AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-13, 11:25   Link #381
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Yeah Kaoru, I am used to the American stereo typing and secret whms of hate fr Americans in anime. But it is not like we can blame them for their dislike of American(not all, let me say that not everyone of a ppulation believes the same as the rest) but I mean, the US military has been there since 1945.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 12:09   Link #382
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Jesus christ... no, they don't hate the Americans, they simply have stereotype of them.
Just like you folks have stereotype of Japanese as short midget with teeth sticking out and small dicks (like in South Park), but you don't dislike them, you simply make fun of them.

Bigotry and stereotype doesn't necessary equate to hate.
Kaoru's reaction to being offended by stereotype is perfectly understandable. But your reaction as describing it as "dislike" is not, TigerII.
Old 2007-12-13, 12:13   Link #383
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Right, so when my cousin send me pic of go home evil American, he just pid them to make the signs? He has been sent out of bars, stores, etc for being American, or rather foreign. It is there. Like I said, not every one does. But he is also not in the major cities, but on Okinawa.
Old 2007-12-13, 12:15   Link #384
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yeah, since Genshiken is made by Okinawans, your point makes perfect sense.
[/sarcasm]

You said Japanese, not Okinawans. Okinawa people = Japanese, but not Japanese = Okinawa. You understand the diffrence, son?

And to be fair, your cartoons portray Japanese stereotype FAR WORSE than any Japanese cartoons have. Always. Even Simpsons.
So I should conclude that Americans must seriously hate the Japanese.
[/sarcasm2]

Of course, because we hate the Americans, we have all these facilities to help English speakers, and all the major train stations announce everything in both Japanese and English, because you know, we hate them.

Watch what you say sir. Your generalization is just as stereotyping as your labeling.
Old 2007-12-13, 12:19   Link #385
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Like I said not ALL. But yeah there are Americans who hate anyone not Americans. But that goes for any country. That being said there is no one personal who I know who doesn't dislike anyone not white and American.

Then you have to add the Americans who either fought the Japanese or had parents who fought. Yeah they hate Japanese(My grandfather). Luckily, not everyone is like this. Same for Japan.

And the Japanese steroetype now a days around here is basically they are robots.

Anyways, lets stop before this gets too off topic. Anything further should be through PMs.
Old 2007-12-13, 12:26   Link #386
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Then back to the topic.

Genshiken is NOT WRITTEN by those people you mentioned.
Hell, this episode was written by the manga artist himself. No, he did not fight in WWII, nor does he live in Okinawa, nor does he "hate" americans. He actually likes american otakus very much. He simply have a "stereotype" image of them. HE DOES NOT DISLIKE AMERICANS. So you were off topic to begin with by bringing that up.

Perhaps if you wanted to accuse people of stereotyping, it's best if you don't stereotype them in the same breath.
Old 2007-12-13, 12:37   Link #387
ZODDGUTS

Shame they portrayed Angela this way in the anime version.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 14:40   Link #388
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Spoiler for ep10:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-12-13 at 15:09.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 16:41   Link #389
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
You know, there's always been this thought in my head that it would be real simple to go to an university or something that has exchange programs and rope a few foreigners to do English speakers' roles in anime, since they never seem to last all that long anyway. As for how easy that actually is, I dunno, but it plays out well in my head.

I actually like the fact that we're going to be spending more time with Angela and Sue than in the manga. Unfortunately, it's more Angela than Sue so far (go Susie!), but she'll get her time if they continue on after season 2 and finish the manga's story.

Also - I'm getting in some reading practice for my Japanese class over winter break. Woo!
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 16:43   Link #390
Blaat

Meh I prefer bad English then them speaking in their native language with a foreign accent (which happens a lot in Hollywood movies), which sounds even more stupid and ridiculous then bad English.

And the stereotyping wasn't that bad, I've seen worse (and the stereotyping I've seen in anime can be as bad as American stereotyping) in fact I would Sue was accurately portrayed.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 22:50   Link #391
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Lightbulb Whoa!

Re EP10:

Spoiler:

Depite the focus and tone of the show having changed a bit, I still like
it quite a bit. More!
Old 2007-12-14, 00:51   Link #392
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep10:
Another reason why she's one of my favorite seiyuu.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 04:03   Link #393
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Great episode, but I have to say it's the next episode preview that really made me LOL hard.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 04:09   Link #394
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

It's at times like this when I am really grateful to Revy. (Black Lagoon)

I mean, after hearing her english, I feel that I can handle pretty much any engrish any other show tries to trow at me.
Old 2007-12-14, 06:27   Link #395
Crazy_O

maybe its the literature
http://lachschon.pcgames.de/slides/otaku-1190459726.jpg
Crazy_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 08:25   Link #396
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
What a great episode i could take my eyes off the screen. Even though i have not read the manga i had heard alot about Angela and Sue and they lived up to everything i had heard about them. My favorite scene had to be with Madarame and Angela alone in the clubroom when she notices his fingers. I loved that scene combined with her noticing how he look Saki. I didnt mind the American accents i mean i have heard worse this was not bad. Then again i have been watching anime long enough not to care. Not enough Sue but im sure they will make up for that later. Her randomness is great assest to the show and the speech about how the Japanese would misunderstand had me on the floor. Ahh random Americans. I promise we are all not as bad as some make us out to be.

SusaharaxOugie is moving along nicely with Ono havin to drop out of being a shop girl leaving them alone. There feelings really shinned throgh in the beginning. The constant blushing and Ougie always turning away from him. These 2 are actually made for each other but like Ono said its just going to take a little time. At this point if Susahara confessed I think with some work Ougie would accept his feelings.

I cant wait for the next one was that a bath scene i saw "nosebleed"
Old 2007-12-14, 09:32   Link #397
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Get a move on SasaXOguie

Loved the American Otaku. Didn't think it made American's look bad, we do that well enough on our own.

Engrish is funny it makes me laugh, so bring on more of it for all I care.
Old 2007-12-14, 12:20   Link #398
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Anime always has had a way of making English sound horrid and Americans crass.

I was amazed that of all people saki's English was the easiest on my ears...Not perfect, but it didn't make me wince either.
Strange but true.

I guess because it wasnt presented as either native speech, or someone who has lived in the US for 10 years, it didnt bother me.

Another thing i noticed. If you tune your ears such that all english sounds like random sounds, and you can only understand japanese, then its not so bad. Just focus on the J subtitles and allow the english to become background noise. At that point, good or bad its all the same.

(Beck i could not watch though, worse than fingernails on a chalkboard)
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 13:50   Link #399
Edgewalker
Nani ?

The engrish was actually pretty good. At times, Angela's seiyuu almost sounded good enough to be a bad English dub from the 90's.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 18:56   Link #400
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
Another reason why she's one of my favorite seiyuu.
Ai in Planetes was probably her great role, but I first noticed Yukino Satsuki (Saki) as the American, Tina, in Ai yori Aoshi. She confirmed her star status for me earlier this year with her amazing performance as the the drama club president in Hitohira -- once again playing opposite Kawasumi Ayako (Ono). Powerful dramatic acting. Two great seiyuu.

I think Ogiue and Sasahara are progressing at just about the right rate. But their time must come soon.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arms, comedy, romance, seinen, slice of life