AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-03, 15:40   Link #121
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
Spoiler for First impressions episode 1 Doki Doki! Precure:
Yes, I agree 100%... except take everything you said and flip it so that it's the complete opposite.

I feel like this will be one of my favorite Pretty Cure seasons.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 16:38   Link #122
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
Yes, I agree 100%... except take everything you said and flip it so that it's the complete opposite.

I feel like this will be one of my favorite Pretty Cure seasons.
I liked Suite compared to the rest, maybe because it looked different. I'm getting similar vibes from this series, I always give PreCure a couple of episodes before I end up dropping them, maybe I'll finish a season for once.
Old 2013-02-03, 16:39   Link #123
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Smile started really great but it turned kinda flat. For the last 20 episodes, it was really boring. Poor character developpement, filler all over the place, a plot not really there...

So far I found it nice.
Mana is just a Madoka (for those who know Rinne no Lagrange), she's just not as bold which is not a good thing : she could ended being a bit irritating.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 17:32   Link #124
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Off-Topic

Doremi, at last, released their subs for the first episode, hence, it's just a matter of time before this thread is moved to the Current section.

On-Topic

Reading all of your posts, it has encouraged within me a crave to return to PreCure after a two year hiatus and to start enjoying Doki Doki!
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 19:16   Link #125
pezzie

Very good start. Felt like Suite, which is probably my 3rd favorite Precure. Though the opening scene reminded me a bit of Heartcatch's opening scene, which is an awesome thing.

Smile started off well too though, and ended up a huge disappointment. I hope this one remains good. At least it seems to establish a main story early on, kind of like Heartcatch there.
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 20:20   Link #126
justsomeguy

It's got retro animation, the first episode takes place entirely outside of school, and our main girl is actually doing stuff instead of talking about herself or moping. I'd say that's a new way of starting things off. Good stuff so far.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 20:36   Link #127
SolCiel

I enjoyed that first episode. This is my second attempt at watching a Precure series, and it's a promising start (hope the plot sticks around). I'm fascinated with Alice's butler for some reason.
SolCiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 22:13   Link #128
VampirePaladin

I find it really interesting that Mana is practically the anti-Usagi with Sailor Moon coming out later this year.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 23:14   Link #129
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

For those who have read Jojo part 5. This is hilarious parody!
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Wonder who made this.
Old 2013-02-04, 00:21   Link #130
4Tran

Episode 1

It looks like this show isn't intended to compete with the new Sailor Moon. It's almost as if Toei has a set ration of good ideas and budget for magical girl shows, and they decided to put their attention on the remake. (No, that's not how it actually works)

All in all, Dokidoki has perhaps the weakest opening episode of any magical girl show I've ever watched. The animation cuts a lot more corners than you'd expect a premier to have, and the character designs (especially the Cures' civilian forms) look bad. The villians and the monsters are lacklustre, and most of the good ideas from this episode seem to have been lifted from other shows. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but they seemed to have lifted a lot of bad ideas as well. To top it off, there isn't much in the way of interesting story hooks even though the episode ends in a cliffhanger. I'm curious as to whether the creators can salvage anything from such a false start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
It's got retro animation, the first episode takes place entirely outside of school, and our main girl is actually doing stuff instead of talking about herself or moping. I'd say that's a new way of starting things off. Good stuff so far.
I think that it works a lot better with a reluctant protagonist. A story of this nature that leaves out the refusal of the call works best as a comedy, but none of that is really apparent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Reading all of your posts, it has encouraged within me a crave to return to PreCure after a two year hiatus and to start enjoying Doki Doki!
You should give Smile Precure a try. There's a lot of good stuff in that show.
Old 2013-02-04, 01:29   Link #131
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
You should give Smile Precure a try. There's a lot of good stuff in that show.
You've gotta be joking.
There's five Episode Ones in that show.
There's painfully pointless villain act in that show.
There's dumber than dumb characters in that show.
There's numerous blatant rehashes of plots from older productions in that show.
Absolutely misused motif, absolutely horrible finale that's so template and generic it might as well not have any dialogue, and it also simultaneously rips off MULTIPLE previous Precure works.
Did I mention they were changing what Miracle Jewel's purpose was between episodes like no big deal?
Characters have no arcs or meaningful interactions whatsoever.
Outside of a handful of good original episodes Smile is the absolute low of the franchise and a hackjob.
Animation cuts corners? Check out the episode in which battles are comprised of reused OP animation. Beamspam prevails over fistcuffs so there's rarely things to look at either.

Sometimes I wonder if people who dislike Doki just aren't willing to see Smile go.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2013-02-04 at 01:46.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 04:01   Link #132
Laevatein

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 05:07   Link #133
Sol Falling

Man, I can see where all the people hyping up Doki Doki are coming from, but Smile must have totally spoiled me because I can't get over the loss of its simply amazing character designs. Despite the weaknesses/flaws I can fully admit were in Smile's story, it's established itself as my favourite Precure by far. Doki Doki seems to be calling back to an old school style which I can probably see appealing to the oldest Precure fans. However, while I'm prepared to give Doki Doki its fair shake, so far its strengths only seem to highlight how it is lacking in terms of what actually made me love Smile.

Half of the reason I managed to stick through with Suite for so long was the ED themes...and I gotta admit, Doki Doki's ED seems more than good enough to accomplish the same thing as well (despite both of those series' unattractive character designs. That's kind of bizarre, really, now that I think about it.). I hope Doki Doki won't be too heavy-handed with the het romance agenda, though, as I've been mostly spared from it in all the seasons I've watched so far.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 06:50   Link #134
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Doki Doki gives me the impression that Fresh gave me first time around: something that looks quite low-budget, even compared to other Precure seasons.

Still, Mana's a likeable enough character who simply gives no f***s about whether her opponent was a monster, and she's also a Rider fan. Who doesn't like that?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 07:11   Link #135
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

After seeing Lowegear posting here, I am starting to think that the lolicons will be in here soon.

*raises glass* And here is to hoping that Cure Diamond will be a lesbian.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 08:50   Link #136
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
When people were first saying Madoka would revolutionize magical girl anime in the same way that Evangelion did for the mecha genre, I was unsure that it would filter down to shows like Precure that were aimed at a younger audience (Smile definitely didn't resemble Madoka in any way, shape or form), but Sword definitely seems like an age-appropriate version of Homura.
She's just a new Yuri.
Homura's character effectively doesn't exist without her Madoka and Makoto doesn't have one, she's running a plot about having friends vs depending only on yourself which is absolutely not what Homura was about.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 09:20   Link #137
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
You've gotta be joking.
There's five Episode Ones in that show.
There's painfully pointless villain act in that show.
There's dumber than dumb characters in that show.
There's numerous blatant rehashes of plots from older productions in that show.
Absolutely misused motif, absolutely horrible finale that's so template and generic it might as well not have any dialogue, and it also simultaneously rips off MULTIPLE previous Precure works.
Did I mention they were changing what Miracle Jewel's purpose was between episodes like no big deal?
Characters have no arcs or meaningful interactions whatsoever.
Outside of a handful of good original episodes Smile is the absolute low of the franchise and a hackjob.
Animation cuts corners? Check out the episode in which battles are comprised of reused OP animation. Beamspam prevails over fistcuffs so there's rarely things to look at either.

Sometimes I wonder if people who dislike Doki just aren't willing to see Smile go.
I haven't watched all of Smile yet, but what I saw of it was fun, entertaining and pretty high quality. It's certainly better than what I could stand of Suite, and it has a much better first episode than Dokidoki. You're the first person I've come across who has been so critical of Smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
[SNIP] but Sword definitely seems like an age-appropriate version of Homura.
Cure Sword is basically mini-Cure Moonlight, right down to having similar colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Half of the reason I managed to stick through with Suite for so long was the ED themes...and I gotta admit, Doki Doki's ED seems more than good enough to accomplish the same thing as well (despite both of those series' unattractive character designs.
Dokidoki's 3D character models for the ED are very nice - the nicest of all the Precures by quite a bit. In fact, they might look better than the 2D versions. It's the one part of the episode that I have no complaints about at all. Sure, it's not as good overall as Tomorrow Song, but what is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
That's kind of bizarre, really, now that I think about it.). I hope Doki Doki won't be too heavy-handed with the het romance agenda, though, as I've been mostly spared from it in all the seasons I've watched so far.
You can pretty much bet on that. There's a rule that there won't be any meaningful romances in Precure.
Old 2013-02-04, 09:31   Link #138
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
I haven't watched all of Smile yet, but what I saw of it was fun, entertaining and pretty high quality. It's certainly better than what I could stand of Suite, and it has a much better first episode than Dokidoki. You're the first person I've come across who has been so critical of Smile.
That's cute. Almost everyone I know said the same. The only good thing about smile is characters, everything else is bad, really bad. It's fun? Yeah, I agree, but story is a meh and the final fight part is really disappointed. Re-used materials, re-used materials everywhere.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:16   Link #139
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

After watched the first episode I must admit that it is weaker than Smile's first episode
of course we cant judge everything from the 1st eps
and the OP... Tomoyo-chan could do better than that

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 01:09   Link #140
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
That's cute. Almost everyone I know said the same. The only good thing about smile is characters, everything else is bad, really bad. It's fun? Yeah, I agree, but story is a meh and the final fight part is really disappointed. Re-used materials, re-used materials everywhere.
To you. Personally I rank Smile! as the best out of all the seasons I have seen (namely Smile!, Heartcatch, Suite, Yes! 5, Splash Star (most of it) and Fresh (3/5th of it). There were no boring or bad episodes in Smile! in my opinion and I liked all the characters near evenly.

As for Doki Doki! I like the first episode quite a bit. The characters are nice both in terms of design and personality and the villains are interesting. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, magical girl