AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-20, 03:10   Link #21
Z3120

Dennou Coil (can't be stressed enough how underappreciated it is) and Mushishi (you'd be surprise how many times I've heard people said it was boring...).

Edit: Some others I forgot to mention are Hikaru no Go and Hajime no Ippo. Kaleido Star too (though a bit old), Tenshi na Konamaiki, Yakitate Japan! and Busou Renkin.
Old 2008-01-20, 10:16   Link #22
andromeda0201

Second Towards the Terra, one of the best space opera sci-fi animes you'll find in recent years
Baccano and Seirei no Moribito are also very good
Old 2008-01-20, 11:55   Link #23
FinnMacCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Hence the joke. I really didn't want to spell it out though the use of a emoticon, but in hindsight, perhaps I should have.
Obviously I have a terrible sense of humor. My apologies.
Old 2008-01-20, 14:53   Link #24
Qwazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Hence the joke. I really didn't want to spell it out though the use of a emoticon, but in hindsight, perhaps I should have.
I wouldn't have laughed if not for the reply by Mr. Clueless. So I guess it helped that you didn't
Old 2008-01-20, 15:05   Link #25
Freeze

Yugo The Negotiator is really underrated, and I doubt much people have even heard of the show. Its got alot of suspense and is a really awesome show. But its kind of old it was made in 2001 or something like that.

S-Cry-Ed was also a really good but underrated anime. sure it was clichéd at times but they did that in really awesome ways.
Old 2008-01-20, 15:20   Link #26
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Kaiji. Most underrated show currently airing.
Truer words have never been spoken. Kaiji is THE BEST series I am currently following and it is incredibly overlooked. Each episode is better than the last.
Old 2008-01-20, 15:46   Link #27
Lintendo

I suggest Seirei no Moribito as well. I've browsed numerous blogs summarizing 2007's best and worst, and have not seen the slightest mention of SnM in a significant majority of them. The few that did either had it as the best, or "anime I haven't watched yet (I don't have time) but heard is good. This depresses me to no end. T - T

I don't feel that Baccano is overlooked anymore. A lot of people, thanks to threads/topics like these, seem to catch on

Oh, and I'd also like to shine some light on to Hanada Shounen Shi. This anime is simple, yet made me cry on several occasions. Many overlook it simply due to its art style (and okay, they are greeted/tormented by Backstreet Boys singing the OP). However, character designs (and er... boyband music) aside, everything else is top notch. Animation was great.
Old 2008-01-20, 17:25   Link #28
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Truer words have never been spoken. Kaiji is THE BEST series I am currently following and it is incredibly overlooked. Each episode is better than the last.
I think a lot of people are passing on it just because of the art-style, but it's not just that. A lot of people only want magic or cute girls, so that entire group's out. Then there's the people who saw a few episodes of Akagi, hated it, and seeing how similar Kaiji is, they're not interested. [Kaiji is endlessly better than Akagi, though, so it's really a shame. Lastly, there's all those people who simply never ever discover its existence. I hope the show's doing better in Japan, because I *really* want a second season. But yeah, watch Kaiji! The art is really perfect for this kind of show, it's brutally realistic and makes you connect with the characters and their situations.

Regarding Seirei no Moribito, I didn't realize it was that overlooked. I mean, I see a lot of people recommend it here, but I suppose not enough considering how extraordinarily good it is. I think it is, without a doubt, one of the best animes of 2007. Probably one of my top 2 shows from that year. It pretty much excels in every aspect.
Old 2008-01-20, 18:07   Link #29
d2daMax

Desert Punk (Sunabouzu) never gets mentioned in this forum and its one harlarious series and the main character never cease to amaze me with his crazy antics
Old 2008-01-20, 18:54   Link #30
tbl
Affably Evil

I'd like to add Tokko and Jyu-Oh-Sei to the list
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-20, 19:19   Link #31
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I'll certainly second Voices of a Distant Star. I used to really dislike ovas, thinking they were all poorly done and a good show couldn't be developed in a mere 20 minutes, but it is probably one of my favorite animes of all time.

I'd say Haibane Renmei, though I think it's finally beginning to get the credit it deserves.

The original Card Captor Sakura was very impressive, but it tends to get ignored by many because the English dub was so incredibly awful. The original and the dub are so very different, I think of them as two different shows, that happen to be cursed using the same footage

In particularly I think Zettai Shonen was pretty good and very few of seen it, it is a bit slow, but the first story arc had a pretty strong ending especially. It's just a show that moves at the pace of real life, which is disorienting to some viewers.

Twin Spica seems again slower but very well done and interesting. It almost reminds me of Shinigami's Ballad, with an almost tragic tone to it. I've not finished it yet, but thus far I've been nothing but impressed, even if the animation is a less than I would have hoped for.

Finally Princess Tutu comes to mind. It has a very difficult for many to accept title, but if you look past that, midway through the first season it actually starts getting really decent. By the time the second season rules around, it is nothing short of amazing. I am very grateful for the friend that suggested I give it a fair chance.
Old 2008-01-21, 02:00   Link #32
blewin

I second Baccano!, Oh! Edo Rocket and Denno Coil. All three are what you could call original and unique, which probably is why they don't draw the majority of fans in. I notice someone also mentioned Mushishi. I'm not sure whether it's underrated as it also has received vast acclaim from the anime community, but then it's definitely something beautiful that my brother sadly, does not seem to be able to enjoy nor understand.
Old 2008-01-21, 05:00   Link #33
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
I'd say Haibane Renmei, though I think it's finally beginning to get the credit it deserves.

The original Card Captor Sakura was very impressive, but it tends to get ignored by many because the English dub was so incredibly awful. The original and the dub are so very different, I think of them as two different shows, that happen to be cursed using the same footage

Finally Princess Tutu comes to mind. It has a very difficult for many to accept title, but if you look past that, midway through the first season it actually starts getting really decent. By the time the second season rules around, it is nothing short of amazing. I am very grateful for the friend that suggested I give it a fair chance.
I second both Haibane Renmei and Cardcaptor Sakura. For Cardcaptor Sakura the subbed and dubbed versions are two of the most different versions I've seen really, because not only was there change to dialog, but there were also changes to plot and subplots, for the worse might I say. Needless to say it is quite popular among older anime fans, but right now it's really being thrown aside as a typical magical girl shoujo that would probably suck. Haibane Renmei is just amazing. Like Elfen Lied in many ways, it relies on "looking outside the box" to find the series' true message, but unlike CCS, it will not be fully enjoyable by everyone.

About Princess Tutu I think it's about time for me to watch it as well. Indeed the title does put me off, but I've seen and heard many compliments about it so I might give it a try later on. Actually the main thing that puts me off is the number of episodes. Usually anything after 24-26 is for me, "too long," besides a few exceptions of course. As you can see my top ten is mostly 13 episode series, OVAs, and movies.
Old 2008-01-21, 05:11   Link #34
!Sky*

O.O
Definitely. Watch. Kaiji. I cannot stress this enough.

Dennou Coil and Princess TuTu sounds interesting based on your reviews. I'll give both of them a shot.
Old 2008-01-21, 06:05   Link #35
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

How can Mushishi be over looked, it is recommended all the time.

I bet half of the people never seen Kemonzume or dislike it because of the art. This anime isnt even on the map for most people out there.
Old 2008-01-21, 09:54   Link #36
gonzo562

the third, the girl with the blue eye(2006)

and zegapain(2006)
Old 2008-01-21, 11:59   Link #37
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Figure 17. Sadly, this series aired sometime before torrents became popular so it's seriously overlooked. It is one of the best slice of life and sisterly-love-themed series I've seen, not to mention that it is well coupled wit something rare in the genre, a little action i think this is the first series I ever rated with a 10. (and I have only done so 5 times again since that )

Infinite Ryvius, it suffered the same fate as Figure 17, being aired a little before the age of torrents. Nevertheless, it is a very good series by the same director who later went to produce Code Geass. It has a similar theme to the book titled "The Lord of the flies", for those that have read it.
Old 2008-01-21, 19:20   Link #38
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Planetes, I think it came out in 05 but it's really good.
Old 2008-01-21, 20:40   Link #39
Troilism

O as another suggestion try Kamichu!

I just watched the first episode and it was so absurdly odd but pretty good. It's about a girl who out of no where declares she has become a god. It's a slice of life show so I dunno if you're into that or not but the first episode was really cool, even though crazy stuff was happening it still kept its mellow tone.
Old 2008-01-21, 20:47   Link #40
d2daMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
How can Mushishi be over looked, it is recommended all the time.

I bet half of the people never seen Kemonzume or dislike it because of the art. This anime isnt even on the map for most people out there.
At first I avoided the anime because of the art haha, but I eventually watched it and it was pretty good
Closed Thread

Tags
obscure, underappreciated