moe or j-moe, on one thread. The tourney proper starts at almost the same time anyways.
Then again, that's no different from having both a J Saimoe thread and an I saimoe thread.

Yeah, I said it. I Saimoe, J Saimoe, K Saimoe.
Old 2008-05-16, 15:30   Link #202
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, apart from what I have said before, there's been a pattern that sometimes what happens in K-moe affects the next J-moe foreign vote pattern and vice versa. And if last year's thread was of any indication, our members are no different. How many have hate voted in one tourney in response to the other tourney's loss, or how many of the lower tier characters got a boost just because a higher tier character from the same series was participating in the other tourney?

In all honesty, despite having different demographics and a thousand miles separating them, j-moe and k-moe are inexorably linked for some reason. Starting at around the same time doesn't help things one bit either.

Compare this to I-moe, where Korean particpation are relatively low and Japanese are practically non-existent, on top of the scedule finishing soon after the main moe tourneys are starting.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-16, 15:39   Link #203
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
We need a Rozen Maiden OVA just so a Rozen Maiden can beat Fate again
Old 2008-05-16, 16:00   Link #204
wontaek

Quote:
Meh, apart from what I have said before, there's been a pattern that sometimes what happens in K-moe affects the next J-moe foreign vote pattern and vice versa. And if last year's thread was of any indication, our members are no different. How many have hate voted in one tourney in response to the other tourney's loss, or how many of the lower tier characters got a boost just because a higher tier character from the same series was participating in the other tourney?

In all honesty, despite having different demographics and a thousand miles separating them, j-moe and k-moe are inexorably linked for some reason. Starting at around the same time doesn't help things one bit either.

Compare this to I-moe, where Korean particpation are relatively low and Japanese are practically non-existent, on top of the scedule finishing soon after the main moe tourneys are starting.
I need to point out couple of things

#1 Korea and Japan are adjacent of each other.

#2 Largest Anime market outside of Japan is Korea. China is a distant third.

#3 Most of the anime are partially made by Korean Subcontractors.

#4 Despite the claim of originality by Japanese producers, much of the Japanese manga concepts and styles originated from Korean Manwha. Although Korean Manwha import more than export concepts and styles from Japanese manga, many needs to acknowledge that Japanese manga imports tremendous amount of materials from outside Japan sources, and much of it still comes first to Korea before being passed to Japan, just like the ancient times. A good example is use of ancient world history and various religious texts which became popular in Korea several years ( many example can be found even in 1960s ) before it became wide spread in Japan.

If you consider these things, you can expect the two moe tournaments to show similar preferences and also effect each other rapidly. Due to asymmetry of Korea-Japan relationship, Japanese Saimoe tends to have more affect in Korean Best Moe than the other way around, but that could also be attributed to the fact that Korean Best Moe draws more outside Japan and Korea votes compared to the Japanese Saimoe, and that most Korean voters follow Japanese Saimoe while few Japanese voters follow anything happening outside Japan, anime-wise.

There exist a chance that this influence between the two moe tournaments may be broken due to participation from large Hitman Reborn Fan Club, Gintama Fan Club, and Code Geass Fan Club in Korea. These groups, being mostly female, are likely to vote very strategically to support any characters from their favorite anime series, so I beg of you to promote participation and voting in Korean Best Moe in order for it to not be ruined by these block voters. We are doing everything we can in Korea but we there is only 50 million people in South Korea compared to 6 billion in the world.

Last edited by wontaek; 2008-05-16 at 16:13.
Old 2008-05-16, 20:17   Link #205
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:

Korean participation isn't that low - they make up a good 15% of the population. (estimated. Have to check IPs sooner or later)
Old 2008-05-17, 21:25   Link #206
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

In case anybody is interested, the Chinese Saimoe 2008 website is up. However, the actual contest won't begin until september 1st. In the official forum, they have already divided into 18 factions. In addition to the Saimoe contest, there are also male character competition and annual awards.

Last year was the first Chinese Saimoe, the winner is Konata, with Yuki in second and Saber in third.
Old 2008-05-17, 21:40   Link #207
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
In case anybody is interested, the Chinese Saimoe 2008 website is up. However, the actual contest won't begin until september 1st. In the official forum, they have already divided into 18 factions. In addition to the Saimoe contest, there are also male character competition and annual awards.

Last year was the first Chinese Saimoe, the winner is Konata, with Yuki in second and Saber in third.
Question: Is China making any attempt to garner an international audience? If they convince me that they have, I may be thinking of adding them to ISML pre-qualifications.
Old 2008-05-17, 22:38   Link #208
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

The Chinese Saimoe's biggest theme is "Localized Moe" so I'don't think that they are trying to appeal an international audience.
Old 2008-05-18, 02:25   Link #209
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So that means foreign participation is pretty much banned? Because if anybody is willing to show how to particpate in C-moe in an easy to read, listed fashion, I'm all for it. But considering they're looking for 'localized moe', I don't think us foreigners are very much welcome.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-05-18, 05:04   Link #210
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
The Chinese Saimoe's biggest theme is "Localized Moe" so I'don't think that they are trying to appeal an international audience.
Though it does depend on how uptodate you are with recent years. But in general I guess it would be rather baised if they pick character from a selected few series.

Just made a funny connection...if the UK were ever to have a saimoe (like in a million years) it would be called: E-moe

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-05-18, 06:08   Link #211
wontaek

Quote:
I have to say that we should not include any moe tournament that makes no effort to accomodate for international voters. Even Japanese Saimoe took trouble to add some English posts.

By the way, we got to see Gekka's Female Avatar in Kyouran Kazoku, so her avatar in Korean Best Moe will likely be that of Amaterasu look-a-like, not the jellyfish. I dare say, however, that the jellyfish looks cuter.
Old 2008-05-18, 06:39   Link #212
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Isn't it possible to have both with a dividing line in between?

Left side human form, right side jellyfish form :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-05-18, 13:31   Link #213
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Aw... so it's nearly this time of the year...again...
and let me join the fun again

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Old 2008-05-19, 13:59   Link #214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would have thought a UK centered Moe contest would be B. Moe. but that sounds more like Harlem talk. Of course the question would be is the "E" England or Europe?

At least B. Moe (Britain SaiMoe) already has a few anime flag designs for them to use left over from the Welsh inclusion UK flag proposals.

E. Moe (if Europe) could use the top 12 girls from another Saimoe (or the previous year after the first year) in place of the 12 stars on the EU flag.
Old 2008-05-21, 06:43   Link #215
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Michiru and Koyomi could get some support since they are a Peach Pit show. I don't know if the school chancellor will get any attention since she was in only like one episode, but she is loli, and looks quite a bit like Shinku
Old 2008-05-25, 13:05   Link #216
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Will they allow foreign votes?

Anyone here knows the source for this?

Old 2008-05-25, 16:12   Link #217
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
Will they allow foreign votes?

Anyone here knows the source for this?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

interesting, anyone know if the 2008 Saimoe website is up yet?
Old 2008-05-29, 15:53   Link #218
Zeroryoko1974

looks like most of the characters in that collage are from Zettai Karen Children, To Luv Ru, Kyouran Kazouku Niki, Shugo Chara, and one of the wolf girl from Kanokon. There are a few others but I am not sure of who they are
1. ??? from Shugo Chara (new guardian, replaces the trap from last season)
2. Cool and Spicey Amu from Shugo Chara (Peachpit show, may get strong support from doll faction)
3. abused loli character from Kyouran Kazouku Niki
4. no idea
5. Kyoka from Kyouran Kazouku Niki.
6. Someone from To Luv Ru
7. ??? from Zettai Karen Children
8. Ranka Lee from Macross F?
9. the wolf girl from Konokan
10. no idea

Last edited by Zeroryoko1974; 2008-05-29 at 16:49.
Old 2008-05-29, 16:18   Link #219
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

yume - dc2
ranka - macross F

anyone know if the saimoe 2008 website is up yet?

should be close to nomination time
Old 2008-05-29, 17:48   Link #220
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
looks like most of the characters in that collage are from Zettai Karen Children, To Luv Ru, Kyouran Kazouku Niki, Shugo Chara, and one of the wolf girl from Kanokon. There are a few others but I am not sure of who they are
1. ??? from Shugo Chara (new guardian, replaces the trap from last season)
2. Cool and Spicey Amu from Shugo Chara (Peachpit show, may get strong support from doll faction)
3. abused loli character from Kyouran Kazouku Niki
4. no idea
5. Kyoka from Kyouran Kazouku Niki.
6. Someone from To Luv Ru
7. ??? from Zettai Karen Children
8. Ranka Lee from Macross F?
9. the wolf girl from Konokan
10. no idea
I know the characters, I wanted to know the source of the ranking (I'm not a very good writer so it's my fault, sorry...)
But either way, thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
saimoe