Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2005-01-04, 19:52   Link #1
Katsuyuki
Haru Glory Fan

Send a message via AIM to Katsuyuki Send a message via MSN to Katsuyuki
DVD Pondering ==...*hmm*

I’ve been enjoying anime since I was about six (Gundam still one of my all time classics) as I got older and became more financially able I began to buy more and more VHS (remember back when the anime section was like two rows lol) and little later DVD's as they came into mainstream. Since about 2002 I’ve been watching fansub’s of new shows as they where shown in Japan and when they came out on DVD here I bought them as soon as I could.

Now one thing has always bothered me. I’m one of those people that when I get something I want it to be if not perfectly close to the original then as close as possible. So I’ve always wondered if I wasn't getting the full experience when I watched my precious DVD' if they still cut something out and still say its "uncut."

Now when it comes to America I tend to be very distrusting of anything they say. Sure I know that is my own problem but look who we have in our most powerful position in this country.

I know this seems silly but hey I am a silly person so I was just wondering if anyone else pondered this also. I know I'll still buy DVD's without a second look but its interesting to think about things such as this you know ^^.

-Katsu
*Mods feel free to move my thread if it is in the wrong area*

Last edited by Katsuyuki; 2005-01-05 at 01:16.
Katsuyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 20:20   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Cases of incomplete R1s are quite uncommon.

There are very few deliberately cut DVDs, the only one that I can say meets your requirements was Kite, but that's been re-released 2 times now, and I believe it's fully uncut finally.

There was a case with scenes missing from Demon Lord Dante, edited by Enoki before giving the masters to Geneon (who were unaware of the edit) and a small part missing from a later episode of KareKano, because Gainax gave RightStuf the TV edit which lacked a bit that was present on the R2 release.

Other than that, the majority of DVDs released these days are entirely uncut, and you'll be hard pressed to find one that was cut deliberately by the US company.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 21:01   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, cutting isn't the problem anymore. It's all that bloody editing to make it clean and sanitized for the american audience. Look at the butchery they did to One Piece. Sanji with a lollypop? oh good gauds. I do admit though that they're getting better and not cutting them, but editing and scene substitution is just as bad in my book.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 21:09   Link #4
microlith

You can't count releases by 4Kids. They don't consider people like us to be their audience.

Funimation apparently is having success in releasing uncut DVDs of 4Kids shows. Look at Shaman King.

That and he's asking about DVD, not TV edits.
Old 2005-01-05, 01:09   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I thought they were both the same? IE what you saw on TV is what you got on DVD? Then again I buy (or used to) mostly R2's and don't hardly ever watch TV anymore, so for all I know I could be entirely wrong. ^_^;;
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 01:23   Link #6
Katsuyuki
Haru Glory Fan

Send a message via AIM to Katsuyuki Send a message via MSN to Katsuyuki
Yeah you really can't count 4kids they are just....well I won't go into it.

For some reason though I have this feeling like they took something out or changed it a little (which would be editing) with most of the DVD's I own. I might just be thinking a little too much due to my great distrust of companies that get the rights to all these different series and my dislike for the guidelines the government makes the m follow. Really I just don't like to be lied to so if my ponderings prove to be true it makes me all the more frustrated due to the fact I have almost no say in how it everything is handled.

But I suppose I shouldn't complain seeing as I can always just buy the imports or study my Japanese to watch raws. Still it’s just something to think about and nice to find an answer.
Katsuyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 09:24   Link #7
microlith

Quote:
I thought they were both the same? IE what you saw on TV is what you got on DVD? Then again I buy (or used to) mostly R2's and don't hardly ever watch TV anymore, so for all I know I could be entirely wrong. ^_^;;
Except that you've stated this before and with a few questions we found that your collection consisted almost entirely of R1 DVDs.

And it has -never- been that way.