Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-24, 20:51   Link #321
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
Well, if you don't know japanese, I don't think you're qualified to judge. "nano desu" doesn't sound right AT ALL in japanese either.
I disagree that just because I don't know the original language, that I'm not allowed to comment on how it was translated. That doesn't make any sense.

I agree with Orophin about how in japanese it was cute, but this rendition in english doesn't portray that.

PS. Just thought I'd reiterate, that this isn't any kind of attack on Sonozaki; I'm extremely grateful for their efforts. I'm just stating my opinion on this one thing.
Old 2008-09-25, 00:13   Link #322
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
I disagree that just because I don't know the original language, that I'm not allowed to comment on how it was translated. That doesn't make any sense.
If you don't know the language, you wouldn't know how to translate it.
Old 2008-09-27, 22:57   Link #323
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
If you don't know the language, you wouldn't know how to translate it.
But I'm talking about how it's being presented in the language I understand (aka english lol). I think I'm allowed to make a comment on what it sounds like in english, regardless of what it was in the original language. And I have a general sense of what it's intended purpose was in japanese.
Old 2008-09-28, 12:01   Link #324
tobiast88
No patience for fools

What Sterling is saying, is that if you don't know exactly what the original conveys, you can't really judge how it's conveyed in english. I know I stumble over some things in the Sonozaki translation only to discover it's just as awkward in japanese.
Old 2008-09-28, 13:37   Link #325
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiast88 View Post
What Sterling is saying, is that if you don't know exactly what the original conveys, you can't really judge how it's conveyed in english. I know I stumble over some things in the Sonozaki translation only to discover it's just as awkward in japanese.
Okay well I guess I'll give you that.
Old 2008-09-28, 15:54   Link #326
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Well, the "yes" was a bit of an experiment. It did feel forced at times, I admit, so we're considering other methods.

We got some confirmation from our Japanese native helper about what effect Rika's speech has, and here's what we've figured out:

Putting "desu" on the end of everything, even when the function "desu" provides is already given by a "masu" verb, is like a shorthand way of speaking politely - except that she's not doing it quite right. Her attempts to be polite that are only occasionally correct are very moe.

So, the trick is that she needs to be doing something in English that seems like "the way to be polite" but doesn't quite work all the time, and it needs to be adorable that she's doing it. And since she's using actual Japanese words, we use actual English words in our adaptation - "hauu", "nipa~" and "mii" are left alone since they're catchphrases that make about as much sense to the Japanese as to us

Really, the Yen Press manga translation having her say "sir" with everything does the job pretty well; I'm not sure we'll do the same, but we'll work something out.

What we won't do is go back to her being just correctly polite. I'm willing to bet that part of what's so jarring about "yes" is that you got used to her not saying something like that, but then again we could probably use something a little better than that word to convey her cuteness.

Anyway, that's my little essay on translation

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2008-09-28, 16:08   Link #327
tobiast88
No patience for fools

My opinion is that since its a fan translation for fans, and the fans want the nanodesu, you should just leave it in. Yen's "sir" adaptation isn't bad for the literal politeness-adding meaning, but your "yes" more accurately conveys the moe-ness; however, both don't quite make it because *it's untranslateable anyway*.
Old 2008-09-28, 17:06   Link #328
Orophin

Why not do a poll on it like you did for the Translation Notes?
Old 2008-09-29, 16:46   Link #329
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
So, the trick is that she needs to be doing something in English that seems like "the way to be polite" but doesn't quite work all the time, and it needs to be adorable that she's doing it. And since she's using actual Japanese words, we use actual English words in our adaptation - "hauu", "nipa~" and "mii" are left alone since they're catchphrases that make about as much sense to the Japanese as to us
These probably make a bit more sense in Japanese since these appear to be onomatopoeias. Nipa stands for a bright smile while mii is meowing. That page also says that hau hau stands for gobbling. Of course most of these don't really have an equivalent in English, so it's probably best to leave them as they are.
Old 2008-09-29, 16:50   Link #330
tobiast88
No patience for fools

And now, the Higurashi Thanksgiving special, with our guest Rena: "Gobble gobble, kyuuute, take you hoooome!!"
Old 2008-09-30, 21:05   Link #331
SealedTime
Bernkastel's Follower

Hahahaha good one.
Old 2008-10-08, 00:29   Link #332
Jaymer

Mion, I've occured an issue with the translation <(°Д°<)
Well, I've played through the beginning of the translation, (again), and it was marvelous. But, when I got tired of reading, (more like sore eyes), I went to save it.
When I clicked the first save slot, it asked me if I wanted to save there, I clicked yes and then:
POOF
OnScripter closes.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the translation, or Vista's...

~Jaymer
Old 2008-10-08, 01:29   Link #333
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Hmm... I have an inkling of what the problem may be, Jaymer, but I have a couple questions first:

-Have you been able to run the game & save before?
-Do you have administrator privileges on the computer where the game crashed, or did you have to install it on "My Desktop" or someplace like that?

I was able to replicate the crash by going to where onscripter puts game save folders, deleting the save folder while higu was running, and then trying to save a game. I'm not quite sure your crash was for the same reason, but it at least gives me an idea.

Anyway, let me know the answers to my questions and I'll see what I can suggest.

Thanks,
Old 2008-10-08, 02:33   Link #334
Jaymer

Quote:
Hmm... I have an inkling of what the problem may be, Jaymer, but I have a couple questions first:

-Have you been able to run the game & save before?
-Do you have administrator privileges on the computer where the game crashed, or did you have to install it on "My Desktop" or someplace like that?

I was able to replicate the crash by going to where onscripter puts game save folders, deleting the save folder while higu was running, and then trying to save a game. I'm not quite sure your crash was for the same reason, but it at least gives me an idea.

Anyway, let me know the answers to my questions and I'll see what I can suggest.

Thanks,
Thanks Mion,

Question Answers:
- Yes I have, on a previous computer. (I go through alot of computers a year ;><)
- No I do not. My father's account does.

Help me ><;

Note: Sorry, but I don't really like Rika's new speech pattern. The 'yes' thing seems a bit forced. Imo.

ANOTHER NOTE?!: I opened my folder than contains the demo, it has no 'save' folder... I don't know if there should be one or not...

~Jaymer
Old 2008-10-08, 09:50   Link #335
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Well, the "yes" was a bit of an experiment. It did feel forced at times, I admit, so we're considering other methods.

We got some confirmation from our Japanese native helper about what effect Rika's speech has, and here's what we've figured out:

Putting "desu" on the end of everything, even when the function "desu" provides is already given by a "masu" verb, is like a shorthand way of speaking politely - except that she's not doing it quite right. Her attempts to be polite that are only occasionally correct are very moe.

Really, the Yen Press manga translation having her say "sir" with everything does the job pretty well; I'm not sure we'll do the same, but we'll work something out.

What we won't do is go back to her being just correctly polite. I'm willing to bet that part of what's so jarring about "yes" is that you got used to her not saying something like that, but then again we could probably use something a little better than that word to convey her cuteness.

Anyway, that's my little essay on translation

I forgot I didn't say it before, but thanks for the info Sonozaki!
Old 2008-10-08, 21:10   Link #336
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymer View Post
Thanks Mion,

Question Answers:
- Yes I have, on a previous computer. (I go through alot of computers a year ;><)
- No I do not. My father's account does.

Help me ><;

Note: Sorry, but I don't really like Rika's new speech pattern. The 'yes' thing seems a bit forced. Imo.

ANOTHER NOTE?!: I opened my folder than contains the demo, it has no 'save' folder... I don't know if there should be one or not...

~Jaymer
Okay, give this build of onscripter-en a try: http://www.sendspace.com/file/09goyx

Unzip and copy onscripter-en.exe to the translation path folder (but back up the original first, just in case)

Hope this helps,

Edit: Yes, onscripter puts the save files in a different folder than the game folder.
Old 2008-10-09, 01:22   Link #337
Jaymer

Quote:
Okay, give this build of onscripter-en a try: http://www.sendspace.com/file/09goyx

Unzip and copy onscripter-en.exe to the translation path folder (but back up the original first, just in case)

Hope this helps,

Edit: Yes, onscripter puts the save files in a different folder than the game folder.
Nope, doesn't work :\
TT_TT This su——cks...

~Jaymer
Old 2008-10-09, 22:24   Link #338
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Shoot.

Try one more thing:
1) create a folder called "saves" in the demo game folder (not the patch folder).
2) Go to the patch folder and make a shortcut to "onscripter-en.exe" (right-click it and select "Create Shortcut".)
3) Right-click the shortcut you created and select "Properties".
In the "Target" line, after the long full name of "onscripter-en.exe", add "-s ..\saves", so that the Target line looks something like
Quote:
C:\<blahblahblah>\higurashi\English\onscripter-en.exe -s ..\saves
Now double-click the shortcut to play, and let's see if it works.

If not... maybe you need to run in XP Compatibility Mode? Though I'm not sure that would cause the same problem... Doe anyone with Vista recognize what might be going on here?

Old 2008-10-10, 00:14   Link #339
Jaymer

Quote:
Shoot.

Try one more thing:
1) create a folder called "saves" in the demo game folder (not the patch folder).
2) Go to the patch folder and make a shortcut to "onscripter-en.exe" (right-click it and select "Create Shortcut".)
3) Right-click the shortcut you created and select "Properties".
In the "Target" line, after the long full name of "onscripter-en.exe", add "-s ..\saves", so that the Target line looks something like

Now double-click the shortcut to play, and let's see if it works.

If not... maybe you need to run in XP Compatibility Mode? Though I'm not sure that would cause the same problem... Doe anyone with Vista recognize what might be going on here?

-hug-
I LOVE YOU MION!!
You made it work~
Thanks so muuuuuuuuuch~
Much love for you... <3

~Jaymer

Note: Will you be translating the entire Higurashi series too?

Last edited by Jaymer; 2008-10-10 at 02:18.
Old 2008-10-10, 00:17   Link #340
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymer View Post
Will you be translating Matsuribayashi-hen too?
I'll be happy when they finish Onikakushi-hen.

Btw, how's that coming along? With any luck, it'll be ready for Halloween.