AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-24, 18:43   Link #1
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~

Ow, wow, I did not expect this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
魔法遣いに大切なこと ~夏のソラ~
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~

Original Work & Script: Yamada Norie
Director: Kobayashi Osamu
Original Character Concept: Yoshizuki Kumichi
Animation Production: HAL FILM MAKER

Broadcast starts in Summer 2008.
Ha-ha. When the first series came out in 2003, I felt like I was the only person who liked it even remotely. 8)

It's no groundbreaking work of genius, but I am honestly glad they are bringing it back. And with Osamu Kobayashi at the helm... it just couldn't be better.

Am I really that much alone in liking Someday's Dreamers?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 18:53   Link #2
NeoSam

I would like to know if this anime is based on the new manga with the same title: Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ which started serialization on 26/2/2008 in Shounen Ace magazine?

or is it an original anime?
Old 2008-03-24, 22:39   Link #3
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

I suppose this is somewhat relevant...

Manga title page (scanlation in progress)

Live-action movie preview that was also announced in that issue.

The LA movie does not have the "Natsu no Sora" subtitle, but it's still about Suzuki Sora, not Yume or Nami.

If it's airing in summer, the manga won't be getting much of a head start. I can't help but wonder how this triple release will work out.
Old 2008-03-24, 23:14   Link #4
Shana

First...

*Screams like crazy*

Okay so, what is this? OAV? 2nd series? Movie? An anime-only story? A new series with new characters?

Source of the announcement, please?

EDIT: Sorry, was really busy screaming. Didn't realize it was a Movie adaptation. But it will be with other characters, or Yume and her gang?
Old 2008-03-25, 00:16   Link #5
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

No, apparently they're doing a manga (3rd series), a live-action movie, and an anime adaptation. New story, new characters, with Suzuki Sora as the protagonist.

Currently scanlating the first chapter of the manga, which should be done in about a week hopefully. I'll also be getting the next Shounen Ace coming out in a couple of days, which should have the official announcement for the anime adaptation.
Old 2008-03-26, 08:10   Link #6
Nayuta

What happened to J.C.Staff? I loved the first series, I hope they keep designs the same in Natsu no Sora too.

First post, yay!
Nayuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 10:45   Link #7
manuloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
I would like to know if this anime is based on the new manga with the same title: Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ which started serialization on 26/2/2008 in Shounen Ace magazine?

or is it an original anime?
Yep it's based on this manga :

manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 03:54   Link #8
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Just finished scanlating the first chapter of the manga for anyone interested. The first chapter was kinda meh overall, hope it picks up later. The second chapter is more interesting though. Seems like this time the protagonist, Sora, has problems other than just being terminally shy .
Old 2008-03-29, 14:59   Link #9
Claes
Claes lover

*Post*

Some question, did the production team still the same with the original Someday's Dreamer?
I hope they keep the beautifull animation and music, one of the selling point of this series
Claes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 16:15   Link #10
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claes View Post
*Post*

Some question, did the production team still the same with the original Someday's Dreamer?
I hope they keep the beautifull animation and music, one of the selling point of this series
It's a different team behind this show - HAL Film Maker is animating rather than JC Staff and the new director is Osamu Kobayashi, who directed Paradise Kiss and BECK.

This could be both a good thing and a bad thing. The whole point of the Someday's Dreamers world is that magic is an accepted part of every day life and is very normal, something which Kobayashi is excellent at bringing out - his animation is very nuanced and "verité" if that makes any sense. However, in the past I've found his work really very boring indeed - I found both shows utterly lacking in energy, and his work on Kemonozume was static and lifeless (although he was saddled with a pretty dumb script on his episode). Masami Shimoda has unfortunately died since the first series was made, but I'm hopeful that Kobayashi will either capture the same atmosphere as the original show or enhance it (perhaps by hewing closer to the look of the manga?)

HAL Film Maker I have no qualms about as long as they have a decent amount of money to play with (given the cross-media blitz on Natsu no Sora there's clearly something bankrolling it!). Whilst they're not known for flashy animation because they don't tend to do very high-profile shows, their work on shows like Princess Tutu and Pretear show they can pull out the flash when necessary, and work on shows like Uta~Kata and Aria shows that the animation staff know their way around fantasy slice-of-life. I just hope all turns out well.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 16:44   Link #11
Claes
Claes lover

How bout music?
Old 2008-03-30, 06:39   Link #12
manuloz

Trailer from TAF :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM8m4aX0Z_k

Did Kobayashi made the concept design for his show ? Well i see Yusuke Yoshigaki credited as Chara Designer.
Old 2008-03-30, 06:52   Link #13
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuloz View Post
Trailer from TAF :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM8m4aX0Z_k

Did Kobayashi made the concept design for his show ? Well i see Yusuke Yoshigaki credited as Chara Designer.
Looks unmistakenably Kobayashi, and a lot nicer than Beck.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 06:55   Link #14
manuloz

Yep that's what i think, he might have done the concept design uncredited.
Well that's cool to see Yusuke Yoshigaki there, maybe more Gainax animators will show up ^^
Old 2008-03-30, 08:12   Link #15
Woland
Latin Rascal

As feared seems a typical Kobayashi work, and something I feel totally out of place (for this series at least). Even Beck was quite nice and smooth in the beginning (one episode), oh but that's probably me... I just don't like his style of animation/direction. (or maybe it's better wait for a decent looking trailer)
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 09:49   Link #16
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Looks quite different from J.C. Staff, which I am very sorry about.

But at the same time, this could be good. The trailer looked very solid, even meticulous.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 11:45   Link #17
BluWacky
尻の竜

Eeew, Kobayashi mouths and jerky movement. I know, I'm shallow, but it's an ugly style of animation - which is a shame given how beautifully atmospheric the design of the show appears to be. Maybe I can let it pass.

On the positive side, I am convinced that the live action movie at least is using Takefumi Hikata for the music. The theme playing over that trailer is so similar melodically to "Where The Sky and the Earth Meet" from the original series that it can't be anyone else.

(I am slightly amazed that sakiwe has managed to post something where the audio from the video he's trying to showcase is clearly audible, though. The long Kaiba trailer looks awesome, but it's slightly off-putting having the audio from a Chii's Sweet Home advert playing loudly over the background...)

And did I see Kera in that trailer? No sign of Oyamada-sensei or Yume, but I wasn't expecting any of the characters from the original series to show up (I've not read the second manga series so have no idea who's in that).
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 03:41   Link #18
Claes
Claes lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
On the positive side, I am convinced that the live action movie at least is using Takefumi Hikata for the music. The theme playing over that trailer is so similar melodically to "Where The Sky and the Earth Meet" from the original series that it can't be anyone else.
REALLY?!!!
I love his music!
All of his instrumental piece in the OST is truly awesome!

edit
I just see the trailer. I have no comment for the LA (those great music...). For the anime, the background still beautiful, but the character design is quite dissapointing..

Last edited by Claes; 2008-04-01 at 04:06.
Old 2008-04-01, 06:45   Link #19
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Am I really that much alone in liking Someday's Dreamers?
Not really! I'm also one of those few rare people who liked this series (and the manga) quite a bit.

I'm sort of glad, though, that J.C. Staff is not involved in this. Their graphical style is just... too lame sometimes. But hey, it's Hal Film Maker, which has a nice pedigree in slice of life shows, having done ARIA. And, by the gods, please keep Takefumi Hikata for the music, the show won't just be the same without him.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:02   Link #20
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

More anime info (cast list and production staff) from the latest Shounen Ace.
Oh, and chapter 3 features Magical Maid Suzuki Sora

Chapter 2 scanlations should be out in a week or so.
Oh, and if anyone got the chapter 1 scanlations, there was a typo, so the fixed page is here:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...es-c01p015.png

Last edited by selkirk; 2008-04-26 at 11:12.
selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life