AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-03, 00:12   Link #161
Kudryavka

Hey hey, I was just clarifying Langknow. I'm not calling you a jerk or anything. I'm just saying that you don't seem to have authority over the kid. You're like friends with him. Have you ever expressed your concern over your brother's problem? If so, what were their reactions?
btw, I don't see playing CS constantly as being that big of a deal; I do see his lashing out (i.e. assaulting you with airguns, spending less time on his hw and (I guess?) getting considerably lower marks in school) as where the real concern should be.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 01:10   Link #162
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Hey hey, I was just clarifying Langknow. I'm not calling you a jerk or anything. I'm just saying that you don't seem to have authority over the kid. You're like friends with him. Have you ever expressed your concern over your brother's problem? If so, what were their reactions?
btw, I don't see playing CS constantly as being that big of a deal; I do see his lashing out (i.e. assaulting you with airguns, spending less time on his hw and (I guess?) getting considerably lower marks in school) as where the real concern should be.
I don't have any proof to back it up, but I do see addiction for CS as the problem. Addiction lowers mental health, and when combined with the constant adrenaline rush to the point that you are used to them, they produce the result that the OP's brother is in. Again, nothing to back it up.

That said, I was in the same situation the brother was in at the end of 8th grade, throughout 9th grade, and the beginning of 10 grade (now I'm approaching the end of 11th grade). I would often burst in anger, especially when my parents told me to stop playing. The lectures they gave didn't help me, either, because I they kept pointing out my faults (and it was the same thing over and over again). My dad got so mad that sometime he nearly destroyed the computer. After all that, I just graduallly eased out of it, so I have no solution to offer. I think I got out of it because of more pressing school works, desire to improve myself and to do other things I had wanted to do, new addiction to animesuki forum; plus, my playmates quit playing.

I can't see him improving without a gradual period of calming down or spending an extended period in a calm environment. You can't reflect fully about what you do/did if you are agitated all the time.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 02:05   Link #163
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Maybe it really is just one of those things that wear out in time?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 06:59   Link #164
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am not sure about that though. Most of us did, but we still have remissions when a new game comes out.

Right now I am hooked onto Drummania and Guitarfreaks in the arcade. It seems that I can play real life guitar and drums, but I CAN'T EVEN PLAY DRUMMANIA WITHOUT AUTOBASS!!!!

Besides, Counterstrike is boring. Play DOTA instead.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 14:05   Link #165
Justin Kim
*Artist

Well apparently, the moddable feature of Counter-Strike gives him new ideas on "how to play," each day.
Old 2009-06-04, 15:01   Link #166
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Or do this one
On numerous occasions, Hitchcock said he was sent by his father to the local police station with a note asking the officer to lock him away for ten minutes as punishment for behaving badly.
Read it in a strategy book (handle him directly and he will rebel).
Old 2009-06-04, 23:57   Link #167
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ Maybe it really is just one of those things that wear out in time?
Pretty much.

He's in a phase where he doesn't see anything outside of his current video game life. No future, no possibilities - for him, life is all about playing video games. But until he's able to see what more life has to offer, or until he's forced to shoulder the responsibilities of his upcoming adult life...
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-06, 18:47   Link #168
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
^

He will play... and play... and play endlessly 'till he dies. And he won't give a darn about anything besides games. But I wonder if his playing games will make him a game pro and go to WCG.
Old 2009-06-07, 06:18   Link #169
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Nawh, I was a hardcore gamer and so was one of my bros, he got out of it and so did I...sure it takes some time but eventually everyone asks themselves "wtf have I been doing?"
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 02:37   Link #170
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I thought you meant drug addiction, which I have experience with, but since it's about gaming I'm not sure I'll be much help. I wish you good luck in either case.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 20:29   Link #171
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
my parents keep on "feeding" him with all these gaming accessories making me pay the bills
Why don't you stop paying the bills?
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 04:16   Link #172
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Not if you "feed" him, while I am trying to take responsibility. Like I mentioned earlier, they keep on giving him gaming accessories or better applications to run his games more "smoothly."
D: they should stop doing that he's 17 he can work for those things himself, when he's 18 they should give him the responsibility of paying a part of his own bills. My parents decided to make me pay for my own school bills which I could because I have a job next to my study, it doesn't affect my grades and teaches more about responsibility and about money, you want him to stop acting like a spoiled brat then get him a job and make him pay for his own things then he'll actually see how much those pc accessories cost and he'll have to be happy to at leased have some. My parents would kill me if I asked them for something in my pc to make my games run smoother, if it was for school and I couldn't afford it myself (and it was necessary at that moment) then they would give me a loan for it lol

really the kid is way too spoiled, I wasn't even that spoiled at 17 let alone at 15. Your parents should just stop doing that, he'll bitch and whine or even throw things for a couple days then be cranky for a week or month but after he realizes he isn't getting his way and he has to actually go outside and do things himself he will and this might actually help him realize there is more than just his game and room and would actually force him to go outside
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 20:11   Link #173
Justin Kim
*Artist

I mean this addiction won't pass over time, he has been on CS for at least 2 years by now, and it certainly does not help if a parent keeps buying him accesories to continue his gaming.

If I don't pay the bill, my parents will only yell at me, or kick me out of there house; implying that all of this is my responsibly when in actuality they are way too stubborn to realize they have been literally "feeding" his gaming even further.

~Update Status: Now he has started on StarCraft, and literally he has been sitting around; swapping from CS to StarCraft whenever anyone invites him. All of his online friends are just prolonging this detoriating behavior, and by motivating him to play further - he becomes easily susceptible to playing even longer.

My parents are the really typical, most often, stereotyped Korean Parents. Strict, ignorant at many times (believing in ridiculuous superstitions, and implying that they are always right). I find it funny that sometimes the younger generation is actually smarter than the older generation, but the older generation refuses to admit any form of compliance towards us.
Old 2009-06-09, 20:46   Link #174
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

He might start prostituting himself if your parents cut him off, just a fair warning.

In my experience, that's usually how it turns out.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 20:47   Link #175
Kudryavka

Quote:
My parents are the really typical, most often, stereotyped Korean Parents. Strict, ignorant at many times (believing in ridiculuous superstitions, and implying that they are always right). I find it funny that sometimes the younger generation is actually smarter than the older generation, but the older generation refuses to admit any form of compliance towards us.
Not to be picky, but the stereotypical Korean parents prioritize studies and good marks in school over everything else, and they'd probably slap your folks around a bit for emphasizing your brother's behavior that distracts from studies.
Not sure if you want to classify your parents as stereotypical Korean parents. :P

But seriously, at this point, you should probably leave your brother to see what he's doing to himself. I know you're just looking out for your bro, but he's 17; he needs to learn how to take care of himself and get business done. Let him see for himself what he's doing, since telling him and trying to warn him obviously aren't working. He needs some "hands-on" experience.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 23:57   Link #176
FateAnomaly

It seems that your parents like your younger brother than they like you. They would rather kick you out for doing good things rather than kick your brother out for doing wrong things. You may want to plan to start moving out of the house.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 01:13   Link #177
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I mean this addiction won't pass over time, he has been on CS for at least 2 years by now, and it certainly does not help if a parent keeps buying him accesories to continue his gaming.

If I don't pay the bill, my parents will only yell at me, or kick me out of there house; implying that all of this is my responsibly when in actuality they are way too stubborn to realize they have been literally "feeding" his gaming even further.

~Update Status: Now he has started on StarCraft, and literally he has been sitting around; swapping from CS to StarCraft whenever anyone invites him. All of his online friends are just prolonging this detoriating behavior, and by motivating him to play further - he becomes easily susceptible to playing even longer.

Can't you cut his electricity till he pays you back?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 01:31   Link #178
FateAnomaly

Didn't he already said that his parents force him to pay for it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 18:21   Link #179
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Not to be picky, but the stereotypical Korean parents prioritize studies and good marks in school over everything else, and they'd probably slap your folks around a bit for emphasizing your brother's behavior that distracts from studies.
Not sure if you want to classify your parents as stereotypical Korean parents. :P

But seriously, at this point, you should probably leave your brother to see what he's doing to himself. I know you're just looking out for your bro, but he's 17; he needs to learn how to take care of himself and get business done. Let him see for himself what he's doing, since telling him and trying to warn him obviously aren't working. He needs some "hands-on" experience.
They certainly did that to me with my studies. It is just because he is the younger brother, they tend to be more lenient with this behavior.
Old 2009-06-10, 19:17   Link #180
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Well there's really a few ways to handle this imo...(from personal experience and what not)

1) He gets so frigging good it gets boring -> Yeah...i don't play much, so i can't really relate, but my friend and I got so good at halo 3 and cod 4 + cod5 we just stopped playing...even though we had like 4 hours total playing time on all the games.

2) Limit his playing time -> Don't remove it all at once...that'll turn out really bad. I used to do a 1 hour limit. It's really not that bad. Now i only play like 1 hour every 2 weeks...but then again, maybe it's cuz i like other things as well. (Like a life -> tell him to get a frigging life, go out with a girl or something, stop hanging around guys)

3)...if none of that works really just pull him over and just sit him down and go "why the hell do you keep playing this?" or do a "If you don't get straight A's, we're not letting you play as much", so that he has an incentive to at least work hard in school to get rewarded.

The way i see it, make sure he understands that playing games IS NOT A MUST, but rather A REWARD.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote